|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
2. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
(a) After the death of her sister.
(b) After the death of her mother.
(c) After the death of her father.
(d) After the birth of Judith Sutpen.
3. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
(a) He feels sorry for Thomas Sutpen.
(b) His mother asks him to,
(c) He is requested specifically by the person telling the story.
(d) His father makes him.
4. What is Rosa Coldfield's father's occupation?
(a) He is a preacher.
(b) He is a tailor.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a merchant.
5. What type of currency does Sutpen use to purchase his land?
(a) Italian lira.
(b) US dollars.
(c) French francs.
(d) Spanish gold coins.
6. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) He had been a banker.
(b) A family inheritance.
(c) He is a horse trader.
(d) No one knows.
7. What is the letter that is presented in Chapter 4 written with?
(c) Stove polish.
8. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
(a) The Jefferson bank.
(b) General Compson.
(c) Ikkemotubbe, a Native American.
(d) Mr. Coldfield.
9. What is Mr. Coldfield's association with Sutpen before the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is the minister of Sutpen's church.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's banker.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is one of the men who came to Sutpen's hunting parties.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is the one who ordered the wagons that picked up Sutpen's home furnishings.
10. What does Mr. Coldfield do during the war?
(a) Startes a store in Jefferson.
(b) Moves to New Orleans.
(c) Locks himself in his attic.
(d) Fights for the South.
11. Who does Rosa marry?
(a) Mr. Compson.
(b) Thomas Sutpen.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) No one.
12. Who wants Stupen and his bride to have a big wedding?
(a) The bride's father.
(b) The bride's mother.
(c) The bride's aunt.
(d) The groom's father.
13. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
(a) Join the military company that forms at their university.
(b) Live at Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Finish their degrees.
(d) Start a trading company.
14. In what year does Stupen's marriage take place?
15. Where is Sutpen's architect from?
(d) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 4, the reason why Henry rejects his family and his birthright is revealed. What is that reason?
3. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
4. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
5. Where do Sutpen's slaves go when the war began?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)