|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halina do?
(a) Calls Kathleen over.
(b) Ignores Kathleen.
(c) Taps Kathleen on the shoulder.
(d) Turns to walk the other way.
2. What does Kathleen try to convince him to do?
(a) Go to a movie.
(b) Eat something.
(d) Go home.
3. What does the protagonist tell the stranger?
(a) His life in recent years.
(c) Everything about his childhood, his grandmother, his teacher, and his dreams.
(d) A little bit about his life.
4. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
(a) A place to call home.
(b) His family.
(c) A cure for cancer.
(d) Any satisfaction in life.
5. What is the protagonist standing alone doing?
(a) Staring at the sea.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Watching the others dance.
(d) Looking out into the backyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does he grapple?
2. What happens between Kathleen and the protagonist?
3. What is he unable to explain to his father about the stolen money?
4. What causes him to think about his grandmother in this way?
5. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does the protagonist wake up?
2. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
3. What happens right before the accident?
4. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
5. What is significant about this meeting between the protagonist and Kathleen?
6. Why does the protagonist begin to tell the stranger his story?
7. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
8. To what does the title refer?
9. How does this section begin?
10. Describe the scene between the protagonist and the stranger.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)