|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What photograph does Charles Bon have on his person when he dies?
2. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
3. Where do Sutpen's slaves go when the war began?
4. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
5. Which three characters have speaking roles in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Sutpen like sugar?
2. Several times throughout Chapter 4, Jason Compson mentions that Henry put Bon on "probation" for four years. What was the point of this probation?
3. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
4. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
5. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." What does she mean that they have "paid it out?"
6. What is Quentin distracted by at the end of Chapter 5 that causes him to stop paying attention to the story?
7. Explain why Sutpen chooses Ellen Coldfield to be his bride over all the other women in Jefferson.
8. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
9. Why didn't Rosa defy her father and attempt to reinstate the store so she could survive financially?
10. What is the significance of describing Judith and Henry as having a relationship as close as "that fierce impersonal rivalry between two cadets in a crack regiment"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Thomas Sutpen could be interpreted as a sympathetic character. Who in the novel views Supten sympathetically? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationships between Charles and Henry, Henry and Judith, and Charles and Judith.
Essay Topic 3
Does the novel put forth a commentary about fate? If so, what is it? Please provide specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)