|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
(a) When she tells Calvin that his work on a book is not acceptable.
(b) When she tells her daughters that smoking is not an option for them to consider.
(c) When she renovates her house.
(d) When she is at work.
2. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) He breaks the banister.
(b) He does a bad job on the project.
(c) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
(d) He steals Alice's fur coat.
3. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) Greenwich Village.
(d) Long Island.
4. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(b) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
(c) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
(d) Alice competes with him for a job.
5. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
(a) It's going to be worth the trouble. Your children grow up here.
(b) I broke the banister.
(c) Sooner or later, we're all going to leave, and this is going to be your place.
(d) I underestimate the amount of money this project costs you.
6. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) An estate.
(b) An apartment.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A brownstone.
7. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(b) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(c) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
(d) Alice is better educated than her husband.
8. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
(a) She is the breadwinner in her marriage to Calvin.
(b) She has to make due with modest possessions after she marries Calvin.
(c) She is relatively well-off after she marries Calvin.
(d) She is very wealthy after she marries Calvin.
9. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(b) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(c) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(d) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
10. What is Alice's professional background?
(a) Alice is a model and actress.
(b) Alice is a film editor.
(c) Alice is a politician.
(d) Alice is an English professor.
11. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He begins to feel scared.
(b) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
(c) He has new reason to hope.
(d) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
12. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
13. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Julia Roberts.
(b) Emma Roberts.
(c) Paul Newman.
(d) Julie Andrews.
14. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
15. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(a) Extramarital affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
2. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
3. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
4. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
5. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)