|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
(c) "Where is my camera?"
2. In what year does Alice die?
3. Where does Alice's father grow up?
(a) Rural North Carolina.
(b) New York City.
(c) New York's Westchester County.
(d) Nova Scotia.
4. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
(a) Alice's father is realistic, responsible man.
(b) Alice's father is pessimistic and irresponsible.
(c) Alice's father is cold and tightfisted with his money.
(d) Alice's father is a sweet, optimistic man.
5. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
(d) Guys with pipes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
2. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
3. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
4. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
5. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
2. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
3. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
4. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
5. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
6. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
7. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
8. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
9. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
10. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)