|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
(a) Thomas Sutpen.
(b) Quentin Compson.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) Jason Compson.
2. Where is Charles Bon buried?
(a) In the Sutpen family plot.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) Next to his wife.
(d) On the battlefield.
3. What causes Henry and Charles Bon to abruptly leave Sutpen's estate one Christmas day?
(a) Ellen hasa fight with Thomas.
(b) Henry has a fight with his father.
(c) Judith calls off the marriage.
(d) Charles Bon has a fight with Sutpen.
4. What happens when Stupen and his bride emerge from the church after their wedding service?
(a) They are presented with gifts from the townspeople.
(b) Angry townspeople throw dirt and rotten vegetables at them.
(c) They find that their carriage has been stolen.
(d) Sutpen is arrested.
5. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
(a) Mrs. Compson.
(b) Wash Jones.
(c) Judith Sutpen
(d) Henry Sutpen.
6. Why does Thomas Sutpen stop attending church?
(a) His son dies.
(b) He becomes ill.
(c) His wife is embarrassed about her clothes.
(d) The preacher asks him to.
7. What is the relationship between Ellen Sutpen and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) Ellen is Rosa's aunt.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They are sisters.
8. What are the names of Sutpen's two daughters?
(a) Judith and Rosa.
(b) Judith and Cassandra.
(c) Judith and Clytie.
(d) Judith and Ellen.
9. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
(a) To protect her children.
(b) To marry Thomas Sutpen.
(c) To bury her on the farm.
(d) To raise the Sutpen children.
10. To whom is Judith engaged?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) Charles Bon.
(c) Charles Akers.
(d) Thomas Compson.
11. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
(a) A Civil War battle.
(b) Her father fighting with his slaves.
(c) A hanging.
(d) A horse being killed.
12. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's father-in-law.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's business associate.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is one of the townspeople who turned his back on Sutpen.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's brother-in-law.
13. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
(a) Finish their degrees.
(b) Live at Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Start a trading company.
(d) Join the military company that forms at their university.
14. What does Mr. Coldfield do during the war?
(a) Fights for the South.
(b) Moves to New Orleans.
(c) Startes a store in Jefferson.
(d) Locks himself in his attic.
15. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
2. Who wants Stupen and his bride to have a big wedding?
3. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
4. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
5. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)