|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Macon spend his time after returning from his trip?
(a) Watching TV.
(b) Researching his next trip.
(c) Organizing the household.
(d) Working on his book.
2. At his childhood home, what does Macon give Julian that Julian has NOT asked for?
(a) The remaining pages of a novel he is writing.
(b) The final draft of his autobiography.
(c) The first draft of his next book.
(d) The remaining pages of his manuscript.
3. Why does Muriel have trouble running the credit card through the embossing machine?
(a) She is trying to spare her manicure.
(b) It is a new machine, and she hasn't learned how to use it yet.
(c) Macon's credit card is worn from use.
(d) She is distracted by dogs barking.
4. What does Sarah tell Macon in the car?
(a) He is not a comfort and his little habits are wearisome.
(b) She feels sick and wants him to pull over.
(c) He doesn't love her anymore.
(d) She still loves him after all these years.
5. When Julian calls, what does Macon negotiate for?
(a) A two week extension on his manuscript.
(b) An advance for a novel he's writing.
(c) A one month vacation.
(d) A pay increase for his next book.
6. According to Julian, what will the next series be about?
(a) Major European cities.
(b) Major Canadian cities.
(c) Major South American cities.
(d) Major U.S. cities.
7. Why is Julian disappointed when he brings over papers about New York?
(a) Julian realizes he has missed dinner.
(b) Julian realizes he forgot an important document.
(c) Julian realizes Macon isn't home.
(d) Julian realizes Sarah isn't there.
8. Who does Macon write for?
(a) People who are looking for jobs overseas.
(b) People who travel on business and are not interested in sightseeing.
(c) People who are afraid to fly.
(d) People who travel to remote and exotic locations.
9. What do Macon and Sarah do when Macon pulls over?
(a) They don't talk or touch one another.
(b) They make a plan to see a counselor when they get home.
(c) Macon pumps gas while Sarah sits in the car.
(d) Sarah uses the pay phone to call a doctor.
10. How do his neighbors react to the news that Sarah has left?
(a) They invite him to potluck dinners.
(b) They begin to call him day and night.
(c) They ignore him when he waves hello.
(d) They don't know Sarah has left him.
11. How does Macon sign his letters to Sarah?
(a) Love Always.
12. What happens to Muriel and Norman's son, Alexander, when he's born?
(a) Alexander is born blind.
(b) Alexander is born very prematurely.
(c) Alexander is born with fetal alcohol syndrome.
(d) Alexander is born with a hole in his heart.
13. What does Macon do while waiting for a flight back home from his first trip in the novel?
(a) Macon goes shopping and skips dinner.
(b) Macon takes a tour of the city.
(c) Macon eats at a famous cafe.
(d) Macon watches TV and eats nonperishable groceries in his room.
14. What does Edward do when Muriel arrives for Edward's first lesson?
(a) He jumps on her.
(b) He lies down next to her.
(c) He barks at her.
(d) He bites her.
15. Why do Macon and Sarah look like they are on two different trips?
(a) Sarah is dressed for skiing and Macon has on shorts.
(b) Macon is tan and Sarah is pale.
(c) Macon is dressed for the beach and Sarah is bundled up.
(d) Macon is pale and Sarah is tan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ethan when he is killed?
2. What does Macon daydream about when Sarah calls?
3. How does Macon respond to Charles being locked in the pantry?
4. What does Macon agree to regarding Edward?
5. When Macon thinks of Sarah in her apartment, what does he imagine?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)