|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
(a) Animal rights.
(c) Foreign oil.
(d) The environment.
2. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
(a) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(b) People who "don't have a very nice life" are financially well off, but physically ill people who "don't have a very nice life" ware not as attractive as she.
(c) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(d) People who "don't have a very nice life" are not as lucky as Alice and Calvin.
3. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(b) Italian-American Club.
(c) The New York Bridge Club.
(d) Tiro e Segno.
4. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
(a) Jane Maher.
(b) Annie Navasky.
(c) Maggie Smith.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy.
5. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
(a) After a certain level of income, the government should take everything.
(b) Things like perfume, clothing, and jewelry should be purchased with money from her own paychecks.
(c) Any money not spent on a luxury you can't afford is the equivalent of windfall income.
(d) A tax theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
2. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
3. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
4. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
5. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
2. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
3. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
4. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
5. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
6. Explain the Alice Tax.
7. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
8. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
9. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
10. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)