|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Calvin's father do for a living?
(a) He is a banker.
(b) He is a broker.
(c) He is a grocer.
(d) He is an accountant.
2. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
(a) A New England Journal of Medicine piece written by Alice.
(b) A children's book that Alice reads to her daughters.
(c) A New Yorker piece written by Calvin Trillin.
(d) A film that Alice produces for PBS.
3. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) He breaks the banister.
(b) He steals Alice's fur coat.
(c) He does a bad job on the project.
(d) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
4. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
(a) Traveling to foreign countries.
(b) Spending money on clothes.
(c) Cigarette companies that give young people the impression that smoking is cool.
(d) Getting speeding tickets.
5. Which woman serve as a personal and professional mentor to Alice?
(a) Annie Navasky.
(b) Maggie Smith.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Jane Maher.
6. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
(a) How much it rains.
(b) How much a hotel room cost.
(c) How much a melon cost.
(d) How much it snows.
7. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
(a) The environment.
(b) Animal rights.
(d) Foreign oil.
8. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
9. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Daily News.
(d) The Nation.
10. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
(a) Living in squalor.
(b) A living nightmare.
(c) Living in a tree house.
(d) Living like a graduate student.
11. What assumption does Alice make before she marries Calvin?
(a) She has to make due with modest possessions after she marries Calvin.
(b) She is relatively well-off after she marries Calvin.
(c) She is the breadwinner in her marriage to Calvin.
(d) She is very wealthy after she marries Calvin.
12. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
13. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
(a) Yale Senior Society.
(b) Yale University.
(c) The Yale Westchester Alumni Association.
(d) Yale-Newhaven Hospital.
14. In chapter five, which person is mentioned as having volunteered at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
(a) Julia Roberts.
(b) Emma Roberts.
(c) Paul Newman.
(d) Julie Andrews.
15. In chapter six, Calvin describes a home renovation project. Who acts as the project manager?
(c) Alice's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following statements is true?
2. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
3. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
4. What is the SEEK program acronym stand for?
5. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)