|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is the protagonist?
(a) His mother.
(b) His girlfriend, Kathleen.
(c) His father.
(d) His friend, Shimon Yanai.
2. What is the nurse's response?
(a) She will give him a shot against his dreams.
(b) That is very sweet.
(c) He is very sweet to think of her.
(d) His grandmother will help him heal.
3. How does the stranger surprise him?
(a) "You are the saddest person I have ever known."
(b) "You must know this. I think I am going to hate you."
(c) "You are a saint."
(d) "You are the best man I have ever met."
4. How are strangers like stars?
(a) There are many of them.
(b) The are famous.
(c) They will guide you.
(d) They are not committed to you.
5. Why does he tell her he does not want to talk about himself?
(a) He is embarrassed to be the center of attention.
(b) He is shy.
(c) If he did she would only hate him.
(d) He wants to first know about her.
6. What does the stranger never do?
(a) Stop the protagonist or ask for clarification.
(c) Stop talking.
(d) Listen to his story.
7. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
(a) Sends him to his room.
(b) Storms out of the room.
(c) Hugs him.
(d) Hits him.
8. Who has Kathleen left standing at the box office?
(a) The protagonist.
(b) Her original date.
9. What happens when she is also crying out for water?
(a) He gives her water.
(b) She must go searching for water.
(c) She will vomit if she has water.
(d) Nobody is there to quench her thirst.
10. What is before them?
(a) Central Park.
(b) The hamburgers.
(c) Two cups.
(d) The movie screen.
11. With what does he grapple?
(a) His desire to end the war he has just begun.
(b) His urge to end his life while simultaneously recovering from a near-death experience.
(c) His desire to tell the police not to come.
(d) His urge to turn off the alarm, yet keep it ringing.
12. What does he want to do?
(a) Play on the swingset.
(b) Be the character in the book.
(c) Dance like the others.
(d) Jump in and drown.
13. By what is he troubled?
(a) This first date with Kathleen.
(b) The concept of death.
(c) Kathleen's ability to forget her first date.
(d) Ditching his friends.
14. After he awakens, to what does he find himself attached?
(b) A bed.
(c) A monitor.
(d) Several needles.
15. What happens when his pleas for mercy go unheard?
(a) The boy tells him to run for his life.
(b) The man is escorted out of the prison camp.
(c) He is shot by the Nazis.
(d) The young boy finds the same man hanging from the rafters of the barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes him to think about his grandmother in this way?
2. Why does he believe his grandmother is waiting outside?
3. What happens moments later?
4. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
5. What does the stranger standing next to him in the dark do?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)