|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds the protagonist and sobs in his memory?
2. Some time later, what does the protagonist recall for what the same man is pleading?
3. What happens as Kathleen and her boyfriend attempt to eat a hamburger?
4. To whom does he run?
5. What do the two of them do without talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does he tell the nurse? What is her response? Why does he feel this way?
2. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
3. Describe the memory that is triggered by the hamburger.
4. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
5. Describe the details of the accident.
6. Describe the story and the main character.
7. What does the protagonist vow? What ends his memory?
8. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
9. What does this time with Kathleen trigger?
10. What is the protagonist's memory about his grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shimon, the protagonist's friend, considers him a saint.
Part 1) Why does he consider him a saint? How does the protagonist feel about this?
Part 2) How does the protagonist mimic this thought later in the novel?
Part 3) Compare the person and reaction later in the novel to his reaction to being called a saint.
Part 4) What is the connection between this and the stranger on the ship and Gyula?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen tells the doctor that she loves the protagonist, and the doctor replies that sometimes love is stronger than prayer.
Part 1) What does this foreshadow?
Part 2) Do you agree with the doctor? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this love destructive? Why is it destructive?
Essay Topic 3
The author's description of the passersby on the street is bleak.
Part 1) Describe these people. Do they look like this in reality? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this foreshadow the feeling of the rest of the novel?
Part 3) Describe a time when your emotions affected your take on your surroundings.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)