|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does he stop her?
(a) Before she can say why she does not love him.
(b) Before she can say any more hurtful words.
(c) Before she can say that she has loved him since the day they met.
(d) Before she can leave.
2. Why does he decide to go with her?
(a) Her smile intrigues him.
(b) He has nothing better to do.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) He is curious.
3. Who is Sarah?
(a) Th protagonist's wife.
(b) The protagonist's sister.
(c) The protagonist's mother.
(d) The protagonist's grandmother.
4. What does he think about this question?
(a) He is not sure why she wants a story read to her.
(b) People make love at night, not in the middle of the day.
(c) He is not hungry.
(d) He thinks she is very pretty.
5. What does the teacher tell him is a serious thing?
(a) To get lost on one's way to heaven.
(b) To forget one's own name.
(c) To forget one's mother's name.
(d) To not want to go to heaven.
6. What is Kathleen's response to this story?
(a) She does not want to hear any more.
(b) She is surprised.
(c) She cries.
(d) She likes the name Sarah.
7. What has Dr. Russel made a habit?
(a) To visit with the protagonist each morning.
(b) Sending other doctors in to talk to his patient.
(c) Having dinner with Kathleen.
(d) To visit with the protagonist each evening.
8. How are Kathleen and Eliezer?
(a) In an argument.
(d) No longer together.
9. What does he do when the nurse hands him a mirror?
(a) He cries.
(b) He threatens to break it.
(c) He holds it in her face.
(d) He looks into it.
10. To whom does the protagonist tell this story?
(b) The doctor.
11. What is significant about this point in the story?
(a) This is the first point in the novel where the protagonist is mentioned by name.
(b) Kathleen does not want to hear any more of the protagonist's stories.
(c) Kathleen finally reacts to the protagonist's words.
(d) The protagonist has finally told Kathleen everything.
12. What does the patient finally do?
(a) Tells the doctor to leave.
(b) Hugs the doctor.
(c) Asks for Kathleen.
(d) Tells the doctor a story.
13. What is the result of Kathleen trying to change him?
(a) She has become stronger.
(b) He has been transformed.
(c) She is more confident.
(d) He has transformed her.
14. What does she do when she senses his sudden change of heart?
(a) She puts her clothes back on.
(b) She takes off her clothes and lies down on the bed in her underwear.
(c) She asks him to leave.
(d) She begins to cry.
15. What does she say when he asks her what is wrong?
(a) She is afraid.
(b) She does not know him.
(c) She has never done this before.
(d) She pretends it is nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is this compared?
2. What happens to him, after a while?
3. What do the doctor and the protagonist spend a few moments doing?
4. Of what is he also afraid?
5. Why is Kathleen staying in a posh hotel in New York City?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)