|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the protagonist awaken?
(a) A nap.
(b) A deep sleep.
(c) A nightmare.
2. What is Kathleen determined to see?
(a) Her family.
(b) The Brothers Karamazov.
(c) The protagonist eat a meal.
(d) The city skyline.
3. What does the man not look up to see?
(a) The young boy eating a hamburger.
(b) The young boy in front of him.
(c) The Germans watching him.
(d) The others in the barracks also wanting food.
4. What does he want to do?
(a) Be the character in the book.
(b) Dance like the others.
(c) Jump in and drown.
(d) Play on the swingset.
5. He notices the passersby, and what does he remark to himself?
(a) How beautiful they are.
(b) How haggard everybody looks.
(c) How he wishes he could be so content.
(d) Where they are all headed.
6. What happens when she is also crying out for water?
(a) She will vomit if she has water.
(b) He gives her water.
(c) Nobody is there to quench her thirst.
(d) She must go searching for water.
7. Why does she ask him to tell her about himself?
(a) She wants to know him.
(b) She wants to find out what is wrong with him.
(c) She likes to hear his voice.
(d) She does not want to talk.
8. How does this section begin?
(a) On a cold and snowy day in London.
(b) On a cool fall Chicago night.
(c) On a cold and windy Paris night.
(d) On a warm, still night in New York.
9. What experience does the stranger relate to him?
(a) When he found himself staring at the sea.
(b) When he had his bar mitzvah.
(c) When he jumped into the water.
(d) When he first learned to dance.
10. Who holds the protagonist and sobs in his memory?
(a) His friend.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
11. What does the stranger recall?
(a) How he wanted to feel the cold water on his body.
(b) How memorable his mar mitzvah was.
(c) How nervous he was to dance.
(d) How the sea called to him to end it all by jumping in.
12. What does the protagonist vow?
(a) Each time he feels the cold he will remember his grandmother's ashes.
(b) Each time he feels the cold he will remember his grandmother's comforting message.
(c) He will not forget his grandmother's words.
(d) He will pray to God in his grandmother's memory.
13. Why does he tell her he does not want to talk about himself?
(a) He wants to first know about her.
(b) He is embarrassed to be the center of attention.
(c) He is shy.
(d) If he did she would only hate him.
14. Despite what does the stranger stay with him?
(a) The darkness.
(b) The protagonist's complaint that he can not dance.
(c) The protagonist's ill humor and his obvious desire to be alone.
(d) The cold weather.
15. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
(a) When a loud noise is heard.
(b) When Kathleen kisses him.
(c) When the story in his mind ends.
(d) Kathleen tells him she is getting cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has this accident set off?
2. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
3. What happens as Kathleen and her boyfriend attempt to eat a hamburger?
4. When does the protagonist realize it is not his grandmother waiting for him?
5. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)