Essay Topic 1
Loss is a major theme in "The Accidental Tourist." The loss and suffering of children are the impetus for other losses, namely marriage.
1. Discuss the possible reasons why Macon and Sarah and Muriel and Norman are unable to take solace in their suffering over their children.
2. Why do you think Tyler utilizes children as the starting point to explore the consequences of grief?
Essay Topic 2
What is an accidental tourist?
1. Define each term and their connotations.
2. Besides Macon, who else is an accidental tourist?
3. What is the overall message or meaning of this concept?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of animals in the novel.
1. How does Edward figure as a major character?
2. What are some similarities between Macon and his dog?
3. Why is it significant that Edward was Ethan's dog?
4. What major changes does Macon go through regarding his relationship with him?
Essay Topic 4
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)