Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's intellectualism.
(b) Alice's 50th birthday.
(c) Alice's 61st birthday.
(d) Alice's views on taxation.
2. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
(a) Alice grows up in New York City and New Jersey.
(b) Alice grows up in Greenhaven and Harrison, New York.
(c) Alice grows up in North Carolina and Long Island.
(d) Alice grows up in Greenwich and Nova Scotia.
3. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
(a) The goofball.
(b) The wicked witch.
(c) The voice of reason.
(d) The cancer victim.
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Mary Francis.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(c) Alice's father.
(d) Nora Ephron.
5. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
(a) August 1990.
(b) December 1963.
(c) April 1965.
(d) December 1976.
Short Answer Questions
1. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
2. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
3. Where does Alice attend college?
4. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
5. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Calvin Trillin and Alice lucky?
2. Describe the Trillins' trip to Japan. What does their disagreement say about their marriage?
3. In chapter eight, Calvin Trillin describes an event at an airport. Explain the significance of this event.
4. Why does Calvin Trillin show his wife Alice his rough drafts?
5. Why does Alice think that marrying Calvin Trillin means she has to live a modest lifestyle?
6. What unexpected event occurs in the spring of 2001?
7. What is Alice's attitude toward spending money?
8. Name at least two causes that Alice is passionate about.
9. Does Calvin Trillin agree with his wife Alice about the importance of attending their children's school plays and eating dinner together? Why or why not?
10. Alice lives 25 years after her initial cancer diagnosis. To what does Trillin attribute her surviving so long after being given a 10 percent chance of survival by her doctor?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)