|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the protagonist remember about his first evening with Kathleen?
(a) They are seated in a movie theatre.
(b) They are walking through New York City.
(c) They are eating hamburgers.
(d) They are seated in her home in Paris.
2. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
(d) The protagonist.
3. What should one not look at too long?
(a) Their souls.
(b) The dark.
(c) The sea.
(d) Their friends.
4. What is this woman doing?
(a) Kathleen is on a date.
(b) Talking on a pay phone.
(c) Sitting on a bench.
(d) Waiting in line to see a movie.
5. What does the protagonist tell the stranger?
(a) His life in recent years.
(b) A little bit about his life.
(d) Everything about his childhood, his grandmother, his teacher, and his dreams.
6. Into what does he see his grandmother crammed?
(a) A closet.
(b) A grave.
(c) A too-tight space with too many other bodies.
(d) A coffin.
7. What is causing this insatiable thirst?
(a) His memory of his grandmother.
(b) He has not had water in over twenty-four hours.
(c) An intense fever due to an infection.
(d) The medication in the IVs.
8. Why does Kathleen convince him to do this?
(a) He needs to sleep.
(b) He looks tired.
(c) He needs a break from reality.
(d) He admits to having eaten nothing all day.
9. How are strangers like stars?
(a) The are famous.
(b) There are many of them.
(c) They will guide you.
(d) They are not committed to you.
10. What has happened to this person at the box office?
(a) She is excited for the protagonist.
(b) He is surprised and happy to see Kathleen and the protagonist together.
(c) He has been quickly and casually dismissed.
(d) He is going to see a movie.
11. By what is he troubled?
(a) This first date with Kathleen.
(b) The concept of death.
(c) Kathleen's ability to forget her first date.
(d) Ditching his friends.
12. What does the nurse promise?
(a) He will feel no pain.
(b) He will not live through the night.
(c) He will sleep and not be thirsty.
(d) His memories will be gone soon.
13. What does the nurse give the patient?
(a) Two injections.
(d) A hug.
14. How does this section begin?
(a) On a cold and windy Paris night.
(b) On a cool fall Chicago night.
(c) On a cold and snowy day in London.
(d) On a warm, still night in New York.
15. What is the protagonist standing alone doing?
(a) Looking out into the backyard.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Watching the others dance.
(d) Staring at the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does the protagonist awaken?
2. What happens while the protagonist is standing at an intersection?
3. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
4. What does he want to do?
5. What does Halina do?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)