|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) The New York Bridge Club.
(b) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(c) Tiro e Segno.
(d) Italian-American Club.
2. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(a) A cigarette smoking lounge.
(b) A cigarette smoking ban.
3. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a broker.
(b) He is a grocer.
(c) He is a banker.
(d) He is an accountant.
4. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(a) Fancy cars.
(b) Beautiful clothes.
(d) Expensive jewelry.
5. Which one of the following statements is true?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy is surgeon.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy is fourteen years older than Alice.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy is a dietitian.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy is a medical technician.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
2. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
3. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
4. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
5. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
2. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
3. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
4. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
5. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
6. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
7. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
8. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
9. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
10. Explain the Alice Tax.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)