|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(c) Extramarital affairs.
2. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
(a) The environment.
(b) Animal rights.
(c) Foreign oil.
3. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
(a) Alice is a devout Jew who raises her children with traditional religious values.
(b) Alice converts to Catholicism as an adult.
(c) Alice is somewhere between uninterested and hostile when it comes to religion.
(d) Alice is outspoken about her views on the importance of attending church as a family.
4. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
(a) People who can't even afford a cleaning woman living in a house that has to be rented most summers to pay the taxes.
(b) People who can't even afford rent traveling to Italy.
(c) People who can't even afford sending their children to college spending money on fur coats.
(d) People who can't even afford groceries spending money on a cleaning woman.
5. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's the worst kind."
(b) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(c) "They treat that like the common cold."
(d) "That's bad."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
2. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
3. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
4. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
5. In chapter five, which movie is referenced?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
2. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
3. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. Explain the Alice Tax.
5. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
6. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
7. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
8. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
9. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
10. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)