|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(a) San Francisco.
(d) New York City.
2. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
(b) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(c) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(d) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
3. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
4. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
(b) He begins to feel scared.
(c) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
(d) He has new reason to hope.
5. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(a) A cigarette smoking lounge.
(c) A cigarette smoking ban.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
2. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
3. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
4. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
5. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
2. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
3. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
4. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
5. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
6. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
7. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
8. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
9. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
10. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)