|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens between Kathleen and the protagonist?
(a) Love at first sight.
(b) An instant recognition.
(c) A misunderstanding.
(d) An argument.
2. Who has Kathleen left standing at the box office?
(b) Her original date.
(d) The protagonist.
3. What should one not look at too long?
(a) The dark.
(b) The sea.
(c) Their friends.
(d) Their souls.
4. The main character is _______________ whose own experiences during the holocaust have left him, like many others, with a strong sense of despair and self-loathing.
(a) A teacher.
(b) A scientist.
(c) An engineer.
(d) A journalist.
5. When does the protagonist realize it is not his grandmother waiting for him?
(a) When the stranger walks in the room.
(b) When the doctor mentions Kathleen by name.
(c) When he hears Kathleen's voice.
(d) When he remembers his grandmother is dead.
6. Why does Halina do this?
(a) To introduce Kathleen to the protagonist.
(b) She does not want to bother Kathleen on her date.
(c) She does not like Kathleen.
(d) She wants to say hello to Kathleen.
7. What does Shimon convince the protagonist to do?
(a) Date Halina.
(b) Go home.
(c) Accompany him.
(d) Go in his stead.
8. How does the man in the concentration camp try to justify his actions?
(a) He likes meat.
(b) Says that the person he ate was already dead.
(c) He will share.
(d) There was nothing else to eat.
9. What is this woman doing?
(a) Sitting on a bench.
(b) Waiting in line to see a movie.
(c) Talking on a pay phone.
(d) Kathleen is on a date.
10. What is Kathleen determined to see?
(a) The city skyline.
(b) Her family.
(c) The protagonist eat a meal.
(d) The Brothers Karamazov.
11. What does the protagonist do when Kathleen attempts to start a conversation?
(a) He joins in the conversation.
(b) He stops her.
(c) He listens to her.
(d) He cuts her off.
12. Why does the protagonist have to go to another hospital?
(a) The first one believes he cannot be saved.
(b) His insurance is not accepted by the first hospital.
(c) He does not like the first hospital.
(d) The first hospital's staff tells him they have no room.
13. What does he want to do?
(a) Go to nicer restaurant.
(b) See a mystery.
(c) Go home.
(d) See the city skyline.
14. Who holds the protagonist and sobs in his memory?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His friend.
(d) His mother.
15. What happens moments later?
(a) The protagonist is hit by a cab.
(b) The protagonist invites Kathleen to dinner.
(c) The protagonist and Kathleen say goodbye to each other.
(d) The protagonist and Kathleen are walking along the Seine together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halina do?
2. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
3. After he awakens, to what does he find himself attached?
4. With what does he grapple?
5. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)