|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the police do with the one bomb which was recovered undetonated?
(a) Sent it to the lab.
(b) Gave it to the Russians.
(c) Blew it up.
(d) Had it examined.
2. What does Bertozzo not know about in Act 2?
(a) The incriminating evidence.
(b) The judge's orders.
(c) The Maniac's true identity.
(d) The "counter-investigation."
3. What does the Superintendent tell the reporter is "is the backbone of every civilized nation?"
(a) Scaring the public.
(c) Gathering intelligence.
4. What, according to the Maniac, are scandals the fertilizer for?
(b) Eastern Philosophy.
(d) Western Democracy.
5. What does the Maniac tell the officer he has slipped upon?
(a) His glass eye.
(b) A bullet.
(c) A marble.
(d) A thumb-tack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Superintendent accuse the Maniac of doing to them in Act 2?
2. Where does the phrase "headquarters had no head, 'cause the head man was in bed" come from, according to the Maniac?
3. According to the reporter, who used a curious term when he was making his concluding remarks?
4. What does Bertozzo bring in during the interview with the reporter?
5. Who was one of the infiltrators in the Anarchists' circle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Maniac joke about regarding the "laughter" in the interrogation with the Anarchist?
2. What "new character" does the Maniac reveal himself to be in Act 2, Scene 1? How do the others react?
3. What does the journalist say about the Anarchist's death being an accident? What is she implying?
4. What does the journalist ask about the police interaction with the bomber? How does the Superintendent reply?
5. How does the Maniac respond to the journalist's questioning? How do the others?
6. What happens with the Maniac's "glass eye" during Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What do the Superintendent and Sports Jacket do regarding Bertozzo's protestations regarding the Maniac?
8. Who does the Maniac quote regarding scandal? What does this quote say?
9. What does Bertozzo do in the climax of the play in Act 2? How does he regain control of the room?
10. What does the journalist ask Bertozzo about the bomb when he enters? What is his reply?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)