|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some time later, what does the protagonist recall for what the same man is pleading?
(a) Another meal.
(b) A chance to serve in a restaurant.
(c) His life with the people who share his barracks.
(d) A new hamburger.
2. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
(a) When the story in his mind ends.
(b) When Kathleen kisses him.
(c) When a loud noise is heard.
(d) Kathleen tells him she is getting cold.
3. Why does the protagonist make an excuse to leave?
(a) He does not like Halina.
(b) He is anxious to escape conversation.
(c) He is not interested in Kathleen.
(d) He is not feeling well.
4. What is he unable to explain to his father about the stolen money?
(a) He likes to steal money.
(b) He feels guilty telling his father he stole it for him.
(c) He feels guilt because his own parents are alive.
(d) He is desperately in need of money.
5. Why does the protagonist have to go to another hospital?
(a) He does not like the first hospital.
(b) The first hospital's staff tells him they have no room.
(c) The first one believes he cannot be saved.
(d) His insurance is not accepted by the first hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when his pleas for mercy go unheard?
2. With what does he grapple?
3. What causes him to think about his grandmother in this way?
4. What happens as Kathleen and her boyfriend attempt to eat a hamburger?
5. What does the stranger recall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens once the protagonist is admitted into the hospital?
2. How does this section begin?
3. How does the scene end?
4. Describe the memory that is triggered by the hamburger.
5. How does the protagonist meet Kathleen?
6. What does the protagonist vow? What ends his memory?
7. What memory does he then recall?
8. After his memory, what does he have a strong desire to do?
9. What does this time with Kathleen trigger?
10. What happens, moments after the protagonist and Kathleen meet?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)