|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
2. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
3. Why does Thomas Sutpen stop attending church?
4. What is Bon's rank in the army?
5. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Sutpen chooses Ellen Coldfield to be his bride over all the other women in Jefferson.
2. Why did Wash Jones kill Sutpen?
3. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
4. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
5. In Chapter 3, how does the breakout of the war affect the main characters of the story?
6. What does Chapter 2 imply about the reason why Mr. Coldfield was the one who ordered the wagons to pick up Sutpen's home furnishings?
7. Chapter 6 reveals the way in which Thomas Sutpen insulted Rosa, an insult that led to Rosa calling off their engagement. How did Sutpen insult her?
8. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
9. Why did Sutpen want to marry Rosa?
10. Why did Clytie set the fire at Sutpen's Hundred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Quentin changes over the course of the novel and explain how and why. Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Henry and Bon to the relationship between Quentin and Shreve.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Sutpen's house burns to the ground, eliminating the last vestiges of his former wealth. Compare the physical decline of the Sutpen estate to the decline of the Sutpen family.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)