|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
2. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
3. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
4. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
5. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write the following essay from the first person point of view of Alice Trillin.
Part 1) Discuss your views on social activism.
Part 2) Why do you care so much about certain causes? Give a list of the ones that mean the most to you, and how you go about pursuing these causes.
Part 3) What do you hope to instill in your daughters through your social activism?
Part 4) What is wrong about being passive?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Alice express her gratitude throughout her lifetime? What reasons does she give for being grateful? Be sure to address the following:
â€¢ How does her sense of gratitude impact others in her life?
â€¢ Do you agree with Alice's assessment that she is a lucky person?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Calvin Trillin states that Alice takes on a caretaker role with her parents early on in life.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the type of relationship Alice has with her parents with that of Alice's relationship with her own daughters.
Part 2) Who is a better role model, Alice or Alice's mother? Why?
Include examples from the book.
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)