|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nurse give the patient?
(a) Two injections.
(c) A hug.
2. What should one not look at too long?
(a) The sea.
(b) Their souls.
(c) Their friends.
(d) The dark.
3. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
(a) The protagonist.
4. The main character is _______________ whose own experiences during the holocaust have left him, like many others, with a strong sense of despair and self-loathing.
(a) A journalist.
(b) A scientist.
(c) An engineer.
(d) A teacher.
5. By what is he troubled?
(a) This first date with Kathleen.
(b) Ditching his friends.
(c) Kathleen's ability to forget her first date.
(d) The concept of death.
6. What does the protagonist suddenly feel a strong desire to do?
(a) See his grandmother.
(b) Go home.
(c) Tell the doctor the story of his grandmother.
7. What does he want to do?
(a) Play on the swingset.
(b) Jump in and drown.
(c) Dance like the others.
(d) Be the character in the book.
8. What happens between Kathleen and the protagonist?
(a) An argument.
(b) A misunderstanding.
(c) Love at first sight.
(d) An instant recognition.
9. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
(a) Withdrawing from life.
(b) Becoming bored.
(c) Wanting new friends.
(d) Moving from city to city.
10. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
(a) Kathleen tells him she is getting cold.
(b) When Kathleen kisses him.
(c) When the story in his mind ends.
(d) When a loud noise is heard.
11. How does the stranger surprise him?
(a) "You are a saint."
(b) "You are the saddest person I have ever known."
(c) "You must know this. I think I am going to hate you."
(d) "You are the best man I have ever met."
12. What has happened to this person at the box office?
(a) He has been quickly and casually dismissed.
(b) He is going to see a movie.
(c) She is excited for the protagonist.
(d) He is surprised and happy to see Kathleen and the protagonist together.
13. In the first section of the novel, where is the protagonist with his girlfriend, Kathleen?
(a) New York City.
14. How does the man in the concentration camp try to justify his actions?
(a) Says that the person he ate was already dead.
(b) He likes meat.
(c) There was nothing else to eat.
(d) He will share.
15. The title of the novel refers to what type of accident?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is THE ACCIDENT?
2. Where does his mind wander?
3. What does the nurse promise?
4. What does the protagonist remember about his first evening with Kathleen?
5. What has this accident set off?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)