|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does it begin?
2. Where is he reading?
3. What is her response when he finally asks her if she knows him?
4. What does the patient finally do?
5. How does the doctor react to the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
2. Why is the protagonist not able to make love to the girl?
3. How does the section begin?
4. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
5. How does the protagonist respond to the woman's request?
6. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
7. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
8. What has happened to Kathleen?
9. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
10. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gyula is the protagonist's friend.
Part 1) Describe Gyula. How is he a breath of fresh air for the protagonist?
Part 2) What does Gyula create for the protagonist? Why?
Part 3) how does Gyula's approach affect the protagonist? Has this helped the protagonist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a Holocaust survivor.
Part 1) Describe this character. How is his personality shaped by his experience in a concentration camp?
Part 2) How is he similar to other Holocaust survivors?
Part 3) Compare the main character to the author, who is also a Holocaust survivor.
Essay Topic 3
The main character thinks more about death than life.
Part 1) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 2) What would his grandmother think about this? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Based on this story, how does the author believe one can change and enjoy life?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)