|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose regiment does Thomas Sutpen join?
2. Where does Supten live for the first few months of his residence in Jefferson?
3. What does Jason Compson believe Henry found to be objectionable about Charles' past?
4. Where is Ellen Sutpen at the time of Rosa's story?
5. What is the relationship between Rosa Coldfield and Judith Sutpen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were all the charges against Sutpen dropped after his bond was signed by Mr. Coldfield and General Compson?
2. Why is Rosa Coldfield telling her story to Quentin Compson?
3. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
4. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
5. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
6. Characterize the change in public opinion about Sutpen that occurs in the first few years of his residence in Jefferson, and explain why that change occurs.
7. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
8. Why are there several different versions of how Charles Bon came to find out about his father in Chapter 8?
9. Why was Rosa offended that Wash Jones came to the front of the house when he arrived to notify her of Charles Bon's death?
10. Why does Rosa stop accepting visits from Judith and Ellen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Sutpen's house burns to the ground, eliminating the last vestiges of his former wealth. Compare the physical decline of the Sutpen estate to the decline of the Sutpen family.
Essay Topic 2
The novel closes with Quentin insisting that he does not hate the South. Does he? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Does the novel put forth a commentary about fate? If so, what is it? Please provide specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)