|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
2. By what is he troubled?
3. What does the nurse promise?
4. What does the stranger recall?
5. What is this person waiting to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
2. To what does the protagonist wake up?
3. What memory does he then recall?
4. Describe the story and the main character.
5. Describe the details of the accident.
6. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
7. What is significant about this meeting between the protagonist and Kathleen?
8. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
9. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
10. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctor knows the protagonist does not care about life.
Part 1) How does he know this? What is the protagonist's reaction? Why does he react this way?
Part 2) Why can the doctor not understand the protagonist's depression?
Part 3) With what is the doctor concerned? Should that be his only concern? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this novel, the protagonist moves in and out of time.
Part 1) Give two examples of this. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 3) Is this effective in showing the inner workings of the protagonist's mind? Why or why not?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)