Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
2. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
3. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
4. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
5. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
Essay Topic 1
Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles?
â€¢ Compare and contrast Trillin's portrayal of his wife in About Alice to the character in his previous works.
â€¢ Include specific examples of Alice's real-life qualities, as provided in the memoir.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you discuss the Trillin family mottos of "Pull Up Your Socks" and "No Kvetching". What do these mottos say about their values? In what ways does Alice live her life in accordance with these mottos?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of money in About Alice.
Part 1) What is Alice's attitude toward spending money? (Include the Alice Tax and Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow in your response.)
Part 2) What is Calvin's attitude toward spending money? (Include Calvin's theory on writing the mortgage check.)
Compare and contrast the views of Alice and Calvin regarding money. To what extent are they products of their respective upbringings? Is money a source of conflict for them?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)