|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bon's rank in the army?
2. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
(a) Fight with his slaves.
(b) Read books.
(d) Make saddles.
3. Who does Rosa marry?
(a) Mr. Compson.
(b) Thomas Sutpen.
(c) No one.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
4. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
(a) Jefferson's hospitality committee.
(b) Mr. Coldfield.
(c) Mr. Akers.
(d) General Compson.
5. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) He had been a banker.
(b) He is a horse trader.
(c) A family inheritance.
(d) No one knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sutpen's house is built but still unfurnished, what does Sutpen invite Jeffersonians out to Sutpen's Hundred to do?
2. What type of currency does Sutpen use to purchase his land?
3. Which of the following is the name of one of Sutpen's non-slave employees?
4. What does Henry study at school?
5. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Jason Compson says that "...it must have been Henry who seduced Judith, not Bon..." What does this mean?
2. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
3. Why does Jason Compson, who is telling much of the story presented in Chapter 2, know so much about Sutpen?
4. Why did Thomas Sutpen marry Ellen Coldfield?
5. Characterize Thomas Sutpen as he is portrayed by Rosa Coldfield's description in Chapter 1.
6. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
7. The story of Sutpen's youth as a poor white on a plantation describes considerable hostility from poor whites directed at black slaves. What was the cause of this hostility?
8. What does Chapter 6 imply about the reason why Judith took Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon in after he was orphaned?
9. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." Who is she referring to when she says "he?" Who is she referring to when she says "him?"
10. Why does Rosa stop accepting visits from Judith and Ellen?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)