|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kathleen know when he tells her he loves her?
2. What does Kathleen ask Eliezer one night while they are in bed together?
3. What has Dr. Russel made a habit?
4. Who arrives to question the protagonist?
5. To what is this compared?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
2. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
3. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
4. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
5. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
6. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
7. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
8. How does this section begin?
9. Where can Kathleen not reach the protagonist? How does she deal with this?
10. What does Kathleen ask of Eliezer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel, the protagonist moves in and out of time.
Part 1) Give two examples of this. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 3) Is this effective in showing the inner workings of the protagonist's mind? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gyula destroys the portrait.
Part 1) Why does he destroy it? Does this help the main character? Why or why not?
Part 2) Would this tactic work with anyone suffering in the same way as the main character? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why does Gyula leave the ashes sitting in a pile? How do they affect the protagonist? Why do they affect him this way?
Essay Topic 3
The main character stays and listens to Sarah's story.
Part 1) How is this similar to Kathleen staying in a relationship with the main character?
Part 2) How does her story reveal more details of life in a concentration camp?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Sarah and the main character.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)