|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
(a) A photo of Alice teaching in a classroom. It is taken when she is in her thirties.
(b) A photo of Alice wearing a hat. It is taken when she is in her twenties.
(c) A photo of Alice taken in Italy. It is taken when she is in her fifties.
(d) A photo of Alice gardening. It is taken when she is in her forties.
2. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
(a) Educator, Author and Muse.
(b) Educator, Wife and Mother.
(c) Social Activist, Author and Muse.
(d) College Instructor, Mother and Wife.
3. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
(a) Alice looks like a dietitian in sensible shoes.
(b) Alice looks older than she is, due to her illness.
(c) Alice looks just like her mother.
(d) Alice looks young for her age and still attracts men.
4. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
(b) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(d) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
5. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
(a) The cancer victim.
(b) The wicked witch.
(c) The voice of reason.
(d) The goofball.
6. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
(a) Alice is not pampered or snooty, despite the fact that she grows up in an affluent town and attends a prestigious college.
(b) Alice is known as the class beauty and most popular cheerleader in high school.
(c) Alice is seriously pampered and snooty in high school.
(d) Alice looks like a dietitian, but in actuality she is a talented writer.
7. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
(a) Roger Wilkins.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(c) Dick Francis.
(d) Richard Harris.
8. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(b) His dumb luck and good looks.
(c) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(d) His reluctance to speak.
9. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
(a) A lass from Generation X.
(b) A fast driver.
(c) A dietitian in sensible shoes.
(d) A World War II nurse.
10. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
(c) Isabelle Alice.
11. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
(b) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
(c) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
(d) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
12. Where does Alice's father grow up?
(a) New York City.
(b) Nova Scotia.
(c) Rural North Carolina.
(d) New York's Westchester County.
13. In what year does Alice die?
14. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Words Is Money."
(b) "Time is money."
(c) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
(d) "Writing doesn't pay."
15. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(b) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
(c) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
(d) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
2. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
3. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
4. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
5. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)