|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he tell the nurse that he wants an injection to take away?
2. What does the stranger recall?
3. By what is he troubled?
4. What should one not look at too long?
5. Why does he feel this way when he eats the hamburger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens right before the accident?
2. What memory does he then recall?
3. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
4. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
5. What happens, moments after the protagonist and Kathleen meet?
6. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
7. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
8. What happens when Kathleen tries to talk to the protagonist?
9. How does this section begin?
10. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The smell of meat reminds the protagonist of previous events.
Part 1) Describe these events. Why do these events occur?
Part 2) How do these events reveal the horrors of the holocaust?
Part 3) Can you relate to this kind of trauma? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen tells the doctor that she loves the protagonist, and the doctor replies that sometimes love is stronger than prayer.
Part 1) What does this foreshadow?
Part 2) Do you agree with the doctor? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this love destructive? Why is it destructive?
Essay Topic 3
Shimon, the protagonist's friend, considers him a saint.
Part 1) Why does he consider him a saint? How does the protagonist feel about this?
Part 2) How does the protagonist mimic this thought later in the novel?
Part 3) Compare the person and reaction later in the novel to his reaction to being called a saint.
Part 4) What is the connection between this and the stranger on the ship and Gyula?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)