|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
2. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
3. In what year does Alice die?
4. What does Alice's father do for a living?
5. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alice love the letter she receives from Bruno?
2. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
3. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
4. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
5. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
6. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
7. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
8. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
9. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
10. What is the headline in Alice Trillin's obituary?
Essay Topic 1
Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles?
â€¢ Compare and contrast Trillin's portrayal of his wife in About Alice to the character in his previous works.
â€¢ Include specific examples of Alice's real-life qualities, as provided in the memoir.
Essay Topic 2
Calvin Trillin's memoir about his wife Alice contains memories filtered by both time and emotion.
Part 1) Discuss how these elements affect Trillin's recollection of certain key events in his life with Alice.
Part 2) To what extent do you think this memoir is ...
â€¢ An objective portrait of Trillin's marriage?
â€¢ A collection of memories?
â€¢ A collection of emotions?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write the following essay from the first person point of view of Alice Trillin.
Part 1) Discuss your views on social activism.
Part 2) Why do you care so much about certain causes? Give a list of the ones that mean the most to you, and how you go about pursuing these causes.
Part 3) What do you hope to instill in your daughters through your social activism?
Part 4) What is wrong about being passive?
This section contains 2,199 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)