|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the Maniac's card say he's a former professor?
2. From what floor did the Anarchist jump?
3. What is the file cabinet filled with that the Maniac examines in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Where does the Maniac say the judge had been previously?
5. What does the Maniac instruct the Superintendent to do as he examines the documents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Maniac tell the person on the phone about his message in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What do the police records show regarding the Maniac's history? How does he respond to these allegations?
3. In what state is the Superintendent when he enters in Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
4. What does the Maniac do with the documents he finds while in the office alone?
5. Who/what does the Superintendent say pushed him toward the "raptus?" How does the Maniac reply?
6. What does the Superintendent's report claim the Anarchist suffered? What is this?
7. How is the Maniac's treatment of the Superintendent and Sports Jacket a recreation of their statement about the Anarchist?
8. What is happening in the beginning of the play? What does Bertozzo want from the Maniac?
9. What is the Maniac doing in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
10. What does the Maniac do when the phone rings in the office in Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Symbolism and Motif in Accidental Death of an Anarchist. What symbols are represented in the Maniac's costuming? What motifs can be cited as examples? Define the terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Scandal, Revolution, and Reform" as a theme in Accidental Death of an Anarchist. How is this theme exemplified in the play? Who argues the opposing points of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of the Maniac with that of the police officers. How is he different? What similarities do they have?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)