|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she say when he asks her what is wrong?
2. To what is this compared?
3. How does he reply?
4. What does Kathleen ask Eliezer one night while they are in bed together?
5. When does this section take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist respond to the woman's request?
2. How does this section begin?
3. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
4. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
5. What does Kathleen ask of Eliezer?
6. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
7. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
8. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
9. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
10. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character thinks more about death than life.
Part 1) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 2) What would his grandmother think about this? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Based on this story, how does the author believe one can change and enjoy life?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Paul Russel is a pivotal character in the story.
Part 1) Why is he a pivotal character?
Part 2) How does the protagonist interact with him? Why?
Part 3) How, in a sense, are the doctor/patient roles reversed?
Essay Topic 3
Shimon, the protagonist's friend, considers him a saint.
Part 1) Why does he consider him a saint? How does the protagonist feel about this?
Part 2) How does the protagonist mimic this thought later in the novel?
Part 3) Compare the person and reaction later in the novel to his reaction to being called a saint.
Part 4) What is the connection between this and the stranger on the ship and Gyula?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)