|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his first trip in the novel, what does Macon do once he has arrived at his destination?
(a) Macon rents a car and drives to the coast.
(b) Macon tries breakfast at three different stops, visits hotels in the afternoon.
(c) Macon checks in at his hotel and goes sightseeing.
(d) Macon has an expensive lunch, and visits an old friend.
2. What is Macon's injury?
(a) A fractured wrist.
(b) A broken leg.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) A fractured ankle.
3. Why does Sarah grip the dashboard?
(a) Because a deer runs in front of the car.
(b) Because it is raining heavily.
(c) Because Macon is yelling.
(d) Because they are lost.
4. What's significant about the country Grandfather Leary says he's sailing to?
(a) It is war-torn.
(b) It doesn't exist.
(c) It is remote.
(d) It is his birth country.
5. How does Macon sign his letters to Sarah?
(c) Love Always.
6. Why is Julian disappointed when he brings over papers about New York?
(a) Julian realizes he forgot an important document.
(b) Julian realizes he has missed dinner.
(c) Julian realizes Sarah isn't there.
(d) Julian realizes Macon isn't home.
7. What does Edward do when Julian tries to leave?
(a) Edward barks at Julian and bites Macon when Macon grabs his leash.
(b) Edward jumps on Julian and licks his face.
(c) Edward runs back and forth from Macon to Julian, wagging his tail.
(d) Edward blocks the door and when Julian grabs his leash, Edward snarls and nips his hand.
8. What does Julian realize about Macon when he sees him at his childhood home?
(a) Macon is not at home because Sarah has left him.
(b) Macon is not at home because of all the construction.
(c) Macon is looking for a new place to live.
(d) Macon is recovering from his broken leg and not because Sarah has left him.
9. What does Edward do when Muriel arrives for Edward's first lesson?
(a) He lies down next to her.
(b) He bites her.
(c) He jumps on her.
(d) He barks at her.
10. How do Macon and Sarah meet?
(a) At church.
(b) At a party.
(c) At school.
(d) At a play.
11. What does Macon daydream about when Sarah calls?
(a) He daydreams about the two of them sipping sherry and talking about how much they miss one another.
(b) He daydreams about having a romantic candlelit dinner with her.
(c) He daydreams about their first trip to Paris.
(d) He daydreams about going over to her aparment and asking her to come back.
12. Where does Macon take Edward to after leaving the kennel?
(b) His sister's.
(c) Meow-Bow Animal Hospital.
(d) The ASPCA.
13. Why does Muriel have trouble running the credit card through the embossing machine?
(a) She is trying to spare her manicure.
(b) It is a new machine, and she hasn't learned how to use it yet.
(c) She is distracted by dogs barking.
(d) Macon's credit card is worn from use.
14. What country does Grandfather Leary say he's sailing to?
15. What does Macon agree to regarding Edward?
(a) To get some training for him.
(b) To get him groomed by a professional.
(c) To put him in his kennel at night.
(d) To keep him out of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the restaurant where Macon and Sarah agree to meet significant?
2. What are some of Grandfather Leary's inventions?
3. What does Muriel give Macon for Edward?
4. What does Grandfather Leary tell Macon in his dream?
5. Why is Charles locked in the pantry when Macon can't reach Sarah in New York?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)