|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
(d) New Orleans.
2. What does Mr. Coldfield do with his store when the war breaks out?
(a) Locks it up.
(b) Turns it into a church.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Sells it.
3. Where does Mr. Coldfield die?
(a) In his store.
(b) In his attic.
(c) In his parlor.
(d) In a battle.
4. Where is Quentin while he's listening to the story about Thomas Sutpen?
(a) At Harvard.
(b) At Stupen's estate.
(c) In his father's house.
(d) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
5. Why is Quentin listening to the story about Sutpen?
(a) He feels sorry for Thomas Sutpen.
(b) His father makes him.
(c) His mother asks him to,
(d) He is requested specifically by the person telling the story.
6. To whom does the recipient of the letter presented in Chapter 4 give the letter to decades ago?
(a) Mrs. Compson, Quentin's grandmother.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) General Compson, Quentin's grandfather.
(d) Jason Compson.
7. In what year does Stupen's marriage take place?
8. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
(a) Read books.
(b) Make saddles.
(d) Fight with his slaves.
9. After Sutpen's house is built but still unfurnished, what does Sutpen invite Jeffersonians out to Sutpen's Hundred to do?
(a) Hunt, drink, play cards, and watch slaves fight for entertainment.
(b) Help him decorate the house.
(c) Watch dog fighting.
10. Where does Thomas Sutpen get the money to build his estate?
(a) A family inheritance.
(b) No one knows.
(c) He had been a banker.
(d) He is a horse trader.
11. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Rosa Coldfield.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) Ellen Compson.
12. Where is Charles Bon buried?
(a) On the battlefield.
(b) Next to his wife.
(c) In New Orleans.
(d) In the Sutpen family plot.
13. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
(a) A Civil War battle.
(b) Her father fighting with his slaves.
(c) A horse being killed.
(d) A hanging.
14. Who currently has possession of the letter presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) Jason Compson.
(d) Henry Sutpen.
15. How does Rosa acquire what she needs to make Judith's wedding gift?
(a) She purchases it from her father's store.
(b) She steals it from her father's store.
(c) She receives it by mail-order.
(d) She receives it from Ellen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry bring home from college for Christmas one year?
2. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
3. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
4. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
5. What type of currency does Sutpen use to purchase his land?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)