|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memory does this trigger?
(a) His bar mitzvah.
(b) A day spent with his grandmother.
(c) A school day many years before.
(d) A voyage he took to South America after the war.
2. How does this section begin?
(a) On a warm, still night in New York.
(b) On a cold and windy Paris night.
(c) On a cool fall Chicago night.
(d) On a cold and snowy day in London.
3. The title of the novel refers to what type of accident?
4. Why can he not have a drink?
(a) He is on IVs.
(b) There is no water available.
(c) It will make him vomit.
(d) He is about to go into surgery.
5. What experience does the stranger relate to him?
(a) When he first learned to dance.
(b) When he found himself staring at the sea.
(c) When he jumped into the water.
(d) When he had his bar mitzvah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist do when Kathleen attempts to start a conversation?
2. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
3. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
4. Some time later, what does the protagonist recall for what the same man is pleading?
5. Leaving the meal uneaten, what do the protagonist and Kathleen discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does the title refer?
2. What memory does he then recall?
3. What is the protagonist's memory about his grandmother?
4. What happens right before the accident?
5. Describe the details of the accident.
6. How does the protagonist react to the stranger's honesty?
7. What does the protagonist criticize in the first section of the novel?
8. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
9. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
10. How does this section begin?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)