1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. Why is Quentin Compson going to leave Jefferson in the fall?
(a) To move to New Orleans.
(b) To attend Harvard.
(c) To get married.
(d) To enlist in the Civil War.
3. In what state is Jefferson located?
(b) New Orleans.
(d) South Carolina.
4. What is the name of the woman who tells Quentin the story of Thomas Sutpen?
(a) Judith Sutpen.
(b) Ellen Sutpen.
(c) Ellen Coldfield.
(d) Rosa Coldfield.
5. What is the relationship between Quentin Compson and Rosa Coldfield?
(a) She is his aunt.
(b) She is his step-sister.
(c) They are neighbors.
(d) She is his teacher.
6. Which three characters have speaking roles in Chapter 1?
(a) Thompas Sutpen, Quentin Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
(b) Ellen Sutpen, Rosa Coldfield, and Quentin Compson.
(c) Rosa Coldfield, Quentin Compson, and Mr. Compson.
(d) Quentin Compson, Mr. Compson, and Ellen Coldfield.
7. Who does Thomas Sutpen marry?
(a) Ellen Coldfield.
(b) Judith Sutpen.
(c) Rosa Coldfield.
(d) Ellen Compson.
This section contains 4,506 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)