Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapters 1-3 Abstract
* Chapter 1 opens on February 1, 1951 with tanks moving in Korea.
* The unit came under fire, but troops were dazed and did not respond.
* Hackworth was with the 3rd platoon and 7 men were killed.
* Hackworth was put in charge of the unit.
* Hackworth and Van Mieter checked out the dike.
* Hackworth took Koreans prisoner, though...
This section contains 2,784 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)