|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What photograph does Charles Bon have on his person when he dies?
2. How is Charles Bon killed?
3. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
4. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
5. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jason Compson, who is telling much of the story presented in Chapter 2, know so much about Sutpen?
2. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
3. Why did Sutpen reject his first wife?
4. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
5. Why is Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon such a violent and troubled young man?
6. Why did Sutpen want to have a big wedding, even though he knew it wasn't a good idea?
7. In Chapter 3, how does the breakout of the war affect the main characters of the story?
8. Why didn't Rosa defy her father and attempt to reinstate the store so she could survive financially?
9. Why did Thomas Sutpen marry Ellen Coldfield?
10. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are children in this novel punished for what their parents have done? Is this punishment intended to be a larger commentary? If so, of what? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways can _Absalom, Absalom!_ be considered a revenge story? Please provide specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of blood in this novel, in terms of heritage? How does blood dictate what the characters can and cannot do and can and cannot be?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)