|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
2. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
3. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
4. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
5. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
2. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
3. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
4. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
5. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
6. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
7. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
8. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
9. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
10. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you make an argument for or against the Alice Tax. Compare and contrast the Alice Tax with Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow. Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Is About Alice a life-affirming memoir? Why or why not? Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the messages in this memoir about parenting.
Part 1) Does Calvin Trillin agree with his wife Alice about the importance of attending their children's school plays and eating dinner together? Why or why not?
Part 2) To what extent does Alice's parenting style differ from that of her husband?
Part 3) Why does Trilllin spend so much time on the subject of parenting in About Alice?
Part 4) Trillin provides brief glimpses into the points of view of Abigail and Sarah. What do their statements say about the parenting they receive?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)