|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Nora Ephron.
(b) Alice's father.
(c) Mary Francis.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy.
2. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
(a) It saves Calvin time.
(b) Calvin thinks it gives her an opportunity to improve her own writing.
(c) Calvin values Alice's opinion and wants to impress her.
(d) Calvin does not trust his editor at work.
3. What is Alice's maiden name?
4. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A mystery novel.
(b) A collection of comic short stories.
(c) A romance novel.
(d) A biography.
5. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
(a) Alice is spoiled. She grows up in a house with a backyard swimming pool and a basement bowling alley.
(b) Alice is poor and lives in squalor in a basement apartment in New York City.
(c) Alice is a pampered and wealthy girl who is captain of her cheerleading team.
(d) Alice is not popular in school. She is the class brain and is virtually never asked out.
6. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
(a) "Where is my camera?"
7. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
(a) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer, and receives a ticket.
(b) Alice is not asked for her identification at a bar.
(c) Alice does not remember how to get home from the plant nursery.
(d) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer and does not receive a ticket.
8. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
(a) The voice of reason.
(b) The wicked witch.
(c) The cancer victim.
(d) The goofball.
9. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's 61st birthday.
(b) Alice's intellectualism.
(c) Alice's 50th birthday.
(d) Alice's views on taxation.
10. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
(a) Alice takes out bank loans to pay for her cancer treatment.
(b) Alice takes out bank loans to tide her father over when he is low on money.
(c) Alice takes out bank loans to finance her work with disadvantaged students.
(d) Alice takes out bank loans to invest in her father's vending machine invention.
11. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
(a) Alice grows up in Greenwich and Nova Scotia.
(b) Alice grows up in North Carolina and Long Island.
(c) Alice grows up in Greenhaven and Harrison, New York.
(d) Alice grows up in New York City and New Jersey.
12. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
(a) Alice looks young for her age and still attracts men.
(b) Alice looks like a dietitian in sensible shoes.
(c) Alice looks just like her mother.
(d) Alice looks older than she is, due to her illness.
13. What does Alice's father do for a living?
(a) Alice's father is a vending machine repairman.
(b) Alice's father is a self-taught inventor.
(c) Alice's father is a coal miner.
(d) Alice's father is a researcher.
14. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
(d) Guys with pipes.
15. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
2. Where does Alice's father first meet Alice's mother?
3. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
4. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
5. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)