|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
(a) Stray animals.
(b) Alice's parents.
(c) Alice's children.
(d) Cancer patients.
2. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
3. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
(a) Alice's father is realistic, responsible man.
(b) Alice's father is cold and tightfisted with his money.
(c) Alice's father is pessimistic and irresponsible.
(d) Alice's father is a sweet, optimistic man.
4. At which institution does Alice teach English in her mid-twenties?
(a) Yale University.
(b) New York University.
(c) Hofstra Universtity.
(d) Wellesley College.
5. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(b) Times Magazine.
(d) The New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
2. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
3. What is the headline in the magazine article in which Alice is featured as a model at the age of thirty-five?
4. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
5. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
2. In chapter three, Calvin Trillin explains that Alice's role as caretaker to her parents has a positive impact on her life. How?
3. In chapter one, Calvin Trillin states that the stories he writes about his family can be compared what kinds of television shows?
4. In chapter one, the reader learns that there is one condolence letter that makes Calvin Trillin laugh. Why?
5. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
6. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
7. In chapter two, Calvin Trillin reveals that he never stops trying to impress his wife Alice. Give an example of this.
8. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
9. According to Calvin Trillin, Alice's beauty gives her some advantages. Explain.
10. In what ways is Alice's beauty a hardship?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)