|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sutpen's house is built but still unfurnished, what does Sutpen invite Jeffersonians out to Sutpen's Hundred to do?
(b) Help him decorate the house.
(c) Hunt, drink, play cards, and watch slaves fight for entertainment.
(d) Watch dog fighting.
2. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
(a) Jason Compson.
(b) Quentin Compson.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
3. In what state is Jefferson located?
(b) South Carolina.
(d) New Orleans.
4. To whom is Judith engaged?
(a) Charles Bon.
(b) Thomas Compson.
(c) Charles Akers.
(d) The Methodist minister.
5. Why does Thomas Sutpen stop attending church?
(a) His son dies.
(b) He becomes ill.
(c) His wife is embarrassed about her clothes.
(d) The preacher asks him to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
2. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
3. What are the names of Sutpen's two daughters?
4. Where is Ellen Sutpen at the time of Rosa's story?
5. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
2. What is Quentin's answer to Shreve's final question of the novel?
3. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
4. In Chapter 4, Jason Compson says that "...it must have been Henry who seduced Judith, not Bon..." What does this mean?
5. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
6. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
7. Why didn't Bon view his first marriage as a barrier to marrying Judith?
8. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
9. Why are there several different versions of how Charles Bon came to find out about his father in Chapter 8?
10. Why did Sutpen want to marry Rosa?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)