|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
(a) Living like a graduate student.
(b) Living in a tree house.
(c) Living in squalor.
(d) A living nightmare.
2. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(b) Beautiful clothes.
(c) Expensive jewelry.
(d) Fancy cars.
3. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(b) "That's bad."
(c) "That's the worst kind."
(d) "They treat that like the common cold."
4. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
(a) She is a chain-smoker.
(b) She hates cigarettes.
(c) She promotes the idea of cigarette lounges in New York City.
(d) She fights for smoker's rights.
5. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(b) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(c) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(d) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
6. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) He breaks the banister.
(b) He steals Alice's fur coat.
(c) He does a bad job on the project.
(d) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
7. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
(b) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(c) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
(d) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
8. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Maggie Smith.
(c) Jane Maher.
(d) Annie Navasky.
9. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) Italian-American Club.
(b) The New York Bridge Club.
(c) Tiro e Segno.
(d) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
10. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Nation.
(d) The Daily News.
11. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
(a) After a certain level of income, the government should take everything.
(b) A tax theory.
(c) Things like perfume, clothing, and jewelry should be purchased with money from her own paychecks.
(d) Any money not spent on a luxury you can't afford is the equivalent of windfall income.
12. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) An estate.
(b) An apartment.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A brownstone.
13. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a broker.
(b) He is a grocer.
(c) He is an accountant.
(d) He is a banker.
14. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice competes with him for a job.
(b) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(c) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
(d) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
15. Where does Alice once work?
(a) Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital
(b) Random House.
(d) Ford Modeling Agency.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
2. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
3. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
4. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
5. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)