|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is discussing the Sutpen story in Chapter 6?
(a) Quentin and Rosa.
(b) Quentin and Shreve.
(c) Quentin and Henry.
(d) Quentin and Jason.
2. How far is Henry and Charles' university from Sutpen's estate?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Forty miles.
(c) Four hundred miles.
(d) A day's train ride.
3. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe persuaded Bon to attend the university he chose to attend?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) Bon's wife.
(c) Bon's mother.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
4. Why does Sutpen leave his first wife?
(a) He hates her father.
(b) He discovers she has a child by another man.
(c) He discovers she is an adulteress.
(d) He discovers she is of mixed race.
5. What is the name of Charles and Henry's company during the war?
(a) The Oxford Company.
(b) The University Grays.
(c) The Jefferson Regiment.
(d) The Mississippi Company.
6. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) The West Indies.
(c) South Carolina.
7. Who is the narrator of Chapter 5?
(a) Jason Compson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Quentin Compson.
8. What is Sutpen's occupation between the time he leaves his family and the time he arrives in Jefferson?
(a) He is an architect.
(b) He is a woodworker.
(c) He is a planter.
(d) He is the overseer of a plantation.
9. Where is Sutpen's funeral?
(a) In the woods near Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) At Jefferson's Catholic church.
(c) At Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) At Jefferson's Methodist church.
10. What organization is Sutpen asked to join, but which he declines to be a part of?
(a) The Mississippi Senate.
(b) The Confederate Army.
(c) The Ku Klux Klan.
(d) Jefferson's City Council.
11. How does Rosa survive after she leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) She lives off the food supplies left in her father's store.
(b) She steals food and relies on donations from the neighbors.
(c) She cultivates a garden.
(d) She hunts.
12. How do Shreve and Quentin believe that the French planter disguised his daughter's African blood?
(a) The planter destroys his daughter's birth certificate.
(b) The planter tells Sutpen that his daughter's mother is Native American.
(c) The French planter tells Sutpen that his daughter's mother is Spanish.
(d) The planter has the neighbors lie about his daughter's mother.
13. Where does Rosa live after leaving Sutpen's estate?
(a) The Compsons' house.
(b) Her father's house.
(c) In New Orleans.
(d) In her father's store.
14. What is Charles Bon's religion?
15. Who is Sutpen's first wife?
(a) A slave woman.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) The daughter of a French planter who lives in Haiti.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Thomas Sutpen born?
2. When Quentin and Jason visit the Sutpen graveyard, who is buried there?
3. Who makes Bon's coffin?
4. Who does Sutpen visit when he returns to Jefferson to place a tombstone on Ellen's grave?
5. What is the name of the woman who Sutpen impregnates after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)