|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite their constant companionship, what happens to Kathleen?
(a) She becomes more and more depressed.
(b) She feels lonely.
(c) She does not like Eliezer.
(d) She is bored.
2. What does she know he will continue to do?
(a) Be in love with her.
(b) Drift back to the place where she cannot reach him.
(c) Annoy her.
(d) Depress her.
3. What do they occasionally see?
(a) A movie.
(c) Something that might have moved them once.
(d) A concert.
4. What does she begin to do?
(a) Drink too much.
(b) Cancel dates.
(c) Find excuses not to see Eliezer.
(d) Go out with other people.
5. Where is he reading?
(a) A library.
(b) In a cafe.
(c) The livingroom.
(d) A cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his teacher tell him to say?
2. If he truly loved her, what would he not have to do?
3. What does she say when he asks her what is wrong?
4. Who is Sarah?
5. What does Eliezer feel about his past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the doctor and the protagonist say about the river?
2. What does the protagonist realize he wants to do? How does the girl react?
3. How has this traumatic experience affected the girl?
4. What does Kathleen say, one night when they are in bed together?
5. What does the girl tell the protagonist?
6. How does this scene open?
7. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
8. What does Kathleen ask the protagonist? What is his response?
9. Who arrives before Kathleen? Describe their behavior. How does the protagonist respond to this.
10. Where can Kathleen not reach the protagonist? How does she deal with this?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)