|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sutpen's first wife?
(a) Ellen Coldfield.
(b) The daughter of a French planter who lives in Haiti.
(c) A slave woman.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
2. Who builds Sutpen's house?
(a) The local construction company.
(b) Jefferson laborers.
(c) Sutpen and his slaves.
(d) A group of soldiers.
3. Why does Rosa leave Sutpen's estate in Chapter 5?
(a) She fights with Judith.
(b) She hates Clytie.
(c) Sutpen insults her.
(d) She does not love Sutpen.
4. After Sutpen's house is built but still unfurnished, what does Sutpen invite Jeffersonians out to Sutpen's Hundred to do?
(a) Help him decorate the house.
(c) Watch dog fighting.
(d) Hunt, drink, play cards, and watch slaves fight for entertainment.
5. What is distinctive about Jim Bond?
(a) He has no legs.
(b) He is mute.
(c) He has cancer.
(d) He is mentally handicapped.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who is the primary narrator of the Thomas Sutpen story?
2. What is the weather like the night of Sutpen's wedding?
3. After what major event does Rosa Coldfield move to Sutpen's estate?
4. Where is the visitor who Henry brings home for Christmas from?
5. Where does Thomas Sutpen go when he leaves his family as a boy?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)