|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many citizens were killed in the bombing by the accused Anarchist?
2. Why does the Maniac learn the judge is coming?
3. What is the Maniac being charged with in Act 1?
4. What does the illness the Maniac suffers from cause him to do compulsively?
5. What does the Superintendent yell at Sports Jacket for upon his entrance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Maniac encounter when leaving the office the second time in Act 1, Scene 1? What does this character do?
2. How does the Maniac trip up the Superintendent on his story?
3. What do Sports Jacket and the Superintendent do at the Maniac's request for recreating the scene?
4. How is the Maniac's treatment of the Superintendent and Sports Jacket a recreation of their statement about the Anarchist?
5. What do the police records show regarding the Maniac's history? How does he respond to these allegations?
6. What does the Maniac tell Bertozzo about grammar in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What does the Maniac tell Bertozzo about the actors he performs with?
8. What does the Maniac do when the Constable comes into the office in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. What is the Maniac doing in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
10. What does the Maniac say he thinks about judges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Maniac as the role of the Raisonneur and the Trickster character. What do these terms mean? How do they apply to the Maniac? Give examples in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Accidental Death of an Anarchist to a play of the Commedia dell'arte style. What similarities exist between the two? What differences? What character might be what stock character from Commedia? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Actions and Objectives in Act 2 between the Maniac and the police officers. What does each want? How do they go about achieving their objectives?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)