|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor tell the protagonist took place during the surgery?
2. Where do the two of them go out at night?
3. What does the protagonist want to say to the doctor?
4. What does his teacher tell him to say?
5. What is Kathleen doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
2. Why is the protagonist not able to make love to the girl?
3. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
4. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
5. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
6. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
7. What has happened to Kathleen?
8. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
9. Where can Kathleen not reach the protagonist? How does she deal with this?
10. How does the protagonist respond to the woman's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctor knows the protagonist does not care about life.
Part 1) How does he know this? What is the protagonist's reaction? Why does he react this way?
Part 2) Why can the doctor not understand the protagonist's depression?
Part 3) With what is the doctor concerned? Should that be his only concern? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Paul Russel is a pivotal character in the story.
Part 1) Why is he a pivotal character?
Part 2) How does the protagonist interact with him? Why?
Part 3) How, in a sense, are the doctor/patient roles reversed?
Essay Topic 3
When, in section 2, Kathleen and the protagonist meet for the first time, the protagonist says, "But we already know each other."
Part 1) In what way do they know each other?
Part 2) How do they feed off of each other's needs? What does this do to their relationship?
Part 3) What does the protagonist realize about this relationship? What does he plan to do? Does he do it? Why or why not?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)