Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
2. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
3. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
5. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
2. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
3. In chapter eight, Calvin Trillin describes an event at an airport. Explain the significance of this event.
4. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
5. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
6. What unexpected event occurs in the spring of 2001?
7. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
8. Name at least two causes that Alice is passionate about.
9. Does Calvin Trillin agree with his wife Alice about the importance of attending their children's school plays and eating dinner together? Why or why not?
10. Alice lives 25 years after her initial cancer diagnosis. To what does Trillin attribute her surviving so long after being given a 10 percent chance of survival by her doctor?
Essay Topic 1
Write about the levels of perseverance exhibited by Alice and Calvin.
Part 1) In what ways does Alice or Calvin exhibit perseverance?
Part 2) What keeps them hopeful?
Part 3) Do either person ever lose hope? If so, when? What is the outcome?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Calvin Trillin states that Alice takes on a caretaker role with her parents early on in life.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the type of relationship Alice has with her parents with that of Alice's relationship with her own daughters.
Part 2) Who is a better role model, Alice or Alice's mother? Why?
Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you discuss the Trillin family mottos of "Pull Up Your Socks" and "No Kvetching". What do these mottos say about their values? In what ways does Alice live her life in accordance with these mottos?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)