|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the stranger surprise him?
2. How does this section begin?
3. What does the protagonist suddenly feel a strong desire to do?
4. What has this accident set off?
5. Why does the protagonist make an excuse to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
2. Why does the protagonist believe his grandmother is outside his room?
3. How does this scene open?
4. Describe the details of the accident.
5. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
6. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
7. What does the protagonist vow? What ends his memory?
8. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
9. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
10. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
Essay Topic 1
In Section 8, the main character realizes he must leave Kathleen.
Part 1) How does he come to this realization?
Part 2) Predict Kathleen's reaction to this news. Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) What takes place after he decides to leave her? What is the connection between this event and his decision to end the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The cab accident acts as a catalyst.
Part 1) How does it act as a catalyst?
Part 2) What does the protagonist learn about himself through this accident?
Part 3) How has the protagonist changed because of this accident? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is a Holocaust survivor.
Part 1) Describe this character. How is his personality shaped by his experience in a concentration camp?
Part 2) How is he similar to other Holocaust survivors?
Part 3) Compare the main character to the author, who is also a Holocaust survivor.
This section contains 1,934 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)