|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she want him to promise?
2. What does the doctor believe is the difference between him and the protagonist?
3. What is Kathleen doing?
4. What does the protagonist do?
5. What does he do when the nurse hands him a mirror?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist respond to the woman's request?
2. What does Kathleen ask of Eliezer?
3. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
4. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
5. What is the protagonist's memory of Moishe?
6. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
7. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
8. What is Eliezer's memory about the train station?
9. How does the section begin?
10. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The smell of meat reminds the protagonist of previous events.
Part 1) Describe these events. Why do these events occur?
Part 2) How do these events reveal the horrors of the holocaust?
Part 3) Can you relate to this kind of trauma? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The main character stays and listens to Sarah's story.
Part 1) How is this similar to Kathleen staying in a relationship with the main character?
Part 2) How does her story reveal more details of life in a concentration camp?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Sarah and the main character.
Essay Topic 3
The novel ends with the main character crying.
Part 1) For what is he shedding tears?
Part 2) Is he healed? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will his relationships with others be different now, after the destruction of the painting? Why or why not?
Part 4) Will he reconcile with Kathleen? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)