|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rosa marry?
(a) Mr. Compson.
(b) Thomas Sutpen.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) No one.
2. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
(a) Jefferson's hospitality committee.
(b) Mr. Coldfield.
(c) Mr. Akers.
(d) General Compson.
3. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) He is a horse trader.
(b) He had been a banker.
(c) No one knows.
(d) A family inheritance.
4. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
(a) Mrs. Compson.
(b) Judith Sutpen
(c) Wash Jones.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
5. Who wants Stupen and his bride to have a big wedding?
(a) The bride's aunt.
(b) The bride's father.
(c) The bride's mother.
(d) The groom's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
2. Where is Charles Bon buried?
3. To whom does Sutpen become engaged shortly after he is arrested?
4. In what year does the novel begin?
5. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Jason Compson give for Rosa hating her father?
2. How is Judith portrayed in Chapter 1?
3. What does Chapter 2 imply about the reason why Mr. Coldfield was the one who ordered the wagons to pick up Sutpen's home furnishings?
4. The story of Sutpen's youth as a poor white on a plantation describes considerable hostility from poor whites directed at black slaves. What was the cause of this hostility?
5. Why do the townspeople show up at the wedding to throw dirt and vegetables? Is it something more than the fact that they don't like Sutpen?
6. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
7. Why were all the charges against Sutpen dropped after his bond was signed by Mr. Coldfield and General Compson?
8. What is Shreve's final question to Quentin?
9. Why didn't Bon view his first marriage as a barrier to marrying Judith?
10. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)