|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
2. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
3. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
4. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
5. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
2. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
3. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
4. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
5. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
6. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
7. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
8. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
9. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
10. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calvin Trillin states that Alice takes on a caretaker role with her parents early on in life.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the type of relationship Alice has with her parents with that of Alice's relationship with her own daughters.
Part 2) Who is a better role model, Alice or Alice's mother? Why?
Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write about the messages in this memoir about parenting.
Part 1) Does Calvin Trillin agree with his wife Alice about the importance of attending their children's school plays and eating dinner together? Why or why not?
Part 2) To what extent does Alice's parenting style differ from that of her husband?
Part 3) Why does Trilllin spend so much time on the subject of parenting in About Alice?
Part 4) Trillin provides brief glimpses into the points of view of Abigail and Sarah. What do their statements say about the parenting they receive?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you make an argument for or against the Alice Tax. Compare and contrast the Alice Tax with Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow. Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)