|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first section of the novel, where is the protagonist with his girlfriend, Kathleen?
(b) New York City.
2. Why does he tell her he does not want to talk about himself?
(a) He is shy.
(b) If he did she would only hate him.
(c) He wants to first know about her.
(d) He is embarrassed to be the center of attention.
3. Despite what does the stranger stay with him?
(a) The darkness.
(b) The cold weather.
(c) The protagonist's ill humor and his obvious desire to be alone.
(d) The protagonist's complaint that he can not dance.
4. Why can he not have a drink?
(a) It will make him vomit.
(b) He is on IVs.
(c) He is about to go into surgery.
(d) There is no water available.
5. What does Halina do?
(a) Taps Kathleen on the shoulder.
(b) Turns to walk the other way.
(c) Calls Kathleen over.
(d) Ignores Kathleen.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main character is _______________ whose own experiences during the holocaust have left him, like many others, with a strong sense of despair and self-loathing.
2. What happens when she is also crying out for water?
3. What is the nurse's response?
4. What does he begin to tell the stranger?
5. When does the protagonist realize it is not his grandmother waiting for him?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)