|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarah wonder about regarding Macon at the restaurant?
(a) Why Macon hasn't called her for help.
(b) Why Macon won't stop calling her.
(c) Why Macon can't finish his meal.
(d) Why Macon chose this restaurant.
2. What does Macon do while waiting for a flight back home from his first trip in the novel?
(a) Macon eats at a famous cafe.
(b) Macon watches TV and eats nonperishable groceries in his room.
(c) Macon takes a tour of the city.
(d) Macon goes shopping and skips dinner.
3. Who does Macon try to call from the restaurant in New York?
4. What is the reason Muriel marries and divorces her husband, Norman?
(a) Muriel's first husband.
(b) Norman's money.
(c) Muriel's parents.
(d) Muriel and Norman's baby.
5. According to Muriel, why is her sister the favorite?
(a) Her sister is a terrific athelete.
(b) Her sister is the oldest.
(c) Her sister always got better grades.
(d) Her sister's hair stayed blonde.
6. Why is Muriel not at work when Macon calls?
(a) Because her son is sick.
(b) Because she's at lunch.
(c) Because she is sick.
(d) Because she quit.
7. What does Sarah want to pick up at the house?
(a) A sofa from the living room.
(b) A table from the kitchen.
(c) A painting from the den.
(d) A navy rug from the dining room.
8. On his first trip in the novel, what does Macon do once he has arrived at his destination?
(a) Macon checks in at his hotel and goes sightseeing.
(b) Macon tries breakfast at three different stops, visits hotels in the afternoon.
(c) Macon has an expensive lunch, and visits an old friend.
(d) Macon rents a car and drives to the coast.
9. What country does Grandfather Leary say he's sailing to?
10. What does Grandfather Leary announce the day his mind first begins to wander?
(a) That he needs his passport.
(b) That he is a government spy.
(c) That he has another family in Germany.
(d) That he doesn't recognize Macon.
11. What does Julian offer Macon at his childhood home?
(a) A pay increase.
(b) An extension on his manuscript.
(c) A dinner out in the city.
(d) A place to stay.
12. According to Macon, what is unusual about Rose's life?
(a) She lives all by herself, and has never had a partner.
(b) She is not married or employed and takes care of her brothers.
(c) She has traveled all over the world, and has never lived in one place for long.
(d) She has been married several times.
13. What restaurant do Macon and Sarah agree to meet at for dinner?
(a) Old Bay.
(b) Old Dock.
(c) Old Cove.
(d) Old Shore.
14. According to Garner, what is the perception people have of Macon?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is outgoing.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is aloof.
15. Where does Macon display flexibility in his schedule?
(a) He works three days a week instead of five.
(b) He switches to eating at restaurants.
(c) He takes an afternoon break on Wednesdays.
(d) He switches to showering at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Macon pull over?
2. How does Macon respond to Charles being locked in the pantry?
3. What does Macon agree to regarding Edward?
4. How does Macon get injured?
5. What is Muriel wearing when Macon picks up Edward?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)