|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
(c) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
(d) Connecticut Woods.
2. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(b) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
(c) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(d) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
3. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
(a) Of Dragons and Garden Peas.
(b) Living With Cancer.
(c) Dragon Slayer.
(d) Dear Bruno.
4. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
(b) He breaks the banister.
(c) He steals Alice's fur coat.
(d) He does a bad job on the project.
5. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
(a) Getting speeding tickets.
(b) Traveling to foreign countries.
(c) Spending money on clothes.
(d) Cigarette companies that give young people the impression that smoking is cool.
6. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
(a) She fights for smoker's rights.
(b) She is a chain-smoker.
(c) She promotes the idea of cigarette lounges in New York City.
(d) She hates cigarettes.
7. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(b) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(c) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(d) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
8. According to Calvin, which one of the following qualities does NOT characterize his wife Alice?
9. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
(a) She dresses nicely.
(b) She plays inspirational songs.
(c) She plays the piano.
(d) She plants flowers.
10. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
(a) Governor George Pataki.
(b) Governor Mario Cuomo.
(c) Governor Olympia Snowe.
(d) Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
11. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Put it in their children's college fund.
(b) Use it for their wedding.
(c) Buy her a fur coat.
(d) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
12. What is Alice's professional background?
(a) Alice is a model and actress.
(b) Alice is a politician.
(c) Alice is an English professor.
(d) Alice is a film editor.
13. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
(b) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(c) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
(d) Alice competes with him for a job.
14. Where does Alice once work?
(a) Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital
(b) Ford Modeling Agency.
(d) Random House.
15. Trillin states that his goddaughter marries into a family with some involvement in what kind of industry?
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
2. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
3. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
4. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
5. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)