|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe persuaded Bon to attend the university he chose to attend?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) Bon's mother.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Bon's wife.
2. Who does Sutpen visit when he returns to Jefferson to place a tombstone on Ellen's grave?
(a) His first wife.
(b) General Compson.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
3. Why does Rosa leave Sutpen's estate in Chapter 5?
(a) Sutpen insults her.
(b) She does not love Sutpen.
(c) She fights with Judith.
(d) She hates Clytie.
4. Who is telling the Sutpen story in Chapter 7?
(a) Rosa and Shreve.
(b) Quentin and Jason.
(c) Quentin and Rosa.
(d) Quentin and Shreve.
5. Where is Thomas Sutpen born?
(a) In the territory that is to become North Carolina.
(b) In the territory that is to become Louisiana.
(c) In the territory that is to become Mississippi.
(d) In the territory that is to become West Virginia.
6. Who is the first person Rosa encounters when she enters Sutpen's house after the murder?
(b) Charles Bon.
7. What does the letter in Chapter 6 announce?
(a) The death of Rosa Coldfield.
(b) The sale of Sutpen's hundred.
(c) The death of Charles Bon.
(d) The love of Charles Bon for Judith Sutpen.
8. Why does Shreve believe Charles changed the pictures?
(a) So that in case he died, Judith would find the picture and think that he had not been worth marrying.
(b) So that when he died, Judith would be able to contact his wife and child.
(c) Because Charles never loved Judith.
(d) Because Charles intended to mail the picture to his wife and child after marrying Judith.
9. How does Wash Jones' granddaughter die?
(a) She dies of yellow fever.
(b) Jones kills her.
(c) She dies in childbirth.
(d) Sutpen kills her.
10. How old is Thomas Sutpen when he returns from the war?
11. When Quentin and Jason visit the Sutpen graveyard, who is buried there?
(a) Ellen and Thomas Sutpen and Charles Bon.
(b) Ellen, Thomas, and Judith Sutpen.
(c) Charles Bon and Ellen Sutpen.
(d) Ellen, Thomas, and Judith Sutpen; Charles Bon; and Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon.
12. Where does Jim Bond live?
(a) In the swamp adjacent to Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) In Jefferson.
(c) In New Orleans.
(d) In a shack behind the Sutpen estate.
13. What is the setting of Chapter 6?
(a) Quentin's dorm room at Harvard.
(b) The Compsons' porch.
(c) Rosa Coldfield's office.
(d) The Sutpen mansion.
14. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
(a) The West Indies.
(b) South Carolina.
(c) New Orleans.
15. What is the name of Quentin's roommate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization is Sutpen asked to join, but which he declines to be a part of?
2. Where do Quentin and Shreve believe that Henry was wounded?
3. Why does Sutpen leave his first wife?
4. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Charles Bon was waiting for when he anticipated the mail that would come to the university from Sutpen's Hundred?
5. Who kills Thomas Sutpen?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)