|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) Wash Jones' granddaughter.
(b) His neighbor's daughter.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) One of his neighbor's servants.
2. What does the letter in Chapter 6 announce?
(a) The death of Rosa Coldfield.
(b) The love of Charles Bon for Judith Sutpen.
(c) The sale of Sutpen's hundred.
(d) The death of Charles Bon.
3. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Charles Bon was waiting for when he anticipated the mail that would come to the university from Sutpen's Hundred?
(a) A letter from Ellen suggesting that Bon propose to Judith.
(b) A letter from Judith professing her love.
(c) A letter from Judith's maid suggesting that Bon propose to Judith.
(d) A letter from Thomas Sutpen revealing that he was Bon's father.
4. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Thomas Sutpen tells Henry at their last meeting?
(a) That Henry must keep Bon's identity a secret.
(b) That Henry should move out of the country.
(c) That Henry cannot allow Bon to marry Judith.
(d) That Henry must kill Charles Bon.
5. What is the setting of Chapter 8?
(a) Rosa Coldfield's office.
(b) Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Quentin and Shreve's dorm room.
(d) Sutpen's Hundred, New Orleans, and Civil War battlefields.
6. Who is Jim Bond?
(a) Charles Bon's grandson.
(b) Judith's son.
(c) Judith's servant.
(d) Clytie's son.
7. Who is present when Rosa got engaged?
(b) Wash Jones.
(c) Judith and Clytie.
8. What has Bon replaced the picture Judith had given him with?
(a) A picture of Henry.
(b) A picture of his wife and child.
(c) A picture of himself in his uniform.
(d) A picture of Thomas.
9. Why does Shreve believe Charles changed the pictures?
(a) Because Charles intended to mail the picture to his wife and child after marrying Judith.
(b) So that in case he died, Judith would find the picture and think that he had not been worth marrying.
(c) So that when he died, Judith would be able to contact his wife and child.
(d) Because Charles never loved Judith.
10. When Thomas Sutpen goes to the front door of the plantation house when he is a boy, what happens?
(a) The master of the house shows Sutpen his gun.
(b) The house servants laugh at Sutpen's clothes.
(c) The slave butler tells Sutpen he is not allowed to use the front door and must go to the back of the house.
(d) The lady of the house takes him in and gave him a tour.
11. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe managed Sutpen's first wife's money?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) Charles Bon.
(d) General Compson.
12. Who conducts Sutpen's funeral service?
(b) The Catholic priest.
(c) General Compson.
(d) The Methodist preacher.
13. What is Charles Bon's religion?
14. How does Quentin know about Thomas Sutpen's childhood?
(a) Sutpen's childhood is common knowledge in Jefferson.
(b) The Compsons possessed Thomas Sutpen's diary.
(c) Sutpen tells Quentin's grandfather, who tells Quentin's father, who tells Quentin.
(d) Rosa Coldfield tells Quentin about Sutpen's childhood.
15. Who is discussing the Sutpen story in Chapter 6?
(a) Quentin and Shreve.
(b) Quentin and Jason.
(c) Quentin and Henry.
(d) Quentin and Rosa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Shreve and Quentin believe that the French planter disguised his daughter's African blood?
2. Who is the primary narrator of Chapter 8?
3. Where is Thomas Sutpen born?
4. Who is telling the Sutpen story in Chapter 7?
5. What is Shreve's nickname for Thomas Sutpen?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)