|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
2. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
3. Who first discovers the truth about Charles Bon's past?
4. What does Jason Compson believe Henry found to be objectionable about Charles' past?
5. What does Mr. Coldfield do during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Characterize Thomas Sutpen as he is portrayed by Rosa Coldfield's description in Chapter 1.
2. Why does Jason Compson, who is telling much of the story presented in Chapter 2, know so much about Sutpen?
3. What reason did Sutpen give for not joining the Klan?
4. In Chapter 3, how does the breakout of the war affect the main characters of the story?
5. Why was Rosa offended that Wash Jones came to the front of the house when he arrived to notify her of Charles Bon's death?
6. How did Charles Bon actually find out about his father?
7. In the final imagined scene of Chapter 8, Shreve and Quentin imagine what took place after Sutpen departed from the military camp, having just told Quentin about the true origin of Charles Bon. Henry tells Bon what Sutpen has told him. What does Charles tell Henry to do?
8. Why does Rosa stop accepting visits from Judith and Ellen?
9. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
10. In Chapter 4, Jason Compson says that "...it must have been Henry who seduced Judith, not Bon..." What does this mean?
Essay Topic 1
The novel closes with Quentin insisting that he does not hate the South. Does he? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different narrative techniques used in the novel and what their effects are on reader interpretation. How much of the novel is factual and how much is speculation?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Clytie chose to stay at Sutpen's Hundred her entire life, and why she remained loyalty to her family until the end. Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)