|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(a) Beautiful clothes.
(b) Fancy cars.
(d) Expensive jewelry.
2. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
(a) Alice is somewhere between uninterested and hostile when it comes to religion.
(b) Alice converts to Catholicism as an adult.
(c) Alice is a devout Jew who raises her children with traditional religious values.
(d) Alice is outspoken about her views on the importance of attending church as a family.
3. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
(a) Own a fur coat.
(b) Own a dog.
(c) Own a house.
(d) Own a white hat.
4. Which one of the following statements is true?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy is a medical technician.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy is fourteen years older than Alice.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy is a dietitian.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy is surgeon.
5. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
(b) Connecticut Woods.
(c) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
2. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
3. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
4. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
5. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
2. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
3. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
4. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
5. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
6. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
7. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
8. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
9. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
10. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)