|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(c) Times Magazine.
(d) The New Yorker.
2. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
(a) Educator, Wife and Mother.
(b) College Instructor, Mother and Wife.
(c) Social Activist, Author and Muse.
(d) Educator, Author and Muse.
3. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A boring college lecture.
(b) A rough draft in need of edits.
(c) A winning job interview.
(d) A desperate comedy routine.
4. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
(b) Alice's beauty involves complications.
(c) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
(d) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
5. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
(a) The hat and the punch bowl.
(b) The pipe smoke and the glow.
(c) The hat and the pipe smoke.
(d) The food and the beverages.
6. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
(a) Alice does not remember how to get home from the plant nursery.
(b) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer and does not receive a ticket.
(c) Alice is not asked for her identification at a bar.
(d) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer, and receives a ticket.
7. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
8. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
(a) Alice Trillin.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Nora Ephron.
9. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
(a) Alice's mother is a secretary.
(b) Alice's mother is a model.
(c) Alice's mother is a novelist.
(d) Alice's mother is a teacher.
10. According to Calvin, what is Alice wearing when he sees her for the first time?
(a) A black hat.
(b) A yellow hat.
(c) A white hat.
(d) A red hat.
11. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(b) Her best friend's grave.
(c) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(d) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
12. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Impress Alice.
(b) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
(c) Gain Alice's trust.
(d) Come out of his shell.
13. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Time is money."
(b) "Words Is Money."
(c) "Writing doesn't pay."
(d) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
14. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
(b) Times Magazine.
(d) The New Yorker.
15. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) City University of New York.
(b) Hofstra University.
(c) New York University.
(d) Wellesley College.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
2. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
3. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
5. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)