|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
2. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
3. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
4. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
5. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
2. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
3. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
4. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
5. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
6. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
7. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
8. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
9. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
10. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A few years after his wife Alice's diagnosis with lung cancer, Calvin Trillin is suddenly overcome with emotion in an airport.
Part 1) Describe the event and its significance in the memoir.
Part 2) What does this event say about Trillin's ability to process his wife's illness?
Part 3) Is Trillin in denial? If so, does he admit to it?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following essay topics:
â€¢ Is there a thesis statement in Trillin's memoir? If so, state it, along with supporting evidence.
â€¢ Discuss the parallels between Dick Francis and his wife Mary, and Calvin Trillin and his wife Alice. What is the point Trillin is making here? In what ways does he circle back to this point again and again throughout the memoir?
â€¢ Discuss the significance of Alice's statement that Trillin is "never again as funny as you are that night" (pg. 14.) Is Alice challenging her husband with this statement? If so, in what way?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the major themes or subjects below from About Alice. Be sure to select a theme or subject about which you have not already written a detailed essay.
â€¢ The relationship between Calvin and Alice.
â€¢ The relationship between Alice and her parents.
â€¢ The relationship between Alice and her daughters.
â€¢ Social activism.
Be sure to include quotes from the novel that help develop the theme.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)