|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Rosa Coldfield and Judith Sutpen?
(a) Judith is Rosa's best friend.
(b) Judith is Rosa's cousin.
(c) Judith is Rosa's niece.
(d) Judith is Rosa's step-sister.
2. Where is Ellen Sutpen at the time of Rosa's story?
(a) In Connecticut.
(b) At home.
(c) In New Orleans.
(d) She is dead.
3. After Sutpen's house is built but still unfurnished, what does Sutpen invite Jeffersonians out to Sutpen's Hundred to do?
(a) Watch dog fighting.
(b) Help him decorate the house.
(c) Hunt, drink, play cards, and watch slaves fight for entertainment.
4. Who builds Sutpen's house?
(a) The local construction company.
(b) Sutpen and his slaves.
(c) A group of soldiers.
(d) Jefferson laborers.
5. Why does Rosa move to Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen invites her.
(b) To fulfill her sister's dying wish of protecting her children by going to live with Judith.
(c) She loses her house.
(d) She needs someone to take care of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Stupen's marriage take place?
2. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
3. What does Henry study at school?
4. What does Charles Bon study at school?
5. Who does Rosa marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the townspeople show up at the wedding to throw dirt and vegetables? Is it something more than the fact that they don't like Sutpen?
2. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
3. Why did Thomas Sutpen marry Ellen Coldfield?
4. In Chapter 8, what is meant by the fact that Quentin and Shreve feel as though there are four people in their dorm room?
5. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
6. Characterize Thomas Sutpen as he is portrayed by Rosa Coldfield's description in Chapter 1.
7. How did Judith's fiance die?
8. What does Chapter 6 imply about the reason why Judith took Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon in after he was orphaned?
9. Why didn't Bon view his first marriage as a barrier to marrying Judith?
10. Why did Sutpen want to have a big wedding, even though he knew it wasn't a good idea?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)