|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
2. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
3. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
4. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
5. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
2. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
3. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
4. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
5. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
6. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
7. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
8. Explain the Alice Tax.
9. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
10. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calvin Trillin states that Alice takes on a caretaker role with her parents early on in life.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the type of relationship Alice has with her parents with that of Alice's relationship with her own daughters.
Part 2) Who is a better role model, Alice or Alice's mother? Why?
Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
A few years after his wife Alice's diagnosis with lung cancer, Calvin Trillin is suddenly overcome with emotion in an airport.
Part 1) Describe the event and its significance in the memoir.
Part 2) What does this event say about Trillin's ability to process his wife's illness?
Part 3) Is Trillin in denial? If so, does he admit to it?
Essay Topic 3
Is About Alice a life-affirming memoir? Why or why not? Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)