|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
(b) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(c) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(d) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
2. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
(a) To wear during the cold New York City winters.
(b) To wear during the cold Nova Scotia winters.
(c) To wear on a trip to Alaska.
(d) To wear to a fashion show.
3. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
(a) Alice's father.
4. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
(a) People who can't even afford groceries spending money on a cleaning woman.
(b) People who can't even afford sending their children to college spending money on fur coats.
(c) People who can't even afford a cleaning woman living in a house that has to be rented most summers to pay the taxes.
(d) People who can't even afford rent traveling to Italy.
5. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
(a) New York City.
(b) New Jersey.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) Long Island.
6. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(a) New York City.
(c) San Francisco.
7. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Buy her a fur coat.
(b) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
(c) Put it in their children's college fund.
(d) Use it for their wedding.
8. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He begins to feel scared.
(b) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
(c) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
(d) He has new reason to hope.
9. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a broker.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He is a grocer.
(d) He is an accountant.
10. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
(a) Yale-Newhaven Hospital.
(b) Yale University.
(c) Yale Senior Society.
(d) The Yale Westchester Alumni Association.
11. What is the SEEK program acronym stand for?
(a) Simplify Education, Equality and Knowledge.
(b) Save Each and Every Kid.
(c) Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge.
(d) Strides for Education, Equality, and Knowledge.
12. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's bad."
(b) "They treat that like the common cold."
(c) "That's the worst kind."
(d) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
13. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
(a) Own a dog.
(b) Own a fur coat.
(c) Own a house.
(d) Own a white hat.
14. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
(a) Someone who knows how to translate heuristics.
(b) Someone whose instinct is to analyze anything that happens and try to make some sense of it.
(c) Someone who knows the definition of holistic. Someone who translates fluently from the Toltec.
(d) Someone who knows the definition of holistic.
15. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
(a) Annie Navasky.
(b) Jane Maher.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Maggie Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
2. What is the Alice Tax?
3. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
4. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
5. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)