|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
(a) Fight with his slaves.
(b) Make saddles.
(c) Read books.
2. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
(a) After the death of her sister.
(b) After the death of her father.
(c) After the birth of Judith Sutpen.
(d) After the death of her mother.
3. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) She is his teacher.
(b) She is his aunt.
(c) They are neighbors.
(d) She is his step-sister.
4. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Manor.
(b) Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Sutpen's Castle.
(d) Sutpen's Farm.
5. What does Jason Compson believe Henry found to be objectionable about Charles' past?
(a) The fact that Charles married his mistress.
(b) The fact that Charles lived in New Orleans.
(c) The fact that Charles was not of a known family.
(d) The fact that Charles had written letters to Judith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
2. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
3. Where is Sutpen's architect from?
4. To whom does Sutpen become engaged shortly after he is arrested?
5. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
2. When Thomas Sutpen tells the story of his childhood to General Compson, he mentions that he lost his innocence when he went to the door of the planter's house and was told he must use the back door. What was the innocence in regard to?
3. Repeatedly throughout Chapter 3, Ellen is referred to as "a butterfly." Why is she characterized this way, and what does it mean?
4. What does Chapter 2 imply about the reason why Mr. Coldfield was the one who ordered the wagons to pick up Sutpen's home furnishings?
5. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
6. Chapter 6 reveals the way in which Thomas Sutpen insulted Rosa, an insult that led to Rosa calling off their engagement. How did Sutpen insult her?
7. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." Who is she referring to when she says "he?" Who is she referring to when she says "him?"
8. When did Sutpen tell the story of his childhood to General Compson?
9. Explain why Sutpen chooses Ellen Coldfield to be his bride over all the other women in Jefferson.
10. In Chapter 8, what is meant by the fact that Quentin and Shreve feel as though there are four people in their dorm room?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)