|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite what does the stranger stay with him?
2. What is before them?
3. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
4. Of what does he tell her that he will dream?
5. What does Shimon convince the protagonist to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the memory that is triggered by the hamburger.
2. What happens right before the accident?
3. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
4. What happens, moments after the protagonist and Kathleen meet?
5. What is significant about this meeting between the protagonist and Kathleen?
6. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
7. What does he tell the nurse? What is her response? Why does he feel this way?
8. Of what does this insatiable feeling remind him?
9. What memory does he then recall?
10. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel, the protagonist moves in and out of time.
Part 1) Give two examples of this. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 3) Is this effective in showing the inner workings of the protagonist's mind? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author's description of the passersby on the street is bleak.
Part 1) Describe these people. Do they look like this in reality? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this foreshadow the feeling of the rest of the novel?
Part 3) Describe a time when your emotions affected your take on your surroundings.
Essay Topic 3
The cab accident acts as a catalyst.
Part 1) How does it act as a catalyst?
Part 2) What does the protagonist learn about himself through this accident?
Part 3) How has the protagonist changed because of this accident? Why?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)