|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Coldfield do with his store when the war breaks out?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Turns it into a church.
(c) Sells it.
(d) Locks it up.
2. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Quentin Compson.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Jason Compson.
3. How is Charles Bon killed?
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He is drowned.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is hung.
4. In what year does the novel begin?
5. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
(a) The Jefferson bank.
(b) Mr. Coldfield.
(c) General Compson.
(d) Ikkemotubbe, a Native American.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
2. Why is Quentin Compson going to leave Jefferson in the fall?
3. Who kills Charles Bon?
4. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
5. Where had Thomas Sutpen lived before he came to Jefferson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
2. Characterize the change in public opinion about Sutpen that occurs in the first few years of his residence in Jefferson, and explain why that change occurs.
3. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." What does she mean that they have "paid it out?"
4. What is Shreve's final question to Quentin?
5. What is Quentin distracted by at the end of Chapter 5 that causes him to stop paying attention to the story?
6. What was Rosa Coldfield's childhood relationship with Thomas Sutpen and his family?
7. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
8. In Chapter 3, how does the breakout of the war affect the main characters of the story?
9. At the end of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is "something in that house," referring to Sutpen's Hundred. Quentin responds, "In that house? It's Clytie..." What can the reader infer from this exchange?
10. Characterize Thomas Sutpen as he is portrayed by Rosa Coldfield's description in Chapter 1.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)