|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) Ellen Compson.
2. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
(a) She steals it from her father's store.
(b) She purchases it from her father's store.
(c) She receives it by mail-order.
(d) She receives it from Ellen.
3. Where is Sutpen's architect from?
(d) New Orleans.
4. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
(a) Join the military company that forms at their university.
(b) Start a trading company.
(c) Finish their degrees.
(d) Live at Sutpen's Hundred.
5. Why is Quentin Compson going to leave Jefferson in the fall?
(a) To attend Harvard.
(b) To enlist in the Civil War.
(c) To get married.
(d) To move to New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
2. When Thomas Sutpen comes to Jefferson, what does the town notice that is strange about his appearance?
3. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
4. What does Thomas Sutpen do during the war?
5. Who is Rosa engaged to at one point in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rosa Coldfield telling her story to Quentin Compson?
2. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
3. Why does Rosa stop accepting visits from Judith and Ellen?
4. Several times throughout Chapter 4, Jason Compson mentions that Henry put Bon on "probation" for four years. What was the point of this probation?
5. What reason did Sutpen give for not joining the Klan?
6. When did Sutpen tell General Compson about why he abandoned his first wife?
7. What is Shreve's final question to Quentin?
8. Repeatedly throughout Chapter 3, Ellen is referred to as "a butterfly." Why is she characterized this way, and what does it mean?
9. Why does Judith give the letter from Charles Bon away?
10. Why did Sutpen want to have a big wedding, even though he knew it wasn't a good idea?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)