|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the protagonist make an excuse to leave?
(a) He is not interested in Kathleen.
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) He does not like Halina.
(d) He is anxious to escape conversation.
2. With whom is the protagonist?
(a) His friend, Shimon Yanai.
(b) His father.
(c) His girlfriend, Kathleen.
(d) His mother.
3. What does Halina do?
(a) Taps Kathleen on the shoulder.
(b) Ignores Kathleen.
(c) Turns to walk the other way.
(d) Calls Kathleen over.
4. What is the nurse's response?
(a) She will give him a shot against his dreams.
(b) That is very sweet.
(c) His grandmother will help him heal.
(d) He is very sweet to think of her.
5. Where does his mind wander?
(a) To a conversation with his grandmother when he is a young boy.
(b) To his friends.
(c) To Kathleen's former date.
(d) To the first time he met Kathleen.
6. He notices the passersby, and what does he remark to himself?
(a) How haggard everybody looks.
(b) How he wishes he could be so content.
(c) How beautiful they are.
(d) Where they are all headed.
7. What has happened to this person at the box office?
(a) He is surprised and happy to see Kathleen and the protagonist together.
(b) He has been quickly and casually dismissed.
(c) She is excited for the protagonist.
(d) He is going to see a movie.
8. What happens moments later?
(a) The protagonist is hit by a cab.
(b) The protagonist and Kathleen are walking along the Seine together.
(c) The protagonist and Kathleen say goodbye to each other.
(d) The protagonist invites Kathleen to dinner.
9. How does this section begin?
(a) On a cool fall Chicago night.
(b) On a cold and snowy day in London.
(c) On a warm, still night in New York.
(d) On a cold and windy Paris night.
10. Why does he tell her he does not want to talk about himself?
(a) He wants to first know about her.
(b) He is embarrassed to be the center of attention.
(c) If he did she would only hate him.
(d) He is shy.
11. Why does she ask him to tell her about himself?
(a) She does not want to talk.
(b) She wants to find out what is wrong with him.
(c) She likes to hear his voice.
(d) She wants to know him.
12. What is he unable to explain to his father about the stolen money?
(a) He feels guilt because his own parents are alive.
(b) He likes to steal money.
(c) He is desperately in need of money.
(d) He feels guilty telling his father he stole it for him.
13. What does the stranger standing next to him in the dark do?
(a) Ask him to dance.
(b) Push him in the water.
(c) Starts a conversation.
(d) Push him on the swing.
14. What does he want to do?
(a) Jump in and drown.
(b) Play on the swingset.
(c) Dance like the others.
(d) Be the character in the book.
15. What do the two of them do without talking?
(a) Stare at each other.
(b) Walk for some time.
(c) Sit on a bench.
(d) Watch a movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimon convince the protagonist to do?
2. Leaving the meal uneaten, what do the protagonist and Kathleen discuss?
3. What is before them?
4. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
5. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)