|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter five, which movie is referenced?
(a) Guys and Dolls.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) Pretty Woman.
(d) My Best Friend's Wedding.
2. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
(a) When she is at work.
(b) When she tells Calvin that his work on a book is not acceptable.
(c) When she renovates her house.
(d) When she tells her daughters that smoking is not an option for them to consider.
3. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) The New York Bridge Club.
(b) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(c) Italian-American Club.
(d) Tiro e Segno.
4. What is Alice's professional background?
(a) Alice is a film editor.
(b) Alice is an English professor.
(c) Alice is a politician.
(d) Alice is a model and actress.
5. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "They treat that like the common cold."
(b) "That's the worst kind."
(c) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(d) "That's bad."
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
2. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
3. What is the Alice Tax?
4. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
5. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
2. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
3. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
5. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
6. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
7. Explain the Alice Tax.
8. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
9. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
10. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)