|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
(a) How much a hotel room cost.
(b) How much it snows.
(c) How much it rains.
(d) How much a melon cost.
2. Where does Alice once work?
(a) Random House.
(c) Ford Modeling Agency.
(d) Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital
3. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) Tiro e Segno.
(b) Italian-American Club.
(c) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(d) The New York Bridge Club.
4. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
(c) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
(d) Connecticut Woods.
5. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(b) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
(c) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(d) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
6. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
(a) Be more cautious about spending money.
(b) Be more relaxed about spending money.
(c) Be more generous.
(d) Be more successful.
7. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(a) A cigarette smoking lounge.
(d) A cigarette smoking ban.
8. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
(a) A living nightmare.
(b) Living in a tree house.
(c) Living like a graduate student.
(d) Living in squalor.
9. What is Alice's professional background?
(a) Alice is a film editor.
(b) Alice is an English professor.
(c) Alice is a model and actress.
(d) Alice is a politician.
10. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
(a) Animal rights.
(c) Foreign oil.
(d) The environment.
11. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(b) Fancy cars.
(c) Expensive jewelry.
(d) Beautiful clothes.
12. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(a) Long Island.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) Greenwich Village.
13. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
(b) Alice's father.
14. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
(a) People who "don't have a very nice life" are financially well off, but physically ill people who "don't have a very nice life" ware not as attractive as she.
(b) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(c) People who "don't have a very nice life" are not as lucky as Alice and Calvin.
(d) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
15. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) An estate.
(b) A brownstone.
(c) A cottage.
(d) An apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
2. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
3. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
4. Which one of the following statements is true?
5. Trillin states that his goddaughter marries into a family with some involvement in what kind of industry?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)