|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
2. Who does Henry bring home from college for Christmas one year?
3. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
4. What is the relationship between Ellen Sutpen and Rosa Coldfield?
5. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what is meant by the fact that Quentin and Shreve feel as though there are four people in their dorm room?
2. Why is Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon such a violent and troubled young man?
3. Why did Sutpen reject his first wife?
4. What does Chapter 6 imply about the reason why Judith took Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon in after he was orphaned?
5. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
6. The story of Sutpen's youth as a poor white on a plantation describes considerable hostility from poor whites directed at black slaves. What was the cause of this hostility?
7. What is Shreve's final question to Quentin?
8. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
9. How did Judith's fiance die?
10. Why are there several different versions of how Charles Bon came to find out about his father in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist of _Absalom, Absalom_? Who is the antagonist? Give reasons from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Faulkner uses characters' clothing to characterize them throughout the novel. Pick a specific character and comment on the evolution of that character's dress throughout the novel and what that evolution means about that character.
Essay Topic 3
When Sutpen's final child is born, he refers to her as a "mare." How can this comparison between horses and women apply to the way all of the women in the novel are treated and viewed?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)