|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's rank in the army?
2. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
(a) His mother asks him to,
(b) He is requested specifically by the person telling the story.
(c) He feels sorry for Thomas Sutpen.
(d) His father makes him.
3. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
(a) General Compson.
(b) The Jefferson bank.
(c) Ikkemotubbe, a Native American.
(d) Mr. Coldfield.
4. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
(a) Another architect.
(b) Luxurious furnishings for his house.
(c) Spanish gold.
(d) An interior designer.
5. In what year does the novel begin?
6. What happens when Stupen and his bride emerge from the church after their wedding service?
(a) They find that their carriage has been stolen.
(b) They are presented with gifts from the townspeople.
(c) Angry townspeople throw dirt and rotten vegetables at them.
(d) Sutpen is arrested.
7. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
(a) She is making undergarments for Judith's trousseau.
(b) She is making Judith's wedding dress.
(c) She is knitting Judith a sweater.
(d) She is writing out instructions on how to cook.
8. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
(a) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
(b) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1865.
(c) On the Compsons' porch.
(d) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1909.
9. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
(a) Jason Compson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Quentin Compson.
10. Who kills Charles Bon?
(a) Henry Sutpen.
(b) His wife.
(c) Judith Sutpen.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
11. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Ellen Compson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) Judith Sutpen.
12. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
13. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
(a) How to keep a ledger.
(b) How to make a wedding dress.
(c) How to read.
(d) How to keep house and manage other domestic matters.
14. Whose regiment does Thomas Sutpen join?
(a) General Lee's.
(b) Colonel Akers's.
(c) Colonel Sartoris's.
(d) General Compson's.
15. What is the letter that is presented in Chapter 4 written with?
(b) Stove polish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
2. What is the relationship between Rosa Coldfield and Judith Sutpen?
3. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
4. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
5. What causes Henry and Charles Bon to abruptly leave Sutpen's estate one Christmas day?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)