|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
2. What happens If he forgets to do this?
3. Why does Kathleen wonder about the identity of Sarah?
4. When does he stop her?
5. How does he reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the protagonist's memory of Moishe?
2. How does the protagonist respond to the woman's request?
3. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
4. How does this scene open?
5. What has happened to Kathleen?
6. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
7. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
8. Why does Kathleen begin to cry?
9. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
10. How does this section begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character stays and listens to Sarah's story.
Part 1) How is this similar to Kathleen staying in a relationship with the main character?
Part 2) How does her story reveal more details of life in a concentration camp?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Sarah and the main character.
Essay Topic 2
In Section 8, the main character realizes he must leave Kathleen.
Part 1) How does he come to this realization?
Part 2) Predict Kathleen's reaction to this news. Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) What takes place after he decides to leave her? What is the connection between this event and his decision to end the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The novel ends with the main character crying.
Part 1) For what is he shedding tears?
Part 2) Is he healed? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will his relationships with others be different now, after the destruction of the painting? Why or why not?
Part 4) Will he reconcile with Kathleen? Why or why not?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)