|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
(a) How much it rains.
(b) How much a melon cost.
(c) How much a hotel room cost.
(d) How much it snows.
2. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(b) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
3. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
(b) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
(c) Connecticut Woods.
4. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Jane Maher.
(c) Annie Navasky.
(d) Maggie Smith.
5. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is better educated than her husband.
(b) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
(c) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(d) Alice is better at reading than writing.
6. According to Calvin, when is Alice at her "bossiest"?
(a) When she tells her daughters that smoking is not an option for them to consider.
(b) When she renovates her house.
(c) When she is at work.
(d) When she tells Calvin that his work on a book is not acceptable.
7. Which of the following statements about Alice is true?
(a) She promotes the idea of cigarette lounges in New York City.
(b) She fights for smoker's rights.
(c) She is a chain-smoker.
(d) She hates cigarettes.
8. In chapter five, which movie is referenced?
(a) My Best Friend's Wedding.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) Guys and Dolls.
(d) Pretty Woman.
9. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
(a) Yale-Newhaven Hospital.
(b) Yale University.
(c) The Yale Westchester Alumni Association.
(d) Yale Senior Society.
10. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
(b) Alice competes with him for a job.
(c) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(d) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
11. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
(a) I broke the banister.
(b) It's going to be worth the trouble. Your children grow up here.
(c) Sooner or later, we're all going to leave, and this is going to be your place.
(d) I underestimate the amount of money this project costs you.
12. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
(a) People who can't even afford rent traveling to Italy.
(b) People who can't even afford a cleaning woman living in a house that has to be rented most summers to pay the taxes.
(c) People who can't even afford sending their children to college spending money on fur coats.
(d) People who can't even afford groceries spending money on a cleaning woman.
13. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
(a) Cigarette companies that give young people the impression that smoking is cool.
(b) Getting speeding tickets.
(c) Traveling to foreign countries.
(d) Spending money on clothes.
14. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
(a) Own a dog.
(b) Own a fur coat.
(c) Own a house.
(d) Own a white hat.
15. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(b) "They treat that like the common cold."
(c) "That's the worst kind."
(d) "That's bad."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
2. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
3. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
4. What is the name of the book that Alice writes based on a letter she writes?
5. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)