|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he feel this way when he eats the hamburger?
(a) It reminds him of a much earlier time.
(b) He is so hungry.
(c) It reminds him of his childhood.
(d) It is so delicious.
2. Despite what does the stranger stay with him?
(a) The darkness.
(b) The protagonist's complaint that he can not dance.
(c) The protagonist's ill humor and his obvious desire to be alone.
(d) The cold weather.
3. What does the protagonist vow?
(a) Each time he feels the cold he will remember his grandmother's comforting message.
(b) He will pray to God in his grandmother's memory.
(c) He will not forget his grandmother's words.
(d) Each time he feels the cold he will remember his grandmother's ashes.
4. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
(a) Moving from city to city.
(b) Withdrawing from life.
(c) Becoming bored.
(d) Wanting new friends.
5. How does this section begin?
(a) On a warm, still night in New York.
(b) On a cool fall Chicago night.
(c) On a cold and windy Paris night.
(d) On a cold and snowy day in London.
6. Why does the protagonist make an excuse to leave?
(a) He is not feeling well.
(b) He is not interested in Kathleen.
(c) He is anxious to escape conversation.
(d) He does not like Halina.
7. What does Kathleen try to convince him to do?
(b) Go to a movie.
(c) Go home.
(d) Eat something.
8. When does the protagonist realize it is not his grandmother waiting for him?
(a) When he remembers his grandmother is dead.
(b) When the doctor mentions Kathleen by name.
(c) When he hears Kathleen's voice.
(d) When the stranger walks in the room.
9. What is causing this insatiable thirst?
(a) The medication in the IVs.
(b) An intense fever due to an infection.
(c) He has not had water in over twenty-four hours.
(d) His memory of his grandmother.
10. What is the nurse's response?
(a) That is very sweet.
(b) She will give him a shot against his dreams.
(c) He is very sweet to think of her.
(d) His grandmother will help him heal.
11. What is this woman doing?
(a) Waiting in line to see a movie.
(b) Kathleen is on a date.
(c) Sitting on a bench.
(d) Talking on a pay phone.
12. What does the stranger standing next to him in the dark do?
(a) Starts a conversation.
(b) Push him on the swing.
(c) Push him in the water.
(d) Ask him to dance.
13. Into what does he see his grandmother crammed?
(a) A closet.
(b) A grave.
(c) A coffin.
(d) A too-tight space with too many other bodies.
14. What does the nurse promise?
(a) He will not live through the night.
(b) His memories will be gone soon.
(c) He will feel no pain.
(d) He will sleep and not be thirsty.
15. Why does the protagonist have to go to another hospital?
(a) He does not like the first hospital.
(b) The first hospital's staff tells him they have no room.
(c) His insurance is not accepted by the first hospital.
(d) The first one believes he cannot be saved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grandmother say when the young boy asks when God dies?
2. What happens moments later?
3. What does Halina do?
4. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
5. What does the protagonist remember about his first evening with Kathleen?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)