|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who Sutpen impregnates after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
2. How does Wash Jones' granddaughter die?
(a) She dies in childbirth.
(b) Jones kills her.
(c) She dies of yellow fever.
(d) Sutpen kills her.
3. Why does Rosa leave Sutpen's estate in Chapter 5?
(a) She fights with Judith.
(b) She does not love Sutpen.
(c) Sutpen insults her.
(d) She hates Clytie.
4. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe managed Sutpen's first wife's money?
(a) General Compson.
(b) Charles Bon.
(d) A lawyer.
5. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) One of his neighbor's servants.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Wash Jones' granddaughter.
(d) His neighbor's daughter.
6. What is Sutpen's occupation between the time he leaves his family and the time he arrives in Jefferson?
(a) He is the overseer of a plantation.
(b) He is a woodworker.
(c) He is a planter.
(d) He is an architect.
7. Who is present when Rosa got engaged?
(a) Wash Jones.
(c) Judith and Clytie.
8. How does Quentin know about Thomas Sutpen's childhood?
(a) Sutpen's childhood is common knowledge in Jefferson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield tells Quentin about Sutpen's childhood.
(c) The Compsons possessed Thomas Sutpen's diary.
(d) Sutpen tells Quentin's grandfather, who tells Quentin's father, who tells Quentin.
9. What does Judith do with the money she receives from selling Sutpen's store?
(a) Moves into downtown Jefferson.
(b) Purchases a tombstone for Charles Bon.
(c) Moves to New Orleans.
(d) Purchases a tombstone for her father.
10. How does Charles Bon's son die?
(a) He dies of yellow fever.
(b) He is killed in a bar fight.
(c) He is killed by Thomas Sutpen.
(d) He dies of old age.
11. What organization is Sutpen asked to join, but which he declines to be a part of?
(a) The Mississippi Senate.
(b) Jefferson's City Council.
(c) The Confederate Army.
(d) The Ku Klux Klan.
12. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Charles Bon was waiting for when he anticipated the mail that would come to the university from Sutpen's Hundred?
(a) A letter from Ellen suggesting that Bon propose to Judith.
(b) A letter from Thomas Sutpen revealing that he was Bon's father.
(c) A letter from Judith professing her love.
(d) A letter from Judith's maid suggesting that Bon propose to Judith.
13. Who is the narrator of Chapter 5?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Jason Compson.
(c) Quentin Compson.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
14. Where does Rosa live after leaving Sutpen's estate?
(a) The Compsons' house.
(b) Her father's house.
(c) In her father's store.
(d) In New Orleans.
15. How does Thomas Sutpen's last (youngest) child die?
(a) She drowns.
(b) Henry Sutpen kills her.
(c) She dies of yellow fever.
(d) Wash Jones kills her.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the close of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is something hidden somewhere. Where is it hidden?
2. Who is discussing the Sutpen story in Chapter 6?
3. Who is the first person Rosa encounters when she enters Sutpen's house after the murder?
4. Who conducts Sutpen's funeral service?
5. Who is Penelope?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)