|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
(a) Lung cancer.
(b) Ovarian cancer.
2. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's intellectualism.
(b) Alice's 50th birthday.
(c) Alice's views on taxation.
(d) Alice's 61st birthday.
3. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice takes care of her mother.
(b) Alice leans on her mother.
(c) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(d) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
4. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A desperate comedy routine.
(b) A winning job interview.
(c) A boring college lecture.
(d) A rough draft in need of edits.
5. At which institution does Alice teach English in her mid-twenties?
(a) Yale University.
(b) New York University.
(c) Hofstra Universtity.
(d) Wellesley College.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written on the envelope in which Alice keeps special items?
2. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
3. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
4. What is Alice's maiden name?
5. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the concept of talismans in the book.
2. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
3. True or false: Alice shies away from taboo subjects. Explain your answer.
4. In chapter eight, Calvin Trillin describes an event at an airport. Explain the significance of this event.
5. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
6. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
7. What is the SEEK program? Why is it important to Alice?
8. In chapter six, explain Calvin Trillin's theory about the person who makes out the mortgage check in a marriage.
9. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
10. In chapter seven, Trillin recalls a time when Abigail and Sarah Trillin are living far from New York. Where are they living, and why does Alice consider moving closer to them?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)