|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
(a) The hat and the punch bowl.
(b) The food and the beverages.
(c) The hat and the pipe smoke.
(d) The pipe smoke and the glow.
2. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
(a) Alice grows up in New York City and New Jersey.
(b) Alice grows up in Greenhaven and Harrison, New York.
(c) Alice grows up in North Carolina and Long Island.
(d) Alice grows up in Greenwich and Nova Scotia.
3. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
(a) Isabelle Alice.
4. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
(b) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
(c) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
(d) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
5. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
(a) A World War II nurse.
(b) A dietitian in sensible shoes.
(c) A lass from Generation X.
(d) A fast driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alice's father grow up?
2. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
3. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
5. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
2. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
3. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
4. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
5. What is Alice's attitude toward cigarettes?
6. Calvin Trillin states that his wife Alice is a positive role model to their two daughters. Does he believe he is as good of a role model to them? Briefly describe Trillin's views on the subject.
7. In chapter eight, Calvin Trillin describes an event at an airport. Explain the significance of this event.
8. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
9. Describe some characteristics about Calvin Trillin's wife Alice that makes her a controversial person.
10. In what ways does the author reveal the effects of time and other factors on his memories?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)