|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(b) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
(c) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(d) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
2. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
3. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) He steals Alice's fur coat.
(b) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
(c) He breaks the banister.
(d) He does a bad job on the project.
4. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
(a) She plays inspirational songs.
(b) She plants flowers.
(c) She dresses nicely.
(d) She plays the piano.
5. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(b) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
2. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
3. What is the Alice Tax?
4. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
5. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
2. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
3. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
4. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
5. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
6. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
7. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
8. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
9. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
10. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)