|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eliezer go on to say?
2. What does the teacher tell him is a serious thing?
3. How does Kathleen react?
4. How long has it been since the accident?
5. What does the patient finally do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene open?
2. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
3. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
4. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
5. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
6. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
7. How does this section begin?
8. What is Eliezer's memory about the train station?
9. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
10. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character thinks more about death than life.
Part 1) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 2) What would his grandmother think about this? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Based on this story, how does the author believe one can change and enjoy life?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ends with the main character crying.
Part 1) For what is he shedding tears?
Part 2) Is he healed? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will his relationships with others be different now, after the destruction of the painting? Why or why not?
Part 4) Will he reconcile with Kathleen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The smell of meat reminds the protagonist of previous events.
Part 1) Describe these events. Why do these events occur?
Part 2) How do these events reveal the horrors of the holocaust?
Part 3) Can you relate to this kind of trauma? Why or why not?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)