|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does he grapple?
2. Why does the protagonist make an excuse to leave?
3. The main character is _______________ whose own experiences during the holocaust have left him, like many others, with a strong sense of despair and self-loathing.
4. What does Kathleen try to convince him to do?
5. What does the nurse promise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
2. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
3. To what does the title refer?
4. To what does the protagonist wake up?
5. Describe the details of the accident.
6. What does he tell the nurse? What is her response? Why does he feel this way?
7. What happens when Kathleen tries to talk to the protagonist?
8. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
9. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
10. What is significant about this meeting between the protagonist and Kathleen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stranger on the ship says, "I think I'm going to hate you."
Part 1) What does this reveal about the protagonist?
Part 2) What is ironic about this statement?
Part 3) How is this type of honesty repeated later in the novel? How does this help or hurt the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ends with the main character crying.
Part 1) For what is he shedding tears?
Part 2) Is he healed? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will his relationships with others be different now, after the destruction of the painting? Why or why not?
Part 4) Will he reconcile with Kathleen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist believes survivors are pretending.
Part 1) At what are they pretending?
Part 2) Why does he believe they are pretending?
Part 3) Is he ever able to stop pretending? Why or why not?
Part 4) How is this related to his thoughts about saints?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)