|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
(a) People who can't even afford a cleaning woman living in a house that has to be rented most summers to pay the taxes.
(b) People who can't even afford groceries spending money on a cleaning woman.
(c) People who can't even afford rent traveling to Italy.
(d) People who can't even afford sending their children to college spending money on fur coats.
2. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(a) New York City.
(c) San Francisco.
3. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
(a) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
(c) Connecticut Woods.
4. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
5. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's the worst kind."
(b) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(c) "That's bad."
(d) "They treat that like the common cold."
6. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
(a) She is relatively well-off after she marries Calvin.
(b) She is the breadwinner in her marriage to Calvin.
(c) She has to make due with modest possessions after she marries Calvin.
(d) She is very wealthy after she marries Calvin.
7. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(a) Long Island.
(b) Greenwich Village.
(c) Nova Scotia.
8. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He has new reason to hope.
(b) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
(c) He begins to feel scared.
(d) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
9. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(d) Extramarital affairs.
10. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a broker.
(b) He is an accountant.
(c) He is a grocer.
(d) He is a banker.
11. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(a) Kansas City.
(c) New York City.
(d) San Francisco.
12. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(b) Tiro e Segno.
(c) Italian-American Club.
(d) The New York Bridge Club.
13. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
(b) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(c) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(d) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
14. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
(a) " ... an intellectual in a time when women are only expected to be pretty."
(b) " ... the most loving and devoted mother in the world."
(c) " ... a role model to me and to women everywhere."
(d) " ... the least cool person I have ever known."
15. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
(a) Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
(b) Governor George Pataki.
(c) Governor Olympia Snowe.
(d) Governor Mario Cuomo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
2. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
3. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
4. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
5. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)