|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimon convince the protagonist to do?
2. What is before them?
3. Despite what does the stranger stay with him?
4. What does the protagonist remember just as the doctor tells him that "she" is waiting outside?
5. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene end?
2. What happens when Kathleen tries to talk to the protagonist?
3. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
4. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
5. Describe the details of the accident.
6. What happens right before the accident?
7. Describe the memory that is triggered by the hamburger.
8. How does this section begin?
9. To what does the protagonist wake up?
10. What memory does he then recall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When lying on the ground, the protagonist is reminded of a poem by Dylan Thomas that says, "rage, rage, against the dying of the light."
Part 1) Why might he think of this poem?
Part 2) How does this contrast with his actions and feelings?
Part 3) How does this poem reflect the beliefs of others in the play?
Essay Topic 2
The cab accident acts as a catalyst.
Part 1) How does it act as a catalyst?
Part 2) What does the protagonist learn about himself through this accident?
Part 3) How has the protagonist changed because of this accident? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The author's description of the passersby on the street is bleak.
Part 1) Describe these people. Do they look like this in reality? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this foreshadow the feeling of the rest of the novel?
Part 3) Describe a time when your emotions affected your take on your surroundings.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)