Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sutpen's house is built but still unfurnished, what does Sutpen invite Jeffersonians out to Sutpen's Hundred to do?
2. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
3. In what state is Jefferson located?
4. To whom is Judith engaged?
5. Why does Thomas Sutpen stop attending church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
2. What is Quentin's answer to Shreve's final question of the novel?
3. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
4. In Chapter 4, Jason Compson says that "...it must have been Henry who seduced Judith, not Bon..." What does this mean?
5. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
6. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
7. Why didn't Bon view his first marriage as a barrier to marrying Judith?
8. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
9. Why are there several different versions of how Charles Bon came to find out about his father in Chapter 8?
10. Why did Sutpen want to marry Rosa?
Examine how Quentin changes over the course of the novel and explain how and why. Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
In what ways can the novel be interpreted as Quentin's story rather than Thomas Sutpen's story? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel.
How can the fall of the Sutpen family be compared to the fall of the South? What is the relationship between the two declines?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)