|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the doctor react to the story?
2. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
3. Where is our protagonist?
4. What does she ask him when she catches him in such a moment?
5. What does the doctor tell the protagonist took place during the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Kathleen?
2. How does this section begin?
3. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
4. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
5. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
6. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
7. How does the section begin?
8. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
9. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
10. Why is the protagonist not able to make love to the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Paul Russel is a pivotal character in the story.
Part 1) Why is he a pivotal character?
Part 2) How does the protagonist interact with him? Why?
Part 3) How, in a sense, are the doctor/patient roles reversed?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ends with the main character crying.
Part 1) For what is he shedding tears?
Part 2) Is he healed? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will his relationships with others be different now, after the destruction of the painting? Why or why not?
Part 4) Will he reconcile with Kathleen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist is not named until Section 6.
Part 1) What is his name? Why is it not known until Section 6?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for keeping him anonymous for over half of the novel?
Part 3) How might this reflect how both the author and main character feel about themselves?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)