|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person Rosa encounters when she enters Sutpen's house after the murder?
(c) Charles Bon.
2. Who is the primary subject of discussion in Chapter 8?
(a) Quentin Compson.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Charles Bon.
3. When Quentin and Jason visit the Sutpen graveyard, who is buried there?
(a) Ellen, Thomas, and Judith Sutpen; Charles Bon; and Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon.
(b) Ellen, Thomas, and Judith Sutpen.
(c) Ellen and Thomas Sutpen and Charles Bon.
(d) Charles Bon and Ellen Sutpen.
4. Who is Penelope?
(a) Sutpen's daughter.
(b) Sutpen's mother.
(c) Sutpen's sister.
(d) Sutpen's mare, who bears a colt the same day Sutpen's last child is born.
5. Who rescues Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon from being indicted?
(b) General Compson.
6. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Charles Bon was waiting for when he anticipated the mail that would come to the university from Sutpen's Hundred?
(a) A letter from Judith professing her love.
(b) A letter from Ellen suggesting that Bon propose to Judith.
(c) A letter from Judith's maid suggesting that Bon propose to Judith.
(d) A letter from Thomas Sutpen revealing that he was Bon's father.
7. How does Wash Jones' granddaughter die?
(a) Jones kills her.
(b) She dies of yellow fever.
(c) She dies in childbirth.
(d) Sutpen kills her.
8. Who kills Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Wash Jones.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
9. When Thomas Sutpen goes to the front door of the plantation house when he is a boy, what happens?
(a) The master of the house shows Sutpen his gun.
(b) The slave butler tells Sutpen he is not allowed to use the front door and must go to the back of the house.
(c) The house servants laugh at Sutpen's clothes.
(d) The lady of the house takes him in and gave him a tour.
10. Where is Thomas Sutpen the second time Bon visits Sutpen's estate?
(a) In Haiti.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) In Springfield.
(d) In Jefferson.
11. Who is telling the Sutpen story in Chapter 7?
(a) Quentin and Rosa.
(b) Quentin and Shreve.
(c) Rosa and Shreve.
(d) Quentin and Jason.
12. Who is the primary narrator of Chapter 8?
13. Where is Sutpen's funeral?
(a) At Jefferson's Catholic church.
(b) At Jefferson's Methodist church.
(c) In the woods near Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) At Sutpen's Hundred.
14. What type of injury does General Compson incur in the war?
(a) He is knifed in the shoulder.
(b) An arm wound that leads to the amputation of his right arm.
(c) He breaks his leg.
(d) He is shot in the foot.
15. What does Judith do with the money she receives from selling Sutpen's store?
(a) Moves to New Orleans.
(b) Purchases a tombstone for her father.
(c) Purchases a tombstone for Charles Bon.
(d) Moves into downtown Jefferson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Shreve and Quentin imagine Thomas Sutpen tells Henry at their last meeting?
2. What does the letter in Chapter 6 announce?
3. Who makes Bon's coffin?
4. How does Judith Sutpen die?
5. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe managed Sutpen's first wife's money?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)