|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she do when she senses his sudden change of heart?
2. Where do the two of them go out at night?
3. What is significant about this point in the story?
4. When does he stop her?
5. What does he see when he looks into her eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
2. What is the protagonist's memory of Moishe?
3. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
4. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
5. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
6. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
7. What is Eliezer's memory about the train station?
8. How does this scene open?
9. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
10. How does the protagonist respond to the woman's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cab accident acts as a catalyst.
Part 1) How does it act as a catalyst?
Part 2) What does the protagonist learn about himself through this accident?
Part 3) How has the protagonist changed because of this accident? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
Essay Topic 3
In Section 8, the main character realizes he must leave Kathleen.
Part 1) How does he come to this realization?
Part 2) Predict Kathleen's reaction to this news. Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) What takes place after he decides to leave her? What is the connection between this event and his decision to end the relationship?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)