|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
(a) How much it snows.
(b) How much a hotel room cost.
(c) How much it rains.
(d) How much a melon cost.
2. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
(b) Alice competes with him for a job.
(c) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(d) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
3. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) Italian-American Club.
(b) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(c) The New York Bridge Club.
(d) Tiro e Segno.
4. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Kansas City.
(c) New York City.
5. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
(a) Be more relaxed about spending money.
(b) Be more cautious about spending money.
(c) Be more generous.
(d) Be more successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
2. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
3. What is Alice's professional background?
4. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
5. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
2. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
3. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
4. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
5. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
6. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
7. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
8. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
9. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
10. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)