|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as Kathleen and her boyfriend attempt to eat a hamburger?
(a) He finds himself disgusted by the smell of the meat.
(b) She finds herself disgusted by the smell of the meat.
(c) He eats the entire thing.
(d) She does not let him have any of it.
2. What is the protagonist standing alone doing?
(a) Staring at the sea.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Watching the others dance.
(d) Looking out into the backyard.
3. Why does he feel this way when he eats the hamburger?
(a) It reminds him of a much earlier time.
(b) It reminds him of his childhood.
(c) It is so delicious.
(d) He is so hungry.
4. Why can he not have a drink?
(a) He is on IVs.
(b) He is about to go into surgery.
(c) It will make him vomit.
(d) There is no water available.
5. What does Shimon convince the protagonist to do?
(a) Accompany him.
(b) Go in his stead.
(c) Go home.
(d) Date Halina.
6. What is THE ACCIDENT?
(a) The story of a war that took place due to a communication error.
(b) The story of a famous train wreck in the United States.
(c) The story of a businessman and his corrupt business deal.
(d) The story of a Holocaust survivor struggling to adjust to life after World War II.
7. What is causing this insatiable thirst?
(a) An intense fever due to an infection.
(b) His memory of his grandmother.
(c) He has not had water in over twenty-four hours.
(d) The medication in the IVs.
8. What is this person waiting to do?
(a) Give the protagonist more medication.
(b) See the protagonist.
(c) Leave the protagonist.
(d) Talk to the doctor.
9. After he awakens, to what does he find himself attached?
(b) A monitor.
(c) Several needles.
(d) A bed.
10. What does he tell the nurse that he wants an injection to take away?
(a) His life.
(b) His pain.
(c) His memories.
(d) His thirst.
11. He notices the passersby, and what does he remark to himself?
(a) How haggard everybody looks.
(b) How beautiful they are.
(c) How he wishes he could be so content.
(d) Where they are all headed.
12. What experience does the stranger relate to him?
(a) When he jumped into the water.
(b) When he had his bar mitzvah.
(c) When he found himself staring at the sea.
(d) When he first learned to dance.
13. Eventually, what does the protagonist come to realize?
(a) It is safe to speak to the stranger.
(b) The stranger is very odd.
(c) The stranger wants to push him in the water.
(d) The stranger is just like him.
14. Some time later, what does the protagonist recall for what the same man is pleading?
(a) His life with the people who share his barracks.
(b) A chance to serve in a restaurant.
(c) A new hamburger.
(d) Another meal.
15. How does this section begin?
(a) On a cold and snowy day in London.
(b) On a warm, still night in New York.
(c) On a cold and windy Paris night.
(d) On a cool fall Chicago night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has this accident set off?
2. Why does she ask him to tell her about himself?
3. What does the grandmother say when the young boy asks when God dies?
4. Why does Halina do this?
5. What does the protagonist suddenly feel a strong desire to do?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)