|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calvin states that he never sees Alice read which type of magazine?
2. What is Alice's maiden name?
3. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
(a) The food and the beverages.
(b) The pipe smoke and the glow.
(c) The hat and the punch bowl.
(d) The hat and the pipe smoke.
4. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
(b) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(c) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
(d) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
5. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
2. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
3. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
4. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
5. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice keep in her Important Things envelope? Why are the things inside it so important to her?
2. What is one positive quality that Alice inherits from her father? Why do you think this quality is especially beneficial to Alice?
3. Does Alice believe she is accurately portrayed in Trillin's books and articles? Briefly describe why or why not.
4. When Calvin Trillin describes the first time he sees Alice in chapter two, what does he say is the first thing that strikes him about her? Is it simply her attractiveness, or something else?
5. In chapter one, Trillin reveals that although his readers become familiar with Alice as a sensible, somewhat serious character in his books and articles, they never really know her. Why?
6. In what ways do you think Alice serves as Calvin Trillin's muse? Include characteristics that inspire his writing.
7. What are some of the adversities Alice faces throughout her life?
8. In chapter three, why does Alice accept the request to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
9. Calvin Trillin states that from the day he meets Alice, he never stops trying to impress her. Why?
10. What event causes Alice to feel as though she loses her looks?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)