|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
2. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
3. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
4. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
5. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Alice Tax.
2. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
3. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
4. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
5. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
6. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
7. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
8. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
9. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
10. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one of the major themes or subjects below from About Alice. Be sure to select a theme or subject about which you have not already written a detailed essay.
â€¢ The relationship between Calvin and Alice.
â€¢ The relationship between Alice and her parents.
â€¢ The relationship between Alice and her daughters.
â€¢ Social activism.
Be sure to include quotes from the novel that help develop the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles?
â€¢ Compare and contrast Trillin's portrayal of his wife in About Alice to the character in his previous works.
â€¢ Include specific examples of Alice's real-life qualities, as provided in the memoir.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the levels of perseverance exhibited by Alice and Calvin.
Part 1) In what ways does Alice or Calvin exhibit perseverance?
Part 2) What keeps them hopeful?
Part 3) Do either person ever lose hope? If so, when? What is the outcome?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)