|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's father-in-law.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's business associate.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is one of the townspeople who turned his back on Sutpen.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's brother-in-law.
2. Where does Mr. Coldfield die?
(a) In a battle.
(b) In his parlor.
(c) In his store.
(d) In his attic.
3. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
(a) She is knitting Judith a sweater.
(b) She is writing out instructions on how to cook.
(c) She is making Judith's wedding dress.
(d) She is making undergarments for Judith's trousseau.
4. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Ellen Compson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) Judith Sutpen.
5. Where is Charles Bon buried?
(a) In the Sutpen family plot.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) On the battlefield.
(d) Next to his wife.
6. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
(a) Henry Sutpen.
(b) Mrs. Compson.
(c) Wash Jones.
(d) Judith Sutpen
7. To whom is Judith engaged?
(a) Charles Akers.
(b) The Methodist minister.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) Thomas Compson.
8. Which of the following is the name of one of Sutpen's non-slave employees?
(a) Wash Jones.
(b) Mr. Coldfield.
(c) Charles Akers.
(d) Charles Bon.
9. In what state is Jefferson located?
(a) South Carolina.
(b) New Orleans.
10. Who does Henry bring home from college for Christmas one year?
(a) Charles Bon.
(b) Charles Akers.
(c) His English professor.
(d) Quentin Compson.
11. What causes Henry and Charles Bon to abruptly leave Sutpen's estate one Christmas day?
(a) Henry has a fight with his father.
(b) Ellen hasa fight with Thomas.
(c) Charles Bon has a fight with Sutpen.
(d) Judith calls off the marriage.
12. Where is Quentin while he's listening to the story about Thomas Sutpen?
(a) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
(b) In his father's house.
(c) At Harvard.
(d) At Stupen's estate.
13. In Chapter 2, which characters are talking about the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Rosa Coldfield and Quentin Compson.
(b) Jason Compson and Quentin Compson.
(c) General Compson and Quentin Compson.
(d) Rosa Coldfield and Jason Compson.
14. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
(a) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1865.
(b) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1909.
(c) On the Compsons' porch.
(d) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
15. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
2. Where does Supten live for the first few months of his residence in Jefferson?
3. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
4. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
5. What is Henry's rank in the army?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)