|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
(a) A photo of Alice teaching in a classroom. It is taken when she is in her thirties.
(b) A photo of Alice gardening. It is taken when she is in her forties.
(c) A photo of Alice wearing a hat. It is taken when she is in her twenties.
(d) A photo of Alice taken in Italy. It is taken when she is in her fifties.
2. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) Hofstra University.
(b) City University of New York.
(c) Wellesley College.
(d) New York University.
3. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(b) Her best friend's grave.
(c) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(d) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
4. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
(a) On his desk.
(b) On his mantle.
(c) On his living room wall.
(d) On his bedside table.
5. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
(a) Alice is not asked for her identification at a bar.
(b) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer, and receives a ticket.
(c) Alice does not remember how to get home from the plant nursery.
(d) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer and does not receive a ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
2. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
3. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
4. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
5. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
2. In chapter one, Calvin Trillin states that the stories he writes about his family can be compared what kinds of television shows?
3. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
4. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
5. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
6. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
7. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
8. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
9. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
10. Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles? Briefly describe why or why not.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)