|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
2. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
3. Where does Rosa meet Charles Bon?
4. What is the weather like the night of Sutpen's wedding?
5. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the townspeople show up at the wedding to throw dirt and vegetables? Is it something more than the fact that they don't like Sutpen?
2. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
3. Why does Judith give the letter from Charles Bon away?
4. In Chapter 4, Jason Compson says that "...it must have been Henry who seduced Judith, not Bon..." What does this mean?
5. Why does Rosa stop accepting visits from Judith and Ellen?
6. Why is Rosa Coldfield telling her story to Quentin Compson?
7. When did Sutpen tell General Compson about why he abandoned his first wife?
8. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
9. How is Judith portrayed in Chapter 1?
10. At the end of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is "something in that house," referring to Sutpen's Hundred. Quentin responds, "In that house? It's Clytie..." What can the reader infer from this exchange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships between Charles and Henry, Henry and Judith, and Charles and Judith.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Faulkner uses characters' clothing to characterize them throughout the novel. Pick a specific character and comment on the evolution of that character's dress throughout the novel and what that evolution means about that character.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are children in this novel punished for what their parents have done? Is this punishment intended to be a larger commentary? If so, of what? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)