|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
(a) Alice's mother is a model.
(b) Alice's mother is a secretary.
(c) Alice's mother is a teacher.
(d) Alice's mother is a novelist.
2. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
(b) Lung cancer.
(c) Ovarian cancer.
3. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
(b) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
(c) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
(d) Alice's beauty involves complications.
4. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A romance novel.
(b) A mystery novel.
(c) A biography.
(d) A collection of comic short stories.
5. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's 61st birthday.
(b) Alice's intellectualism.
(c) Alice's 50th birthday.
(d) Alice's views on taxation.
6. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A boring college lecture.
(b) A rough draft in need of edits.
(c) A desperate comedy routine.
(d) A winning job interview.
7. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice takes care of her mother.
(b) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(c) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(d) Alice leans on her mother.
8. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
9. Where does Alice's father grow up?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) New York City.
(c) Rural North Carolina.
(d) New York's Westchester County.
10. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
(a) Dick Francis.
(b) Roger Wilkins.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Richard Harris.
11. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
(b) Come out of his shell.
(c) Gain Alice's trust.
(d) Impress Alice.
12. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
(b) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
(c) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(d) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
13. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
(a) Nora Ephron.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Alice Trillin.
14. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(b) Times Magazine.
(c) The New Yorker.
15. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
(b) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
(c) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
(d) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
2. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
3. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
4. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
5. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)