|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
2. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
3. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
4. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
5. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
2. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
3. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
4. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
5. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
6. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
7. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
8. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
9. In chapter one, Calvin Trillin states that the stories he writes about his family can be compared what kinds of television shows?
10. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the secret that Alice learns from a little girl named L. at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. What special meaning does this lesson carry for Alice? In what ways is L. similar to Alice in the way she lives her life? Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on any one of the following aspects of Alice's beauty.
Part 1) Discuss the power and influence of Alice's beauty. How does it affect others? What opportunities does it afford her? What challenges does it bring?
Part 2) Alice is an outspoken, politically active woman who is a young woman during the time of the Feminism movement in the United States. Do you think that Alice's beauty and concern for her appearance make her unique in that context? If so, in what ways?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write the following essay from the first person point of view of Alice Trillin.
Part 1) Discuss your views on social activism.
Part 2) Why do you care so much about certain causes? Give a list of the ones that mean the most to you, and how you go about pursuing these causes.
Part 3) What do you hope to instill in your daughters through your social activism?
Part 4) What is wrong about being passive?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)