|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
(b) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
(c) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
(d) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
2. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
(a) Alice grows up in Greenwich and Nova Scotia.
(b) Alice grows up in New York City and New Jersey.
(c) Alice grows up in Greenhaven and Harrison, New York.
(d) Alice grows up in North Carolina and Long Island.
3. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
(b) Lung cancer.
(c) Ovarian cancer.
4. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(a) The New Yorker.
(c) Times Magazine.
5. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
(a) Alice looks just like her mother.
(b) Alice looks older than she is, due to her illness.
(c) Alice looks like a dietitian in sensible shoes.
(d) Alice looks young for her age and still attracts men.
6. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(b) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
(d) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
7. What does Alice's father do for a living?
(a) Alice's father is a researcher.
(b) Alice's father is a coal miner.
(c) Alice's father is a vending machine repairman.
(d) Alice's father is a self-taught inventor.
8. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
(a) Educator, Author and Muse.
(b) Educator, Wife and Mother.
(c) College Instructor, Mother and Wife.
(d) Social Activist, Author and Muse.
9. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
(a) A year after Alice dies.
(b) The year Alice is diagnosed with lung cancer.
(c) A year before Alice dies.
(d) The year before Alice's bypass surgery.
10. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(b) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(c) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(d) Her best friend's grave.
11. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
(b) "Words Is Money."
(c) "Writing doesn't pay."
(d) "Time is money."
12. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
(a) A lass from Generation X.
(b) A fast driver.
(c) A dietitian in sensible shoes.
(d) A World War II nurse.
13. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's 61st birthday.
(b) Alice's intellectualism.
(c) Alice's views on taxation.
(d) Alice's 50th birthday.
14. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) New York University.
(b) Wellesley College.
(c) City University of New York.
(d) Hofstra University.
15. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(b) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
(c) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
(d) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written on the envelope in which Alice keeps special items?
2. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
3. In what year does Alice die?
4. At which institution does Alice teach English in her mid-twenties?
5. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)