|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rosa engaged to at one point in her life?
(a) Mr. Compson.
(b) Quentin Compson.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
2. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
(a) Another architect.
(b) Spanish gold.
(c) An interior designer.
(d) Luxurious furnishings for his house.
3. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
(a) How to keep house and manage other domestic matters.
(b) How to keep a ledger.
(c) How to read.
(d) How to make a wedding dress.
4. Why does Sutpen get arrested?
(a) The town believes he stole his home furnishings.
(b) He kills a man.
(c) He does not pay his taxes.
(d) He cheats Ikkemotubbe out of his land.
5. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
(a) Wash Jones.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Mrs. Compson.
(d) Judith Sutpen
Short Answer Questions
1. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
2. What type of currency does Sutpen use to purchase his land?
3. What do Ellen and Judith do in Jefferson for entertainment?
4. Where is Charles Bon buried?
5. What is the relationship between Ellen Sutpen and Rosa Coldfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Quentin's answer to Shreve's final question of the novel?
2. Why did Wash Jones kill Sutpen?
3. Why did Sutpen reject his first wife?
4. How did Judith's fiance die?
5. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
6. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
7. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
8. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
9. Several times throughout Chapter 4, Jason Compson mentions that Henry put Bon on "probation" for four years. What was the point of this probation?
10. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)