|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does he run?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His mother.
(d) His teacher.
2. How does the man in the concentration camp try to justify his actions?
(a) There was nothing else to eat.
(b) He will share.
(c) He likes meat.
(d) Says that the person he ate was already dead.
3. What does Shimon convince the protagonist to do?
(a) Accompany him.
(b) Go in his stead.
(c) Go home.
(d) Date Halina.
4. What is he unable to explain to his father about the stolen money?
(a) He is desperately in need of money.
(b) He feels guilty telling his father he stole it for him.
(c) He likes to steal money.
(d) He feels guilt because his own parents are alive.
5. What has this accident set off?
(a) The police.
(b) A series of memories.
(c) A war.
(d) An alarm.
6. What is this woman doing?
(a) Waiting in line to see a movie.
(b) Talking on a pay phone.
(c) Sitting on a bench.
(d) Kathleen is on a date.
7. Why does the protagonist steal some money?
(a) To give to a small orphan boy.
(b) He wants to give money to his father.
(c) He is greedy.
(d) He needs to pay his bills.
8. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
(a) Kathleen does not seem to recognize him.
(b) He has only met her once before.
(c) They have not seen each other in over twenty years.
(d) He and Kathleen have never met.
9. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
(a) A cure for cancer.
(b) His family.
(c) A place to call home.
(d) Any satisfaction in life.
10. What does the nurse promise?
(a) He will feel no pain.
(b) He will sleep and not be thirsty.
(c) He will not live through the night.
(d) His memories will be gone soon.
11. With what does he grapple?
(a) His urge to end his life while simultaneously recovering from a near-death experience.
(b) His desire to end the war he has just begun.
(c) His urge to turn off the alarm, yet keep it ringing.
(d) His desire to tell the police not to come.
12. What experience does the stranger relate to him?
(a) When he first learned to dance.
(b) When he jumped into the water.
(c) When he found himself staring at the sea.
(d) When he had his bar mitzvah.
13. What does he want to do?
(a) Be the character in the book.
(b) Jump in and drown.
(c) Dance like the others.
(d) Play on the swingset.
14. What is the original French title of the book?
(a) "Le Jour (Day)."
(b) "La Nuit (Night)."
(c) "Le Soir (Evening)."
(d) "L'Accident (Accident)."
15. What happens while the protagonist is standing at an intersection?
(a) He is shot in a drive-by shooting.
(b) He jumps in front of a cab.
(c) He hails a cab.
(d) A cab plows into him and drags him several feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kathleen determined to see?
2. Why does she ask him to tell her about himself?
3. What does the grandmother say when the young boy asks when God dies?
4. What does the protagonist vow?
5. What does Halina do?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)