|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the protagonist say this name?
2. Where is he reading?
3. What has Dr. Russel made a habit?
4. If he truly loved her, what would he not have to do?
5. What is Kathleen doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the protagonist's memory of Moishe?
2. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
3. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
4. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
5. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
6. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
7. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
8. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
9. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
10. How does this section begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimon, the protagonist's friend, considers him a saint.
Part 1) Why does he consider him a saint? How does the protagonist feel about this?
Part 2) How does the protagonist mimic this thought later in the novel?
Part 3) Compare the person and reaction later in the novel to his reaction to being called a saint.
Part 4) What is the connection between this and the stranger on the ship and Gyula?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen tells the doctor that she loves the protagonist, and the doctor replies that sometimes love is stronger than prayer.
Part 1) What does this foreshadow?
Part 2) Do you agree with the doctor? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this love destructive? Why is it destructive?
Essay Topic 3
Gyula destroys the portrait.
Part 1) Why does he destroy it? Does this help the main character? Why or why not?
Part 2) Would this tactic work with anyone suffering in the same way as the main character? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why does Gyula leave the ashes sitting in a pile? How do they affect the protagonist? Why do they affect him this way?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)