|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to this person at the box office?
2. What does the stranger never do?
3. Where does his mind wander?
4. Why does he believe his grandmother is waiting outside?
5. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
2. What happens when Kathleen tries to talk to the protagonist?
3. What does the protagonist vow? What ends his memory?
4. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
5. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
6. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
7. What happens right before the accident?
8. Describe the story and the main character.
9. What does he tell the nurse? What is her response? Why does he feel this way?
10. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stranger on the ship says, "I think I'm going to hate you."
Part 1) What does this reveal about the protagonist?
Part 2) What is ironic about this statement?
Part 3) How is this type of honesty repeated later in the novel? How does this help or hurt the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a Holocaust survivor.
Part 1) Describe this character. How is his personality shaped by his experience in a concentration camp?
Part 2) How is he similar to other Holocaust survivors?
Part 3) Compare the main character to the author, who is also a Holocaust survivor.
Essay Topic 3
The main character thinks more about death than life.
Part 1) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 2) What would his grandmother think about this? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Based on this story, how does the author believe one can change and enjoy life?
This section contains 1,881 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)