|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
(a) Alice is Jewish.
(b) Alice is Swedish.
(c) Alice is European.
(d) Alice is Irish.
2. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(b) Alice leans on her mother.
(c) Alice takes care of her mother.
(d) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
3. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Nora Ephron.
(c) Mary Francis.
(d) Alice's father.
4. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
(a) Alice's father is realistic, responsible man.
(b) Alice's father is cold and tightfisted with his money.
(c) Alice's father is pessimistic and irresponsible.
(d) Alice's father is a sweet, optimistic man.
5. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
(a) Alice Trillin.
(b) Nora Ephron.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
2. What does Alice's father do for a living?
3. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
4. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
5. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Alice Tax.
2. Describe what Alice means when she says that someone "doesn't have a nice life."
3. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
4. According to Calvin Trillin, what makes a person an intellectual?
5. Describe the concept of talismans in the book.
6. Discuss Calvin Trillin's use of humor in this memoir.
7. Why is Calvin Trillin motivated to write a memoir about his wife Alice?
8. What is the one thing that Alice forbids her teenage daughters from doing?
9. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
10. Alice believes that all people are capable of learning and can be taught new things, regardless of their background, provided they have the desire. Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)