|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
(a) Alice is not popular in school. She is the class brain and is virtually never asked out.
(b) Alice is a pampered and wealthy girl who is captain of her cheerleading team.
(c) Alice is poor and lives in squalor in a basement apartment in New York City.
(d) Alice is spoiled. She grows up in a house with a backyard swimming pool and a basement bowling alley.
2. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
(a) Alice takes out bank loans to pay for her cancer treatment.
(b) Alice takes out bank loans to finance her work with disadvantaged students.
(c) Alice takes out bank loans to invest in her father's vending machine invention.
(d) Alice takes out bank loans to tide her father over when he is low on money.
3. What is the first thing that strikes Calvin about Alice when he sees her for the first time?
(a) Alice is so very pretty.
(b) Alice is opinionated.
(c) Alice looks more alive than anyone he sees.
(d) Alice is talkative.
4. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(b) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(c) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(d) Her best friend's grave.
5. In chapter one, Calvin includes an excerpt from a letter that Alice writes to a woman who is victimized. What Shakespeare play does she reference in her letter?
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) King Lear.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
2. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
3. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
4. What is Alice's maiden name?
5. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
2. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
3. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
4. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
5. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
6. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
7. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
8. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
9. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
10. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)