|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what is he troubled?
2. The title of the novel refers to what type of accident?
3. What is the protagonist standing alone doing?
4. What does Halina do?
5. Why does Kathleen convince him to do this?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
2. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
3. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
4. Describe the story and the main character.
5. To what does the protagonist wake up?
6. How does the scene end?
7. What does he tell the nurse? What is her response? Why does he feel this way?
8. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
9. What does the protagonist tell the stranger? How does the stranger respond?
10. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's description of the passersby on the street is bleak.
Part 1) Describe these people. Do they look like this in reality? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this foreshadow the feeling of the rest of the novel?
Part 3) Describe a time when your emotions affected your take on your surroundings.
Essay Topic 2
Shimon, the protagonist's friend, considers him a saint.
Part 1) Why does he consider him a saint? How does the protagonist feel about this?
Part 2) How does the protagonist mimic this thought later in the novel?
Part 3) Compare the person and reaction later in the novel to his reaction to being called a saint.
Part 4) What is the connection between this and the stranger on the ship and Gyula?
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist is not named until Section 6.
Part 1) What is his name? Why is it not known until Section 6?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for keeping him anonymous for over half of the novel?
Part 3) How might this reflect how both the author and main character feel about themselves?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)