|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) He goes hunting.
(b) He throws dirt and vegetables at the newlyweds.
(c) He protests the wedding and stays home.
(d) He attends the ceremony with his wife.
2. Who first discovers the truth about Charles Bon's past?
(a) Henry Sutpen.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Judith Sutpen.
3. Why does Rosa move to Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen invites her.
(b) To fulfill her sister's dying wish of protecting her children by going to live with Judith.
(c) She needs someone to take care of her.
(d) She loses her house.
4. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
(a) Make saddles.
(b) Read books.
(d) Fight with his slaves.
5. What does Thomas Sutpen do during the war?
(a) Moves to New Orleans.
(b) Fights for the South.
(c) Fights for the North.
(d) Locks himself in his attic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rosa engaged to at one point in her life?
2. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
3. What is Henry's rank in the army?
4. Where does Mr. Coldfield die?
5. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are there several different versions of how Charles Bon came to find out about his father in Chapter 8?
2. The story of Sutpen's youth as a poor white on a plantation describes considerable hostility from poor whites directed at black slaves. What was the cause of this hostility?
3. When General Compson rescues Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon from an indictment, he gives Bon money and tells him to leave town. He tells him that "once you are among strangers, people who don't know you, you can be whatever you will." What does he mean when he says that Bon "can be whatever" he wants?
4. What reasons does Jason Compson give for Rosa hating her father?
5. Why do the townspeople show up at the wedding to throw dirt and vegetables? Is it something more than the fact that they don't like Sutpen?
6. Why does Rosa stop accepting visits from Judith and Ellen?
7. Why did Sutpen want to have a big wedding, even though he knew it wasn't a good idea?
8. Why did Clytie set the fire at Sutpen's Hundred?
9. When Thomas Sutpen tells the story of his childhood to General Compson, he mentions that he lost his innocence when he went to the door of the planter's house and was told he must use the back door. What was the innocence in regard to?
10. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)