|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the original French title of the book?
2. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
3. What does the protagonist suddenly feel a strong desire to do?
4. What happens between Kathleen and the protagonist?
5. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
2. How does the section begin?
3. How does this scene open?
4. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
5. How does this section begin?
6. How does Gyula enter the hospital room the day before Eliezer is scheduled to be released? Why does he react this way?
7. What happens, moments after the protagonist and Kathleen meet?
8. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
9. How does the scene end?
10. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
Essay Topic 1
In Section 8, the main character realizes he must leave Kathleen.
Part 1) How does he come to this realization?
Part 2) Predict Kathleen's reaction to this news. Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) What takes place after he decides to leave her? What is the connection between this event and his decision to end the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
When, in section 2, Kathleen and the protagonist meet for the first time, the protagonist says, "But we already know each other."
Part 1) In what way do they know each other?
Part 2) How do they feed off of each other's needs? What does this do to their relationship?
Part 3) What does the protagonist realize about this relationship? What does he plan to do? Does he do it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is a Holocaust survivor.
Part 1) Describe this character. How is his personality shaped by his experience in a concentration camp?
Part 2) How is he similar to other Holocaust survivors?
Part 3) Compare the main character to the author, who is also a Holocaust survivor.
This section contains 1,911 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)