|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when his pleas for mercy go unheard?
(a) The man is escorted out of the prison camp.
(b) The young boy finds the same man hanging from the rafters of the barracks.
(c) The boy tells him to run for his life.
(d) He is shot by the Nazis.
2. What should one not look at too long?
(a) The sea.
(b) Their friends.
(c) The dark.
(d) Their souls.
3. What memory does this trigger?
(a) A day spent with his grandmother.
(b) A school day many years before.
(c) His bar mitzvah.
(d) A voyage he took to South America after the war.
4. What does the stranger never do?
(a) Listen to his story.
(b) Stop the protagonist or ask for clarification.
(c) Stop talking.
5. Why does he feel this way when he eats the hamburger?
(a) It reminds him of a much earlier time.
(b) It is so delicious.
(c) He is so hungry.
(d) It reminds him of his childhood.
6. When does the protagonist realize it is not his grandmother waiting for him?
(a) When he remembers his grandmother is dead.
(b) When he hears Kathleen's voice.
(c) When the stranger walks in the room.
(d) When the doctor mentions Kathleen by name.
7. What does the stranger standing next to him in the dark do?
(a) Push him on the swing.
(b) Push him in the water.
(c) Ask him to dance.
(d) Starts a conversation.
8. What horrifies the boy?
(a) The thought that God has already died.
(b) The thought of God being buried alive.
(c) The thought of God's Son dying for us.
(d) The thought of God being immortal.
9. The title of the novel refers to what type of accident?
10. What does Halina do?
(a) Ignores Kathleen.
(b) Calls Kathleen over.
(c) Taps Kathleen on the shoulder.
(d) Turns to walk the other way.
11. With what does he grapple?
(a) His desire to end the war he has just begun.
(b) His urge to turn off the alarm, yet keep it ringing.
(c) His desire to tell the police not to come.
(d) His urge to end his life while simultaneously recovering from a near-death experience.
12. What is the original French title of the book?
(a) "Le Soir (Evening)."
(b) "La Nuit (Night)."
(c) "Le Jour (Day)."
(d) "L'Accident (Accident)."
13. What does the protagonist tell the stranger?
(a) Everything about his childhood, his grandmother, his teacher, and his dreams.
(c) A little bit about his life.
(d) His life in recent years.
14. What has happened to this person at the box office?
(a) He is going to see a movie.
(b) She is excited for the protagonist.
(c) He has been quickly and casually dismissed.
(d) He is surprised and happy to see Kathleen and the protagonist together.
15. What is Kathleen determined to see?
(a) The protagonist eat a meal.
(b) Her family.
(c) The city skyline.
(d) The Brothers Karamazov.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist suddenly feel a strong desire to do?
2. What is THE ACCIDENT?
3. What does he want to do?
4. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
5. Why does she ask him to tell her about himself?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)