|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
(b) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(d) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
2. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(b) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(c) Her best friend's grave.
(d) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
3. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
(a) Alice's father is realistic, responsible man.
(b) Alice's father is pessimistic and irresponsible.
(c) Alice's father is a sweet, optimistic man.
(d) Alice's father is cold and tightfisted with his money.
4. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A biography.
(b) A collection of comic short stories.
(c) A mystery novel.
(d) A romance novel.
5. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
(a) It saves Calvin time.
(b) Calvin thinks it gives her an opportunity to improve her own writing.
(c) Calvin values Alice's opinion and wants to impress her.
(d) Calvin does not trust his editor at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
2. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
3. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
5. Where does Alice attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
2. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
3. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
4. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
5. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
6. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
7. Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles? Briefly describe why or why not.
8. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
9. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
10. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)