|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he think about this question?
2. What does Eliezer feel about his past?
3. What is significant about this point in the story?
4. What does the teacher tell him is a serious thing?
5. What does Kathleen ask Eliezer one night while they are in bed together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
2. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
3. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
4. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
5. What does Kathleen ask of Eliezer?
6. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
7. What is Eliezer's memory about the train station?
8. Why does Kathleen begin to cry?
9. What has happened to Kathleen?
10. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel ends with the main character crying.
Part 1) For what is he shedding tears?
Part 2) Is he healed? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will his relationships with others be different now, after the destruction of the painting? Why or why not?
Part 4) Will he reconcile with Kathleen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist is not named until Section 6.
Part 1) What is his name? Why is it not known until Section 6?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for keeping him anonymous for over half of the novel?
Part 3) How might this reflect how both the author and main character feel about themselves?
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)