|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kathleen convince him to do this?
(a) He admits to having eaten nothing all day.
(b) He looks tired.
(c) He needs a break from reality.
(d) He needs to sleep.
2. Why does he believe his grandmother is waiting outside?
(a) He is trapped between the past and the present.
(b) He thinks he hears her voice.
(c) He can see her in the doorway.
(d) The doctor tells him his grandmother is outside.
3. What does the grandmother say when the young boy asks when God dies?
(a) God dies in all of us.
(b) God has already died.
(c) God will send his Son to die for us.
(d) God does not die.
4. How are strangers like stars?
(a) There are many of them.
(b) The are famous.
(c) They are not committed to you.
(d) They will guide you.
5. What happens while the protagonist is standing at an intersection?
(a) A cab plows into him and drags him several feet.
(b) He jumps in front of a cab.
(c) He hails a cab.
(d) He is shot in a drive-by shooting.
6. What is the nurse's response?
(a) She will give him a shot against his dreams.
(b) His grandmother will help him heal.
(c) He is very sweet to think of her.
(d) That is very sweet.
7. The title of the novel refers to what type of accident?
8. Into what does he see his grandmother crammed?
(a) A closet.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A too-tight space with too many other bodies.
(d) A grave.
9. What is the protagonist standing alone doing?
(a) Looking out into the backyard.
(b) Watching the others dance.
(c) Staring at the sea.
(d) Reading a book.
10. When does the protagonist realize it is not his grandmother waiting for him?
(a) When the stranger walks in the room.
(b) When he hears Kathleen's voice.
(c) When the doctor mentions Kathleen by name.
(d) When he remembers his grandmother is dead.
11. What is he unable to explain to his father about the stolen money?
(a) He feels guilt because his own parents are alive.
(b) He likes to steal money.
(c) He is desperately in need of money.
(d) He feels guilty telling his father he stole it for him.
12. What is this woman doing?
(a) Kathleen is on a date.
(b) Sitting on a bench.
(c) Talking on a pay phone.
(d) Waiting in line to see a movie.
13. What does the stranger recall?
(a) How the sea called to him to end it all by jumping in.
(b) How nervous he was to dance.
(c) How memorable his mar mitzvah was.
(d) How he wanted to feel the cold water on his body.
14. What experience does the stranger relate to him?
(a) When he had his bar mitzvah.
(b) When he jumped into the water.
(c) When he first learned to dance.
(d) When he found himself staring at the sea.
15. Why does Halina do this?
(a) She does not like Kathleen.
(b) She wants to say hello to Kathleen.
(c) To introduce Kathleen to the protagonist.
(d) She does not want to bother Kathleen on her date.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he want to do?
2. Who does Shimon see, with whom he is already acquainted?
3. He notices the passersby, and what does he remark to himself?
4. What does the stranger never do?
5. What does Halina do?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)