|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Superintendent and Sports Jacket say they got the news that the anarchist dancer had confessed?
2. Where is the "overwhelming proof" they want to get rid of the Superintendent and Sports Jacket, according to the Maniac in Act 2, Scene 2, Part 2?
3. What is the file cabinet filled with that the Maniac examines in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Who says, "They almost went along with it; they were desperate. The smallest pretext is sufficient when one is desperate?"
5. What does the Maniac tell the person on the phone that Bertozzo is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Maniac do with the documents he finds while in the office alone?
2. What is happening in the beginning of the play? What does Bertozzo want from the Maniac?
3. What does the time difference in the "raptus" versus the suicide seem to indicate to the Maniac?
4. What does the Maniac tell Bertozzo about the actors he performs with?
5. What does the Maniac want to determine regarding the Anarchist's emotional state? How does he proceed?
6. What does the Maniac tell the person on the phone about his message in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. Who does the Maniac encounter when leaving the office the second time in Act 1, Scene 1? What does this character do?
8. What is the Superintendent and Sports Jacket's reaction to the Maniac's accusations of harsh interrogation?
9. What is the Maniac's suggestion to the Superintendent and Sports Jacket, considering their situation of desperation in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. What does the Maniac do when the Constable comes into the office in Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "Class Oppression" as a theme in Accidental Death of an Anarchist. How is this theme exemplified in the play? Where is this topic presented and argued? By whom?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Truth and Lies" as a theme in Accidental Death of an Anarchist. How is this theme exemplified in the play? Who is the voice of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the slapstick elements of Accidental Death of an Anarchist. What do these actions and "bits" counterbalance? Where did slapstick originate?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)