|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He notices the passersby, and what does he remark to himself?
(a) How haggard everybody looks.
(b) Where they are all headed.
(c) How he wishes he could be so content.
(d) How beautiful they are.
2. After he awakens, to what does he find himself attached?
(a) A bed.
(b) Several needles.
(c) A monitor.
3. What is this woman doing?
(a) Sitting on a bench.
(b) Kathleen is on a date.
(c) Waiting in line to see a movie.
(d) Talking on a pay phone.
4. When does Halina stop him?
(a) Just before he crosses the street.
(b) Just as she notices another woman.
(c) Just as he hails a cab.
(d) Just as he is walking into a restaurant.
5. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
(a) When the story in his mind ends.
(b) When a loud noise is heard.
(c) Kathleen tells him she is getting cold.
(d) When Kathleen kisses him.
6. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
(d) The protagonist.
7. The title of the novel refers to what type of accident?
8. What horrifies the boy?
(a) The thought that God has already died.
(b) The thought of God being buried alive.
(c) The thought of God being immortal.
(d) The thought of God's Son dying for us.
9. What has happened to this person at the box office?
(a) She is excited for the protagonist.
(b) He is surprised and happy to see Kathleen and the protagonist together.
(c) He is going to see a movie.
(d) He has been quickly and casually dismissed.
10. In the first section of the novel, where is the protagonist with his girlfriend, Kathleen?
(b) New York City.
11. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
(a) Kathleen does not seem to recognize him.
(b) They have not seen each other in over twenty years.
(c) He has only met her once before.
(d) He and Kathleen have never met.
12. What does the nurse give the patient?
(a) Two injections.
(c) A hug.
13. Eventually, what does the protagonist come to realize?
(a) The stranger wants to push him in the water.
(b) The stranger is very odd.
(c) It is safe to speak to the stranger.
(d) The stranger is just like him.
14. Why can he not have a drink?
(a) There is no water available.
(b) He is about to go into surgery.
(c) He is on IVs.
(d) It will make him vomit.
15. Why does he tell her he does not want to talk about himself?
(a) He is embarrassed to be the center of attention.
(b) If he did she would only hate him.
(c) He wants to first know about her.
(d) He is shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he begin to tell the stranger?
2. What happens when his pleas for mercy go unheard?
3. Of what does he tell her that he will dream?
4. What happens after he asks the doctor to show her in?
5. Into what does he see his grandmother crammed?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)