|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A collection of comic short stories.
(b) A mystery novel.
(c) A romance novel.
(d) A biography.
2. In what year does Alice die?
3. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
(a) April 1965.
(b) December 1963.
(c) August 1990.
(d) December 1976.
4. What is the headline in the magazine article in which Alice is featured as a model at the age of thirty-five?
(a) The picture of health.
(b) College instructor, mother and wife.
(c) The beauty and the brain.
(d) About Alice.
5. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
(c) Times Magazine.
(d) The New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
2. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
3. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
4. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
5. What is Alice's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
2. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
3. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
4. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
5. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
6. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
7. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
8. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
9. In chapter one, Calvin Trillin states that the stories he writes about his family can be compared what kinds of television shows?
10. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)