|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kathleen ask Eliezer one night while they are in bed together?
2. What does Kathleen know when he says he will?
3. Who comes to visit just before Kathleen arrives?
4. Of what is he also afraid?
5. What does Kathleen know when he tells her he loves her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
2. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
3. What is the protagonist's memory of Moishe?
4. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
5. How does this scene open?
6. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
7. How does the section begin?
8. Where can Kathleen not reach the protagonist? How does she deal with this?
9. Why does Kathleen begin to cry?
10. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kathleen tells the doctor that she loves the protagonist, and the doctor replies that sometimes love is stronger than prayer.
Part 1) What does this foreshadow?
Part 2) Do you agree with the doctor? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this love destructive? Why is it destructive?
Essay Topic 2
In Section 8, the main character realizes he must leave Kathleen.
Part 1) How does he come to this realization?
Part 2) Predict Kathleen's reaction to this news. Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) What takes place after he decides to leave her? What is the connection between this event and his decision to end the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
When lying on the ground, the protagonist is reminded of a poem by Dylan Thomas that says, "rage, rage, against the dying of the light."
Part 1) Why might he think of this poem?
Part 2) How does this contrast with his actions and feelings?
Part 3) How does this poem reflect the beliefs of others in the play?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)