|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
(a) Calvin does not trust his editor at work.
(b) Calvin thinks it gives her an opportunity to improve her own writing.
(c) It saves Calvin time.
(d) Calvin values Alice's opinion and wants to impress her.
2. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Time is money."
(b) "Writing doesn't pay."
(c) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
(d) "Words Is Money."
3. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
(a) April 1965.
(b) December 1963.
(c) August 1990.
(d) December 1976.
4. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's views on taxation.
(b) Alice's 61st birthday.
(c) Alice's intellectualism.
(d) Alice's 50th birthday.
5. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
6. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
(b) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
(c) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(d) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
7. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A collection of comic short stories.
(b) A biography.
(c) A romance novel.
(d) A mystery novel.
8. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
(a) Isabelle Alice.
9. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
(a) Educator, Wife and Mother.
(b) College Instructor, Mother and Wife.
(c) Educator, Author and Muse.
(d) Social Activist, Author and Muse.
10. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
(a) A year before Alice dies.
(b) The year Alice is diagnosed with lung cancer.
(c) The year before Alice's bypass surgery.
(d) A year after Alice dies.
11. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
(a) Alice is Jewish.
(b) Alice is Swedish.
(c) Alice is Irish.
(d) Alice is European.
12. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Impress Alice.
(b) Come out of his shell.
(c) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
(d) Gain Alice's trust.
13. What does Alice's father do for a living?
(a) Alice's father is a coal miner.
(b) Alice's father is a vending machine repairman.
(c) Alice's father is a self-taught inventor.
(d) Alice's father is a researcher.
14. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
(b) Alice's beauty involves complications.
(c) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
(d) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
15. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
(a) Stray animals.
(b) Cancer patients.
(c) Alice's children.
(d) Alice's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
2. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
3. According to Calvin, what is Alice wearing when he sees her for the first time?
4. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
5. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)