|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sutpen's occupation between the time he leaves his family and the time he arrives in Jefferson?
2. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Charles Bon was waiting for when he anticipated the mail that would come to the university from Sutpen's Hundred?
3. What is Judith holding in her hand the first time Rosa sees her after the murder?
4. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe managed Sutpen's first wife's money?
5. What type of injury does General Compson incur in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Point to cases of irony in the novel. What is the role of irony in the novel? How does the irony in the novel contribute to our understanding of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different narrative techniques used in the novel and what their effects are on reader interpretation. How much of the novel is factual and how much is speculation?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Sutpen's house burns to the ground, eliminating the last vestiges of his former wealth. Compare the physical decline of the Sutpen estate to the decline of the Sutpen family.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)