|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
(a) The Daily News.
(b) The Nation.
(c) The Times.
(d) The New Yorker.
2. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
(c) Alice's father.
3. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(b) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
4. Trillin states that his goddaughter marries into a family with some involvement in what kind of industry?
5. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(a) New York City.
(b) Kansas City.
(d) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
2. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
3. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
4. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
5. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
2. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
3. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
4. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
5. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
6. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
7. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
8. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
9. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
10. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)