|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about this point in the story?
(a) This is the first point in the novel where the protagonist is mentioned by name.
(b) The protagonist has finally told Kathleen everything.
(c) Kathleen does not want to hear any more of the protagonist's stories.
(d) Kathleen finally reacts to the protagonist's words.
2. How does the doctor react to the story?
(a) He is calm and understanding.
(b) He is very frustrated and does not understand.
(c) He is very angry.
(d) He is somewhat surprised.
3. What do they occasionally see?
(a) Something that might have moved them once.
(b) A concert.
(c) A movie.
4. What does a teacher tell him will happen three days after he has died?
(a) He will go to heaven.
(b) An angel would come to him.
(c) He will be with Jesus.
(d) He will be in pergatory.
5. What does she know he will continue to do?
(a) Depress her.
(b) Annoy her.
(c) Drift back to the place where she cannot reach him.
(d) Be in love with her.
6. What does the doctor tell the protagonist took place during the surgery?
(a) He had to do more invasive surgery.
(b) The damage done to his body was not as extensive as first thought.
(c) He received no help at all from his patient.
(d) The patient had to be revived.
7. What does the protagonist do?
(a) He locks the door.
(b) He takes her hand in his.
(c) He kisses her gently.
(d) He moves to her and roughly pulls her toward him, and then he kisses her.
8. How does he reply?
(a) He was at the train station.
(b) He cannot forget his memories.
(c) He hates therapists.
(d) He does not want to leave.
9. What is the result of Kathleen trying to change him?
(a) She is more confident.
(b) She has become stronger.
(c) He has transformed her.
(d) He has been transformed.
10. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
(a) He is now dating her.
(b) She is odd.
(c) How extraordinary she is.
(d) She is no longer coming to visit.
11. What does the protagonist want to say to the doctor?
(a) "Why did you save me?"
(b) "You are the best man I have ever met."
(c) "I live because of you."
(d) "You want to know who I am, truly? I don't know myself."
12. Who comes to visit just before Kathleen arrives?
(a) Three of the protagonist's colleagues.
(d) His father.
13. What does Kathleen tell Eliezer?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She wants to leave.
(c) She does not care about him.
(d) She does not love him.
14. What has Dr. Russel made a habit?
(a) Sending other doctors in to talk to his patient.
(b) To visit with the protagonist each evening.
(c) To visit with the protagonist each morning.
(d) Having dinner with Kathleen.
15. What does Kathleen know when he says he will?
(a) He loves her.
(b) It is not possible for him to forget his grandmother.
(c) His mind will not listen.
(d) She will not let him in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the protagonist want to make sure?
2. What does she ask him when she catches him in such a moment?
3. What does the teacher tell him is a serious thing?
4. Why is Kathleen staying in a posh hotel in New York City?
5. What does she say when he asks her what is wrong?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)