|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
(a) After the birth of Judith Sutpen.
(b) After the death of her sister.
(c) After the death of her mother.
(d) After the death of her father.
2. What photograph does Charles Bon have on his person when he dies?
(a) A photograph of himself in his military uniform.
(b) A photograph of his wife and child.
(c) A photograph of Henry.
(d) A photograph of Judith.
3. Who wants Stupen and his bride to have a big wedding?
(a) The bride's mother.
(b) The groom's father.
(c) The bride's aunt.
(d) The bride's father.
4. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
5. Shortly after Sutpen comes to Jefferson, he demonstrates a talent that both impresses and intimidates the town. What is that talent?
(a) His ability to win at cards.
(b) His ability to drink hard liquor.
(c) His horse-taming skills.
(d) His shooting skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
2. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
3. Who currently has possession of the letter presented in Chapter 4?
4. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
5. To whom is Judith engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what is meant by the fact that Quentin and Shreve feel as though there are four people in their dorm room?
2. Why do the townspeople show up at the wedding to throw dirt and vegetables? Is it something more than the fact that they don't like Sutpen?
3. Why is it ironic that the only Sutpen descendant left at the end of the novel is Jim Bond?
4. At the end of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is "something in that house," referring to Sutpen's Hundred. Quentin responds, "In that house? It's Clytie..." What can the reader infer from this exchange?
5. Chapter 6 reveals the way in which Thomas Sutpen insulted Rosa, an insult that led to Rosa calling off their engagement. How did Sutpen insult her?
6. Why is Rosa Coldfield telling her story to Quentin Compson?
7. In the final imagined scene of Chapter 8, Shreve and Quentin imagine what took place after Sutpen departed from the military camp, having just told Quentin about the true origin of Charles Bon. Henry tells Bon what Sutpen has told him. What does Charles tell Henry to do?
8. What is the significance of describing Judith and Henry as having a relationship as close as "that fierce impersonal rivalry between two cadets in a crack regiment"?
9. Why does Rosa take such an intense interest in Judith's wedding?
10. Why does Judith give the letter from Charles Bon away?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)