|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thomas Sutpen's last (youngest) child die?
(a) Henry Sutpen kills her.
(b) She dies of yellow fever.
(c) She drowns.
(d) Wash Jones kills her.
2. What is Sutpen's occupation between the time he leaves his family and the time he arrives in Jefferson?
(a) He is a planter.
(b) He is the overseer of a plantation.
(c) He is a woodworker.
(d) He is an architect.
3. How do Shreve and Quentin believe that the French planter disguised his daughter's African blood?
(a) The planter tells Sutpen that his daughter's mother is Native American.
(b) The planter destroys his daughter's birth certificate.
(c) The planter has the neighbors lie about his daughter's mother.
(d) The French planter tells Sutpen that his daughter's mother is Spanish.
4. Who is the narrator of Chapter 5?
(a) Quentin Compson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Jason Compson.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
5. What is Judith holding in her hand the first time Rosa sees her after the murder?
(a) A picture of herself that she had given Bon.
(b) Bon's hat.
(c) A picture of Bon's wife and child.
(d) Bon's jacket.
6. How does Judith Sutpen die?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She dies of yellow fever.
(c) She dies of old age.
(d) She is killed by Charles Bon's wife.
7. Who cries at Bon's funeral?
(c) Judith and Rosa.
(d) No one.
8. Where is Sutpen's funeral?
(a) At Jefferson's Catholic church.
(b) In the woods near Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) At Jefferson's Methodist church.
(d) At Sutpen's Hundred.
9. What is the name of Charles and Henry's company during the war?
(a) The Jefferson Regiment.
(b) The Mississippi Company.
(c) The University Grays.
(d) The Oxford Company.
10. What is the name of Quentin's roommate?
11. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
(a) The West Indies.
(b) South Carolina.
(c) New Orleans.
12. At the end of Chapter 5, who is imagining the scene that occurred when Henry told Judith of the murder?
13. What happens to Charles Bon's son after his mother dies?
(a) He comes to live at Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) He is sent to boarding school.
(c) He inherits her money and becomes a landowner.
(d) He becomes a servant in New Orleans.
14. When Thomas Sutpen goes to the front door of the plantation house when he is a boy, what happens?
(a) The house servants laugh at Sutpen's clothes.
(b) The lady of the house takes him in and gave him a tour.
(c) The slave butler tells Sutpen he is not allowed to use the front door and must go to the back of the house.
(d) The master of the house shows Sutpen his gun.
15. What is the setting of Chapter 6?
(a) Quentin's dorm room at Harvard.
(b) The Compsons' porch.
(c) The Sutpen mansion.
(d) Rosa Coldfield's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe persuaded Bon to attend the university he chose to attend?
2. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Charles Bon was waiting for when he anticipated the mail that would come to the university from Sutpen's Hundred?
3. Where does Jim Bond live?
4. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe managed Sutpen's first wife's money?
5. What organization is Sutpen asked to join, but which he declines to be a part of?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)