|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens If he forgets to do this?
2. Who comes to visit just before Kathleen arrives?
3. When does he stop her?
4. With what does it begin?
5. To whom does the protagonist tell this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene open?
2. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
3. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
4. Why is the protagonist not able to make love to the girl?
5. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
6. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
7. How does the section begin?
8. Why does Kathleen begin to cry?
9. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
10. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When lying on the ground, the protagonist is reminded of a poem by Dylan Thomas that says, "rage, rage, against the dying of the light."
Part 1) Why might he think of this poem?
Part 2) How does this contrast with his actions and feelings?
Part 3) How does this poem reflect the beliefs of others in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Gyula destroys the portrait.
Part 1) Why does he destroy it? Does this help the main character? Why or why not?
Part 2) Would this tactic work with anyone suffering in the same way as the main character? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why does Gyula leave the ashes sitting in a pile? How do they affect the protagonist? Why do they affect him this way?
Essay Topic 3
The stranger on the ship says, "I think I'm going to hate you."
Part 1) What does this reveal about the protagonist?
Part 2) What is ironic about this statement?
Part 3) How is this type of honesty repeated later in the novel? How does this help or hurt the protagonist?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)