|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
2. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
3. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
5. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
2. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
3. In chapter eight, Calvin Trillin describes an event at an airport. Explain the significance of this event.
4. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
5. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
6. What unexpected event occurs in the spring of 2001?
7. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
8. Name at least two causes that Alice is passionate about.
9. Does Calvin Trillin agree with his wife Alice about the importance of attending their children's school plays and eating dinner together? Why or why not?
10. Alice lives 25 years after her initial cancer diagnosis. To what does Trillin attribute her surviving so long after being given a 10 percent chance of survival by her doctor?
Essay Topic 1
Is About Alice a life-affirming memoir? Why or why not? Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Calvin Trillin's memoir about his wife Alice contains memories filtered by both time and emotion.
Part 1) Discuss how these elements affect Trillin's recollection of certain key events in his life with Alice.
Part 2) To what extent do you think this memoir is ...
â€¢ An objective portrait of Trillin's marriage?
â€¢ A collection of memories?
â€¢ A collection of emotions?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles?
â€¢ Compare and contrast Trillin's portrayal of his wife in About Alice to the character in his previous works.
â€¢ Include specific examples of Alice's real-life qualities, as provided in the memoir.
This section contains 2,125 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)