|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Yale-Newhaven Hospital.
(c) The Yale Westchester Alumni Association.
(d) Yale Senior Society.
2. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's the worst kind."
(b) "They treat that like the common cold."
(c) "That's bad."
(d) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
3. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
(a) Annie Navasky.
(b) Jane Maher.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Maggie Smith.
4. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
(a) Alice's father.
5. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
6. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
(a) Own a white hat.
(b) Own a dog.
(c) Own a fur coat.
(d) Own a house.
7. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) Tiro e Segno.
(b) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(c) The New York Bridge Club.
(d) Italian-American Club.
8. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Julia Roberts.
(b) Emma Roberts.
(c) Julie Andrews.
(d) Paul Newman.
9. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
(a) People who "don't have a very nice life" are financially well off, but physically ill people who "don't have a very nice life" ware not as attractive as she.
(b) People who "don't have a very nice life" are not as lucky as Alice and Calvin.
(c) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(d) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
10. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
11. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(b) Extramarital affairs.
12. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
(a) They make the best of it.
(b) They move to another hotel.
(c) They check out and immediately go home.
(d) They complain to hotel management.
13. What is the SEEK program acronym stand for?
(a) Strides for Education, Equality, and Knowledge.
(b) Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge.
(c) Save Each and Every Kid.
(d) Simplify Education, Equality and Knowledge.
14. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(c) New York City.
(d) San Francisco.
15. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(b) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
(c) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(d) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
2. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
3. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
4. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
5. Where does Alice once work?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)