|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
2. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
3. What does Alice's father do for a living?
4. What is the headline in the magazine article in which Alice is featured as a model at the age of thirty-five?
5. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
2. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
3. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
4. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
5. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
6. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
7. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
8. Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles? Briefly describe why or why not.
9. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
10. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you make an argument for or against the Alice Tax. Compare and contrast the Alice Tax with Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow. Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
A few years after his wife Alice's diagnosis with lung cancer, Calvin Trillin is suddenly overcome with emotion in an airport.
Part 1) Describe the event and its significance in the memoir.
Part 2) What does this event say about Trillin's ability to process his wife's illness?
Part 3) Is Trillin in denial? If so, does he admit to it?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the secret that Alice learns from a little girl named L. at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. What special meaning does this lesson carry for Alice? In what ways is L. similar to Alice in the way she lives her life? Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)