|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the protagonist say this name?
(a) Two days after the accident.
(b) The day of the accident.
(c) Right before the accident.
(d) One month after the accident.
2. What is the result of Kathleen trying to change him?
(a) He has been transformed.
(b) She has become stronger.
(c) He has transformed her.
(d) She is more confident.
3. What does she do when she senses his sudden change of heart?
(a) She asks him to leave.
(b) She takes off her clothes and lies down on the bed in her underwear.
(c) She puts her clothes back on.
(d) She begins to cry.
4. What does he think about this question?
(a) He thinks she is very pretty.
(b) He is not sure why she wants a story read to her.
(c) He is not hungry.
(d) People make love at night, not in the middle of the day.
5. Of what is he also afraid?
(a) He will fall in love with her.
(b) She will hurt him.
(c) He will get into trouble.
(d) He will not know what to do.
6. What does Kathleen tell Eliezer?
(a) She does not love him.
(b) She wants to leave.
(c) She does not care about him.
(d) She loves him.
7. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
(a) She does not want to hear any more.
(b) She cries.
(c) She likes the name Sarah.
(d) She is surprised.
8. Where is our protagonist?
(a) In Paris after the war.
(b) In Kathleen's home.
(c) In New York City before the war.
(d) In a concentration camp.
9. What has Dr. Russel made a habit?
(a) To visit with the protagonist each morning.
(b) To visit with the protagonist each evening.
(c) Sending other doctors in to talk to his patient.
(d) Having dinner with Kathleen.
10. Where is he reading?
(a) The livingroom.
(b) A library.
(c) In a cafe.
(d) A cell.
11. Who comes to visit just before Kathleen arrives?
(b) Three of the protagonist's colleagues.
(d) His father.
12. When does he stop her?
(a) Before she can say why she does not love him.
(b) Before she can say any more hurtful words.
(c) Before she can leave.
(d) Before she can say that she has loved him since the day they met.
13. What do they occasionally see?
(a) Something that might have moved them once.
(b) A movie.
(d) A concert.
14. What does she ask him after she moves closer and sits down with him?
(a) If he could read her a story.
(b) If he likes her.
(c) If he wants to make love.
(d) If he wants to go to dinner.
15. Despite their constant companionship, what happens to Kathleen?
(a) She is bored.
(b) She does not like Eliezer.
(c) She feels lonely.
(d) She becomes more and more depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kathleen wonder about the identity of Sarah?
2. What is her response when he tells her he has no money?
3. Why would this happen?
4. What does she want him to promise?
5. What will Kathleen not stop doing?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)