|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York City.
(d) Kansas City.
2. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
(b) Use it for their wedding.
(c) Buy her a fur coat.
(d) Put it in their children's college fund.
3. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(c) New York City.
(d) San Francisco.
4. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) A brownstone.
(b) An estate.
(c) A cottage.
(d) An apartment.
5. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(a) Beautiful clothes.
(b) Expensive jewelry.
(d) Fancy cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
2. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
3. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
4. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
5. Where does Alice once work?
Short Essay Questions
1. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
2. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
3. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
4. Explain the Alice Tax.
5. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
6. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
7. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
8. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
9. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
10. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)