|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
(b) He has new reason to hope.
(c) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
(d) He begins to feel scared.
2. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(b) Kansas City.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New York City.
3. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
(a) She is relatively well-off after she marries Calvin.
(b) She is the breadwinner in her marriage to Calvin.
(c) She has to make due with modest possessions after she marries Calvin.
(d) She is very wealthy after she marries Calvin.
4. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) Italian-American Club.
(b) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(c) Tiro e Segno.
(d) The New York Bridge Club.
5. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
(a) Alice is outspoken about her views on the importance of attending church as a family.
(b) Alice converts to Catholicism as an adult.
(c) Alice is a devout Jew who raises her children with traditional religious values.
(d) Alice is somewhere between uninterested and hostile when it comes to religion.
6. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(b) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(c) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
(d) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
7. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
(a) Someone who knows how to translate heuristics.
(b) Someone who knows the definition of holistic.
(c) Someone who knows the definition of holistic. Someone who translates fluently from the Toltec.
(d) Someone whose instinct is to analyze anything that happens and try to make some sense of it.
8. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
(a) Jane Maher.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(c) Maggie Smith.
(d) Annie Navasky.
9. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Julie Andrews.
(b) Emma Roberts.
(c) Julia Roberts.
(d) Paul Newman.
10. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
(a) She plants flowers.
(b) She plays inspirational songs.
(c) She dresses nicely.
(d) She plays the piano.
11. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
(a) Dragon Slayer.
(b) Living With Cancer.
(c) Dear Bruno.
(d) Of Dragons and Garden Peas.
12. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
13. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
(a) Twelve and nine.
(b) Fourteen and eighteen.
(c) Thirty-five and thirty-eight.
(d) Four and seven.
14. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Maggie Smith.
(c) Jane Maher.
(d) Annie Navasky.
15. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
(a) She fights for smoker's rights.
(b) She hates cigarettes.
(c) She is a chain-smoker.
(d) She promotes the idea of cigarette lounges in New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
2. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
3. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
4. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
5. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)