|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sutpen get arrested?
(a) He does not pay his taxes.
(b) The town believes he stole his home furnishings.
(c) He kills a man.
(d) He cheats Ikkemotubbe out of his land.
2. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) The Spanish-American War.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
3. What is the name of Thomas Sutpen's estate?
(a) Sutpen's Farm.
(b) Sutpen's Manor.
(c) Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) Sutpen's Castle.
4. Who is Rosa engaged to at one point in her life?
(a) Mr. Compson.
(b) Thomas Sutpen.
(c) Quentin Compson.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
5. What photograph does Charles Bon have on his person when he dies?
(a) A photograph of himself in his military uniform.
(b) A photograph of Judith.
(c) A photograph of Henry.
(d) A photograph of his wife and child.
6. Where is Charles Bon buried?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) Next to his wife.
(c) In the Sutpen family plot.
(d) On the battlefield.
7. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
(a) Mr. Akers.
(b) Jefferson's hospitality committee.
(c) General Compson.
(d) Mr. Coldfield.
8. Whose regiment does Thomas Sutpen join?
(a) Colonel Akers's.
(b) General Lee's.
(c) Colonel Sartoris's.
(d) General Compson's.
9. In what state is Jefferson located?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) South Carolina.
10. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
(a) A hanging.
(b) A horse being killed.
(c) Her father fighting with his slaves.
(d) A Civil War battle.
11. To whom does Sutpen become engaged shortly after he is arrested?
(a) Mr. Akers' daughter.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) One of his slaves.
(d) Ellen Coldfield.
12. What do Ellen and Judith do in Jefferson for entertainment?
(a) They go to the theater.
(b) They go dancing.
(c) They goshopping and call on the ladies of the town.
(d) They go to Holston House.
13. What type of currency does Sutpen use to purchase his land?
(a) French francs.
(b) US dollars.
(c) Italian lira.
(d) Spanish gold coins.
14. What is Henry's rank in the army?
15. After Sutpen's house is built but still unfurnished, what does Sutpen invite Jeffersonians out to Sutpen's Hundred to do?
(a) Hunt, drink, play cards, and watch slaves fight for entertainment.
(b) Help him decorate the house.
(c) Watch dog fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. What is Thomas Sutpen's rank in the army?
3. In Chapter 4, the reason why Henry rejects his family and his birthright is revealed. What is that reason?
4. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
5. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)