|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the teacher tell him is a serious thing?
2. Who is Sarah?
3. Where is our protagonist?
4. Why is Kathleen staying in a posh hotel in New York City?
5. Who comes to visit just before Kathleen arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
2. Why is the protagonist not able to make love to the girl?
3. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
4. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
5. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
6. How does the section begin?
7. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
8. How does the protagonist respond to the woman's request?
9. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
10. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctor knows the protagonist does not care about life.
Part 1) How does he know this? What is the protagonist's reaction? Why does he react this way?
Part 2) Why can the doctor not understand the protagonist's depression?
Part 3) With what is the doctor concerned? Should that be his only concern? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, the protagonist moves in and out of time.
Part 1) Give two examples of this. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 3) Is this effective in showing the inner workings of the protagonist's mind? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The novel ends with the main character crying.
Part 1) For what is he shedding tears?
Part 2) Is he healed? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will his relationships with others be different now, after the destruction of the painting? Why or why not?
Part 4) Will he reconcile with Kathleen? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)