|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Quentin and Shreve believe that Henry was wounded?
2. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe persuaded Bon to attend the university he chose to attend?
(a) Bon's wife.
(b) Thomas Sutpen.
(c) Bon's mother.
(d) The lawyer.
3. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) South Carolina.
(d) The West Indies.
4. How do Shreve and Quentin believe that the French planter disguised his daughter's African blood?
(a) The planter tells Sutpen that his daughter's mother is Native American.
(b) The French planter tells Sutpen that his daughter's mother is Spanish.
(c) The planter has the neighbors lie about his daughter's mother.
(d) The planter destroys his daughter's birth certificate.
5. How does Charles Bon's son die?
(a) He is killed in a bar fight.
(b) He is killed by Thomas Sutpen.
(c) He dies of yellow fever.
(d) He dies of old age.
6. Who is the primary narrator of Chapter 8?
7. Who is Penelope?
(a) Sutpen's sister.
(b) Sutpen's mother.
(c) Sutpen's mare, who bears a colt the same day Sutpen's last child is born.
(d) Sutpen's daughter.
8. Who cries at Bon's funeral?
(a) Judith and Rosa.
(d) No one.
9. Why does Rosa leave Sutpen's estate in Chapter 5?
(a) She fights with Judith.
(b) She hates Clytie.
(c) She does not love Sutpen.
(d) Sutpen insults her.
10. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Thomas Sutpen tells Henry at their last meeting?
(a) That Henry should move out of the country.
(b) That Henry cannot allow Bon to marry Judith.
(c) That Henry must keep Bon's identity a secret.
(d) That Henry must kill Charles Bon.
11. Where is Thomas Sutpen born?
(a) In the territory that is to become Louisiana.
(b) In the territory that is to become Mississippi.
(c) In the territory that is to become West Virginia.
(d) In the territory that is to become North Carolina.
12. What is Shreve's nickname for Thomas Sutpen?
(a) The idiot.
(b) The devil.
(c) The demon.
(d) The fighter.
13. Where does Jim Bond live?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) In the swamp adjacent to Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) In Jefferson.
(d) In a shack behind the Sutpen estate.
14. Who does Sutpen visit when he returns to Jefferson to place a tombstone on Ellen's grave?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Charles Bon.
(c) His first wife.
(d) General Compson.
15. How does Judith Sutpen die?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She dies of old age.
(c) She dies of yellow fever.
(d) She is killed by Charles Bon's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Thomas Sutpen when he returns from the war?
2. What does Judith do with the money she receives from selling Sutpen's store?
3. Who makes Bon's coffin?
4. Where is Sutpen's funeral?
5. Who conducts Sutpen's funeral service?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)