|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
(a) Four and seven.
(b) Fourteen and eighteen.
(c) Thirty-five and thirty-eight.
(d) Twelve and nine.
2. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
3. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) An apartment.
(b) An estate.
(c) A brownstone.
(d) A cottage.
4. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York City.
5. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
(a) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
(b) Connecticut Woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
2. What is Alice's professional background?
3. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
4. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
5. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Alice Tax.
2. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
3. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
4. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
5. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
6. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
7. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
8. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
9. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
10. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)