|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
(a) They complain to hotel management.
(b) They check out and immediately go home.
(c) They make the best of it.
(d) They move to another hotel.
2. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a grocer.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He is an accountant.
(d) He is a broker.
3. In chapter five, which movie is referenced?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Pretty Woman.
(c) My Best Friend's Wedding.
(d) Guys and Dolls.
4. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
(a) Thirty-five and thirty-eight.
(b) Four and seven.
(c) Twelve and nine.
(d) Fourteen and eighteen.
5. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
2. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
3. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
4. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
5. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
2. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
3. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
5. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
6. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
7. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
8. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
9. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
10. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)