|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
(c) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
(d) Connecticut Woods.
2. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(b) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
3. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) A brownstone.
(b) An estate.
(c) An apartment.
(d) A cottage.
4. In chapter five, which movie is referenced?
(a) Pretty Woman.
(b) My Best Friend's Wedding.
(c) Guys and Dolls.
(d) Alice in Wonderland.
5. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(a) A cigarette smoking ban.
(b) A cigarette smoking lounge.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
2. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
3. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
4. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
5. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
2. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
3. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
4. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
5. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
6. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
7. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
8. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
9. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
10. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)