|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
(a) Spending money on clothes.
(b) Getting speeding tickets.
(c) Cigarette companies that give young people the impression that smoking is cool.
(d) Traveling to foreign countries.
2. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
(a) Things like perfume, clothing, and jewelry should be purchased with money from her own paychecks.
(b) A tax theory.
(c) After a certain level of income, the government should take everything.
(d) Any money not spent on a luxury you can't afford is the equivalent of windfall income.
3. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(b) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(c) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(d) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
4. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
(a) Dear Bruno.
(b) Living With Cancer.
(c) Dragon Slayer.
(d) Of Dragons and Garden Peas.
5. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(b) New York City.
(c) San Francisco.
6. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice competes with him for a job.
(b) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
(c) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(d) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
7. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(a) Extramarital affairs.
8. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
(a) Own a white hat.
(b) Own a dog.
(c) Own a fur coat.
(d) Own a house.
9. What is the Alice Tax?
(a) An idea for raising funds through college alumni associations.
(b) An idea to place a limit on how much money people keep for themselves.
(c) A fine assessed to her children when they behave badly.
(d) A fee that Alice charges her husband for reading his rough drafts.
10. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
(a) Four and seven.
(b) Twelve and nine.
(c) Fourteen and eighteen.
(d) Thirty-five and thirty-eight.
11. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) The New York Bridge Club.
(b) Italian-American Club.
(c) Tiro e Segno.
(d) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
12. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
(a) Connecticut Woods.
(c) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
13. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
(a) When she tells her daughters that smoking is not an option for them to consider.
(b) When she tells Calvin that his work on a book is not acceptable.
(c) When she is at work.
(d) When she renovates her house.
14. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Julia Roberts.
(b) Emma Roberts.
(c) Julie Andrews.
(d) Paul Newman.
15. In chapter five, which movie is referenced?
(a) Pretty Woman.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) Guys and Dolls.
(d) My Best Friend's Wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
2. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
3. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
4. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
5. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)