|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
(a) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
(d) Connecticut Woods.
2. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
(a) Alice converts to Catholicism as an adult.
(b) Alice is somewhere between uninterested and hostile when it comes to religion.
(c) Alice is outspoken about her views on the importance of attending church as a family.
(d) Alice is a devout Jew who raises her children with traditional religious values.
3. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(b) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(c) Alice is better educated than her husband.
(d) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
4. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York City.
5. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
6. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
(a) " ... the least cool person I have ever known."
(b) " ... an intellectual in a time when women are only expected to be pretty."
(c) " ... the most loving and devoted mother in the world."
(d) " ... a role model to me and to women everywhere."
7. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
(a) They move to another hotel.
(b) They check out and immediately go home.
(c) They complain to hotel management.
(d) They make the best of it.
8. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
(a) Living like a graduate student.
(b) Living in a tree house.
(c) A living nightmare.
(d) Living in squalor.
9. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(a) Kansas City.
(b) New York City.
(d) San Francisco.
10. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
11. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's the worst kind."
(b) "They treat that like the common cold."
(c) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(d) "That's bad."
12. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
(a) How much it snows.
(b) How much it rains.
(c) How much a melon cost.
(d) How much a hotel room cost.
13. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(b) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
(c) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(d) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
14. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) Tiro e Segno.
(b) The New York Bridge Club.
(c) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(d) Italian-American Club.
15. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Use it for their wedding.
(b) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
(c) Put it in their children's college fund.
(d) Buy her a fur coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
2. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
3. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
4. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
5. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)