|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
2. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
3. Calvin states that he never sees Alice read which type of magazine?
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
5. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one, Calvin Trillin states that the stories he writes about his family can be compared what kinds of television shows?
2. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
3. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
4. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
5. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
6. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
7. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
8. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
9. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
10. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calvin Trillin states that Alice takes on a caretaker role with her parents early on in life.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the type of relationship Alice has with her parents with that of Alice's relationship with her own daughters.
Part 2) Who is a better role model, Alice or Alice's mother? Why?
Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Both Abigail and Sarah grow up to have careers in social work.
â€¢ According to Trillin, which parent influence Abigail and Sarah more? Why?
â€¢ In what ways does this parent influence Abigail and Sarah?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write the following essay from the first person point of view of Alice Trillin.
Part 1) Discuss your views on social activism.
Part 2) Why do you care so much about certain causes? Give a list of the ones that mean the most to you, and how you go about pursuing these causes.
Part 3) What do you hope to instill in your daughters through your social activism?
Part 4) What is wrong about being passive?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)