|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
(a) Long Island.
(b) New York City.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) New Jersey.
2. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) Long Island.
(d) Greenwich Village.
3. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(b) Fancy cars.
(c) Beautiful clothes.
(d) Expensive jewelry.
4. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
5. Trillin states that his goddaughter marries into a family with some involvement in what kind of industry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
2. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
3. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
4. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
5. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
2. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
3. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
4. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
5. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
6. Explain the Alice Tax.
7. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
8. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
9. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
10. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)