Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halina do?
2. From what does the protagonist awaken?
3. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
4. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
5. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
2. Why has Gyula painted Eliezer's portrait the way he did?
3. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
4. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
5. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
6. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
7. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
8. To what does the protagonist wake up?
9. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
10. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
The novel ends with the main character crying.
Part 1) For what is he shedding tears?
Part 2) Is he healed? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will his relationships with others be different now, after the destruction of the painting? Why or why not?
Part 4) Will he reconcile with Kathleen? Why or why not?
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
The main character thinks more about death than life.
Part 1) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 2) What would his grandmother think about this? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Based on this story, how does the author believe one can change and enjoy life?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)