|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the name of one of Sutpen's non-slave employees?
(a) Mr. Coldfield.
(b) Charles Akers.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) Wash Jones.
2. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Ellen Compson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Judith Sutpen.
(d) Ellen Coldfield.
3. What is Mr. Coldfield's association with Sutpen before the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's banker.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is the minister of Sutpen's church.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is the one who ordered the wagons that picked up Sutpen's home furnishings.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is one of the men who came to Sutpen's hunting parties.
4. Why does Stupen's bride cry on her wedding day?
(a) Most of Jefferson refuses to attend the wedding.
(b) Her mother can not attend the wedding.
(c) Her father disapproves of the marriage.
(d) She hates Sutpen.
5. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) No one knows.
(b) He had been a banker.
(c) He is a horse trader.
(d) A family inheritance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas Sutpen do during the war?
2. Who wants Stupen and his bride to have a big wedding?
3. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
4. In Chapter 2, which characters are talking about the story of Thomas Sutpen?
5. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sutpen reject his first wife?
2. What reason did Sutpen give for not joining the Klan?
3. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
4. Why didn't Rosa defy her father and attempt to reinstate the store so she could survive financially?
5. Why does Jason Compson, who is telling much of the story presented in Chapter 2, know so much about Sutpen?
6. Repeatedly throughout Chapter 3, Ellen is referred to as "a butterfly." Why is she characterized this way, and what does it mean?
7. In Chapter 4, Jason Compson says that "...it must have been Henry who seduced Judith, not Bon..." What does this mean?
8. Why did Sutpen want to have a big wedding, even though he knew it wasn't a good idea?
9. Why did Sutpen want to marry Rosa?
10. When did Sutpen tell General Compson about why he abandoned his first wife?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)