|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sutpen's slaves go when the war began?
(a) They hide in the woods near Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) They go to New Orleans.
(c) They leave Sutpen's Hundred to follow the Yankee army.
(d) They go to Martinique.
2. In Chapter 2, which characters are talking about the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Rosa Coldfield and Jason Compson.
(b) General Compson and Quentin Compson.
(c) Rosa Coldfield and Quentin Compson.
(d) Jason Compson and Quentin Compson.
3. Where had Thomas Sutpen lived before he came to Jefferson?
(c) No one in Jefferson knows.
(d) South Carolina.
4. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
(a) How to read.
(b) How to keep a ledger.
(c) How to keep house and manage other domestic matters.
(d) How to make a wedding dress.
5. What is Rosa Coldfield's father's occupation?
(a) He is a merchant.
(b) He is a preacher.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a tailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
2. What do Ellen and Judith do in Jefferson for entertainment?
3. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
4. Where does Supten live for the first few months of his residence in Jefferson?
5. Who kills Charles Bon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Characterize the change in public opinion about Sutpen that occurs in the first few years of his residence in Jefferson, and explain why that change occurs.
2. What does Rosa mean when she says that Sutpen "wasn't a gentleman"?
3. What is Quentin's answer to Shreve's final question of the novel?
4. Why were all the charges against Sutpen dropped after his bond was signed by Mr. Coldfield and General Compson?
5. How is Judith portrayed in Chapter 1?
6. In Chapter 8, what is meant by the fact that Quentin and Shreve feel as though there are four people in their dorm room?
7. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." Who is she referring to when she says "he?" Who is she referring to when she says "him?"
8. What was Rosa Coldfield's childhood relationship with Thomas Sutpen and his family?
9. Several times throughout Chapter 4, Jason Compson mentions that Henry put Bon on "probation" for four years. What was the point of this probation?
10. In Chapter 3, how does the breakout of the war affect the main characters of the story?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)