|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Stupen and his bride emerge from the church after their wedding service?
(a) They find that their carriage has been stolen.
(b) Angry townspeople throw dirt and rotten vegetables at them.
(c) Sutpen is arrested.
(d) They are presented with gifts from the townspeople.
2. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) Charles Bon.
3. What does Thomas Sutpen do during the war?
(a) Fights for the North.
(b) Moves to New Orleans.
(c) Fights for the South.
(d) Locks himself in his attic.
4. Who kills Charles Bon?
(a) His wife.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
5. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who currently has possession of the letter presented in Chapter 4?
2. Where do Sutpen's slaves go when the war began?
3. What does Mr. Coldfield do during the war?
4. Who first discovers the truth about Charles Bon's past?
5. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason did Sutpen give for not joining the Klan?
2. What is Quentin's answer to Shreve's final question of the novel?
3. Several times throughout Chapter 4, Jason Compson mentions that Henry put Bon on "probation" for four years. What was the point of this probation?
4. In Chapter 3, how does the breakout of the war affect the main characters of the story?
5. Characterize Thomas Sutpen as he is portrayed by Rosa Coldfield's description in Chapter 1.
6. Characterize the change in public opinion about Sutpen that occurs in the first few years of his residence in Jefferson, and explain why that change occurs.
7. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
8. Why does Jason Compson, who is telling much of the story presented in Chapter 2, know so much about Sutpen?
9. What is Quentin distracted by at the end of Chapter 5 that causes him to stop paying attention to the story?
10. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)