|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
2. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
3. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
4. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
5. In chapter one, Calvin includes an excerpt from a letter that Alice writes to a woman who is victimized. What Shakespeare play does she reference in her letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
2. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
3. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
4. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
5. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
6. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
7. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
8. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
9. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
10. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the secret that Alice learns from a little girl named L. at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. What special meaning does this lesson carry for Alice? In what ways is L. similar to Alice in the way she lives her life? Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles?
â€¢ Compare and contrast Trillin's portrayal of his wife in About Alice to the character in his previous works.
â€¢ Include specific examples of Alice's real-life qualities, as provided in the memoir.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following essay topics:
â€¢ Is there a thesis statement in Trillin's memoir? If so, state it, along with supporting evidence.
â€¢ Discuss the parallels between Dick Francis and his wife Mary, and Calvin Trillin and his wife Alice. What is the point Trillin is making here? In what ways does he circle back to this point again and again throughout the memoir?
â€¢ Discuss the significance of Alice's statement that Trillin is "never again as funny as you are that night" (pg. 14.) Is Alice challenging her husband with this statement? If so, in what way?
Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)