|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
(a) Alice grows up in Greenwich and Nova Scotia.
(b) Alice grows up in Greenhaven and Harrison, New York.
(c) Alice grows up in New York City and New Jersey.
(d) Alice grows up in North Carolina and Long Island.
2. At which institution does Alice teach English in her mid-twenties?
(a) Yale University.
(b) New York University.
(c) Wellesley College.
(d) Hofstra Universtity.
3. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
(a) Richard Harris.
(b) Roger Wilkins.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Dick Francis.
4. How many siblings does Alice have?
(a) Alice has two sisters.
(b) Alice has a twin sister.
(c) Alice has a brother and a sister.
(d) None, Alice is an only child.
5. In what year does Alice die?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
2. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
3. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
4. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
5. In chapter one, Calvin includes an excerpt from a letter that Alice writes to a woman who is victimized. What Shakespeare play does she reference in her letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
2. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
3. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
4. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
5. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
6. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
7. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
8. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
9. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
10. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)