|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Sutpen become engaged shortly after he is arrested?
(a) One of his slaves.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Mr. Akers' daughter.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
2. What causes Henry and Charles Bon to abruptly leave Sutpen's estate one Christmas day?
(a) Henry has a fight with his father.
(b) Judith calls off the marriage.
(c) Ellen hasa fight with Thomas.
(d) Charles Bon has a fight with Sutpen.
3. Why does Stupen's bride cry on her wedding day?
(a) Most of Jefferson refuses to attend the wedding.
(b) Her father disapproves of the marriage.
(c) Her mother can not attend the wedding.
(d) She hates Sutpen.
4. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
(a) She purchases it from her father's store.
(b) She receives it from Ellen.
(c) She receives it by mail-order.
(d) She steals it from her father's store.
5. Which three characters have speaking roles in Chapter 1?
(a) Rosa Coldfield, Quentin Compson, and Mr. Compson.
(b) Ellen Sutpen, Rosa Coldfield, and Quentin Compson.
(c) Quentin Compson, Mr. Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
(d) Thompas Sutpen, Quentin Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who builds Sutpen's house?
2. What is the letter that is presented in Chapter 4 written with?
3. To whom is Judith engaged?
4. What do Ellen and Judith do in Jefferson for entertainment?
5. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sutpen want to have a big wedding, even though he knew it wasn't a good idea?
2. Why does Judith give the letter from Charles Bon away?
3. Why are there several different versions of how Charles Bon came to find out about his father in Chapter 8?
4. When Clytie is trying to get Quentin to bring Rosa back downstairs when Rosa has come to Sutpen's Hundred in 1909, Clytie tells Quentin, "Whatever he done, me and Judith and him have paid it out." What does she mean that they have "paid it out?"
5. Why did Thomas Sutpen marry Ellen Coldfield?
6. What is the reader to imfer from the last paragraph of Chapter 1, which says that there were "two Sutpen faces," one Judith's and one a slave girl's, looking down at Sutpen fighting his slaves?
7. What reasons does Jason Compson give for Rosa hating her father?
8. Why is it significant that it rains on Sutpen's wedding night?
9. Why did Ellen ask Rosa to protect Judith but not Henry?
10. Why does Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon flaunt his very dark-skinned wife?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)