|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has this accident set off?
(a) The police.
(b) A war.
(c) A series of memories.
(d) An alarm.
2. Leaving the meal uneaten, what do the protagonist and Kathleen discuss?
(a) Where they should go next.
(b) The time.
(c) The protagonist's inability to eat meat.
(d) Where to find a better meal.
3. What memory does this trigger?
(a) A school day many years before.
(b) His bar mitzvah.
(c) A voyage he took to South America after the war.
(d) A day spent with his grandmother.
4. What does the stranger recall?
(a) How he wanted to feel the cold water on his body.
(b) How nervous he was to dance.
(c) How memorable his mar mitzvah was.
(d) How the sea called to him to end it all by jumping in.
5. What horrifies the boy?
(a) The thought of God's Son dying for us.
(b) The thought of God being buried alive.
(c) The thought of God being immortal.
(d) The thought that God has already died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kathleen convince him to do this?
2. The main character is _______________ whose own experiences during the holocaust have left him, like many others, with a strong sense of despair and self-loathing.
3. Of what does he tell her that he will dream?
4. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
5. What does the protagonist do when Kathleen attempts to start a conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
2. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
3. What happens when Kathleen tries to talk to the protagonist?
4. Describe the story and the main character.
5. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
6. Why does the protagonist believe his grandmother is outside his room?
7. How does the scene end?
8. What is the protagonist's memory about his grandmother?
9. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
10. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)