|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(b) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
(c) Alice competes with him for a job.
(d) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
2. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's the worst kind."
(b) "They treat that like the common cold."
(c) "That's bad."
(d) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
3. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
(a) Someone who knows the definition of holistic.
(b) Someone who knows the definition of holistic. Someone who translates fluently from the Toltec.
(c) Someone whose instinct is to analyze anything that happens and try to make some sense of it.
(d) Someone who knows how to translate heuristics.
4. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
(a) She plants flowers.
(b) She plays the piano.
(c) She dresses nicely.
(d) She plays inspirational songs.
5. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) A brownstone.
(b) A cottage.
(c) An estate.
(d) An apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
2. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
3. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
4. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
5. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
2. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
3. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
4. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
5. What reasons does Mina Shaughnessy give to justify her choice of clothing?
6. Explain the Alice Tax.
7. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
8. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
9. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
10. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)