|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kills Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Wash Jones.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
2. What happens to Charles Bon's son after his mother dies?
(a) He is sent to boarding school.
(b) He becomes a servant in New Orleans.
(c) He comes to live at Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) He inherits her money and becomes a landowner.
3. Who is telling the Sutpen story in Chapter 7?
(a) Quentin and Rosa.
(b) Quentin and Jason.
(c) Quentin and Shreve.
(d) Rosa and Shreve.
4. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) Ellen Coldfield.
(b) Wash Jones' granddaughter.
(c) His neighbor's daughter.
(d) One of his neighbor's servants.
5. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Henry did after his final meeting with his father?
(a) Killed Bon immediately.
(b) Killed himself.
(c) Told Charles Bon that Henry knew he was partially black and also his brother.
(d) Left the army and returned to Sutpen's Hundred to protect Judith.
6. Where is Sutpen's funeral?
(a) At Jefferson's Catholic church.
(b) In the woods near Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) At Jefferson's Methodist church.
(d) At Sutpen's Hundred.
7. Where is Thomas Sutpen born?
(a) In the territory that is to become Mississippi.
(b) In the territory that is to become Louisiana.
(c) In the territory that is to become North Carolina.
(d) In the territory that is to become West Virginia.
8. What is the setting of Chapter 6?
(a) The Compsons' porch.
(b) Quentin's dorm room at Harvard.
(c) Rosa Coldfield's office.
(d) The Sutpen mansion.
9. Why does Rosa leave Sutpen's estate in Chapter 5?
(a) Sutpen insults her.
(b) She fights with Judith.
(c) She hates Clytie.
(d) She does not love Sutpen.
10. What does Judith do with the money she receives from selling Sutpen's store?
(a) Moves into downtown Jefferson.
(b) Purchases a tombstone for her father.
(c) Moves to New Orleans.
(d) Purchases a tombstone for Charles Bon.
11. When Thomas Sutpen goes to the front door of the plantation house when he is a boy, what happens?
(a) The house servants laugh at Sutpen's clothes.
(b) The lady of the house takes him in and gave him a tour.
(c) The master of the house shows Sutpen his gun.
(d) The slave butler tells Sutpen he is not allowed to use the front door and must go to the back of the house.
12. Why does Sutpen reject his last (youngest) child?
(a) The child is of mixed race.
(b) The child is born out of wedlock.
(c) The child is a girl instead of a boy.
(d) The child is diseased.
13. How far is Henry and Charles' university from Sutpen's estate?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Four hundred miles.
(c) A day's train ride.
(d) Forty miles.
14. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
(b) The West Indies.
(c) South Carolina.
(d) New Orleans.
15. How old is Charles Bon when he goes away to college?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jim Bond?
2. Who says a prayer at Charles Bon's funeral?
3. How do Shreve and Quentin believe that the French planter disguised his daughter's African blood?
4. Who is the first person Rosa encounters when she enters Sutpen's house after the murder?
5. Who cries at Bon's funeral?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)