|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
2. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
3. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
4. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
5. Which one of the following statements is true?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
2. Explain the Alice Tax.
3. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
4. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
5. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
6. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
7. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
8. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
9. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
10. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Trillin's definition of an intellectual in About Alice? Why or why not?
Part 1) According to Trillin, in what ways is Alice an intellectual?
Part 2) Does Trillin believe he is intellectually superior to Alice? Why or why not?
Include specific references to the book to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Calvin Trillin's memoir about his wife Alice contains memories filtered by both time and emotion.
Part 1) Discuss how these elements affect Trillin's recollection of certain key events in his life with Alice.
Part 2) To what extent do you think this memoir is ...
â€¢ An objective portrait of Trillin's marriage?
â€¢ A collection of memories?
â€¢ A collection of emotions?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you make an argument for or against the Alice Tax. Compare and contrast the Alice Tax with Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow. Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)