|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kathleen determined to see?
2. What does he want to do?
3. What does the stranger standing next to him in the dark do?
4. What has this accident set off?
5. What does the protagonist suddenly feel a strong desire to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does he tell the nurse? What is her response? Why does he feel this way?
2. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
3. What happens when Kathleen tries to talk to the protagonist?
4. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
5. How does the scene end?
6. Describe the story and the main character.
7. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
8. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
9. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
10. To what does the protagonist wake up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gyula is the protagonist's friend.
Part 1) Describe Gyula. How is he a breath of fresh air for the protagonist?
Part 2) What does Gyula create for the protagonist? Why?
Part 3) how does Gyula's approach affect the protagonist? Has this helped the protagonist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist is not named until Section 6.
Part 1) What is his name? Why is it not known until Section 6?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for keeping him anonymous for over half of the novel?
Part 3) How might this reflect how both the author and main character feel about themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Paul Russel is a pivotal character in the story.
Part 1) Why is he a pivotal character?
Part 2) How does the protagonist interact with him? Why?
Part 3) How, in a sense, are the doctor/patient roles reversed?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)