|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what has his desire suddenly turned?
(a) A strong need to understand her.
(c) The desire to leave.
2. Despite their constant companionship, what happens to Kathleen?
(a) She becomes more and more depressed.
(b) She feels lonely.
(c) She does not like Eliezer.
(d) She is bored.
3. What does she begin to do?
(a) Drink too much.
(b) Go out with other people.
(c) Cancel dates.
(d) Find excuses not to see Eliezer.
4. What does the protagonist want to say to the doctor?
(a) "Why did you save me?"
(b) "You are the best man I have ever met."
(c) "You want to know who I am, truly? I don't know myself."
(d) "I live because of you."
5. Where is our protagonist?
(a) In Kathleen's home.
(b) In a concentration camp.
(c) In Paris after the war.
(d) In New York City before the war.
6. What does Kathleen know when he tells her he loves her?
(a) He is unsure how he feels.
(b) He does not.
(c) He is desperate.
(d) He means what he says.
7. What does he do when the nurse hands him a mirror?
(a) He looks into it.
(b) He cries.
(c) He holds it in her face.
(d) He threatens to break it.
8. What is significant about this point in the story?
(a) The protagonist has finally told Kathleen everything.
(b) This is the first point in the novel where the protagonist is mentioned by name.
(c) Kathleen finally reacts to the protagonist's words.
(d) Kathleen does not want to hear any more of the protagonist's stories.
9. Who comes to visit just before Kathleen arrives?
(b) Three of the protagonist's colleagues.
(c) His father.
10. What does the doctor say about Kathleen?
(a) She is odd.
(b) He is now dating her.
(c) She is no longer coming to visit.
(d) How extraordinary she is.
11. When does he stop her?
(a) Before she can say any more hurtful words.
(b) Before she can leave.
(c) Before she can say why she does not love him.
(d) Before she can say that she has loved him since the day they met.
12. What does Eliezer go on to say?
(a) His mother is dead.
(b) His mother abandoned him.
(c) He cannot find his mother.
(d) He does not know what happened to his mother.
13. What is the result of Kathleen trying to change him?
(a) She is more confident.
(b) She has become stronger.
(c) He has been transformed.
(d) He has transformed her.
14. Who arrives to question the protagonist?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) The cab company.
(c) The doctor.
(d) His father.
15. To whom does the protagonist tell this story?
(c) The doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eliezer feel about his past?
2. What does he think about this question?
3. What will Kathleen not stop doing?
4. How does the doctor react to the story?
5. Why would this happen?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)