|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
2. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
3. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
4. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
5. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
2. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
3. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
4. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
5. Explain the Alice Tax.
6. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
7. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
8. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
9. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
10. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on any one of the following aspects of Alice's beauty.
Part 1) Discuss the power and influence of Alice's beauty. How does it affect others? What opportunities does it afford her? What challenges does it bring?
Part 2) Alice is an outspoken, politically active woman who is a young woman during the time of the Feminism movement in the United States. Do you think that Alice's beauty and concern for her appearance make her unique in that context? If so, in what ways?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
A few years after his wife Alice's diagnosis with lung cancer, Calvin Trillin is suddenly overcome with emotion in an airport.
Part 1) Describe the event and its significance in the memoir.
Part 2) What does this event say about Trillin's ability to process his wife's illness?
Part 3) Is Trillin in denial? If so, does he admit to it?
Essay Topic 3
Calvin Trillin states that Alice takes on a caretaker role with her parents early on in life.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the type of relationship Alice has with her parents with that of Alice's relationship with her own daughters.
Part 2) Who is a better role model, Alice or Alice's mother? Why?
Include examples from the book.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)