|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) He does a bad job on the project.
(b) He breaks the banister.
(c) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
(d) He steals Alice's fur coat.
2. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(b) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(c) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
(d) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
3. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a grocer.
(b) He is a broker.
(c) He is an accountant.
(d) He is a banker.
4. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
(a) The Nation.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) The Daily News.
(d) The Times.
5. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
(a) When she renovates her house.
(b) When she is at work.
(c) When she tells Calvin that his work on a book is not acceptable.
(d) When she tells her daughters that smoking is not an option for them to consider.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
2. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
3. Which one of the following statements is true?
4. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
5. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
2. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
3. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
4. Explain the Alice Tax.
5. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
6. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
7. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
8. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
9. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
10. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)