|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
(a) She dresses nicely.
(b) She plays the piano.
(c) She plays inspirational songs.
(d) She plants flowers.
2. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
(a) She is very wealthy after she marries Calvin.
(b) She is relatively well-off after she marries Calvin.
(c) She has to make due with modest possessions after she marries Calvin.
(d) She is the breadwinner in her marriage to Calvin.
3. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(b) Nova Scotia.
(c) Long Island.
(d) Greenwich Village.
4. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
(a) People who can't even afford sending their children to college spending money on fur coats.
(b) People who can't even afford rent traveling to Italy.
(c) People who can't even afford groceries spending money on a cleaning woman.
(d) People who can't even afford a cleaning woman living in a house that has to be rented most summers to pay the taxes.
5. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Emma Roberts.
(b) Julie Andrews.
(c) Julia Roberts.
(d) Paul Newman.
6. Where does Alice once work?
(a) Ford Modeling Agency.
(b) Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital
(d) Random House.
7. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
(a) The Daily News.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Nation.
(d) The New Yorker.
8. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(b) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(c) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(d) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
9. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
(b) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(c) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(d) Alice is better educated than her husband.
10. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(a) Beautiful clothes.
(b) Expensive jewelry.
(c) Fancy cars.
11. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
(a) Be more cautious about spending money.
(b) Be more relaxed about spending money.
(c) Be more successful.
(d) Be more generous.
12. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
(a) Traveling to foreign countries.
(b) Getting speeding tickets.
(c) Spending money on clothes.
(d) Cigarette companies that give young people the impression that smoking is cool.
13. What is Alice's professional background?
(a) Alice is an English professor.
(b) Alice is a film editor.
(c) Alice is a model and actress.
(d) Alice is a politician.
14. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) He does a bad job on the project.
(b) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
(c) He steals Alice's fur coat.
(d) He breaks the banister.
15. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
(a) After a certain level of income, the government should take everything.
(b) Any money not spent on a luxury you can't afford is the equivalent of windfall income.
(c) A tax theory.
(d) Things like perfume, clothing, and jewelry should be purchased with money from her own paychecks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following statements is true?
2. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
3. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
4. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
5. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)