|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
(a) Sooner or later, we're all going to leave, and this is going to be your place.
(b) I underestimate the amount of money this project costs you.
(c) It's going to be worth the trouble. Your children grow up here.
(d) I broke the banister.
2. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
(a) Be more cautious about spending money.
(b) Be more generous.
(c) Be more relaxed about spending money.
(d) Be more successful.
3. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Buy her a fur coat.
(b) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
(c) Use it for their wedding.
(d) Put it in their children's college fund.
4. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
5. Which one of the following statements is true?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy is a dietitian.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy is fourteen years older than Alice.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy is surgeon.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy is a medical technician.
6. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
(b) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(c) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(d) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
7. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice competes with him for a job.
(b) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(c) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
(d) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
8. What is Alice's professional background?
(a) Alice is a politician.
(b) Alice is a model and actress.
(c) Alice is a film editor.
(d) Alice is an English professor.
9. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
(a) To wear to a fashion show.
(b) To wear during the cold Nova Scotia winters.
(c) To wear during the cold New York City winters.
(d) To wear on a trip to Alaska.
10. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
(a) When she is at work.
(b) When she tells her daughters that smoking is not an option for them to consider.
(c) When she tells Calvin that his work on a book is not acceptable.
(d) When she renovates her house.
11. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
(a) People who can't even afford a cleaning woman living in a house that has to be rented most summers to pay the taxes.
(b) People who can't even afford groceries spending money on a cleaning woman.
(c) People who can't even afford rent traveling to Italy.
(d) People who can't even afford sending their children to college spending money on fur coats.
12. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(b) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
13. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York City.
14. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's the worst kind."
(b) "They treat that like the common cold."
(c) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(d) "That's bad."
15. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(b) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
(c) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(d) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
2. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
3. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
4. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
5. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)