|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sutpen leave his first wife?
(a) He discovers she is of mixed race.
(b) He discovers she has a child by another man.
(c) He discovers she is an adulteress.
(d) He hates her father.
2. Who is the primary narrator of Chapter 8?
3. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) His neighbor's daughter.
(b) Wash Jones' granddaughter.
(c) One of his neighbor's servants.
(d) Ellen Coldfield.
4. Who says a prayer at Charles Bon's funeral?
(c) Theophilus McCaslin.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
5. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe managed Sutpen's first wife's money?
(a) Charles Bon.
(b) General Compson.
(c) A lawyer.
6. What is Charles Bon's religion?
7. Why does Rosa leave Sutpen's estate in Chapter 5?
(a) She fights with Judith.
(b) Sutpen insults her.
(c) She does not love Sutpen.
(d) She hates Clytie.
8. What organization is Sutpen asked to join, but which he declines to be a part of?
(a) Jefferson's City Council.
(b) The Confederate Army.
(c) The Ku Klux Klan.
(d) The Mississippi Senate.
9. Where is Sutpen's funeral?
(a) At Jefferson's Catholic church.
(b) At Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) In the woods near Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) At Jefferson's Methodist church.
10. How does Charles Bon's son die?
(a) He is killed in a bar fight.
(b) He dies of yellow fever.
(c) He dies of old age.
(d) He is killed by Thomas Sutpen.
11. What is Shreve's nickname for Thomas Sutpen?
(a) The demon.
(b) The fighter.
(c) The devil.
(d) The idiot.
12. Where is Thomas Sutpen born?
(a) In the territory that is to become Mississippi.
(b) In the territory that is to become Louisiana.
(c) In the territory that is to become North Carolina.
(d) In the territory that is to become West Virginia.
13. Who is the first person Rosa encounters when she enters Sutpen's house after the murder?
(a) Charles Bon.
14. What is the name of the woman who Sutpen impregnates after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
15. At the end of Chapter 5, who is imagining the scene that occurred when Henry told Judith of the murder?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rosa live after leaving Sutpen's estate?
2. How does Thomas Sutpen's last (youngest) child die?
3. Who is discussing the Sutpen story in Chapter 6?
4. What is the setting of Chapter 6?
5. Who is present when Rosa got engaged?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)