|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Supten live for the first few months of his residence in Jefferson?
(a) Holston House, the town inn.
(b) Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) In a tent on the outskirts of town.
(d) Mr. Coldfield's store.
2. Where is Charles Bon buried?
(a) In the Sutpen family plot.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) Next to his wife.
(d) On the battlefield.
3. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
(a) He feels sorry for Thomas Sutpen.
(b) His mother asks him to,
(c) He is requested specifically by the person telling the story.
(d) His father makes him.
4. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
5. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) He attends the ceremony with his wife.
(b) He goes hunting.
(c) He throws dirt and vegetables at the newlyweds.
(d) He protests the wedding and stays home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry Sutpen attend college?
2. Whose regiment does Thomas Sutpen join?
3. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
4. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
5. To whom does Sutpen become engaged shortly after he is arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. When General Compson rescues Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon from an indictment, he gives Bon money and tells him to leave town. He tells him that "once you are among strangers, people who don't know you, you can be whatever you will." What does he mean when he says that Bon "can be whatever" he wants?
2. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
3. Why didn't Sutpen like sugar?
4. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
5. Why does Judith give the letter from Charles Bon away?
6. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
7. Shreve and Quentin believe that one aspect of the idea of Charles marrying Judith is more repulsive to Henry than another. What is it?
8. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
9. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
10. What is Quentin's answer to Shreve's final question of the novel?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)