|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Maniac being charged with in Act 1?
2. Who says, "These characters have the power to save or destroy however and whenever they will: they toss out certain life sentences just the way someone might say, 'maybe it will rain tomorrow'?"
3. Who does the Superintendent initially mistake the Maniac for?
4. Who witnessed the fall of the anarchist?
5. What time did the anarchist jump from the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Maniac "prepare" after his phone call in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. How does the Maniac offer to help out the Superintendent and Sports Jacket with their second version?
3. What does the time difference in the "raptus" versus the suicide seem to indicate to the Maniac?
4. What is happening in the beginning of the play? What does Bertozzo want from the Maniac?
5. What is the Maniac's suggestion to the Superintendent and Sports Jacket, considering their situation of desperation in Act 1, Scene 2?
6. What is described differently in the "second report?"
7. What does the Maniac do with the documents he finds while in the office alone?
8. What does the Maniac do when the phone rings in the office in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. What do the police records show regarding the Maniac's history? How does he respond to these allegations?
10. How does the Maniac convince Sports Jacket and the Superintendent to go along with his plan at the end of Act 1, Scene 2? What happens at the end of this act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Maniac as the role of the Raisonneur and the Trickster character. What do these terms mean? How do they apply to the Maniac? Give examples in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Actions and Objectives in Act 2 between the Maniac and the police officers. What does each want? How do they go about achieving their objectives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style of Accidental Death of an Anarchist. Define different stylistic elements of the play discussed in class.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)