|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kills Charles Bon?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) His wife.
2. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) One of Sutpen's slaves.
(c) Mr. Akers
(d) Mr. Coldfield and General Compson.
3. What does Charles Bon study at school?
4. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) No one knows.
(b) He is a horse trader.
(c) A family inheritance.
(d) He had been a banker.
5. Why does Stupen's bride cry on her wedding day?
(a) Her mother can not attend the wedding.
(b) Most of Jefferson refuses to attend the wedding.
(c) Her father disapproves of the marriage.
(d) She hates Sutpen.
6. What is Bon's rank in the army?
7. In Chapter 2, which characters are talking about the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Jason Compson and Quentin Compson.
(b) General Compson and Quentin Compson.
(c) Rosa Coldfield and Jason Compson.
(d) Rosa Coldfield and Quentin Compson.
8. Who does Rosa marry?
(a) Henry Sutpen.
(b) Thomas Sutpen.
(c) Mr. Compson.
(d) No one.
9. To whom is Judith engaged?
(a) Charles Akers.
(b) Charles Bon.
(c) The Methodist minister.
(d) Thomas Compson.
10. In what year does the novel begin?
11. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
(b) Read books.
(c) Make saddles.
(d) Fight with his slaves.
12. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Castle.
(b) Sutpen's Manor.
(c) Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) Sutpen's Farm.
13. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Spanish-American War.
14. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
(a) She steals it from her father's store.
(b) She receives it from Ellen.
(c) She purchases it from her father's store.
(d) She receives it by mail-order.
15. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) He attends the ceremony with his wife.
(b) He goes hunting.
(c) He throws dirt and vegetables at the newlyweds.
(d) He protests the wedding and stays home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Thomas Sutpen lived before he came to Jefferson?
2. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
3. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
4. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
5. Which three characters have speaking roles in Chapter 1?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)