|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Alice die?
2. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
(a) December 1976.
(b) April 1965.
(c) December 1963.
(d) August 1990.
3. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
(a) Isabelle Alice.
4. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
5. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
(a) A book.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A pen.
(d) A cigarette.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
2. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
3. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
4. What is the first thing that strikes Calvin about Alice when he sees her for the first time?
5. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
2. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
3. In chapter one, Calvin Trillin states that the stories he writes about his family can be compared what kinds of television shows?
4. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
5. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
6. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
7. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
8. Describe Calvin Trillin's father-in-law.
9. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
10. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)