|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
2. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
3. Which one of the following statements is true?
4. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
5. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
2. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
3. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
4. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
5. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
6. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
7. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
8. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
9. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
10. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Trillin's definition of an intellectual in About Alice? Why or why not?
Part 1) According to Trillin, in what ways is Alice an intellectual?
Part 2) Does Trillin believe he is intellectually superior to Alice? Why or why not?
Include specific references to the book to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the concept of love between a husband and wife in About Alice. Be sure to answer the following questions:
â€¢ How does Trillin portray his love for his wife?
â€¢ How does Trillin portray Alice's love for him?
â€¢ What is unique about their marriage? Is it a marriage of equals? Why or why not?
â€¢ What statement does Trillin's memoir make about his love for her?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write the following essay from the first person point of view of Alice Trillin.
Part 1) Discuss your views on social activism.
Part 2) Why do you care so much about certain causes? Give a list of the ones that mean the most to you, and how you go about pursuing these causes.
Part 3) What do you hope to instill in your daughters through your social activism?
Part 4) What is wrong about being passive?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)