|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
2. Why does Thomas Sutpen stop attending church?
3. What is Bon's rank in the army?
4. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
5. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles Bon actually find out about his father?
2. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
3. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
4. What does Chapter 6 imply about the reason why Judith took Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon in after he was orphaned?
5. Why did Wash Jones kill Sutpen?
6. Why does Rosa stop accepting visits from Judith and Ellen?
7. In the final imagined scene of Chapter 8, Shreve and Quentin imagine what took place after Sutpen departed from the military camp, having just told Quentin about the true origin of Charles Bon. Henry tells Bon what Sutpen has told him. What does Charles tell Henry to do?
8. Why does Jason Compson, who is telling much of the story presented in Chapter 2, know so much about Sutpen?
9. What was Rosa Coldfield's childhood relationship with Thomas Sutpen and his family?
10. At the end of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is "something in that house," referring to Sutpen's Hundred. Quentin responds, "In that house? It's Clytie..." What can the reader infer from this exchange?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways can the novel be interpreted as Quentin's story rather than Thomas Sutpen's story? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways can _Absalom, Absalom!_ be considered a revenge story? Please provide specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The novel closes with Quentin insisting that he does not hate the South. Does he? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)