|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Castle.
(b) Sutpen's Manor.
(c) Sutpen's Farm.
(d) Sutpen's Hundred.
2. What do Ellen and Judith do in Jefferson for entertainment?
(a) They go to the theater.
(b) They goshopping and call on the ladies of the town.
(c) They go to Holston House.
(d) They go dancing.
3. Who first discovers the truth about Charles Bon's past?
(a) Thomas Sutpen.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Judith Sutpen.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
4. Who kills Charles Bon?
(a) His wife.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
5. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
(c) New Orleans.
6. What does Charles Bon study at school?
7. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
(a) Luxurious furnishings for his house.
(b) Spanish gold.
(c) Another architect.
(d) An interior designer.
8. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) He protests the wedding and stays home.
(b) He throws dirt and vegetables at the newlyweds.
(c) He attends the ceremony with his wife.
(d) He goes hunting.
9. What type of currency does Sutpen use to purchase his land?
(a) Spanish gold coins.
(b) US dollars.
(c) French francs.
(d) Italian lira.
10. Where does Mr. Coldfield die?
(a) In his attic.
(b) In a battle.
(c) In his store.
(d) In his parlor.
11. What is the weather like the night of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) There is a tornado coming.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is snowing.
(d) It is a perfect summer night.
12. Who helps Thomas Sutpen when he comes to Jefferson in 1833?
(a) Quentin's grandfather.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Quentin's father.
(d) The town preacher.
13. Why does Stupen's bride cry on her wedding day?
(a) She hates Sutpen.
(b) Most of Jefferson refuses to attend the wedding.
(c) Her father disapproves of the marriage.
(d) Her mother can not attend the wedding.
14. Why is Quentin Compson going to leave Jefferson in the fall?
(a) To move to New Orleans.
(b) To get married.
(c) To enlist in the Civil War.
(d) To attend Harvard.
15. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
(a) The aunt moves out to Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) The aunt dies.
(c) The aunt elopes.
(d) The aunt is arrested and jailed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ellen Sutpen at the time of Rosa's story?
2. Where had Thomas Sutpen lived before he came to Jefferson?
3. What causes Henry and Charles Bon to abruptly leave Sutpen's estate one Christmas day?
4. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
5. Where is Quentin while he's listening to the story about Thomas Sutpen?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)