|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
(a) He feels sorry for Thomas Sutpen.
(b) His father makes him.
(c) He is requested specifically by the person telling the story.
(d) His mother asks him to,
2. What is Rosa Coldfield's father's occupation?
(a) He is a merchant.
(b) He is a preacher.
(c) He is a tailor.
(d) He is a farmer.
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. In what year does Thomas Sutpen arrive in Jefferson?
5. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
(a) A hanging.
(b) Her father fighting with his slaves.
(c) A Civil War battle.
(d) A horse being killed.
6. What happens when Stupen and his bride emerge from the church after their wedding service?
(a) Sutpen is arrested.
(b) They are presented with gifts from the townspeople.
(c) They find that their carriage has been stolen.
(d) Angry townspeople throw dirt and rotten vegetables at them.
7. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
(a) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1909.
(b) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
(c) On the Compsons' porch.
(d) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1865.
8. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
(a) Mrs. Compson.
(b) Wash Jones.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Judith Sutpen
9. Who does Henry bring home from college for Christmas one year?
(a) Charles Akers.
(b) His English professor.
(c) Quentin Compson.
(d) Charles Bon.
10. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) He goes hunting.
(b) He protests the wedding and stays home.
(c) He throws dirt and vegetables at the newlyweds.
(d) He attends the ceremony with his wife.
11. Where is Ellen Sutpen at the time of Rosa's story?
(a) She is dead.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) At home.
(d) In Connecticut.
12. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
(a) She is making Judith's wedding dress.
(b) She is writing out instructions on how to cook.
(c) She is knitting Judith a sweater.
(d) She is making undergarments for Judith's trousseau.
13. What is the relationship between Ellen Sutpen and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) Ellen is Rosa's aunt.
(b) They are sisters.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They are cousins.
14. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
15. Where does Henry Sutpen attend college?
(a) University of Mississippi.
(b) University of South Carolina.
(c) State University at Oxford.
(d) University of New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Coldfield do with his store when the war breaks out?
2. Who builds Sutpen's house?
3. Where is Charles Bon buried?
4. What do Henry and Charles Bon do during the war?
5. In what state is Jefferson located?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)