|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Macon respond to Charles being locked in the pantry?
(a) He convinces Rose to let Charles out.
(b) He tells Charles he will be home soon to get him out.
(c) He convinces Porter to apologize to Charles.
(d) He calls Muriel to come over and calm Edward.
2. What prompts Macon to pull over?
(a) Sarah tells him she wants a divorce.
(b) Sarah tells him she is pregnant.
(c) Macon wants to consult his map.
(d) Sarah needs to go to the bathroom.
3. According to Garner, how does Macon react to the neighbors' offers of help after Edward dies?
(a) Macon asks them to fix the house up while they are gone.
(b) Macon accepts their help to cook and clean for them.
(c) Macon rejects offers of help to bring a casserole or mow the lawn.
(d) Macon tells them to mind their own business.
4. How does Macon spend his time after returning from his trip?
(a) Working on his book.
(b) Watching TV.
(c) Researching his next trip.
(d) Organizing the household.
5. Where does Macon display flexibility in his schedule?
(a) He switches to showering at night.
(b) He works three days a week instead of five.
(c) He switches to eating at restaurants.
(d) He takes an afternoon break on Wednesdays.
6. How do the Leary children react to the news that they are not going to be world travelers?
(a) They are understanding.
(b) They couldn't be happier.
(c) They refuse to talk about it.
(d) They are despondent.
7. Why does Macon stay at his childhood home after his injury?
(a) So he can get away from construction at his home.
(b) So he doesn't have to deal with his neighbors.
(c) So he can get away from Sarah.
(d) So Rose can take care of him.
8. Who raises Macon and his siblings after their father dies in the war?
(a) Their mother.
(b) Their grandparents.
(c) Their step-father.
(d) Their aunt.
9. How does Macon get injured?
(a) Edward bites Macon on his leg.
(b) Macon trips over the sidewalk on his way home from the store.
(c) Macon falls down the stairs while carrying groceries.
(d) Edward knocks Macon to the ground after the cat spooks him.
10. How does Macon sign his letters to Sarah?
(a) Love Always.
11. What does Macon do after Sarah has left the restaurant?
(a) Macon asks the waiter to box his leftovers and drives home.
(b) Macon finishes his dinner and calls Rose to pick him up.
(c) Macon waits for Sarah to return with the car.
(d) Macon pays for the bill and meets Sarah at her place.
12. Where does Macon and his niece, Susan, travel to?
(d) New York.
13. Why has Julian tracked Macon down at his childhood home?
(a) Julian wants to invite him to dinner.
(b) Julian has his paycheck.
(c) Julian went to his house and found it empty.
(d) Julian is angry because Macon has missed a deadline.
14. What does Muriel do the fall of her senior year of high school?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Learns to ski.
(c) Gets married.
(d) Studies abroad.
15. Where are Macon and Sarah returning from their vacation?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The desert.
(c) The lake.
(d) The beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Macon wearing when he first meets Sarah?
2. What does Macon wear to bed?
3. How does Macon spend most of his time after Sarah leaves?
4. What surprises Macon and Muriel as they are talking about her son and ex-husband?
5. How does Macon occupy his time on the plane on his first trip in the novel?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)