|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist do?
2. What does the doctor believe is the difference between him and the protagonist?
3. When does the protagonist say this name?
4. How does he reply?
5. What does the doctor tell the protagonist took place during the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene open?
2. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
3. How does the section begin?
4. What does Kathleen ask of Eliezer?
5. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
6. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
7. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
8. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
9. Where can Kathleen not reach the protagonist? How does she deal with this?
10. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
Essay Topic 2
The author's description of the passersby on the street is bleak.
Part 1) Describe these people. Do they look like this in reality? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this foreshadow the feeling of the rest of the novel?
Part 3) Describe a time when your emotions affected your take on your surroundings.
Essay Topic 3
Gyula is the protagonist's friend.
Part 1) Describe Gyula. How is he a breath of fresh air for the protagonist?
Part 2) What does Gyula create for the protagonist? Why?
Part 3) how does Gyula's approach affect the protagonist? Has this helped the protagonist? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)