|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alice once work?
(a) Ford Modeling Agency.
(c) Random House.
(d) Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital
2. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Annie Navasky.
(c) Jane Maher.
(d) Maggie Smith.
3. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
(b) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(c) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(d) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
4. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is an accountant.
(b) He is a broker.
(c) He is a banker.
(d) He is a grocer.
5. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Put it in their children's college fund.
(b) Buy her a fur coat.
(c) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
(d) Use it for their wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following statements is true?
2. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
3. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
4. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
5. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Calvin Trillin's father to Alice's.
2. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
3. In chapter four, do you think Calvin Trillin is wise to not to take the advice of his colleague?
4. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
5. Explain the Alice Tax.
6. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
7. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
8. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
9. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
10. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)