|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should one not look at too long?
(a) The sea.
(b) Their friends.
(c) Their souls.
(d) The dark.
2. With what does he grapple?
(a) His urge to end his life while simultaneously recovering from a near-death experience.
(b) His desire to end the war he has just begun.
(c) His urge to turn off the alarm, yet keep it ringing.
(d) His desire to tell the police not to come.
3. What does Halina do?
(a) Turns to walk the other way.
(b) Calls Kathleen over.
(c) Ignores Kathleen.
(d) Taps Kathleen on the shoulder.
4. What does the man not look up to see?
(a) The young boy eating a hamburger.
(b) The Germans watching him.
(c) The young boy in front of him.
(d) The others in the barracks also wanting food.
5. Why does Kathleen convince him to do this?
(a) He admits to having eaten nothing all day.
(b) He looks tired.
(c) He needs a break from reality.
(d) He needs to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what is he troubled?
2. The title of the novel refers to what type of accident?
3. What does he want to do?
4. What does his grandma tell him the presence of God will do?
5. What has happened to this person at the box office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does he then recall?
2. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
3. What is the protagonist's memory about his grandmother?
4. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
5. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
6. To what does the protagonist wake up?
7. Describe the story and the main character.
8. What does the protagonist tell the stranger? How does the stranger respond?
9. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
10. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)