|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shortly after Sutpen comes to Jefferson, he demonstrates a talent that both impresses and intimidates the town. What is that talent?
(a) His shooting skills.
(b) His horse-taming skills.
(c) His ability to drink hard liquor.
(d) His ability to win at cards.
2. When Thomas Sutpen comes to Jefferson, what does the town notice that is strange about his appearance?
(a) He looks as if he had been ill.
(b) He is missing a leg.
(c) He is wearing a brand-new suit.
(d) He is extremely short.
3. Where had Thomas Sutpen lived before he came to Jefferson?
(b) South Carolina.
(c) No one in Jefferson knows.
4. What is the relationship between Rosa Coldfield and Judith Sutpen?
(a) Judith is Rosa's best friend.
(b) Judith is Rosa's cousin.
(c) Judith is Rosa's niece.
(d) Judith is Rosa's step-sister.
5. What does Mr. Coldfield do during the war?
(a) Fights for the South.
(b) Moves to New Orleans.
(c) Startes a store in Jefferson.
(d) Locks himself in his attic.
6. What is the name of the woman who tells Quentin the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Ellen Coldfield.
(c) Judith Sutpen.
(d) Ellen Sutpen.
7. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) One of Sutpen's slaves.
(c) Mr. Akers
(d) Mr. Coldfield and General Compson.
8. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Castle.
(b) Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Sutpen's Farm.
(d) Sutpen's Manor.
9. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
(a) An interior designer.
(b) Luxurious furnishings for his house.
(c) Spanish gold.
(d) Another architect.
10. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Charles Bon.
(c) Henry Sutpen.
(d) Judith Sutpen.
11. Who does Henry bring home from college for Christmas one year?
(a) Charles Akers.
(b) His English professor.
(c) Quentin Compson.
(d) Charles Bon.
12. In what year does the novel begin?
13. In what year does Stupen's marriage take place?
14. What does Rosa Coldfield's sister ask of Rosa before the sister dies?
(a) To protect her children.
(b) To raise the Sutpen children.
(c) To bury her on the farm.
(d) To marry Thomas Sutpen.
15. What causes Henry and Charles Bon to abruptly leave Sutpen's estate one Christmas day?
(a) Judith calls off the marriage.
(b) Charles Bon has a fight with Sutpen.
(c) Henry has a fight with his father.
(d) Ellen hasa fight with Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Ellen Sutpen and Rosa Coldfield?
2. Who helps Thomas Sutpen when he comes to Jefferson in 1833?
3. Who first discovers the truth about Charles Bon's past?
4. From whom does Sutpen purchase his land?
5. What does Henry study at school?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)