|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
(a) Foreign oil.
(b) The environment.
(c) Animal rights.
2. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(b) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(c) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(d) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
3. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
(a) Someone who knows the definition of holistic.
(b) Someone who knows how to translate heuristics.
(c) Someone who knows the definition of holistic. Someone who translates fluently from the Toltec.
(d) Someone whose instinct is to analyze anything that happens and try to make some sense of it.
4. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
(a) They make the best of it.
(b) They check out and immediately go home.
(c) They complain to hotel management.
(d) They move to another hotel.
5. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
(b) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(c) Alice is better educated than her husband.
(d) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
6. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's bad."
(b) "They treat that like the common cold."
(c) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(d) "That's the worst kind."
7. What is the SEEK program acronym stand for?
(a) Save Each and Every Kid.
(b) Simplify Education, Equality and Knowledge.
(c) Strides for Education, Equality, and Knowledge.
(d) Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge.
8. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Annie Navasky.
(c) Maggie Smith.
(d) Jane Maher.
9. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
(a) Be more cautious about spending money.
(b) Be more successful.
(c) Be more relaxed about spending money.
(d) Be more generous.
10. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(c) A cigarette smoking lounge.
(d) A cigarette smoking ban.
11. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
(b) Alice's father.
12. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
13. Select the city in which Calvin and Alice have a disagreement about money.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York City.
14. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
(b) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(c) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
(d) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
15. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(b) Kansas City.
(c) New York City.
(d) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
2. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
3. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
4. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
5. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)