|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
2. Where does his mind wander?
3. Why does Halina do this?
4. What is before them?
5. What does he want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
2. How does this section begin?
3. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
4. Of what does this insatiable feeling remind him?
5. What does this time with Kathleen trigger?
6. What does the protagonist tell the stranger? How does the stranger respond?
7. Describe the details of the accident.
8. How does the scene end?
9. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
10. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character stays and listens to Sarah's story.
Part 1) How is this similar to Kathleen staying in a relationship with the main character?
Part 2) How does her story reveal more details of life in a concentration camp?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Sarah and the main character.
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a Holocaust survivor.
Part 1) Describe this character. How is his personality shaped by his experience in a concentration camp?
Part 2) How is he similar to other Holocaust survivors?
Part 3) Compare the main character to the author, who is also a Holocaust survivor.
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)