|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is telling the Sutpen story in Chapter 7?
2. How old is Rosa at the time of Bon's death?
3. How do Shreve and Quentin believe that the French planter disguised his daughter's African blood?
4. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
5. What is the setting of Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways can the novel be interpreted as Quentin's story rather than Thomas Sutpen's story? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Faulkner uses characters' clothing to characterize them throughout the novel. Pick a specific character and comment on the evolution of that character's dress throughout the novel and what that evolution means about that character.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one female character in the novel and describe her role in the text, how she is characterized, and what that role and characterization reveal about the novel's attitude toward women.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)