|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Alice die?
2. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
(a) Nora Ephron.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(c) Alice Trillin.
3. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
(a) The New Yorker.
(c) Times Magazine.
4. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
(a) Dick Francis.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(c) Roger Wilkins.
(d) Richard Harris.
5. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
(a) On his mantle.
(b) On his bedside table.
(c) On his living room wall.
(d) On his desk.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
2. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
3. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
4. What is the first thing that strikes Calvin about Alice when he sees her for the first time?
5. What is written on the envelope in which Alice keeps special items?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
2. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
3. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
4. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
5. Chapter three contains two humorous poems about Alice. What theme do they share?
6. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
7. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
8. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
9. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
10. Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles? Briefly describe why or why not.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)