|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist vow?
2. Of what does he tell her that he will dream?
3. After he awakens, to what does he find himself attached?
4. What does the man not look up to see?
5. What is this woman doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story and the main character.
2. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
3. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
4. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
5. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
6. How does the scene end?
7. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
8. What memory does he then recall?
9. Why does the protagonist believe his grandmother is outside his room?
10. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character thinks more about death than life.
Part 1) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 2) What would his grandmother think about this? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Based on this story, how does the author believe one can change and enjoy life?
Essay Topic 2
Gyula destroys the portrait.
Part 1) Why does he destroy it? Does this help the main character? Why or why not?
Part 2) Would this tactic work with anyone suffering in the same way as the main character? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why does Gyula leave the ashes sitting in a pile? How do they affect the protagonist? Why do they affect him this way?
Essay Topic 3
The cab accident acts as a catalyst.
Part 1) How does it act as a catalyst?
Part 2) What does the protagonist learn about himself through this accident?
Part 3) How has the protagonist changed because of this accident? Why?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)