|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
2. When does Halina stop him?
3. What is the original French title of the book?
4. Despite what does the stranger stay with him?
5. What does the nurse promise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
2. Describe the memory that is triggered by the hamburger.
3. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
4. To what does the title refer?
5. Of what does this insatiable feeling remind him?
6. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
7. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
8. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
9. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
10. To what does the protagonist wake up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cab accident acts as a catalyst.
Part 1) How does it act as a catalyst?
Part 2) What does the protagonist learn about himself through this accident?
Part 3) How has the protagonist changed because of this accident? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The doctor knows the protagonist does not care about life.
Part 1) How does he know this? What is the protagonist's reaction? Why does he react this way?
Part 2) Why can the doctor not understand the protagonist's depression?
Part 3) With what is the doctor concerned? Should that be his only concern? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is a Holocaust survivor.
Part 1) Describe this character. How is his personality shaped by his experience in a concentration camp?
Part 2) How is he similar to other Holocaust survivors?
Part 3) Compare the main character to the author, who is also a Holocaust survivor.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)