|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Thomas Sutpen comes to Jefferson, what does the town notice that is strange about his appearance?
(a) He is missing a leg.
(b) He is extremely short.
(c) He looks as if he had been ill.
(d) He is wearing a brand-new suit.
2. To whom does Sutpen become engaged shortly after he is arrested?
(a) One of his slaves.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) Mr. Akers' daughter.
3. Where does Rosa meet Charles Bon?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) On the streets of Jefferson.
(c) She never meets him.
(d) At Sutpen's Hundred.
4. In what year does Stupen's marriage take place?
5. Where do Sutpen's slaves go when the war began?
(a) They go to Martinique.
(b) They go to New Orleans.
(c) They leave Sutpen's Hundred to follow the Yankee army.
(d) They hide in the woods near Sutpen's Hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
2. Where does Henry Sutpen attend college?
3. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
4. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
5. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
2. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
3. What does Rosa mean when she says that Sutpen "wasn't a gentleman"?
4. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
5. How does Rosa depict Judith's reaction to Charles Bon's murder?
6. Why does Judith give the letter from Charles Bon away?
7. Why didn't Bon view his first marriage as a barrier to marrying Judith?
8. What is Quentin's answer to Shreve's final question of the novel?
9. When Thomas Sutpen tells the story of his childhood to General Compson, he mentions that he lost his innocence when he went to the door of the planter's house and was told he must use the back door. What was the innocence in regard to?
10. Chapter 6 reveals the way in which Thomas Sutpen insulted Rosa, an insult that led to Rosa calling off their engagement. How did Sutpen insult her?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)