|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state is Jefferson located?
(b) New Orleans.
(d) South Carolina.
2. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) Sutpen's Farm.
(c) Sutpen's Manor.
(d) Sutpen's Castle.
3. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) A family inheritance.
(b) He had been a banker.
(c) He is a horse trader.
(d) No one knows.
4. What happens when Stupen and his bride emerge from the church after their wedding service?
(a) They find that their carriage has been stolen.
(b) They are presented with gifts from the townspeople.
(c) Sutpen is arrested.
(d) Angry townspeople throw dirt and rotten vegetables at them.
5. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
(a) The Jefferson bank.
(b) General Compson.
(c) Mr. Coldfield.
(d) Ikkemotubbe, a Native American.
6. What does Mr. Coldfield do with his store when the war breaks out?
(a) Sells it.
(b) Locks it up.
(c) Turns it into a church.
(d) Burns it.
7. What is the relationship between Rosa Coldfield and Judith Sutpen?
(a) Judith is Rosa's best friend.
(b) Judith is Rosa's cousin.
(c) Judith is Rosa's step-sister.
(d) Judith is Rosa's niece.
8. What is Rosa Coldfield's father's occupation?
(a) He is a merchant.
(b) He is a preacher.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a tailor.
9. What is Henry's rank in the army?
10. Who is Rosa engaged to at one point in her life?
(a) Thomas Sutpen.
(b) Mr. Compson.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Quentin Compson.
11. What is the weather like the night of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) It is raining.
(b) There is a tornado coming.
(c) It is a perfect summer night.
(d) It is snowing.
12. Who currently has possession of the letter presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Jason Compson.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
13. In Chapter 4, the reason why Henry rejects his family and his birthright is revealed. What is that reason?
(a) Henry discovered that Sutpen had stolen the money he used to build Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) Judith wanted to marry Bon.
(c) Henry discovered that Sutpen had other children.
(d) Thomas Sutpen forbade the marriage between Bon and Judith.
14. Which three characters have speaking roles in Chapter 1?
(a) Thompas Sutpen, Quentin Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
(b) Quentin Compson, Mr. Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Ellen Sutpen, Rosa Coldfield, and Quentin Compson.
(d) Rosa Coldfield, Quentin Compson, and Mr. Compson.
15. Why does Stupen's bride cry on her wedding day?
(a) Most of Jefferson refuses to attend the wedding.
(b) Her mother can not attend the wedding.
(c) She hates Sutpen.
(d) Her father disapproves of the marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sutpen's architect from?
2. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
3. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
4. Which of the following is the name of one of Sutpen's non-slave employees?
5. Why does Sutpen get arrested?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)