|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to him, after a while?
2. How does Kathleen react?
3. What does he think about this question?
4. What frightens him most?
5. What does Eliezer go on to say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
2. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
3. Where can Kathleen not reach the protagonist? How does she deal with this?
4. What has happened to Kathleen?
5. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
6. How does the section begin?
7. What is Eliezer's memory about the train station?
8. Why does Kathleen begin to cry?
9. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
10. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gyula is the protagonist's friend.
Part 1) Describe Gyula. How is he a breath of fresh air for the protagonist?
Part 2) What does Gyula create for the protagonist? Why?
Part 3) how does Gyula's approach affect the protagonist? Has this helped the protagonist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author's description of the passersby on the street is bleak.
Part 1) Describe these people. Do they look like this in reality? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this foreshadow the feeling of the rest of the novel?
Part 3) Describe a time when your emotions affected your take on your surroundings.
Essay Topic 3
Kathleen tells the doctor that she loves the protagonist, and the doctor replies that sometimes love is stronger than prayer.
Part 1) What does this foreshadow?
Part 2) Do you agree with the doctor? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this love destructive? Why is it destructive?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)