Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halina do?
2. From what does the protagonist awaken?
3. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
4. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
5. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
2. Why has Gyula painted Eliezer's portrait the way he did?
3. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
4. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
5. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
6. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
7. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
8. To what does the protagonist wake up?
9. How do Kathleen and the protagonist feel about one another?
10. What does the doctor tell the protagonist?
When lying on the ground, the protagonist is reminded of a poem by Dylan Thomas that says, "rage, rage, against the dying of the light."
Part 1) Why might he think of this poem?
Part 2) How does this contrast with his actions and feelings?
Part 3) How does this poem reflect the beliefs of others in the play?
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
Throughout this novel, the protagonist moves in and out of time.
Part 1) Give two examples of this. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How does this affect his relationship with others?
Part 3) Is this effective in showing the inner workings of the protagonist's mind? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)