|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the nurse give the patient?
2. What has happened to this person at the box office?
3. What horrifies the boy?
4. What happens after he asks the doctor to show her in?
5. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens, moments after the protagonist and Kathleen meet?
2. What happens when Kathleen tries to talk to the protagonist?
3. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
4. To what does the title refer?
5. Describe the details of the accident.
6. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
7. How does this section begin?
8. How does the scene end?
9. Describe the story and the main character.
10. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
Essay Topic 2
The main character thinks more about death than life.
Part 1) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 2) What would his grandmother think about this? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Based on this story, how does the author believe one can change and enjoy life?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is a Holocaust survivor.
Part 1) Describe this character. How is his personality shaped by his experience in a concentration camp?
Part 2) How is he similar to other Holocaust survivors?
Part 3) Compare the main character to the author, who is also a Holocaust survivor.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)