|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
(a) To marry Thomas Sutpen.
(b) To raise the Sutpen children.
(c) To protect her children.
(d) To bury her on the farm.
2. What is the weather like the night of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) It is raining.
(b) There is a tornado coming.
(c) It is a perfect summer night.
(d) It is snowing.
3. To whom is Judith engaged?
(a) Charles Bon.
(b) Thomas Compson.
(c) The Methodist minister.
(d) Charles Akers.
4. In Chapter 2, which characters are talking about the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Rosa Coldfield and Quentin Compson.
(b) Jason Compson and Quentin Compson.
(c) General Compson and Quentin Compson.
(d) Rosa Coldfield and Jason Compson.
5. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) They are neighbors.
(b) She is his aunt.
(c) She is his step-sister.
(d) She is his teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
2. Where is Sutpen's architect from?
3. Where is Quentin while he's listening to the story about Thomas Sutpen?
4. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
5. Who helps Thomas Sutpen when he comes to Jefferson in 1833?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Thomas Sutpen tells the story of his childhood to General Compson, he mentions that he lost his innocence when he went to the door of the planter's house and was told he must use the back door. What was the innocence in regard to?
2. How did Judith's fiance die?
3. Why is Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon such a violent and troubled young man?
4. Why did Sutpen want to marry Rosa?
5. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
6. Repeatedly throughout Chapter 3, Ellen is referred to as "a butterfly." Why is she characterized this way, and what does it mean?
7. Why were all the charges against Sutpen dropped after his bond was signed by Mr. Coldfield and General Compson?
8. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
9. Why is Rosa Coldfield telling her story to Quentin Compson?
10. In Chapter 8, what is meant by the fact that Quentin and Shreve feel as though there are four people in their dorm room?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)