Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sutpen's house is built but still unfurnished, what does Sutpen invite Jeffersonians out to Sutpen's Hundred to do?
(b) Help him decorate the house.
(c) Hunt, drink, play cards, and watch slaves fight for entertainment.
(d) Watch dog fighting.
2. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
(a) Jason Compson.
(b) Quentin Compson.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) Thomas Sutpen.
3. In what state is Jefferson located?
(b) South Carolina.
(d) New Orleans.
4. To whom is Judith engaged?
(a) Charles Bon.
(b) Thomas Compson.
(c) Charles Akers.
(d) The Methodist minister.
5. Why does Thomas Sutpen stop attending church?
(a) His son dies.
(b) He becomes ill.
(c) His wife is embarrassed about her clothes.
(d) The preacher asks him to.
6. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
(a) General Compson.
(b) Mr. Coldfield.
(c) Mr. Akers.
(d) Jefferson's hospitality committee.
7. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Henry Sutpen.
(b) Charles Bon.
(c) Judith Sutpen.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
8. What are the names of Sutpen's two daughters?
(a) Judith and Rosa.
(b) Judith and Cassandra.
(c) Judith and Ellen.
(d) Judith and Clytie.
9. Where is Ellen Sutpen at the time of Rosa's story?
(a) At home.
(b) In Connecticut.
(c) She is dead.
(d) In New Orleans.
10. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) She is his aunt.
(b) They are neighbors.
(c) She is his teacher.
(d) She is his step-sister.
11. What military conflict has Miss Coldfield lived through?
(a) The Spanish-American War.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
12. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
(a) Spanish gold.
(b) An interior designer.
(c) Luxurious furnishings for his house.
(d) Another architect.
13. What happens to Rosa Coldfield's aunt when Rosa was ten?
(a) The aunt dies.
(b) The aunt elopes.
(c) The aunt moves out to Sutpen's Hundred.
(d) The aunt is arrested and jailed.
14. Who builds Sutpen's house?
(a) The local construction company.
(b) Jefferson laborers.
(c) Sutpen and his slaves.
(d) A group of soldiers.
15. Why does Sutpen get arrested?
(a) He does not pay his taxes.
(b) He kills a man.
(c) The town believes he stole his home furnishings.
(d) He cheats Ikkemotubbe out of his land.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the recipient of the letter presented in Chapter 4 give the letter to decades ago?
2. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
3. What is the name of the woman who tells Quentin the story of Thomas Sutpen?
4. Who kills Charles Bon?
5. In what year does Stupen's marriage take place?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)