|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
(a) People who "don't have a very nice life" are financially well off, but physically ill people who "don't have a very nice life" ware not as attractive as she.
(b) People who "don't have a very nice life" are not as lucky as Alice and Calvin.
(c) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(d) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
2. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) New Jersey.
(c) Long Island.
(d) New York City.
3. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(b) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(c) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
(d) Alice is better educated than her husband.
4. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
(a) " ... the least cool person I have ever known."
(b) " ... an intellectual in a time when women are only expected to be pretty."
(c) " ... the most loving and devoted mother in the world."
(d) " ... a role model to me and to women everywhere."
5. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
(a) Living like a graduate student.
(b) A living nightmare.
(c) Living in squalor.
(d) Living in a tree house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
2. Where does Alice once work?
3. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
4. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
5. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
2. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
3. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
4. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
5. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
6. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
7. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
8. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
9. Explain the Alice Tax.
10. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)