|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leaving the meal uneaten, what do the protagonist and Kathleen discuss?
(a) Where to find a better meal.
(b) Where they should go next.
(c) The time.
(d) The protagonist's inability to eat meat.
2. Why does he feel this way when he eats the hamburger?
(a) It reminds him of a much earlier time.
(b) He is so hungry.
(c) It is so delicious.
(d) It reminds him of his childhood.
3. What does Shimon convince the protagonist to do?
(a) Date Halina.
(b) Accompany him.
(c) Go home.
(d) Go in his stead.
4. With whom is the protagonist?
(a) His girlfriend, Kathleen.
(b) His father.
(c) His friend, Shimon Yanai.
(d) His mother.
5. When does Halina stop him?
(a) Just before he crosses the street.
(b) Just as he hails a cab.
(c) Just as he is walking into a restaurant.
(d) Just as she notices another woman.
6. What happens when his pleas for mercy go unheard?
(a) He is shot by the Nazis.
(b) The man is escorted out of the prison camp.
(c) The boy tells him to run for his life.
(d) The young boy finds the same man hanging from the rafters of the barracks.
7. When does the protagonist realize it is not his grandmother waiting for him?
(a) When the doctor mentions Kathleen by name.
(b) When he remembers his grandmother is dead.
(c) When the stranger walks in the room.
(d) When he hears Kathleen's voice.
8. What is the protagonist standing alone doing?
(a) Staring at the sea.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Looking out into the backyard.
(d) Watching the others dance.
9. The main character is _______________ whose own experiences during the holocaust have left him, like many others, with a strong sense of despair and self-loathing.
(a) A scientist.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A journalist.
(d) An engineer.
10. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
(a) He and Kathleen have never met.
(b) Kathleen does not seem to recognize him.
(c) He has only met her once before.
(d) They have not seen each other in over twenty years.
11. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
(a) His family.
(b) A place to call home.
(c) Any satisfaction in life.
(d) A cure for cancer.
12. What does he want to do?
(a) Play on the swingset.
(b) Be the character in the book.
(c) Dance like the others.
(d) Jump in and drown.
13. To whom does he run?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His teacher.
14. How does the stranger surprise him?
(a) "You must know this. I think I am going to hate you."
(b) "You are a saint."
(c) "You are the saddest person I have ever known."
(d) "You are the best man I have ever met."
15. What does his grandma tell him the presence of God will do?
(a) Fight off evil.
(b) Be with her always.
(c) Comfort him.
(d) Keep them warm in the grave.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
2. Why does Halina do this?
3. What experience does the stranger relate to him?
4. Who holds the protagonist and sobs in his memory?
5. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)