|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calvin states that among married couples, the one who makes out the mortgage check is more like to do what?
(a) Be more relaxed about spending money.
(b) Be more generous.
(c) Be more successful.
(d) Be more cautious about spending money.
2. In chapter five, Trillin states that he once gives a speech at the annual dinner for which organization?
(a) Yale Senior Society.
(b) The Yale Westchester Alumni Association.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Yale-Newhaven Hospital.
3. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
(a) The environment.
(b) Animal rights.
(c) Foreign oil.
4. What is the name of the camp where Alice volunteers to work with seriously ill children?
(b) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
(c) Connecticut Woods.
5. What is the name of the club where Alice sometimes has lunch with her friend Wally Popolizio?
(a) Tiro e Segno.
(b) The New York Health and Fitness Club.
(c) The New York Bridge Club.
(d) Italian-American Club.
6. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
(a) Any money not spent on a luxury you can't afford is the equivalent of windfall income.
(b) Things like perfume, clothing, and jewelry should be purchased with money from her own paychecks.
(c) A tax theory.
(d) After a certain level of income, the government should take everything.
7. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
8. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(a) Long Island.
(b) Greenwich Village.
(c) Nova Scotia.
9. Which one of the following statements is true?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy is a dietitian.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy is a medical technician.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy is fourteen years older than Alice.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy is surgeon.
10. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
11. What is the Alice Tax?
(a) A fine assessed to her children when they behave badly.
(b) A fee that Alice charges her husband for reading his rough drafts.
(c) An idea to place a limit on how much money people keep for themselves.
(d) An idea for raising funds through college alumni associations.
12. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
(b) Extramarital affairs.
13. Trillin states that he is brought up in which city?
(a) Kansas City.
(b) New York City.
(d) San Francisco.
14. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
(b) "They treat that like the common cold."
(c) "That's bad."
(d) "That's the worst kind."
15. Trillin states that his goddaughter marries into a family with some involvement in what kind of industry?
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter five, which movie is referenced?
2. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
3. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
4. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
5. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)