|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon hearing that Judith is engaged, what does Rosa offer to teach Judith?
(a) How to keep a ledger.
(b) How to read.
(c) How to make a wedding dress.
(d) How to keep house and manage other domestic matters.
2. What does Thomas Sutpen like to do in his barn for entertainment?
(b) Fight with his slaves.
(c) Make saddles.
(d) Read books.
3. What is the relationship between Ellen Sutpen and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) Ellen is Rosa's aunt.
4. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) She is his step-sister.
(b) She is his aunt.
(c) They are neighbors.
(d) She is his teacher.
5. Who currently has possession of the letter presented in Chapter 4?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) Jason Compson.
6. Who notifies Rosa Coldfield of Charles' death?
(a) Mrs. Compson.
(b) Henry Sutpen.
(c) Judith Sutpen
(d) Wash Jones.
7. After Sutpen's estate has been built but left unfurnished for several years, he leaves Jefferson for a short period of time. What does he return with?
(a) Another architect.
(b) Luxurious furnishings for his house.
(c) An interior designer.
(d) Spanish gold.
8. What is Mr. Coldfiled's association with Sutpen after the marriage?
(a) Mr. Coldfield is one of the townspeople who turned his back on Sutpen.
(b) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's father-in-law.
(c) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's brother-in-law.
(d) Mr. Coldfield is Sutpen's business associate.
9. What is the setting of Chapter 4?
(a) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1909.
(b) At Sutpen's Hundred in 1865.
(c) In Rosa Coldfield's office.
(d) On the Compsons' porch.
10. Why does Thomas Sutpen stop attending church?
(a) His wife is embarrassed about her clothes.
(b) His son dies.
(c) The preacher asks him to.
(d) He becomes ill.
11. Who does Henry bring home from college for Christmas one year?
(a) Charles Akers.
(b) Charles Bon.
(c) Quentin Compson.
(d) His English professor.
12. Which three characters have speaking roles in Chapter 1?
(a) Thompas Sutpen, Quentin Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
(b) Rosa Coldfield, Quentin Compson, and Mr. Compson.
(c) Quentin Compson, Mr. Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
(d) Ellen Sutpen, Rosa Coldfield, and Quentin Compson.
13. To whom does the recipient of the letter presented in Chapter 4 give the letter to decades ago?
(a) Jason Compson.
(b) Rosa Coldfield.
(c) General Compson, Quentin's grandfather.
(d) Mrs. Compson, Quentin's grandmother.
14. Who posts bond so Sutpen can be released from jail?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) One of Sutpen's slaves.
(c) Mr. Akers
(d) Mr. Coldfield and General Compson.
15. What is Rosa preparing as a wedding gift for Judith?
(a) She is making Judith's wedding dress.
(b) She is making undergarments for Judith's trousseau.
(c) She is knitting Judith a sweater.
(d) She is writing out instructions on how to cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lends Sutpen cotton seeds for his plantation?
2. What does Judith Sutpen witness as a child that her mother did not want her to see?
3. Who writes the letter that is presented in Chapter 4?
4. In what year does the novel begin?
5. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)