|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alice's professional background?
2. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
3. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
4. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
5. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
2. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
3. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
4. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
5. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
6. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
7. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
8. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
9. Explain the Alice Tax.
10. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you make an argument for or against the Alice Tax. Compare and contrast the Alice Tax with Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow. Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Is About Alice a life-affirming memoir? Why or why not? Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
A few years after his wife Alice's diagnosis with lung cancer, Calvin Trillin is suddenly overcome with emotion in an airport.
Part 1) Describe the event and its significance in the memoir.
Part 2) What does this event say about Trillin's ability to process his wife's illness?
Part 3) Is Trillin in denial? If so, does he admit to it?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)