|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
2. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
(a) New Jersey.
(b) Long Island.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) New York City.
3. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
(a) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(b) People who "don't have a very nice life" are not as lucky as Alice and Calvin.
(c) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(d) People who "don't have a very nice life" are financially well off, but physically ill people who "don't have a very nice life" ware not as attractive as she.
4. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(d) Extramarital affairs.
5. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(b) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(c) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
(d) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
6. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
(a) A cottage.
(b) An apartment.
(c) An estate.
(d) A brownstone.
7. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
(a) Things like perfume, clothing, and jewelry should be purchased with money from her own paychecks.
(b) After a certain level of income, the government should take everything.
(c) A tax theory.
(d) Any money not spent on a luxury you can't afford is the equivalent of windfall income.
8. According to Calvin, his wife enjoys spending money on which one of the following?
(b) Fancy cars.
(c) Expensive jewelry.
(d) Beautiful clothes.
9. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
(a) Living in squalor.
(b) Living in a tree house.
(c) Living like a graduate student.
(d) A living nightmare.
10. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a broker.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He is an accountant.
(d) He is a grocer.
11. Which phrase best describes Alice's religious views?
(a) Alice is outspoken about her views on the importance of attending church as a family.
(b) Alice is a devout Jew who raises her children with traditional religious values.
(c) Alice converts to Catholicism as an adult.
(d) Alice is somewhere between uninterested and hostile when it comes to religion.
12. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
13. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
(a) Alice's father.
14. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
(a) To wear during the cold Nova Scotia winters.
(b) To wear during the cold New York City winters.
(c) To wear on a trip to Alaska.
(d) To wear to a fashion show.
15. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Julia Roberts.
(b) Paul Newman.
(c) Emma Roberts.
(d) Julie Andrews.
Short Answer Questions
1. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
2. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
3. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
4. Where does Alice once work?
5. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)