|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
(b) He steals Alice's fur coat.
(c) He breaks the banister.
(d) He does a bad job on the project.
2. Which one of the following statements is true?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy is fourteen years older than Alice.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy is surgeon.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy is a dietitian.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy is a medical technician.
3. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York City.
4. What is Alice's professional background?
(a) Alice is a film editor.
(b) Alice is a model and actress.
(c) Alice is a politician.
(d) Alice is an English professor.
5. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
(a) Someone whose instinct is to analyze anything that happens and try to make some sense of it.
(b) Someone who knows how to translate heuristics.
(c) Someone who knows the definition of holistic.
(d) Someone who knows the definition of holistic. Someone who translates fluently from the Toltec.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
2. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
3. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
4. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
5. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
2. Explain the Alice Tax.
3. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
4. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
5. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
6. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
7. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
8. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
9. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
10. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)