|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kathleen staying in a posh hotel in New York City?
2. What is the result of Kathleen trying to change him?
3. When does he stop her?
4. To what is this compared?
5. What does Kathleen know when he tells her he loves her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kathleen begin to cry?
2. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
3. What is Eliezer's memory about the train station?
4. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
5. How does this section begin?
6. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
7. Why is the protagonist not able to make love to the girl?
8. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
9. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
10. What has happened to Kathleen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel, the protagonist moves in and out of time.
Part 1) Give two examples of this. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 3) Is this effective in showing the inner workings of the protagonist's mind? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gyula is the protagonist's friend.
Part 1) Describe Gyula. How is he a breath of fresh air for the protagonist?
Part 2) What does Gyula create for the protagonist? Why?
Part 3) how does Gyula's approach affect the protagonist? Has this helped the protagonist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The main character stays and listens to Sarah's story.
Part 1) How is this similar to Kathleen staying in a relationship with the main character?
Part 2) How does her story reveal more details of life in a concentration camp?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Sarah and the main character.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)