|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) Judith Sutpen.
2. Who first discovers the truth about Charles Bon's past?
(a) Thomas Sutpen.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
3. In Chapter 4, the reason why Henry rejects his family and his birthright is revealed. What is that reason?
(a) Judith wanted to marry Bon.
(b) Thomas Sutpen forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith.
(c) Henry discovered that Sutpen had other children.
(d) Henry discovered that Sutpen had stolen the money he used to build Sutpen's Hundred.
4. In what state is Jefferson located?
(a) South Carolina.
(c) New Orleans.
5. What do Ellen and Judith do in Jefferson for entertainment?
(a) They goshopping and call on the ladies of the town.
(b) They go dancing.
(c) They go to the theater.
(d) They go to Holston House.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
2. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
3. Where is Ellen Sutpen at the time of Rosa's story?
4. Who kills Charles Bon?
5. Shortly after Sutpen comes to Jefferson, he demonstrates a talent that both impresses and intimidates the town. What is that talent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shreve's final question to Quentin?
2. Chapter 6 reveals the way in which Thomas Sutpen insulted Rosa, an insult that led to Rosa calling off their engagement. How did Sutpen insult her?
3. Why were all the charges against Sutpen dropped after his bond was signed by Mr. Coldfield and General Compson?
4. Why does Judith give the letter from Charles Bon away?
5. Why didn't Bon view his first marriage as a barrier to marrying Judith?
6. Why did Henry choose to reject his family and his birthright when his father forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith?
7. Repeatedly throughout Chapter 3, Ellen is referred to as "a butterfly." Why is she characterized this way, and what does it mean?
8. Why did Wash Jones kill Sutpen?
9. Explain why Sutpen chooses Ellen Coldfield to be his bride over all the other women in Jefferson.
10. Shreve and Quentin believe that one aspect of the idea of Charles marrying Judith is more repulsive to Henry than another. What is it?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)