|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Julian calls, what does Macon negotiate for?
(a) A two week extension on his manuscript.
(b) An advance for a novel he's writing.
(c) A one month vacation.
(d) A pay increase for his next book.
2. What do Macon and Sarah do when Macon pulls over?
(a) Macon pumps gas while Sarah sits in the car.
(b) Sarah uses the pay phone to call a doctor.
(c) They make a plan to see a counselor when they get home.
(d) They don't talk or touch one another.
3. What country does Grandfather Leary say he's sailing to?
4. How does Macon spend his time after returning from his trip?
(a) Organizing the household.
(b) Working on his book.
(c) Researching his next trip.
(d) Watching TV.
5. What do Sarah and Macon listen to after Macon pulls over?
(a) A song that played at their wedding.
(b) The news.
(c) The rain beating on the overhang above them.
(d) The traffic from the street.
6. Why is Sarah surprised when she sees Macon at the restaurant?
(a) Because he looks so tan.
(b) Because he's lost so much weight.
(c) Because of the cast on his leg.
(d) Because he's wearing an outfit she doesn't recognize.
7. According to Macon, what is a huge waste of energy?
(a) The dishwasher.
(b) The television.
(c) The oven.
(d) The computer.
8. Who has Rose been seeing?
(a) Boyd Dugan.
(b) Garner Bolt.
(c) Julian Edge.
(d) No one.
9. Who does Macon write for?
(a) People who travel to remote and exotic locations.
(b) People who travel on business and are not interested in sightseeing.
(c) People who are afraid to fly.
(d) People who are looking for jobs overseas.
10. What is the dilemma the Leary's face about Thanksgiving?
(a) Who to invite, since they don't like one another's friends.
(b) No one likes turkey but they feel compelled by tradition to have it.
(c) They don't want to have a big dinner since it's just the four of them.
(d) Where to have Thanksgiving, at the house or in the city.
11. What is the reason Muriel marries and divorces her husband, Norman?
(a) Norman's money.
(b) Muriel and Norman's baby.
(c) Muriel's first husband.
(d) Muriel's parents.
12. What does Macon agree to regarding Edward?
(a) To get some training for him.
(b) To get him groomed by a professional.
(c) To keep him out of the house.
(d) To put him in his kennel at night.
13. What does Julian realize about Macon when he sees him at his childhood home?
(a) Macon is not at home because Sarah has left him.
(b) Macon is looking for a new place to live.
(c) Macon is not at home because of all the construction.
(d) Macon is recovering from his broken leg and not because Sarah has left him.
14. Why does Macon call the small, expensive grocery store?
(a) Because he can't face going into the store.
(b) Because it's his favorite store.
(c) Because it's the only one open late.
(d) Because Sarah works there.
15. Where does Macon and his niece, Susan, travel to?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Macon feel inadequate with Muriel?
2. What does Sarah tell Macon in the car?
3. What is the misunderstanding between Macon and Muriel?
4. Who raises Macon and his siblings after their father dies in the war?
5. At his childhood home, what does Macon give Julian that Julian has NOT asked for?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)