|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Jane Maher.
(c) Maggie Smith.
(d) Annie Navasky.
2. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
(a) To wear during the cold New York City winters.
(b) To wear during the cold Nova Scotia winters.
(c) To wear to a fashion show.
(d) To wear on a trip to Alaska.
3. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
(a) Of Dragons and Garden Peas.
(b) Dear Bruno.
(c) Living With Cancer.
(d) Dragon Slayer.
4. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(b) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(c) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(d) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
5. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
(a) Maggie Smith.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(c) Jane Maher.
(d) Annie Navasky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
2. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
3. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
4. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
5. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Alice Tax.
2. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
3. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
4. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
5. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
6. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
7. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
8. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
9. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
10. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)