|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
(a) Ikkemotubbe, a Native American.
(b) The Jefferson bank.
(c) Mr. Coldfield.
(d) General Compson.
2. Who does Henry bring home from college for Christmas one year?
(a) Charles Bon.
(b) Quentin Compson.
(c) Charles Akers.
(d) His English professor.
3. Where is Quentin while he's listening to the story about Thomas Sutpen?
(a) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
(b) At Harvard.
(c) In his father's house.
(d) At Stupen's estate.
4. In what year does Thomas Sutpen arrive in Jefferson?
5. What is the name of the woman who tells Quentin the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Ellen Coldfield.
(b) Ellen Sutpen.
(c) Judith Sutpen.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
6. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
(a) Start a trading company.
(b) Live at Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Join the military company that forms at their university.
(d) Finish their degrees.
7. Who builds Sutpen's house?
(a) Sutpen and his slaves.
(b) Jefferson laborers.
(c) A group of soldiers.
(d) The local construction company.
8. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Ellen Compson.
(d) Judith Sutpen.
9. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
(a) Thomas Sutpen.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Jason Compson.
(d) Quentin Compson.
10. Why does Thomas Sutpen stop attending church?
(a) The preacher asks him to.
(b) His wife is embarrassed about her clothes.
(c) He becomes ill.
(d) His son dies.
11. What does Jason Compson believe Henry found to be objectionable about Charles' past?
(a) The fact that Charles had written letters to Judith.
(b) The fact that Charles lived in New Orleans.
(c) The fact that Charles was not of a known family.
(d) The fact that Charles married his mistress.
12. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
(a) Mr. Coldfield.
(b) Mr. Akers.
(c) General Compson.
(d) Jefferson's hospitality committee.
13. When Thomas Sutpen comes to Jefferson, what does the town notice that is strange about his appearance?
(a) He is wearing a brand-new suit.
(b) He is extremely short.
(c) He looks as if he had been ill.
(d) He is missing a leg.
14. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
(a) She is making undergarments for Judith's trousseau.
(b) She is making Judith's wedding dress.
(c) She is writing out instructions on how to cook.
(d) She is knitting Judith a sweater.
15. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
(a) To marry Thomas Sutpen.
(b) To bury her on the farm.
(c) To protect her children.
(d) To raise the Sutpen children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry Sutpen attend college?
2. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
3. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
4. Whose regiment does Thomas Sutpen join?
5. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)