|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the close of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is something hidden somewhere. Where is it hidden?
(a) In the swamp.
(b) In the Compson house.
(c) In her father's store.
(d) In Sutpen's house.
2. Why does Rosa leave Sutpen's estate in Chapter 5?
(a) Sutpen insults her.
(b) She fights with Judith.
(c) She does not love Sutpen.
(d) She hates Clytie.
3. How does Thomas Sutpen's last (youngest) child die?
(a) She drowns.
(b) Wash Jones kills her.
(c) Henry Sutpen kills her.
(d) She dies of yellow fever.
4. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's first child?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Charles Bon.
5. What is Sutpen's occupation between the time he leaves his family and the time he arrives in Jefferson?
(a) He is a planter.
(b) He is the overseer of a plantation.
(c) He is a woodworker.
(d) He is an architect.
6. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe persuaded Bon to attend the university he chose to attend?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) Bon's mother.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Bon's wife.
7. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Charles Bon was waiting for when he anticipated the mail that would come to the university from Sutpen's Hundred?
(a) A letter from Thomas Sutpen revealing that he was Bon's father.
(b) A letter from Judith's maid suggesting that Bon propose to Judith.
(c) A letter from Ellen suggesting that Bon propose to Judith.
(d) A letter from Judith professing her love.
8. What is the setting of Chapter 8?
(a) Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) Sutpen's Hundred, New Orleans, and Civil War battlefields.
(c) Quentin and Shreve's dorm room.
(d) Rosa Coldfield's office.
9. Why does Sutpen leave his first wife?
(a) He discovers she has a child by another man.
(b) He discovers she is an adulteress.
(c) He discovers she is of mixed race.
(d) He hates her father.
10. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) His neighbor's daughter.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Wash Jones' granddaughter.
(d) One of his neighbor's servants.
11. Who is telling the Sutpen story in Chapter 7?
(a) Quentin and Jason.
(b) Rosa and Shreve.
(c) Quentin and Rosa.
(d) Quentin and Shreve.
12. How do Shreve and Quentin believe that the French planter disguised his daughter's African blood?
(a) The planter has the neighbors lie about his daughter's mother.
(b) The French planter tells Sutpen that his daughter's mother is Spanish.
(c) The planter destroys his daughter's birth certificate.
(d) The planter tells Sutpen that his daughter's mother is Native American.
13. Who is present when Rosa got engaged?
(a) Wash Jones.
(d) Judith and Clytie.
14. Who is the first person Rosa encounters when she enters Sutpen's house after the murder?
(a) Charles Bon.
15. Who is the primary subject of discussion in Chapter 8?
(a) Quentin Compson.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Charles Bon.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Quentin goes to Sutpen's Hundred with Rosa, who tries to stop them from going up the stairs?
2. What does the letter in Chapter 6 announce?
3. Who is the letter in Chapter 6 from?
4. What happens to Charles Bon's son after his mother dies?
5. Who kills Thomas Sutpen?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)