|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does this section take place?
(a) Four weeks after the accident.
(b) Two months after the accident.
(c) One day after the accident.
(d) The morning of the surgery.
2. What frightens him most?
(a) She will call the police.
(b) He will be different afterward.
(c) He will not know what he is doing.
(d) She will not like him.
3. To what is this compared?
(a) Getting lost on a road.
(b) Forgetting your own origin.
(c) Wanting to go to hell.
(d) Forgetting your family.
4. How are Kathleen and Eliezer?
(a) In an argument.
(b) No longer together.
5. What does she know he will continue to do?
(a) Annoy her.
(b) Depress her.
(c) Be in love with her.
(d) Drift back to the place where she cannot reach him.
6. What does she do when she senses his sudden change of heart?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) She puts her clothes back on.
(c) She takes off her clothes and lies down on the bed in her underwear.
(d) She asks him to leave.
7. What does the doctor believe is the difference between him and the protagonist?
(a) The doctor is healthy.
(b) The doctor sees death as the only enemy.
(c) The doctor believes death is not the only enemy.
(d) The doctor is wealthy.
8. Where do the two of them go out at night?
(a) To concerts, the theatre, and dinner.
(b) To the symphony.
(c) To small cafes for coffee.
(d) For walks.
9. Why does she respond this way?
(a) She does not know her own mother.
(b) She is jealous of Sarah.
(c) She does not believe in God.
(d) The name has a Biblical sound to it.
10. What does the protagonist do?
(a) He takes her hand in his.
(b) He moves to her and roughly pulls her toward him, and then he kisses her.
(c) He kisses her gently.
(d) He locks the door.
11. What is significant about this point in the story?
(a) Kathleen does not want to hear any more of the protagonist's stories.
(b) Kathleen finally reacts to the protagonist's words.
(c) This is the first point in the novel where the protagonist is mentioned by name.
(d) The protagonist has finally told Kathleen everything.
12. What does Kathleen tell Eliezer?
(a) She does not care about him.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She wants to leave.
(d) She loves him.
13. What do the doctor and the protagonist spend a few moments doing?
(a) Admiring the view from the hospital room.
(b) Talking about his treatment.
14. What has Dr. Russel made a habit?
(a) Sending other doctors in to talk to his patient.
(b) To visit with the protagonist each morning.
(c) Having dinner with Kathleen.
(d) To visit with the protagonist each evening.
15. Who is Sarah?
(a) The protagonist's sister.
(b) Th protagonist's wife.
(c) The protagonist's mother.
(d) The protagonist's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite their constant companionship, what happens to Kathleen?
2. What does she tell him she has found?
3. When does the protagonist say this name?
4. What does his teacher tell him to say?
5. Where is our protagonist?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)