|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memory does this trigger?
(a) A school day many years before.
(b) A day spent with his grandmother.
(c) A voyage he took to South America after the war.
(d) His bar mitzvah.
2. What is THE ACCIDENT?
(a) The story of a businessman and his corrupt business deal.
(b) The story of a famous train wreck in the United States.
(c) The story of a Holocaust survivor struggling to adjust to life after World War II.
(d) The story of a war that took place due to a communication error.
3. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
(a) Kathleen tells him she is getting cold.
(b) When Kathleen kisses him.
(c) When the story in his mind ends.
(d) When a loud noise is heard.
4. When does the protagonist realize it is not his grandmother waiting for him?
(a) When he remembers his grandmother is dead.
(b) When he hears Kathleen's voice.
(c) When the stranger walks in the room.
(d) When the doctor mentions Kathleen by name.
5. Why does he tell her he does not want to talk about himself?
(a) He is embarrassed to be the center of attention.
(b) He wants to first know about her.
(c) If he did she would only hate him.
(d) He is shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this person waiting to do?
2. What is causing this insatiable thirst?
3. What does he want to do?
4. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
5. Some time later, what does the protagonist recall for what the same man is pleading?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about this meeting between the protagonist and Kathleen?
2. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
3. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
4. How does this section begin?
5. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
6. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
7. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
8. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
9. What does he tell the nurse? What is her response? Why does he feel this way?
10. How does the scene end?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)