Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halina do?
2. From what does the protagonist awaken?
3. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
4. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
5. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
2. Why has Gyula painted Eliezer's portrait the way he did?
3. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
4. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
5. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
6. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
7. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
8. To what does the protagonist wake up?
9. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
10. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
Essay Topic 1
In Section 8, the main character realizes he must leave Kathleen.
Part 1) How does he come to this realization?
Part 2) Predict Kathleen's reaction to this news. Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) What takes place after he decides to leave her? What is the connection between this event and his decision to end the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The smell of meat reminds the protagonist of previous events.
Part 1) Describe these events. Why do these events occur?
Part 2) How do these events reveal the horrors of the holocaust?
Part 3) Can you relate to this kind of trauma? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Paul Russel is a pivotal character in the story.
Part 1) Why is he a pivotal character?
Part 2) How does the protagonist interact with him? Why?
Part 3) How, in a sense, are the doctor/patient roles reversed?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)