|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(b) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
(c) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
(d) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
2. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
(a) How much it rains.
(b) How much a hotel room cost.
(c) How much a melon cost.
(d) How much it snows.
3. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice competes with him for a job.
(b) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
(c) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
(d) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
4. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
(a) When she renovates her house.
(b) When she is at work.
(c) When she tells Calvin that his work on a book is not acceptable.
(d) When she tells her daughters that smoking is not an option for them to consider.
5. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
(a) Things like perfume, clothing, and jewelry should be purchased with money from her own paychecks.
(b) Any money not spent on a luxury you can't afford is the equivalent of windfall income.
(c) A tax theory.
(d) After a certain level of income, the government should take everything.
6. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
(a) Someone whose instinct is to analyze anything that happens and try to make some sense of it.
(b) Someone who knows how to translate heuristics.
(c) Someone who knows the definition of holistic.
(d) Someone who knows the definition of holistic. Someone who translates fluently from the Toltec.
7. What is the SEEK program acronym stand for?
(a) Strides for Education, Equality, and Knowledge.
(b) Save Each and Every Kid.
(c) Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge.
(d) Simplify Education, Equality and Knowledge.
8. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
9. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(b) Extramarital affairs.
10. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Emma Roberts.
(b) Julia Roberts.
(c) Julie Andrews.
(d) Paul Newman.
11. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
(a) Long Island.
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York City.
(d) Nova Scotia.
12. Trillin states that his goddaughter marries into a family with some involvement in what kind of industry?
13. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
(a) She is relatively well-off after she marries Calvin.
(b) She is very wealthy after she marries Calvin.
(c) She has to make due with modest possessions after she marries Calvin.
(d) She is the breadwinner in her marriage to Calvin.
14. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(b) Kansas City.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New York City.
15. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
(a) Thirty-five and thirty-eight.
(b) Four and seven.
(c) Twelve and nine.
(d) Fourteen and eighteen.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
2. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
3. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
4. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
5. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)