|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
(a) Be more generous.
(b) Be more relaxed about spending money.
(c) Be more successful.
(d) Be more cautious about spending money.
2. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
(b) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(c) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(d) Alice is better educated than her husband.
3. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(a) A cigarette smoking lounge.
(c) A cigarette smoking ban.
4. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
(a) Yale Senior Society.
(b) Yale University.
(c) The Yale Westchester Alumni Association.
(d) Yale-Newhaven Hospital.
5. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Buy her a fur coat.
(b) Put it in their children's college fund.
(c) Use it for their wedding.
(d) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
6. What is the Alice Tax?
(a) A fee that Alice charges her husband for reading his rough drafts.
(b) An idea for raising funds through college alumni associations.
(c) An idea to place a limit on how much money people keep for themselves.
(d) A fine assessed to her children when they behave badly.
7. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
(a) They check out and immediately go home.
(b) They make the best of it.
(c) They complain to hotel management.
(d) They move to another hotel.
8. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
(a) People who can't even afford sending their children to college spending money on fur coats.
(b) People who can't even afford groceries spending money on a cleaning woman.
(c) People who can't even afford rent traveling to Italy.
(d) People who can't even afford a cleaning woman living in a house that has to be rented most summers to pay the taxes.
9. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
(a) The Daily News.
(b) The Nation.
(c) The Times.
(d) The New Yorker.
10. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
(a) She plays inspirational songs.
(b) She plays the piano.
(c) She dresses nicely.
(d) She plants flowers.
11. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
(a) Foreign oil.
(b) The environment.
(c) Animal rights.
12. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(b) Extramarital affairs.
13. What is the SEEK program acronym stand for?
(a) Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge.
(b) Save Each and Every Kid.
(c) Simplify Education, Equality and Knowledge.
(d) Strides for Education, Equality, and Knowledge.
14. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
(a) Alice is somewhere between uninterested and hostile when it comes to religion.
(b) Alice converts to Catholicism as an adult.
(c) Alice is outspoken about her views on the importance of attending church as a family.
(d) Alice is a devout Jew who raises her children with traditional religious values.
15. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
(a) Jane Maher.
(b) Maggie Smith.
(c) Annie Navasky.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alice's professional background?
2. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
3. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
4. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
5. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)