|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he want to do?
(a) Dance like the others.
(b) Jump in and drown.
(c) Play on the swingset.
(d) Be the character in the book.
2. What is Kathleen determined to see?
(a) The protagonist eat a meal.
(b) The city skyline.
(c) Her family.
(d) The Brothers Karamazov.
3. When does Halina stop him?
(a) Just before he crosses the street.
(b) Just as she notices another woman.
(c) Just as he hails a cab.
(d) Just as he is walking into a restaurant.
4. Some time later, what does the protagonist recall for what the same man is pleading?
(a) A new hamburger.
(b) His life with the people who share his barracks.
(c) A chance to serve in a restaurant.
(d) Another meal.
5. What happens when she is also crying out for water?
(a) Nobody is there to quench her thirst.
(b) He gives her water.
(c) She will vomit if she has water.
(d) She must go searching for water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger recall?
2. What happens when his pleas for mercy go unheard?
3. What memory does this trigger?
4. Who has Kathleen left standing at the box office?
5. What does the protagonist vow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
2. What does the protagonist vow? What ends his memory?
3. What does this time with Kathleen trigger?
4. Describe the details of the accident.
5. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
6. To what does the protagonist wake up?
7. Why does the protagonist believe his grandmother is outside his room?
8. To what does the title refer?
9. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
10. How does the scene end?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)