|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sutpen reject his last (youngest) child?
2. Who conducts Sutpen's funeral service?
3. At the end of Chapter 5, who is imagining the scene that occurred when Henry told Judith of the murder?
4. Who is the letter in Chapter 6 from?
5. When Thomas Sutpen goes to the front door of the plantation house when he is a boy, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Point to cases of irony in the novel. What is the role of irony in the novel? How does the irony in the novel contribute to our understanding of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways can the novel be interpreted as Quentin's story rather than Thomas Sutpen's story? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Faulkner uses characters' clothing to characterize them throughout the novel. Pick a specific character and comment on the evolution of that character's dress throughout the novel and what that evolution means about that character.
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)