|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leaving the meal uneaten, what do the protagonist and Kathleen discuss?
2. What does the nurse promise?
3. What does Kathleen try to convince him to do?
4. Who is Shimon on his way to meet?
5. Why does the protagonist have to go to another hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
2. Describe the details of the accident.
3. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
4. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
5. Of what does this insatiable feeling remind him?
6. How does this section begin?
7. To what does the protagonist wake up?
8. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
9. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
10. What happens right before the accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stranger on the ship says, "I think I'm going to hate you."
Part 1) What does this reveal about the protagonist?
Part 2) What is ironic about this statement?
Part 3) How is this type of honesty repeated later in the novel? How does this help or hurt the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Gyula destroys the portrait.
Part 1) Why does he destroy it? Does this help the main character? Why or why not?
Part 2) Would this tactic work with anyone suffering in the same way as the main character? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why does Gyula leave the ashes sitting in a pile? How do they affect the protagonist? Why do they affect him this way?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this novel, the protagonist moves in and out of time.
Part 1) Give two examples of this. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 3) Is this effective in showing the inner workings of the protagonist's mind? Why or why not?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)