|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Charles Bon's son after his mother dies?
(a) He comes to live at Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) He becomes a servant in New Orleans.
(c) He inherits her money and becomes a landowner.
(d) He is sent to boarding school.
2. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) Wash Jones' granddaughter.
(b) One of his neighbor's servants.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) His neighbor's daughter.
3. How old is Thomas Sutpen when he returns from the war?
4. How does Thomas Sutpen's last (youngest) child die?
(a) She dies of yellow fever.
(b) She drowns.
(c) Henry Sutpen kills her.
(d) Wash Jones kills her.
5. Where is Thomas Sutpen the second time Bon visits Sutpen's estate?
(a) In Jefferson.
(b) In Haiti.
(c) In Springfield.
(d) In New Orleans.
6. Who is the primary subject of discussion in Chapter 8?
(a) Quentin Compson.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Charles Bon.
7. Who cries at Bon's funeral?
(a) No one.
(b) Judith and Rosa.
8. What is Sutpen's occupation between the time he leaves his family and the time he arrives in Jefferson?
(a) He is a planter.
(b) He is the overseer of a plantation.
(c) He is a woodworker.
(d) He is an architect.
9. Where is Shreve from?
(a) Cambridge, Massachussetts.
(b) Springfield, Illinois.
(c) Alberta, Canada.
(d) Jefferson, Mississippi.
10. What type of injury does General Compson incur in the war?
(a) He is shot in the foot.
(b) He breaks his leg.
(c) An arm wound that leads to the amputation of his right arm.
(d) He is knifed in the shoulder.
11. What is the setting of Chapter 8?
(a) Rosa Coldfield's office.
(b) Sutpen's Hundred, New Orleans, and Civil War battlefields.
(c) Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) Quentin and Shreve's dorm room.
12. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) The West Indies.
(c) South Carolina.
13. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe persuaded Bon to attend the university he chose to attend?
(a) Thomas Sutpen.
(b) The lawyer.
(c) Bon's mother.
(d) Bon's wife.
14. When Thomas Sutpen goes to the front door of the plantation house when he is a boy, what happens?
(a) The master of the house shows Sutpen his gun.
(b) The lady of the house takes him in and gave him a tour.
(c) The house servants laugh at Sutpen's clothes.
(d) The slave butler tells Sutpen he is not allowed to use the front door and must go to the back of the house.
15. How does Wash Jones' granddaughter die?
(a) She dies of yellow fever.
(b) Sutpen kills her.
(c) She dies in childbirth.
(d) Jones kills her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judith do when she tells Thomas Sutpen about what happened to Bon?
2. Why does Sutpen reject his last (youngest) child?
3. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Henry did after his final meeting with his father?
4. Chapter 7 says that Sutpen had only one friend. Who is that friend?
5. What is Charles Bon's religion?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)