|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rosa leave Sutpen's estate in Chapter 5?
(a) She fights with Judith.
(b) Sutpen insults her.
(c) She does not love Sutpen.
(d) She hates Clytie.
2. Where is Shreve from?
(a) Alberta, Canada.
(b) Springfield, Illinois.
(c) Jefferson, Mississippi.
(d) Cambridge, Massachussetts.
3. Why does Shreve believe Charles changed the pictures?
(a) Because Charles never loved Judith.
(b) So that in case he died, Judith would find the picture and think that he had not been worth marrying.
(c) So that when he died, Judith would be able to contact his wife and child.
(d) Because Charles intended to mail the picture to his wife and child after marrying Judith.
4. Chapter 7 says that Sutpen had only one friend. Who is that friend?
(a) General Compson.
(b) The French planter.
(c) Wash Jones.
(d) The French architect.
5. Who is telling the Sutpen story in Chapter 7?
(a) Quentin and Rosa.
(b) Quentin and Shreve.
(c) Quentin and Jason.
(d) Rosa and Shreve.
6. How old is Rosa at the time of Bon's death?
7. What does Judith do when she tells Thomas Sutpen about what happened to Bon?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She smiles.
(c) She cries.
(d) She remains emotionless.
8. What is the name of the woman who Sutpen impregnates after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
9. What is the name of Charles and Henry's company during the war?
(a) The University Grays.
(b) The Oxford Company.
(c) The Mississippi Company.
(d) The Jefferson Regiment.
10. Who do Quentin and Shreve believe managed Sutpen's first wife's money?
(b) General Compson.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) A lawyer.
11. What woman does Sutpen turn his attentions to after Rosa leaves Sutpen's estate?
(a) Wash Jones' granddaughter.
(b) One of his neighbor's servants.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) His neighbor's daughter.
12. When Quentin and Jason visit the Sutpen graveyard, who is buried there?
(a) Ellen and Thomas Sutpen and Charles Bon.
(b) Ellen, Thomas, and Judith Sutpen; Charles Bon; and Charles Etienne Saint-Valery Bon.
(c) Charles Bon and Ellen Sutpen.
(d) Ellen, Thomas, and Judith Sutpen.
13. Who is Penelope?
(a) Sutpen's mare, who bears a colt the same day Sutpen's last child is born.
(b) Sutpen's mother.
(c) Sutpen's daughter.
(d) Sutpen's sister.
14. At the close of Chapter 5, Rosa says there is something hidden somewhere. Where is it hidden?
(a) In the swamp.
(b) In her father's store.
(c) In the Compson house.
(d) In Sutpen's house.
15. Who kills Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Wash Jones.
(c) Judith Sutpen.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sutpen's funeral?
2. How far is Henry and Charles' university from Sutpen's estate?
3. When Thomas Sutpen goes to the front door of the plantation house when he is a boy, what happens?
4. Who is Jim Bond?
5. What is the name of Quentin's roommate?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)