|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Macon travel to on his first trip in the novel?
2. What do Macon and Susan discuss at dinner?
(a) Susan's memories of Ethan.
(b) What college Susan wants to attend.
(c) If Macon will remarry.
(d) The trouble Susan is having with her dad.
3. According to Macon, what is a huge waste of energy?
(a) The computer.
(b) The television.
(c) The oven.
(d) The dishwasher.
4. How old is Ethan when he is killed?
5. How do the Leary children react to the news that they are not going to be world travelers?
(a) They couldn't be happier.
(b) They refuse to talk about it.
(c) They are understanding.
(d) They are despondent.
6. Where does Macon and his niece, Susan, travel to?
(c) New York.
7. What is the reason Muriel marries and divorces her husband, Norman?
(a) Norman's money.
(b) Muriel's parents.
(c) Muriel's first husband.
(d) Muriel and Norman's baby.
8. How do his neighbors react to the news that Sarah has left?
(a) They don't know Sarah has left him.
(b) They begin to call him day and night.
(c) They ignore him when he waves hello.
(d) They invite him to potluck dinners.
9. What is Macon wearing when he first meets Sarah?
(a) A suit and tie.
(b) A football uniform.
(c) Jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers.
(d) A black turtleneck, black pants, and sandals.
10. When Macon thinks of Sarah in her apartment, what does he imagine?
(a) He pictures her with someone else.
(b) He pictures chaos, sneakers in the oven and the sofa heaped with china.
(c) He pictures the way she has decorated the rooms.
(d) He pictures her crying over him.
11. At Macon's childhood home, why is his typing interrupted?
(a) Rose is calling to help in the kitchen.
(b) The phone is ringing.
(c) Someone is knocking on the door.
(d) Someone is yelling to call off his dog.
12. Why are Macon's siblings leery about Edward?
(a) Because Edward sheds on the furniture.
(b) Because Edward's food is so expensive.
(c) Because Edward is so old.
(d) Because Edward is unruly and rough.
13. At his childhood home, what does Macon give Julian that Julian has NOT asked for?
(a) The remaining pages of a novel he is writing.
(b) The remaining pages of his manuscript.
(c) The final draft of his autobiography.
(d) The first draft of his next book.
14. What happens at the restaurant Macon goes to in New York?
(a) Macon runs into Muriel.
(b) Macon has a panic attack.
(c) Macon gets food poisoning.
(d) Macon sees Sarah with another man.
15. What's significant about the country Grandfather Leary says he's sailing to?
(a) It is his birth country.
(b) It doesn't exist.
(c) It is war-torn.
(d) It is remote.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his first trip in the novel, what does Macon do once he has arrived at his destination?
2. What is Rose giving Julian for Christmas?
3. What is Macon's system of washing dishes?
4. What does Macon daydream about when Sarah calls?
5. What do Macon and Sarah do when Macon pulls over?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)