|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are strangers like stars?
2. Despite what does the stranger stay with him?
3. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
4. How does this section begin?
5. What does the protagonist vow?
Short Essay Questions
1. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
2. Describe the details of the accident.
3. What does the protagonist tell the stranger? How does the stranger respond?
4. Of what does this insatiable feeling remind him?
5. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
6. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
7. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
8. What happens, moments after the protagonist and Kathleen meet?
9. What is significant about this meeting between the protagonist and Kathleen?
10. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When, in section 2, Kathleen and the protagonist meet for the first time, the protagonist says, "But we already know each other."
Part 1) In what way do they know each other?
Part 2) How do they feed off of each other's needs? What does this do to their relationship?
Part 3) What does the protagonist realize about this relationship? What does he plan to do? Does he do it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Section 8, the main character realizes he must leave Kathleen.
Part 1) How does he come to this realization?
Part 2) Predict Kathleen's reaction to this news. Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) What takes place after he decides to leave her? What is the connection between this event and his decision to end the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist is not named until Section 6.
Part 1) What is his name? Why is it not known until Section 6?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for keeping him anonymous for over half of the novel?
Part 3) How might this reflect how both the author and main character feel about themselves?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)