|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) A family inheritance.
(b) He is a horse trader.
(c) No one knows.
(d) He had been a banker.
2. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Spanish-American War.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) World War II.
3. Where is Charles Bon buried?
(a) Next to his wife.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) On the battlefield.
(d) In the Sutpen family plot.
4. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
(a) Join the military company that forms at their university.
(b) Live at Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Start a trading company.
(d) Finish their degrees.
5. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
(c) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Quentin while he's listening to the story about Thomas Sutpen?
2. Shortly after Sutpen comes to Jefferson, he demonstrates a talent that both impresses and intimidates the town. What is that talent?
3. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
4. What is the relationship between Rosa Coldfield and Judith Sutpen?
5. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Rosa defy her father and attempt to reinstate the store so she could survive financially?
2. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
3. Why is Rosa Coldfield telling her story to Quentin Compson?
4. How did Judith's fiance die?
5. Why did Clytie set the fire at Sutpen's Hundred?
6. Why does Judith give the letter from Charles Bon away?
7. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
8. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
9. What is Quentin's answer to Shreve's final question of the novel?
10. Why didn't Sutpen like sugar?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)