|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the protagonist say this name?
2. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
3. What does he think about this question?
4. Where do the two of them go out at night?
5. Where is our protagonist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eliezer's memory about the train station?
2. What has happened to Kathleen?
3. What does Kathleen ask of Eliezer?
4. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
5. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
6. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
7. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
8. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
9. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
10. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimon, the protagonist's friend, considers him a saint.
Part 1) Why does he consider him a saint? How does the protagonist feel about this?
Part 2) How does the protagonist mimic this thought later in the novel?
Part 3) Compare the person and reaction later in the novel to his reaction to being called a saint.
Part 4) What is the connection between this and the stranger on the ship and Gyula?
Essay Topic 2
In Section 8, the main character realizes he must leave Kathleen.
Part 1) How does he come to this realization?
Part 2) Predict Kathleen's reaction to this news. Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) What takes place after he decides to leave her? What is the connection between this event and his decision to end the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Paul Russel is a pivotal character in the story.
Part 1) Why is he a pivotal character?
Part 2) How does the protagonist interact with him? Why?
Part 3) How, in a sense, are the doctor/patient roles reversed?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)