|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
2. Who kills Charles Bon?
3. Where do Sutpen's slaves go when the war began?
4. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
5. Where does Rosa meet Charles Bon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sutpen want to marry Rosa?
2. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
3. Why did Sutpen want to have a big wedding, even though he knew it wasn't a good idea?
4. What reasons does Jason Compson give for Rosa hating her father?
5. How did Judith's fiance die?
6. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
7. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
8. Characterize Thomas Sutpen as he is portrayed by Rosa Coldfield's description in Chapter 1.
9. Why didn't Rosa defy her father and attempt to reinstate the store so she could survive financially?
10. How did Charles Bon actually find out about his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways can the novel be interpreted as Quentin's story rather than Thomas Sutpen's story? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Quentin changes over the course of the novel and explain how and why. Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Thomas Sutpen could be interpreted as a sympathetic character. Who in the novel views Supten sympathetically? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)