|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(a) Beautiful clothes.
(b) Fancy cars.
(d) Expensive jewelry.
2. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
(a) Living in a tree house.
(b) A living nightmare.
(c) Living like a graduate student.
(d) Living in squalor.
3. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
4. What is the Alice Tax?
(a) A fee that Alice charges her husband for reading his rough drafts.
(b) An idea to place a limit on how much money people keep for themselves.
(c) An idea for raising funds through college alumni associations.
(d) A fine assessed to her children when they behave badly.
5. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) A brownstone.
(b) A cottage.
(c) An estate.
(d) An apartment.
6. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a grocer.
(b) He is an accountant.
(c) He is a banker.
(d) He is a broker.
7. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
(a) She has to make due with modest possessions after she marries Calvin.
(b) She is very wealthy after she marries Calvin.
(c) She is the breadwinner in her marriage to Calvin.
(d) She is relatively well-off after she marries Calvin.
8. Trillin states that his goddaughter marries into a family with some involvement in what kind of industry?
9. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
(b) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
(c) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(d) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
10. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
(a) Four and seven.
(b) Fourteen and eighteen.
(c) Thirty-five and thirty-eight.
(d) Twelve and nine.
11. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
(a) They make the best of it.
(b) They move to another hotel.
(c) They complain to hotel management.
(d) They check out and immediately go home.
12. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(c) A cigarette smoking lounge.
(d) A cigarette smoking ban.
13. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(a) Long Island.
(b) Greenwich Village.
(c) Nova Scotia.
14. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
(a) Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
(b) Governor George Pataki.
(c) Governor Olympia Snowe.
(d) Governor Mario Cuomo.
15. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
(a) She hates cigarettes.
(b) She is a chain-smoker.
(c) She promotes the idea of cigarette lounges in New York City.
(d) She fights for smoker's rights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
2. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
3. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
4. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
5. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)