|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
2. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
3. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
4. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
5. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
2. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
3. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. Explain the Alice Tax.
5. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
6. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
7. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
8. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
9. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
10. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A few years after his wife Alice's diagnosis with lung cancer, Calvin Trillin is suddenly overcome with emotion in an airport.
Part 1) Describe the event and its significance in the memoir.
Part 2) What does this event say about Trillin's ability to process his wife's illness?
Part 3) Is Trillin in denial? If so, does he admit to it?
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the major themes or subjects below from About Alice. Be sure to select a theme or subject about which you have not already written a detailed essay.
â€¢ The relationship between Calvin and Alice.
â€¢ The relationship between Alice and her parents.
â€¢ The relationship between Alice and her daughters.
â€¢ Social activism.
Be sure to include quotes from the novel that help develop the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on any one of the following aspects of Alice's beauty.
Part 1) Discuss the power and influence of Alice's beauty. How does it affect others? What opportunities does it afford her? What challenges does it bring?
Part 2) Alice is an outspoken, politically active woman who is a young woman during the time of the Feminism movement in the United States. Do you think that Alice's beauty and concern for her appearance make her unique in that context? If so, in what ways?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)