|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which three characters have speaking roles in Chapter 1?
(a) Quentin Compson, Mr. Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
(b) Rosa Coldfield, Quentin Compson, and Mr. Compson.
(c) Ellen Sutpen, Rosa Coldfield, and Quentin Compson.
(d) Thompas Sutpen, Quentin Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
2. What is Rosa Coldfield's father's occupation?
(a) He is a tailor.
(b) He is a merchant.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a preacher.
3. In Chapter 2, which characters are talking about the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Jason Compson and Quentin Compson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield and Quentin Compson.
(c) General Compson and Quentin Compson.
(d) Rosa Coldfield and Jason Compson.
4. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
5. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
(a) After the death of her sister.
(b) After the death of her mother.
(c) After the death of her father.
(d) After the birth of Judith Sutpen.
6. Who helps Thomas Sutpen when he comes to Jefferson in 1833?
(a) Ellen Coldfield.
(b) The town preacher.
(c) Quentin's father.
(d) Quentin's grandfather.
7. Who is Rosa engaged to at one point in her life?
(a) Henry Sutpen.
(b) Mr. Compson.
(c) Quentin Compson.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
8. What is Henry's rank in the army?
9. What is Mr. Coldfield's association with Sutpen before the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is the one who ordered the wagons that picked up Sutpen's home furnishings.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is one of the men who came to Sutpen's hunting parties.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is the minister of Sutpen's church.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's banker.
10. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Charles Bon.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
11. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
(a) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1865.
(b) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
(c) On the Compsons' porch.
(d) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1909.
12. Why does Sutpen get arrested?
(a) The town believes he stole his home furnishings.
(b) He cheats Ikkemotubbe out of his land.
(c) He does not pay his taxes.
(d) He kills a man.
13. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
(a) One of Sutpen's slaves.
(b) Mr. Akers
(c) The Methodist minister.
(d) Mr. Coldfield and General Compson.
14. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) He had been a banker.
(b) No one knows.
(c) A family inheritance.
(d) He is a horse trader.
15. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
(a) His mother asks him to,
(b) He is requested specifically by the person telling the story.
(c) He feels sorry for Thomas Sutpen.
(d) His father makes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bon's rank in the army?
2. Who first discovers the truth about Charles Bon's past?
3. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
4. Why does Sutpen choose the bride he does?
5. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)