|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(b) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(c) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
(d) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
2. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
(a) She plays inspirational songs.
(b) She plants flowers.
(c) She plays the piano.
(d) She dresses nicely.
3. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
(a) I broke the banister.
(b) It's going to be worth the trouble. Your children grow up here.
(c) I underestimate the amount of money this project costs you.
(d) Sooner or later, we're all going to leave, and this is going to be your place.
4. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
(a) Traveling to foreign countries.
(b) Getting speeding tickets.
(c) Spending money on clothes.
(d) Cigarette companies that give young people the impression that smoking is cool.
5. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
(a) Own a fur coat.
(b) Own a house.
(c) Own a dog.
(d) Own a white hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
2. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
3. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
4. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
5. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
2. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
3. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
4. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
5. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
6. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
7. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
8. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
9. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
10. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)