|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the protagonist tell this story?
2. Who comes to visit just before Kathleen arrives?
3. What does the patient finally do?
4. What does the protagonist want to say to the doctor?
5. How are Kathleen and Eliezer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
2. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
3. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
4. Why does Kathleen begin to cry?
5. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
6. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
7. Where can Kathleen not reach the protagonist? How does she deal with this?
8. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
9. What is Eliezer's memory about the train station?
10. What has happened to Kathleen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When lying on the ground, the protagonist is reminded of a poem by Dylan Thomas that says, "rage, rage, against the dying of the light."
Part 1) Why might he think of this poem?
Part 2) How does this contrast with his actions and feelings?
Part 3) How does this poem reflect the beliefs of others in the play?
Essay Topic 2
The author's description of the passersby on the street is bleak.
Part 1) Describe these people. Do they look like this in reality? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this foreshadow the feeling of the rest of the novel?
Part 3) Describe a time when your emotions affected your take on your surroundings.
Essay Topic 3
Gyula destroys the portrait.
Part 1) Why does he destroy it? Does this help the main character? Why or why not?
Part 2) Would this tactic work with anyone suffering in the same way as the main character? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why does Gyula leave the ashes sitting in a pile? How do they affect the protagonist? Why do they affect him this way?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)