|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sutpen leave his first wife?
2. What organization is Sutpen asked to join, but which he declines to be a part of?
3. What is the setting of Chapter 6?
4. Where do Quentin and Shreve believe Henry and Thomas Sutpen last saw each other?
5. Who is discussing the Sutpen story in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jason Compson is one of the primary tellers of the Sutpen story. What is Jason Compson's role in this novel, in reader interpretation of the novel, and in Quentin's attitudes about the South?
Essay Topic 2
Point to cases of irony in the novel. What is the role of irony in the novel? How does the irony in the novel contribute to our understanding of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways can _Absalom, Absalom!_ be considered a revenge story? Please provide specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)