Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halina do?
2. From what does the protagonist awaken?
3. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
4. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
5. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
2. Why has Gyula painted Eliezer's portrait the way he did?
3. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
4. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
5. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
6. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
7. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
8. To what does the protagonist wake up?
9. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
10. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
Essay Topic 1
When, in section 2, Kathleen and the protagonist meet for the first time, the protagonist says, "But we already know each other."
Part 1) In what way do they know each other?
Part 2) How do they feed off of each other's needs? What does this do to their relationship?
Part 3) What does the protagonist realize about this relationship? What does he plan to do? Does he do it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The smell of meat reminds the protagonist of previous events.
Part 1) Describe these events. Why do these events occur?
Part 2) How do these events reveal the horrors of the holocaust?
Part 3) Can you relate to this kind of trauma? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The stranger on the ship says, "I think I'm going to hate you."
Part 1) What does this reveal about the protagonist?
Part 2) What is ironic about this statement?
Part 3) How is this type of honesty repeated later in the novel? How does this help or hurt the protagonist?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)