|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
2. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
3. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
4. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
5. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
2. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
3. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
4. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
5. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
6. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
7. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
8. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
9. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
10. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of love between a husband and wife in About Alice. Be sure to answer the following questions:
â€¢ How does Trillin portray his love for his wife?
â€¢ How does Trillin portray Alice's love for him?
â€¢ What is unique about their marriage? Is it a marriage of equals? Why or why not?
â€¢ What statement does Trillin's memoir make about his love for her?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles?
â€¢ Compare and contrast Trillin's portrayal of his wife in About Alice to the character in his previous works.
â€¢ Include specific examples of Alice's real-life qualities, as provided in the memoir.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the secret that Alice learns from a little girl named L. at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. What special meaning does this lesson carry for Alice? In what ways is L. similar to Alice in the way she lives her life? Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)