|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's bad."
(b) "That's the worst kind."
(c) "They treat that like the common cold."
(d) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
2. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(b) New York City.
(c) Kansas City.
(d) San Francisco.
3. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
(a) She hates cigarettes.
(b) She fights for smoker's rights.
(c) She promotes the idea of cigarette lounges in New York City.
(d) She is a chain-smoker.
4. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
(a) Living With Cancer.
(b) Dear Bruno.
(c) Dragon Slayer.
(d) Of Dragons and Garden Peas.
5. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is better educated than her husband.
(b) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(c) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(d) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
2. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
3. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
4. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
5. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Alice ever exercise restraint when it comes to controversial subjects?
2. Why does Alice believe that "Herbie" deserves to be paid more than what he originally quoted for his contracting services?
3. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
4. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
5. In chapter five, following Alice's bypass operation, what warning does Alice's surgeon give Calvin Trillin?
6. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
7. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
8. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
9. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
10. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)