|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(a) A cigarette smoking lounge.
(d) A cigarette smoking ban.
2. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is an accountant.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He is a broker.
(d) He is a grocer.
3. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(b) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(c) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(d) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
4. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
(a) Own a fur coat.
(b) Own a dog.
(c) Own a house.
(d) Own a white hat.
5. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
(a) They complain to hotel management.
(b) They move to another hotel.
(c) They check out and immediately go home.
(d) They make the best of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
2. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
3. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
4. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
5. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
2. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
3. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
4. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
5. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
6. Explain the Alice Tax.
7. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
8. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
9. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
10. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)