|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Macon and Susan discuss at dinner?
(a) If Macon will remarry.
(b) The trouble Susan is having with her dad.
(c) What college Susan wants to attend.
(d) Susan's memories of Ethan.
2. Why does Garner Bolt visit Macon?
(a) Garner wants to inform Macon about a string of break-ins.
(b) A tree fell on Macon's roof, and Garner comes over to help.
(c) The neighbors hear strange noises and send Garner over to check on him.
(d) Garner's wife sent him over to check on Macon after neighbors saw newspapers and mail piling up.
3. What happens at the restaurant Macon goes to in New York?
(a) Macon runs into Muriel.
(b) Macon gets food poisoning.
(c) Macon sees Sarah with another man.
(d) Macon has a panic attack.
4. What does Macon agree to regarding Edward?
(a) To get some training for him.
(b) To put him in his kennel at night.
(c) To keep him out of the house.
(d) To get him groomed by a professional.
5. What is the main reason Macon keeps Edward?
(a) Macon wants his company.
(b) Edward belonged to Ethan.
(c) Edward is a good watchdog.
(d) Edward belongs to Sarah.
6. What does Edward do each time Muriel leaves after training?
7. What restaurant do Macon and Sarah agree to meet at for dinner?
(a) Old Shore.
(b) Old Bay.
(c) Old Cove.
(d) Old Dock.
8. What does Macon do while waiting for a flight back home from his first trip in the novel?
(a) Macon goes shopping and skips dinner.
(b) Macon watches TV and eats nonperishable groceries in his room.
(c) Macon takes a tour of the city.
(d) Macon eats at a famous cafe.
9. How does Sarah sign her letters to Macon?
(a) Take Care.
(b) Yours Truly.
(c) I love you.
10. What does Macon wear to bed?
(a) Whatever he wears that day.
(c) Tomorrow's underwear.
11. Where are Macon and Sarah returning from their vacation?
(a) The beach.
(b) The desert.
(c) The lake.
(d) The mountains.
12. How do the Leary children find out they are not going to be world travelers, like their mother said?
(a) Their mother loses all her savings after the stock market crash.
(b) They are met at the Baltimore airport by their grandparents.
(c) Their mother is afraid to fly.
(d) Their mother dies in a car accident.
13. How do his neighbors react to the news that Sarah has left?
(a) They begin to call him day and night.
(b) They ignore him when he waves hello.
(c) They don't know Sarah has left him.
(d) They invite him to potluck dinners.
14. According to Macon, what is unusual about Rose's life?
(a) She has traveled all over the world, and has never lived in one place for long.
(b) She is not married or employed and takes care of her brothers.
(c) She lives all by herself, and has never had a partner.
(d) She has been married several times.
15. At Macon's childhood home, why is his typing interrupted?
(a) The phone is ringing.
(b) Someone is knocking on the door.
(c) Someone is yelling to call off his dog.
(d) Rose is calling to help in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Macon travel to on his first trip in the novel?
2. Why does Muriel have trouble running the credit card through the embossing machine?
3. What is Macon wearing on the drive back from their vacation?
4. How do Macon and Sarah meet?
5. Why has Julian tracked Macon down at his childhood home?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)