|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
2. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
3. Where is Quentin while he's listening to the story about Thomas Sutpen?
4. Who helps Thomas Sutpen when he comes to Jefferson in 1833?
5. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
Short Essay Questions
1. When General Compson rescues Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon from an indictment, he gives Bon money and tells him to leave town. He tells him that "once you are among strangers, people who don't know you, you can be whatever you will." What does he mean when he says that Bon "can be whatever" he wants?
2. What is Shreve's final question to Quentin?
3. What does Jason Compson identify as Henry's objection to Bon marrying Judith?
4. How did Judith's fiance die?
5. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
6. What does Chapter 6 imply about the reason why Judith took Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon in after he was orphaned?
7. What reasons does Jason Compson give for Rosa hating her father?
8. Why are there several different versions of how Charles Bon came to find out about his father in Chapter 8?
9. How is Judith portrayed in Chapter 1?
10. In the final imagined scene of Chapter 8, Shreve and Quentin imagine what took place after Sutpen departed from the military camp, having just told Quentin about the true origin of Charles Bon. Henry tells Bon what Sutpen has told him. What does Charles tell Henry to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one female character in the novel and describe her role in the text, how she is characterized, and what that role and characterization reveal about the novel's attitude toward women.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Thomas Sutpen could be interpreted as a sympathetic character. Who in the novel views Supten sympathetically? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
When Sutpen's final child is born, he refers to her as a "mare." How can this comparison between horses and women apply to the way all of the women in the novel are treated and viewed?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)