|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alice's father first meet Alice's mother?
(a) The Empire State Building.
(b) At a swimming pool.
(c) Greenwich Village.
(d) At a bowling alley.
2. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
(c) Ovarian cancer.
(d) Lung cancer.
3. What is Alice's maiden name?
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Nora Ephron.
(c) Mary Francis.
(d) Alice's father.
5. How many siblings does Alice have?
(a) Alice has a brother and a sister.
(b) None, Alice is an only child.
(c) Alice has two sisters.
(d) Alice has a twin sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
2. Alice tells her husband that he peaks in which year?
3. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
4. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
5. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
2. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
3. In what ways are Alice's looks, coupled with the superficial facts about her background, misleading?
4. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
5. Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles? Briefly describe why or why not.
6. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
7. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
8. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin draws a parallel in the relationship between the novelist Dick Francis and his late wife Mary and Trillin's own marriage to Alice. Explain.
9. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
10. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)