|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Quentin and Shreve believe Henry and Thomas Sutpen last saw each other?
2. What reason does Rosa give for staying at Sutpen's estate after Bon's death?
3. Why does Sutpen reject his last (youngest) child?
4. When Thomas Sutpen goes to the front door of the plantation house when he is a boy, what happens?
5. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Faulkner uses characters' clothing to characterize them throughout the novel. Pick a specific character and comment on the evolution of that character's dress throughout the novel and what that evolution means about that character.
Essay Topic 2
Jason Compson is one of the primary tellers of the Sutpen story. What is Jason Compson's role in this novel, in reader interpretation of the novel, and in Quentin's attitudes about the South?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Clytie chose to stay at Sutpen's Hundred her entire life, and why she remained loyalty to her family until the end. Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)