|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
(a) Wanting new friends.
(b) Moving from city to city.
(c) Becoming bored.
(d) Withdrawing from life.
2. What does the stranger never do?
(a) Stop the protagonist or ask for clarification.
(b) Stop talking.
(d) Listen to his story.
3. How does the stranger surprise him?
(a) "You are the best man I have ever met."
(b) "You must know this. I think I am going to hate you."
(c) "You are a saint."
(d) "You are the saddest person I have ever known."
4. Why does the protagonist make an excuse to leave?
(a) He is not interested in Kathleen.
(b) He is anxious to escape conversation.
(c) He is not feeling well.
(d) He does not like Halina.
5. Into what does he see his grandmother crammed?
(a) A closet.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A too-tight space with too many other bodies.
(d) A grave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this woman doing?
2. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
3. What happens moments later?
4. What is THE ACCIDENT?
5. What does the protagonist vow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens right before the accident?
2. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
3. What does he tell the nurse? What is her response? Why does he feel this way?
4. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
5. What memory does he then recall?
6. Describe the details of the accident.
7. Describe the protagonist's first evening with Kathleen.
8. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
9. What does this time with Kathleen trigger?
10. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)