|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
(a) To wear on a trip to Alaska.
(b) To wear during the cold New York City winters.
(c) To wear to a fashion show.
(d) To wear during the cold Nova Scotia winters.
2. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
(a) Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
(b) Governor Mario Cuomo.
(c) Governor George Pataki.
(d) Governor Olympia Snowe.
3. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He has new reason to hope.
(b) He begins to feel scared.
(c) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
(d) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
4. Where does Alice once work?
(b) Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital
(c) Random House.
(d) Ford Modeling Agency.
5. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(d) Extramarital affairs.
6. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(b) "That's bad."
(c) "That's the worst kind."
(d) "They treat that like the common cold."
7. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(b) Alice is better educated than her husband.
(c) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(d) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
8. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) He steals Alice's fur coat.
(b) He breaks the banister.
(c) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
(d) He does a bad job on the project.
9. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
(a) Be more successful.
(b) Be more relaxed about spending money.
(c) Be more generous.
(d) Be more cautious about spending money.
10. Which one of the following statements is true?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy is surgeon.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy is fourteen years older than Alice.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy is a dietitian.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy is a medical technician.
11. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(b) Kansas City.
(c) New York City.
(d) San Francisco.
12. What is Alice's professional background?
(a) Alice is an English professor.
(b) Alice is a film editor.
(c) Alice is a politician.
(d) Alice is a model and actress.
13. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
14. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
(b) Use it for their wedding.
(c) Buy her a fur coat.
(d) Put it in their children's college fund.
15. What is the Alice Tax?
(a) A fine assessed to her children when they behave badly.
(b) An idea for raising funds through college alumni associations.
(c) A fee that Alice charges her husband for reading his rough drafts.
(d) An idea to place a limit on how much money people keep for themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
2. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
3. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
4. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
5. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)