|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
(a) Alice is Irish.
(b) Alice is European.
(c) Alice is Jewish.
(d) Alice is Swedish.
2. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
(a) It saves Calvin time.
(b) Calvin thinks it gives her an opportunity to improve her own writing.
(c) Calvin does not trust his editor at work.
(d) Calvin values Alice's opinion and wants to impress her.
3. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
(b) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
(c) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
(d) Alice's beauty involves complications.
4. Where does Alice's father grow up?
(a) Rural North Carolina.
(b) Nova Scotia.
(c) New York City.
(d) New York's Westchester County.
5. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(b) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(c) His reluctance to speak.
(d) His dumb luck and good looks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
2. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
3. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
4. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
5. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
2. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
3. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
4. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
5. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
6. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
7. Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles? Briefly describe why or why not.
8. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
9. In chapter one, Calvin Trillin states that the stories he writes about his family can be compared what kinds of television shows?
10. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)