|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this section begin?
2. What does Halina do?
3. Despite what does the stranger stay with him?
4. What is this person waiting to do?
5. Why does she ask him to tell her about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
2. Why does the protagonist believe his grandmother is outside his room?
3. What does Kathleen ask of Eliezer?
4. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
5. How does this section begin?
6. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
7. Why does Kathleen begin to cry?
8. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
9. What is Gyula's own story?
10. Describe the story and the main character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimon, the protagonist's friend, considers him a saint.
Part 1) Why does he consider him a saint? How does the protagonist feel about this?
Part 2) How does the protagonist mimic this thought later in the novel?
Part 3) Compare the person and reaction later in the novel to his reaction to being called a saint.
Part 4) What is the connection between this and the stranger on the ship and Gyula?
Essay Topic 2
The smell of meat reminds the protagonist of previous events.
Part 1) Describe these events. Why do these events occur?
Part 2) How do these events reveal the horrors of the holocaust?
Part 3) Can you relate to this kind of trauma? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist is not named until Section 6.
Part 1) What is his name? Why is it not known until Section 6?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for keeping him anonymous for over half of the novel?
Part 3) How might this reflect how both the author and main character feel about themselves?
This section contains 1,938 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)