|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
(a) When Kathleen kisses him.
(b) When a loud noise is heard.
(c) Kathleen tells him she is getting cold.
(d) When the story in his mind ends.
2. To whom does he run?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His grandmother.
3. What does he want to do?
(a) Play on the swingset.
(b) Be the character in the book.
(c) Dance like the others.
(d) Jump in and drown.
4. Some time later, what does the protagonist recall for what the same man is pleading?
(a) His life with the people who share his barracks.
(b) Another meal.
(c) A chance to serve in a restaurant.
(d) A new hamburger.
5. With whom is the protagonist?
(a) His friend, Shimon Yanai.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His girlfriend, Kathleen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the protagonist standing alone doing?
2. The main character is _______________ whose own experiences during the holocaust have left him, like many others, with a strong sense of despair and self-loathing.
3. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
4. What does he want to do?
5. What does Halina do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
2. Describe the memory that is triggered by the hamburger.
3. Describe the details of the accident.
4. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
5. What happens right before the accident?
6. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
7. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
8. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
9. What is the protagonist's memory about his grandmother?
10. To what does the protagonist wake up?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)