|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Annie Navasky.
(c) Maggie Smith.
(d) Jane Maher.
2. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) A cottage.
(b) An estate.
(c) A brownstone.
(d) An apartment.
3. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(b) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(c) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
(d) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
4. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
(a) Governor Olympia Snowe.
(b) Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
(c) Governor Mario Cuomo.
(d) Governor George Pataki.
5. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
(a) She is relatively well-off after she marries Calvin.
(b) She is the breadwinner in her marriage to Calvin.
(c) She has to make due with modest possessions after she marries Calvin.
(d) She is very wealthy after she marries Calvin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
2. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
3. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
4. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
5. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
2. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
3. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
5. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
6. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
7. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
8. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
9. Explain the Alice Tax.
10. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)