|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Macon wearing when he first meets Sarah?
(a) A black turtleneck, black pants, and sandals.
(b) Jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers.
(c) A suit and tie.
(d) A football uniform.
2. Why is Charles locked in the pantry when Macon can't reach Sarah in New York?
(a) Charles locked himself in after an argument with Porter.
(b) Rose locked Charles in after a big fight.
(c) Edward attacked him and Charles thought it was the safest place.
(d) Charles accidently locked himself in while getting a can of soup.
3. How do the Leary children find out they are not going to be world travelers, like their mother said?
(a) Their mother loses all her savings after the stock market crash.
(b) They are met at the Baltimore airport by their grandparents.
(c) Their mother dies in a car accident.
(d) Their mother is afraid to fly.
4. What is Macon's system of washing dishes?
(a) He adds each dirty dish to the kitchen sink with bleach and on alternate days, sprays everything with hot water.
(b) He washes each one and dries them on white towels.
(c) He adds them to the dishwasher with all of them facing the same way.
(d) He uses laundry detergent and lemon to wash them.
5. How do the Leary children react to the news that they are not going to be world travelers?
(a) They are despondent.
(b) They couldn't be happier.
(c) They refuse to talk about it.
(d) They are understanding.
6. What does Edward do when Julian tries to leave?
(a) Edward blocks the door and when Julian grabs his leash, Edward snarls and nips his hand.
(b) Edward barks at Julian and bites Macon when Macon grabs his leash.
(c) Edward jumps on Julian and licks his face.
(d) Edward runs back and forth from Macon to Julian, wagging his tail.
7. How does Macon respond to Charles being locked in the pantry?
(a) He convinces Porter to apologize to Charles.
(b) He tells Charles he will be home soon to get him out.
(c) He convinces Rose to let Charles out.
(d) He calls Muriel to come over and calm Edward.
8. What sound should Macon make when Edward does something positive?
9. What is Rose giving Julian for Christmas?
(a) A sweater she is knitting.
(c) A set of golf clubs.
(d) A book about Churchill.
10. According to Muriel, why is her sister the favorite?
(a) Her sister is the oldest.
(b) Her sister's hair stayed blonde.
(c) Her sister always got better grades.
(d) Her sister is a terrific athelete.
11. How do his neighbors react to the news that Sarah has left?
(a) They ignore him when he waves hello.
(b) They invite him to potluck dinners.
(c) They don't know Sarah has left him.
(d) They begin to call him day and night.
12. What do Macon and Susan discuss at dinner?
(a) What college Susan wants to attend.
(b) If Macon will remarry.
(c) Susan's memories of Ethan.
(d) The trouble Susan is having with her dad.
13. Where does Macon and his niece, Susan, travel to?
(a) New York.
14. What is the reason Muriel marries and divorces her husband, Norman?
(a) Muriel's parents.
(b) Muriel's first husband.
(c) Norman's money.
(d) Muriel and Norman's baby.
15. What does Sarah tell Macon she wants regarding their separation?
(a) Sarah wants to try counseling.
(b) Sarah wants to make it legal.
(c) Sarah wants to have their marriage annulled.
(d) Sarah wants to come back to Macon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Macon like to travel?
2. Who raises Macon and his siblings after their father dies in the war?
3. What does Muriel give Macon for Edward?
4. According to Macon, what is a huge waste of energy?
5. What does Grandfather Leary tell Macon in his dream?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)