|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can he not have a drink?
(a) It will make him vomit.
(b) He is about to go into surgery.
(c) He is on IVs.
(d) There is no water available.
2. When does Halina stop him?
(a) Just as he hails a cab.
(b) Just before he crosses the street.
(c) Just as he is walking into a restaurant.
(d) Just as she notices another woman.
3. How does the man in the concentration camp try to justify his actions?
(a) Says that the person he ate was already dead.
(b) He likes meat.
(c) There was nothing else to eat.
(d) He will share.
4. What does the protagonist do when Kathleen attempts to start a conversation?
(a) He stops her.
(b) He joins in the conversation.
(c) He listens to her.
(d) He cuts her off.
5. Why does he believe his grandmother is waiting outside?
(a) He can see her in the doorway.
(b) The doctor tells him his grandmother is outside.
(c) He thinks he hears her voice.
(d) He is trapped between the past and the present.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what does he see his grandmother crammed?
2. How does this section begin?
3. What does the protagonist tell the stranger?
4. What is Kathleen determined to see?
5. What is this person waiting to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this section begin?
2. How does Gyula enter the hospital room the day before Eliezer is scheduled to be released? Why does he react this way?
3. How does this scene open?
4. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
5. What would happen if the protagonist did not do what the teacher told him to do?
6. What is Gyula's own story?
7. Describe the protagonist's story about his teacher.
8. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
9. What does the protagonist vow? What ends his memory?
10. Of what does this insatiable feeling remind him?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)