|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
(a) Alice's mother is a novelist.
(b) Alice's mother is a teacher.
(c) Alice's mother is a secretary.
(d) Alice's mother is a model.
2. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A rough draft in need of edits.
(b) A winning job interview.
(c) A boring college lecture.
(d) A desperate comedy routine.
3. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
(a) The pipe smoke and the glow.
(b) The hat and the punch bowl.
(c) The food and the beverages.
(d) The hat and the pipe smoke.
4. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
(a) The goofball.
(b) The cancer victim.
(c) The wicked witch.
(d) The voice of reason.
5. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(a) Times Magazine.
(b) The New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
2. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
3. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
4. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
5. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
2. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
3. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
4. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
5. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
6. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
7. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
8. In chapter one, Calvin Trillin states that the stories he writes about his family can be compared what kinds of television shows?
9. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
10. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)