|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shortly after Sutpen comes to Jefferson, he demonstrates a talent that both impresses and intimidates the town. What is that talent?
(a) His ability to win at cards.
(b) His horse-taming skills.
(c) His shooting skills.
(d) His ability to drink hard liquor.
2. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Spanish-American War.
3. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
(a) Make saddles.
(b) Read books.
(d) Fight with his slaves.
4. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Farm.
(b) Sutpen's Manor.
(c) Sutpen's Castle.
(d) Sutpen's Hundred.
5. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
(a) Wash Jones.
(b) Judith Sutpen
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Mrs. Compson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Coldfield die?
2. Who does Rosa marry?
3. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
4. In Chapter 4, the reason why Henry rejects his family and his birthright is revealed. What is that reason?
5. Who builds Sutpen's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
2. Why are there several different versions of how Charles Bon came to find out about his father in Chapter 8?
3. Why was Rosa offended that Wash Jones came to the front of the house when he arrived to notify her of Charles Bon's death?
4. Why is Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon such a violent and troubled young man?
5. What does Rosa mean when she says that Sutpen "wasn't a gentleman"?
6. Why didn't Sutpen like sugar?
7. How did Judith's fiance die?
8. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
9. Why were all the charges against Sutpen dropped after his bond was signed by Mr. Coldfield and General Compson?
10. What does Chapter 2 imply about the reason why Mr. Coldfield was the one who ordered the wagons to pick up Sutpen's home furnishings?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)