|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
(a) People who "don't have a very nice life" are financially well off, but physically ill people who "don't have a very nice life" ware not as attractive as she.
(b) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(c) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(d) People who "don't have a very nice life" are not as lucky as Alice and Calvin.
2. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(b) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
3. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(b) Long Island.
(c) Greenwich Village.
(d) Nova Scotia.
4. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
(a) Buy her a fur coat.
(b) Put it in their children's college fund.
(c) Use it as a down payment for their first house.
(d) Use it for their wedding.
5. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(b) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(c) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
(d) Alice is better educated than her husband.
6. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Paul Newman.
(b) Emma Roberts.
(c) Julie Andrews.
(d) Julia Roberts.
7. In chapter six, Trillin states that Alice has a strong desire to ...
(a) Own a white hat.
(b) Own a house.
(c) Own a dog.
(d) Own a fur coat.
8. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
(a) Someone who knows the definition of holistic. Someone who translates fluently from the Toltec.
(b) Someone who knows the definition of holistic.
(c) Someone whose instinct is to analyze anything that happens and try to make some sense of it.
(d) Someone who knows how to translate heuristics.
9. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
10. Where does Alice once work?
(b) Ford Modeling Agency.
(c) Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital
(d) Random House.
11. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
12. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
(b) Alice's father.
13. What does Mina do to cheer herself up, and to lift the spirits of those around her?
(a) She plays inspirational songs.
(b) She plays the piano.
(c) She plants flowers.
(d) She dresses nicely.
14. When Calvin and Alice fid themselves in a hotel room that is not as they expect, what do they do?
(a) They move to another hotel.
(b) They make the best of it.
(c) They check out and immediately go home.
(d) They complain to hotel management.
15. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
(a) Connecticut Woods.
(b) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
2. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
3. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
4. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
5. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)