|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
2. Where does Rosa meet Charles Bon?
3. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
4. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
5. Who builds Sutpen's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. When General Compson rescues Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon from an indictment, he gives Bon money and tells him to leave town. He tells him that "once you are among strangers, people who don't know you, you can be whatever you will." What does he mean when he says that Bon "can be whatever" he wants?
2. The story of Sutpen's youth as a poor white on a plantation describes considerable hostility from poor whites directed at black slaves. What was the cause of this hostility?
3. Characterize the change in public opinion about Sutpen that occurs in the first few years of his residence in Jefferson, and explain why that change occurs.
4. Why did Wash Jones kill Sutpen?
5. Why didn't Sutpen like sugar?
6. What was Rosa Coldfield's childhood relationship with Thomas Sutpen and his family?
7. In the final imagined scene of Chapter 8, Shreve and Quentin imagine what took place after Sutpen departed from the military camp, having just told Quentin about the true origin of Charles Bon. Henry tells Bon what Sutpen has told him. What does Charles tell Henry to do?
8. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." What does she mean that they have "paid it out?"
9. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
10. Why do the townspeople show up at the wedding to throw dirt and vegetables? Is it something more than the fact that they don't like Sutpen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Clytie chose to stay at Sutpen's Hundred her entire life, and why she remained loyalty to her family until the end. Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the protagonist of _Absalom, Absalom_? Who is the antagonist? Give reasons from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
How can the fall of the Sutpen family be compared to the fall of the South? What is the relationship between the two declines?
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)