|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do his neighbors react to the news that Sarah has left?
(a) They don't know Sarah has left him.
(b) They begin to call him day and night.
(c) They invite him to potluck dinners.
(d) They ignore him when he waves hello.
2. What does Macon do after Sarah has left the restaurant?
(a) Macon waits for Sarah to return with the car.
(b) Macon pays for the bill and meets Sarah at her place.
(c) Macon asks the waiter to box his leftovers and drives home.
(d) Macon finishes his dinner and calls Rose to pick him up.
3. Why does Macon feel inadequate with Muriel?
(a) Because she is unfriendly and mean.
(b) Because she makes it so easy to control Edward and he has no control over him.
(c) Because he is intimidated by her good looks.
(d) Because he never finished school and she has a graduate degree.
4. What restaurant do Macon and Sarah agree to meet at for dinner?
(a) Old Dock.
(b) Old Shore.
(c) Old Cove.
(d) Old Bay.
5. What does Grandfather Leary announce the day his mind first begins to wander?
(a) That he doesn't recognize Macon.
(b) That he has another family in Germany.
(c) That he needs his passport.
(d) That he is a government spy.
6. At Macon's childhood home, why is his typing interrupted?
(a) Someone is yelling to call off his dog.
(b) Rose is calling to help in the kitchen.
(c) Someone is knocking on the door.
(d) The phone is ringing.
7. What surprises Macon and Muriel as they are talking about her son and ex-husband?
(a) Macon kisses Muriel.
(b) Julian pays a surprise visit.
(c) Edward jumps up on Muriel.
(d) Rose calls out for help.
8. According to Macon, what does his mother treat like a religion?
9. What does Edward do each time Muriel leaves after training?
10. How does Macon sign his letters to Sarah?
(c) Love Always.
11. On his first trip in the novel, what does Macon do once he has arrived at his destination?
(a) Macon has an expensive lunch, and visits an old friend.
(b) Macon checks in at his hotel and goes sightseeing.
(c) Macon tries breakfast at three different stops, visits hotels in the afternoon.
(d) Macon rents a car and drives to the coast.
12. What is Macon wearing when he first meets Sarah?
(a) Jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers.
(b) A black turtleneck, black pants, and sandals.
(c) A football uniform.
(d) A suit and tie.
13. When Macon thinks of Sarah in her apartment, what does he imagine?
(a) He pictures her with someone else.
(b) He pictures chaos, sneakers in the oven and the sofa heaped with china.
(c) He pictures her crying over him.
(d) He pictures the way she has decorated the rooms.
14. What's significant about the country Grandfather Leary says he's sailing to?
(a) It doesn't exist.
(b) It is his birth country.
(c) It is remote.
(d) It is war-torn.
15. What prompts Macon to pull over?
(a) Sarah tells him she is pregnant.
(b) Sarah tells him she wants a divorce.
(c) Sarah needs to go to the bathroom.
(d) Macon wants to consult his map.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward do when Julian tries to leave?
2. How does Sarah sign her letters to Macon?
3. Who raises Macon and his siblings after their father dies in the war?
4. What is Muriel wearing when Macon picks up Edward?
5. How does Macon spend most of his time after Sarah leaves?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)