|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe managed Sutpen's first wife's money?
(a) General Compson.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) Charles Bon.
2. Why does Sutpen leave his first wife?
(a) He hates her father.
(b) He discovers she is an adulteress.
(c) He discovers she is of mixed race.
(d) He discovers she has a child by another man.
3. When Quentin goes to Sutpen's Hundred with Rosa, who tries to stop them from going up the stairs?
(b) Wash Jones.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Jim Bond.
4. At the end of Chapter 5, who is imagining the scene that occurred when Henry told Judith of the murder?
5. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Thomas Sutpen tells Henry at their last meeting?
(a) That Henry should move out of the country.
(b) That Henry cannot allow Bon to marry Judith.
(c) That Henry must kill Charles Bon.
(d) That Henry must keep Bon's identity a secret.
6. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) Wash Jones' granddaughter.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) One of his neighbor's servants.
(d) His neighbor's daughter.
7. Who is present when Rosa got engaged?
(b) Judith and Clytie.
(c) Wash Jones.
8. Why does Shreve believe Charles changed the pictures?
(a) So that when he died, Judith would be able to contact his wife and child.
(b) Because Charles intended to mail the picture to his wife and child after marrying Judith.
(c) Because Charles never loved Judith.
(d) So that in case he died, Judith would find the picture and think that he had not been worth marrying.
9. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) South Carolina.
(d) The West Indies.
10. What is Charles Bon's religion?
11. What does Judith do with the money she receives from selling Sutpen's store?
(a) Moves to New Orleans.
(b) Moves into downtown Jefferson.
(c) Purchases a tombstone for Charles Bon.
(d) Purchases a tombstone for her father.
12. At the close of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is something hidden somewhere. Where is it hidden?
(a) In her father's store.
(b) In the Compson house.
(c) In the swamp.
(d) In Sutpen's house.
13. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Henry did after his final meeting with his father?
(a) Killed himself.
(b) Killed Bon immediately.
(c) Told Charles Bon that Henry knew he was partially black and also his brother.
(d) Left the army and returned to Sutpen's Hundred to protect Judith.
14. Who kills Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Wash Jones.
(d) Judith Sutpen.
15. What does the letter in Chapter 6 announce?
(a) The love of Charles Bon for Judith Sutpen.
(b) The death of Rosa Coldfield.
(c) The death of Charles Bon.
(d) The sale of Sutpen's hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Charles Bon when he goes away to college?
2. How does Wash Jones' granddaughter die?
3. Who does Sutpen visit when he returns to Jefferson to place a tombstone on Ellen's grave?
4. Chapter 7 says that Sutpen had only one friend. Who is that friend?
5. What is the setting of Chapter 6?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)