|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grandmother say when the young boy asks when God dies?
(a) God will send his Son to die for us.
(b) God has already died.
(c) God dies in all of us.
(d) God does not die.
2. Why does he feel this way when he eats the hamburger?
(a) He is so hungry.
(b) It is so delicious.
(c) It reminds him of his childhood.
(d) It reminds him of a much earlier time.
3. The main character is _______________ whose own experiences during the holocaust have left him, like many others, with a strong sense of despair and self-loathing.
(a) A teacher.
(b) A journalist.
(c) A scientist.
(d) An engineer.
4. Why does Kathleen convince him to do this?
(a) He looks tired.
(b) He admits to having eaten nothing all day.
(c) He needs a break from reality.
(d) He needs to sleep.
5. What does the stranger never do?
(b) Stop the protagonist or ask for clarification.
(c) Listen to his story.
(d) Stop talking.
6. What does the protagonist do when Kathleen attempts to start a conversation?
(a) He listens to her.
(b) He stops her.
(c) He joins in the conversation.
(d) He cuts her off.
7. What is causing this insatiable thirst?
(a) An intense fever due to an infection.
(b) His memory of his grandmother.
(c) He has not had water in over twenty-four hours.
(d) The medication in the IVs.
8. What does the protagonist tell the stranger?
(a) A little bit about his life.
(b) His life in recent years.
(d) Everything about his childhood, his grandmother, his teacher, and his dreams.
9. He notices the passersby, and what does he remark to himself?
(a) How haggard everybody looks.
(b) How he wishes he could be so content.
(c) How beautiful they are.
(d) Where they are all headed.
10. How does the stranger surprise him?
(a) "You are the saddest person I have ever known."
(b) "You are a saint."
(c) "You are the best man I have ever met."
(d) "You must know this. I think I am going to hate you."
11. What happens as Kathleen and her boyfriend attempt to eat a hamburger?
(a) He eats the entire thing.
(b) She finds herself disgusted by the smell of the meat.
(c) She does not let him have any of it.
(d) He finds himself disgusted by the smell of the meat.
12. What is he unable to explain to his father about the stolen money?
(a) He likes to steal money.
(b) He feels guilt because his own parents are alive.
(c) He is desperately in need of money.
(d) He feels guilty telling his father he stole it for him.
13. When does Halina stop him?
(a) Just as he hails a cab.
(b) Just before he crosses the street.
(c) Just as he is walking into a restaurant.
(d) Just as she notices another woman.
14. What happens after he asks the doctor to show her in?
(a) She does not enter.
(b) They talk for many hours.
(c) He tells her of the memory of his grandmother.
(d) They speak for just a moment.
15. Who has Kathleen left standing at the box office?
(b) Her original date.
(c) The protagonist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger standing next to him in the dark do?
2. What does the protagonist suddenly feel a strong desire to do?
3. What is this person waiting to do?
4. What is before them?
5. What memory does this trigger?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)