|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Rosa Coldfield and Judith Sutpen?
(a) Judith is Rosa's step-sister.
(b) Judith is Rosa's cousin.
(c) Judith is Rosa's best friend.
(d) Judith is Rosa's niece.
2. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) They are neighbors.
(b) She is his teacher.
(c) She is his aunt.
(d) She is his step-sister.
3. What is Henry's rank in the army?
4. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
(a) Luxurious furnishings for his house.
(b) Another architect.
(c) An interior designer.
(d) Spanish gold.
5. Where does Mr. Coldfield die?
(a) In his attic.
(b) In his parlor.
(c) In his store.
(d) In a battle.
6. What does Mr. Coldfield do with his store when the war breaks out?
(a) Turns it into a church.
(b) Locks it up.
(c) Sells it.
(d) Burns it.
7. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Quentin Compson.
(c) Jason Compson.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
8. What is the weather like the night of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) It is a perfect summer night.
(b) It is raining.
(c) There is a tornado coming.
(d) It is snowing.
9. Why is Quentin Compson going to leave Jefferson in the fall?
(a) To get married.
(b) To move to New Orleans.
(c) To enlist in the Civil War.
(d) To attend Harvard.
10. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Manor.
(b) Sutpen's Hundred.
(c) Sutpen's Farm.
(d) Sutpen's Castle.
11. What type of currency does Sutpen use to purchase his land?
(a) Spanish gold coins.
(b) Italian lira.
(c) French francs.
(d) US dollars.
12. Why does Sutpen choose the bride he does?
(a) Her father is rich and Sutpen wanted a large dowry.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman in Jefferson.
(c) He meets her at church and falls in love with her immediately.
(d) Her father is one of the most respectable men in Jefferson.
13. What does General Compson do on the day of Sutpen's wedding?
(a) He protests the wedding and stays home.
(b) He attends the ceremony with his wife.
(c) He throws dirt and vegetables at the newlyweds.
(d) He goes hunting.
14. How old is Rosa when Ellen dies?
15. What do Ellen and Judith do in Jefferson for entertainment?
(a) They goshopping and call on the ladies of the town.
(b) They go to Holston House.
(c) They go dancing.
(d) They go to the theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, the reason why Henry rejects his family and his birthright is revealed. What is that reason?
2. What is the letter that is presented in Chapter 4 written with?
3. Where does Supten live for the first few months of his residence in Jefferson?
4. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
5. What is Rosa Coldfield's father's occupation?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)