|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
(b) The protagonist.
2. What should one not look at too long?
(a) The sea.
(b) The dark.
(c) Their souls.
(d) Their friends.
3. What does the man not look up to see?
(a) The young boy eating a hamburger.
(b) The others in the barracks also wanting food.
(c) The young boy in front of him.
(d) The Germans watching him.
4. Who is Shimon on his way to meet?
(a) The protagonist.
(b) A woman named Halina.
(c) His new boss.
5. What is the protagonist standing alone doing?
(a) Staring at the sea.
(b) Looking out into the backyard.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Watching the others dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes him to think about his grandmother in this way?
2. With what does he grapple?
3. After he awakens, to what does he find himself attached?
4. Why does he believe his grandmother is waiting outside?
5. Why does she ask him to tell her about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the protagonist believe his grandmother is outside his room?
2. What happens right before the accident?
3. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
4. Of what does this insatiable feeling remind him?
5. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
6. What is the protagonist's memory about his grandmother?
7. Describe the memory that is triggered by the hamburger.
8. What is significant about this meeting between the protagonist and Kathleen?
9. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
10. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)