Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halina do?
(a) Taps Kathleen on the shoulder.
(b) Turns to walk the other way.
(c) Calls Kathleen over.
(d) Ignores Kathleen.
2. From what does the protagonist awaken?
(b) A deep sleep.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A nap.
3. What does the main character think is impossible to find?
(a) Any satisfaction in life.
(b) A cure for cancer.
(c) A place to call home.
(d) His family.
4. When he says nothing, what does his father do?
(a) Hits him.
(b) Storms out of the room.
(c) Hugs him.
(d) Sends him to his room.
5. What is happening in his memory of the concentration camp?
(a) The Nazis are taunting him with food.
(b) A man gives him his dinner.
(c) The Nazis are eating a delicious steak dinner.
(d) A man is eating a large chunk of raw meat.
6. Why does Halina do this?
(a) To introduce Kathleen to the protagonist.
(b) She wants to say hello to Kathleen.
(c) She does not like Kathleen.
(d) She does not want to bother Kathleen on her date.
7. What memory does this trigger?
(a) A school day many years before.
(b) A voyage he took to South America after the war.
(c) A day spent with his grandmother.
(d) His bar mitzvah.
8. What is causing this insatiable thirst?
(a) His memory of his grandmother.
(b) The medication in the IVs.
(c) He has not had water in over twenty-four hours.
(d) An intense fever due to an infection.
9. What does the man not look up to see?
(a) The young boy eating a hamburger.
(b) The others in the barracks also wanting food.
(c) The young boy in front of him.
(d) The Germans watching him.
10. The title of the novel refers to what type of accident?
11. How does the man in the concentration camp try to justify his actions?
(a) There was nothing else to eat.
(b) Says that the person he ate was already dead.
(c) He will share.
(d) He likes meat.
12. What happens between Kathleen and the protagonist?
(a) An argument.
(b) Love at first sight.
(c) An instant recognition.
(d) A misunderstanding.
13. Into what does he see his grandmother crammed?
(a) A coffin.
(b) A too-tight space with too many other bodies.
(c) A closet.
(d) A grave.
14. What is this woman doing?
(a) Waiting in line to see a movie.
(b) Sitting on a bench.
(c) Kathleen is on a date.
(d) Talking on a pay phone.
15. What is odd about the protagonist's comment about already knowing Kathleen?
(a) Kathleen does not seem to recognize him.
(b) They have not seen each other in over twenty years.
(c) He and Kathleen have never met.
(d) He has only met her once before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he want to do?
2. What is he unable to explain to his father about the stolen money?
3. Despite the efforts of his girlfriend and others, what does the main character find himself doing?
4. Why does she ask him to tell her about himself?
5. What does his grandma tell him the presence of God will do?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)