|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Stupen and his bride emerge from the church after their wedding service?
2. Who helps Thomas Sutpen when he comes to Jefferson in 1833?
3. What does Jason Compson believe Henry found to be objectionable about Charles' past?
4. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
5. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Characterize Thomas Sutpen as he is portrayed by Rosa Coldfield's description in Chapter 1.
2. Chapter 6 reveals the way in which Thomas Sutpen insulted Rosa, an insult that led to Rosa calling off their engagement. How did Sutpen insult her?
3. Shreve and Quentin believe that one aspect of the idea of Charles marrying Judith is more repulsive to Henry than another. What is it?
4. How is Judith portrayed in Chapter 1?
5. Explain why Sutpen chooses Ellen Coldfield to be his bride over all the other women in Jefferson.
6. In Chapter 8, what is meant by the fact that Quentin and Shreve feel as though there are four people in their dorm room?
7. How did Judith's fiance die?
8. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." Who is she referring to when she says "he?" Who is she referring to when she says "him?"
9. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
10. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sutpen's final child is born, he refers to her as a "mare." How can this comparison between horses and women apply to the way all of the women in the novel are treated and viewed?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Quentin changes over the course of the novel and explain how and why. Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist of _Absalom, Absalom_? Who is the antagonist? Give reasons from the text to support your claims.
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)