|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first section of the novel, where is the protagonist with his girlfriend, Kathleen?
(b) New York City.
2. He notices the passersby, and what does he remark to himself?
(a) Where they are all headed.
(b) How haggard everybody looks.
(c) How he wishes he could be so content.
(d) How beautiful they are.
3. What does the stranger standing next to him in the dark do?
(a) Push him on the swing.
(b) Ask him to dance.
(c) Starts a conversation.
(d) Push him in the water.
4. What does his grandma tell him the presence of God will do?
(a) Fight off evil.
(b) Be with her always.
(c) Keep them warm in the grave.
(d) Comfort him.
5. What does the nurse promise?
(a) His memories will be gone soon.
(b) He will not live through the night.
(c) He will feel no pain.
(d) He will sleep and not be thirsty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two of them do without talking?
2. What is before them?
3. Of what does he tell her that he will dream?
4. What does the nurse give the patient?
5. After he awakens, to what does he find himself attached?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the protagonist tries to eat a hamburger?
2. What does the protagonist realize years later about his grandmother?
3. To whom does he run in this memory? What does this person do?
4. What happens right before the accident?
5. What is significant about this meeting between the protagonist and Kathleen?
6. How does the scene end?
7. Describe the memory that is triggered by the hamburger.
8. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
9. What happens, moments after the protagonist and Kathleen meet?
10. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)