|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ellen Sutpen at the time of Rosa's story?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) She is dead.
(c) At home.
(d) In Connecticut.
2. Who builds Sutpen's house?
(a) The local construction company.
(b) Jefferson laborers.
(c) Sutpen and his slaves.
(d) A group of soldiers.
3. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
(a) To marry Thomas Sutpen.
(b) To protect her children.
(c) To raise the Sutpen children.
(d) To bury her on the farm.
4. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
(a) The aunt dies.
(b) The aunt elopes.
(c) The aunt moves out to Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) The aunt is arrested and jailed.
5. What is the relationship between Ellen Sutpen and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) Ellen is Rosa's aunt.
(d) They are best friends.
6. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
(a) After the death of her mother.
(b) After the death of her father.
(c) After the death of her sister.
(d) After the birth of Judith Sutpen.
7. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) She is his aunt.
(b) They are neighbors.
(c) She is his teacher.
(d) She is his step-sister.
8. Who is Rosa engaged to at one point in her life?
(a) Mr. Compson.
(b) Quentin Compson.
(c) Thomas Sutpen.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
9. Which of the following is the name of one of Sutpen's non-slave employees?
(a) Wash Jones.
(b) Charles Bon.
(c) Mr. Coldfield.
(d) Charles Akers.
10. To whom is Judith engaged?
(a) Thomas Compson.
(b) The Methodist minister.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) Charles Akers.
11. Who wants Stupen and his bride to have a big wedding?
(a) The groom's father.
(b) The bride's father.
(c) The bride's aunt.
(d) The bride's mother.
12. What is Bon's rank in the army?
13. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
(a) Mrs. Compson.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Wash Jones.
(d) Judith Sutpen
14. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
(a) New Orleans.
15. When Thomas Sutpen comes to Jefferson, what does the town notice that is strange about his appearance?
(a) He is extremely short.
(b) He is missing a leg.
(c) He is wearing a brand-new suit.
(d) He looks as if he had been ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, the reason why Henry rejects his family and his birthright is revealed. What is that reason?
2. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
3. Where had Thomas Sutpen lived before he came to Jefferson?
4. What is the letter that is presented in Chapter 4 written with?
5. What does Henry study at school?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)