|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is discussing the Sutpen story in Chapter 6?
2. Who is the primary subject of discussion in Chapter 8?
3. Where do Quentin and Shreve believe Henry and Thomas Sutpen last saw each other?
4. How does Quentin know about Thomas Sutpen's childhood?
5. Why does Shreve believe Charles changed the pictures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are children in this novel punished for what their parents have done? Is this punishment intended to be a larger commentary? If so, of what? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Point to cases of irony in the novel. What is the role of irony in the novel? How does the irony in the novel contribute to our understanding of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Sutpen's house burns to the ground, eliminating the last vestiges of his former wealth. Compare the physical decline of the Sutpen estate to the decline of the Sutpen family.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)