|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
2. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
3. Where is Sutpen's architect from?
4. What is the name of the woman who tells Quentin the story of Thomas Sutpen?
5. What are the names of Sutpen's two daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Sutpen chooses Ellen Coldfield to be his bride over all the other women in Jefferson.
2. In Chapter 3, how does the breakout of the war affect the main characters of the story?
3. What reason did Sutpen give for not joining the Klan?
4. What reasons does Jason Compson give for Rosa hating her father?
5. Why didn't Sutpen like sugar?
6. In Chapter 8, what is meant by the fact that Quentin and Shreve feel as though there are four people in their dorm room?
7. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
8. When did Sutpen tell General Compson about why he abandoned his first wife?
9. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
10. At the end of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is "something in that house," referring to Sutpen's Hundred. Quentin responds, "In that house? It's Clytie..." What can the reader infer from this exchange?
Essay Topic 1
Pick one female character in the novel and describe her role in the text, how she is characterized, and what that role and characterization reveal about the novel's attitude toward women.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways can _Absalom, Absalom!_ be considered a revenge story? Please provide specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of blood in this novel, in terms of heritage? How does blood dictate what the characters can and cannot do and can and cannot be?
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)