|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
(a) The Yale Westchester Alumni Association.
(b) Yale Senior Society.
(c) Yale-Newhaven Hospital.
(d) Yale University.
2. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is better educated than her husband.
(b) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(c) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(d) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
3. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
(a) Four and seven.
(b) Twelve and nine.
(c) Fourteen and eighteen.
(d) Thirty-five and thirty-eight.
4. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
(a) Living With Cancer.
(b) Dear Bruno.
(c) Dragon Slayer.
(d) Of Dragons and Garden Peas.
5. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a banker.
(b) He is a grocer.
(c) He is an accountant.
(d) He is a broker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
2. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
3. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
4. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
5. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
2. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
3. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
4. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
5. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
6. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
7. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
8. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
9. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
10. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)