|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
(a) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1865.
(b) On the Compsons' porch.
(c) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
(d) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1909.
2. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's business associate.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is one of the townspeople who turned his back on Sutpen.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's father-in-law.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's brother-in-law.
3. What causes Henry and Charles Bon to abruptly leave Sutpen's estate one Christmas day?
(a) Judith calls off the marriage.
(b) Ellen hasa fight with Thomas.
(c) Henry has a fight with his father.
(d) Charles Bon has a fight with Sutpen.
4. Where had Thomas Sutpen lived before he came to Jefferson?
(a) No one in Jefferson knows.
(c) South Carolina.
5. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) Ellen Compson.
6. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
(a) She is making Judith's wedding dress.
(b) She is knitting Judith a sweater.
(c) She is making undergarments for Judith's trousseau.
(d) She is writing out instructions on how to cook.
7. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Farm.
(b) Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Sutpen's Castle.
(d) Sutpen's Manor.
8. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
(a) Another architect.
(b) Spanish gold.
(c) Luxurious furnishings for his house.
(d) An interior designer.
9. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
(a) One of Sutpen's slaves.
(b) The Methodist minister.
(c) Mr. Akers
(d) Mr. Coldfield and General Compson.
10. Why does Stupen's bride cry on her wedding day?
(a) She hates Sutpen.
(b) Her father disapproves of the marriage.
(c) Her mother can not attend the wedding.
(d) Most of Jefferson refuses to attend the wedding.
11. Whose regiment does Thomas Sutpen join?
(a) Colonel Sartoris's.
(b) General Compson's.
(c) General Lee's.
(d) Colonel Akers's.
12. In what year does the novel begin?
13. What is Mr. Coldfield's association with Sutpen before the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is the one who ordered the wagons that picked up Sutpen's home furnishings.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is the minister of Sutpen's church.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is one of the men who came to Sutpen's hunting parties.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's banker.
14. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
15. What does Jason Compson believe Henry found to be objectionable about Charles' past?
(a) The fact that Charles had written letters to Judith.
(b) The fact that Charles married his mistress.
(c) The fact that Charles was not of a known family.
(d) The fact that Charles lived in New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
2. Where does Supten live for the first few months of his residence in Jefferson?
3. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
4. In what year does Stupen's marriage take place?
5. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)