|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the protagonist's silent reverie broken?
(a) When the story in his mind ends.
(b) When a loud noise is heard.
(c) Kathleen tells him she is getting cold.
(d) When Kathleen kisses him.
2. What does the stranger never do?
(a) Stop the protagonist or ask for clarification.
(b) Listen to his story.
(d) Stop talking.
3. Of what does he tell her that he will dream?
(b) His grandmother.
4. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
(a) Wanting new friends.
(b) Becoming bored.
(c) Withdrawing from life.
(d) Moving from city to city.
5. What horrifies the boy?
(a) The thought that God has already died.
(b) The thought of God being immortal.
(c) The thought of God being buried alive.
(d) The thought of God's Son dying for us.
6. He notices the passersby, and what does he remark to himself?
(a) How haggard everybody looks.
(b) How he wishes he could be so content.
(c) How beautiful they are.
(d) Where they are all headed.
7. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
(a) Kathleen does not seem to recognize him.
(b) He has only met her once before.
(c) They have not seen each other in over twenty years.
(d) He and Kathleen have never met.
8. Why does he feel this way when he eats the hamburger?
(a) It is so delicious.
(b) It reminds him of his childhood.
(c) He is so hungry.
(d) It reminds him of a much earlier time.
9. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
(a) Hits him.
(b) Storms out of the room.
(c) Hugs him.
(d) Sends him to his room.
10. What does he begin to tell the stranger?
(a) He does not want to dance.
(b) He does not want to talk.
(c) The story of his life.
(d) He wants to jump in the water.
11. What is this person waiting to do?
(a) Leave the protagonist.
(b) Give the protagonist more medication.
(c) Talk to the doctor.
(d) See the protagonist.
12. Why does he believe his grandmother is waiting outside?
(a) The doctor tells him his grandmother is outside.
(b) He thinks he hears her voice.
(c) He can see her in the doorway.
(d) He is trapped between the past and the present.
13. To whom does he run?
(a) His mother.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His grandmother.
14. Why can he not have a drink?
(a) He is on IVs.
(b) He is about to go into surgery.
(c) It will make him vomit.
(d) There is no water available.
15. What is THE ACCIDENT?
(a) The story of a Holocaust survivor struggling to adjust to life after World War II.
(b) The story of a businessman and his corrupt business deal.
(c) The story of a war that took place due to a communication error.
(d) The story of a famous train wreck in the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger standing next to him in the dark do?
2. How does the stranger surprise him?
3. Why does the protagonist steal some money?
4. From what does the protagonist awaken?
5. What is he unable to explain to his father about the stolen money?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)