|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has the Maniac been arrested (including this time)?
2. Where does the Maniac say the judge had been previously?
3. How many "versions" of the statement regarding the anarchist's death are there?
4. Who witnessed the fall of the anarchist?
5. What does the Maniac say that the judge's name is who is coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what state is the Superintendent when he enters in Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
2. What is the Maniac doing in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How does the Maniac say he "trained" for his work as a psychiatrist?
4. How does the Maniac trip up the Superintendent on his story?
5. What does the Maniac tell Bertozzo about grammar in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. What is the Maniac's suggestion to the Superintendent and Sports Jacket, considering their situation of desperation in Act 1, Scene 2?
7. What is happening in the beginning of the play? What does Bertozzo want from the Maniac?
8. How is the Maniac's treatment of the Superintendent and Sports Jacket a recreation of their statement about the Anarchist?
9. How does the Maniac react when Bertozzo says if he will just sign the statement, he will let him go?
10. Who does the Maniac encounter when leaving the office the second time in Act 1, Scene 1? What does this character do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss foreshadowing in Accidental Death of an Anarchist. Where does foreshadowing take place? What effect does it have? Define the term in your answer and give examples from the text where this technique is used.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Maniac as the role of the Raisonneur and the Trickster character. What do these terms mean? How do they apply to the Maniac? Give examples in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Brechtian elements of the play, particularly that of the Alienation Effect. Where is this technique employed? What effect does it have? Why did Fo choose to use it?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)