|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
(a) Live at Sutpen's Hundred.
(b) Finish their degrees.
(c) Join the military company that forms at their university.
(d) Start a trading company.
2. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
(a) The aunt is arrested and jailed.
(b) The aunt dies.
(c) The aunt moves out to Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) The aunt elopes.
3. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
(a) Her father fighting with his slaves.
(b) A Civil War battle.
(c) A horse being killed.
(d) A hanging.
4. What happens when Stupen and his bride emerge from the church after their wedding service?
(a) They are presented with gifts from the townspeople.
(b) Angry townspeople throw dirt and rotten vegetables at them.
(c) Sutpen is arrested.
(d) They find that their carriage has been stolen.
5. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) She is his teacher.
(b) They are neighbors.
(c) She is his step-sister.
(d) She is his aunt.
6. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's business associate.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is one of the townspeople who turned his back on Sutpen.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's father-in-law.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's brother-in-law.
7. In Chapter 2, which characters are talking about the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Rosa Coldfield and Jason Compson.
(b) General Compson and Quentin Compson.
(c) Rosa Coldfield and Quentin Compson.
(d) Jason Compson and Quentin Compson.
8. What are the names of Sutpen's two daughters?
(a) Judith and Clytie.
(b) Judith and Cassandra.
(c) Judith and Rosa.
(d) Judith and Ellen.
9. What is the name of the woman who tells Quentin the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Judith Sutpen.
(d) Ellen Sutpen.
10. What is the letter that is presented in Chapter 4 written with?
(b) Stove polish.
11. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) Judith Sutpen.
12. What is the relationship between Rosa Coldfield and Judith Sutpen?
(a) Judith is Rosa's niece.
(b) Judith is Rosa's best friend.
(c) Judith is Rosa's cousin.
(d) Judith is Rosa's step-sister.
13. What does Mr. Coldfield do during the war?
(a) Moves to New Orleans.
(b) Startes a store in Jefferson.
(c) Locks himself in his attic.
(d) Fights for the South.
14. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
(a) After the death of her father.
(b) After the death of her mother.
(c) After the birth of Judith Sutpen.
(d) After the death of her sister.
15. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
(a) She is writing out instructions on how to cook.
(b) She is knitting Judith a sweater.
(c) She is making Judith's wedding dress.
(d) She is making undergarments for Judith's trousseau.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's rank in the army?
2. Shortly after Sutpen comes to Jefferson, he demonstrates a talent that both impresses and intimidates the town. What is that talent?
3. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
4. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
5. When Thomas Sutpen comes to Jefferson, what does the town notice that is strange about his appearance?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)