|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
2. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
3. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
4. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
5. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
Essay Topic 1
Calvin Trillin states that Alice takes on a caretaker role with her parents early on in life.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the type of relationship Alice has with her parents with that of Alice's relationship with her own daughters.
Part 2) Who is a better role model, Alice or Alice's mother? Why?
Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the concept of love between a husband and wife in About Alice. Be sure to answer the following questions:
â€¢ How does Trillin portray his love for his wife?
â€¢ How does Trillin portray Alice's love for him?
â€¢ What is unique about their marriage? Is it a marriage of equals? Why or why not?
â€¢ What statement does Trillin's memoir make about his love for her?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
A few years after his wife Alice's diagnosis with lung cancer, Calvin Trillin is suddenly overcome with emotion in an airport.
Part 1) Describe the event and its significance in the memoir.
Part 2) What does this event say about Trillin's ability to process his wife's illness?
Part 3) Is Trillin in denial? If so, does he admit to it?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)