|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Henry and Charles Bon to abruptly leave Sutpen's estate one Christmas day?
(a) Charles Bon has a fight with Sutpen.
(b) Judith calls off the marriage.
(c) Ellen hasa fight with Thomas.
(d) Henry has a fight with his father.
2. What is Bon's rank in the army?
3. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
(a) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1865.
(b) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1909.
(c) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
(d) On the Compsons' porch.
4. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Charles Bon.
5. Why is Quentin Compson going to leave Jefferson in the fall?
(a) To move to New Orleans.
(b) To attend Harvard.
(c) To get married.
(d) To enlist in the Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like the night of Sutpen's wedding?
2. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
3. Who does Rosa marry?
4. In what year does Thomas Sutpen arrive in Jefferson?
5. Where does Rosa meet Charles Bon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon such a violent and troubled young man?
2. What reason did Sutpen give for not joining the Klan?
3. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
4. When did Sutpen tell General Compson about why he abandoned his first wife?
5. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
6. In Chapter 8, the reader receives a glimpse of the action that unfolded the night that Rosa and Quentin went to Sutpen's Hundred. How are these events similar to another situation that occurred at Sutpen's Hundred?
7. How did Charles Bon actually find out about his father?
8. What does Chapter 6 imply about the reason why Judith took Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon in after he was orphaned?
9. Why do the townspeople show up at the wedding to throw dirt and vegetables? Is it something more than the fact that they don't like Sutpen?
10. Characterize the change in public opinion about Sutpen that occurs in the first few years of his residence in Jefferson, and explain why that change occurs.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)