|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
(a) How to make a wedding dress.
(b) How to keep house and manage other domestic matters.
(c) How to read.
(d) How to keep a ledger.
2. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
(b) Make saddles.
(c) Read books.
(d) Fight with his slaves.
3. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
4. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) Ellen Compson.
5. To whom does the recipient of the letter presented in Chapter 4 give the letter to decades ago?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Jason Compson.
(c) General Compson, Quentin's grandfather.
(d) Mrs. Compson, Quentin's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Sutpen become engaged shortly after he is arrested?
2. What is the name of the woman who tells Quentin the story of Thomas Sutpen?
3. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
4. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
5. Who is Rosa engaged to at one point in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
2. What is Quentin distracted by at the end of Chapter 5 that causes him to stop paying attention to the story?
3. Why do the townspeople show up at the wedding to throw dirt and vegetables? Is it something more than the fact that they don't like Sutpen?
4. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
5. How is Judith portrayed in Chapter 1?
6. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
7. What does Chapter 6 imply about the reason why Judith took Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon in after he was orphaned?
8. What reason did Sutpen give for not joining the Klan?
9. Repeatedly throughout Chapter 3, Ellen is referred to as "a butterfly." Why is she characterized this way, and what does it mean?
10. Why were all the charges against Sutpen dropped after his bond was signed by Mr. Coldfield and General Compson?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)