|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
(a) A photo of Alice teaching in a classroom. It is taken when she is in her thirties.
(b) A photo of Alice gardening. It is taken when she is in her forties.
(c) A photo of Alice wearing a hat. It is taken when she is in her twenties.
(d) A photo of Alice taken in Italy. It is taken when she is in her fifties.
2. At which institution does Alice teach English in her mid-twenties?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Wellesley College.
(c) Hofstra Universtity.
(d) New York University.
3. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
(a) The year before Alice's bypass surgery.
(b) The year Alice is diagnosed with lung cancer.
(c) A year before Alice dies.
(d) A year after Alice dies.
4. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
(b) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
(c) Alice's beauty involves complications.
(d) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
5. What is the first thing that strikes Calvin about Alice when he sees her for the first time?
(a) Alice is so very pretty.
(b) Alice is opinionated.
(c) Alice is talkative.
(d) Alice looks more alive than anyone he sees.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
2. What is the headline in the magazine article in which Alice is featured as a model at the age of thirty-five?
3. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
4. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
5. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
2. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
3. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
4. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
5. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
6. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
7. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
8. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
9. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
10. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)