|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what is Alice wearing when he sees her for the first time?
2. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
3. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
4. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
5. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
2. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
3. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
4. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
5. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
6. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
7. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
8. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
9. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
10. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calvin Trillin states that Alice takes on a caretaker role with her parents early on in life.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the type of relationship Alice has with her parents with that of Alice's relationship with her own daughters.
Part 2) Who is a better role model, Alice or Alice's mother? Why?
Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with Trillin's definition of an intellectual in About Alice? Why or why not?
Part 1) According to Trillin, in what ways is Alice an intellectual?
Part 2) Does Trillin believe he is intellectually superior to Alice? Why or why not?
Include specific references to the book to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the concept of love between a husband and wife in About Alice. Be sure to answer the following questions:
â€¢ How does Trillin portray his love for his wife?
â€¢ How does Trillin portray Alice's love for him?
â€¢ What is unique about their marriage? Is it a marriage of equals? Why or why not?
â€¢ What statement does Trillin's memoir make about his love for her?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)