|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, the reason why Henry rejects his family and his birthright is revealed. What is that reason?
(a) Thomas Sutpen forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith.
(b) Henry discovered that Sutpen had other children.
(c) Henry discovered that Sutpen had stolen the money he used to build Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) Judith wanted to marry Bon.
2. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
(b) New Orleans.
3. What are the names of Sutpen's two daughters?
(a) Judith and Cassandra.
(b) Judith and Clytie.
(c) Judith and Rosa.
(d) Judith and Ellen.
4. How is Charles Bon killed?
(a) He is hung.
(b) He is drowned.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is poisoned.
5. Who does Henry bring home from college for Christmas one year?
(a) Charles Akers.
(b) His English professor.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) Quentin Compson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Supten live for the first few months of his residence in Jefferson?
2. What is the relationship between Ellen Sutpen and Rosa Coldfield?
3. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
4. Why does Sutpen get arrested?
5. In what year does Thomas Sutpen arrive in Jefferson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
2. Several times throughout Chapter 4, Jason Compson mentions that Henry put Bon on "probation" for four years. What was the point of this probation?
3. How did Judith's fiance die?
4. Characterize the change in public opinion about Sutpen that occurs in the first few years of his residence in Jefferson, and explain why that change occurs.
5. In the final imagined scene of Chapter 8, Shreve and Quentin imagine what took place after Sutpen departed from the military camp, having just told Quentin about the true origin of Charles Bon. Henry tells Bon what Sutpen has told him. What does Charles tell Henry to do?
6. At the end of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is "something in that house," referring to Sutpen's Hundred. Quentin responds, "In that house? It's Clytie..." What can the reader infer from this exchange?
7. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
8. In Chapter 8, the reader receives a glimpse of the action that unfolded the night that Rosa and Quentin went to Sutpen's Hundred. How are these events similar to another situation that occurred at Sutpen's Hundred?
9. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
10. What does Jason Compson identify as Henry's objection to Bon marrying Judith?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)