|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry Sutpen attend college?
2. What does Mr. Coldfield do during the war?
3. Where do Sutpen's slaves go when the war began?
4. Who kills Charles Bon?
5. Which of the following is the name of one of Sutpen's non-slave employees?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." What does she mean that they have "paid it out?"
2. Why did Wash Jones kill Sutpen?
3. What does Rosa mean when she says that Sutpen "wasn't a gentleman"?
4. What reasons does Jason Compson give for Rosa hating her father?
5. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
6. Several times throughout Chapter 4, Jason Compson mentions that Henry put Bon on "probation" for four years. What was the point of this probation?
7. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
8. In Chapter 8, the reader receives a glimpse of the action that unfolded the night that Rosa and Quentin went to Sutpen's Hundred. How are these events similar to another situation that occurred at Sutpen's Hundred?
9. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
10. Chapter 6 reveals the way in which Thomas Sutpen insulted Rosa, an insult that led to Rosa calling off their engagement. How did Sutpen insult her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1In what ways can the novel be interpreted as Quentin's story rather than Thomas Sutpen's story? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2Pick one female character in the novel and describe her role in the text, how she is characterized, and what that role and characterization reveal about the novel's attitude toward women.
Essay Topic 3The novel closes with Quentin insisting that he does not hate the South. Does he? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)