|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A book.
(d) A pen.
2. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
(a) The year Alice is diagnosed with lung cancer.
(b) A year before Alice dies.
(c) The year before Alice's bypass surgery.
(d) A year after Alice dies.
3. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
(b) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
(c) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(d) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
4. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
(a) August 1990.
(b) December 1963.
(c) December 1976.
(d) April 1965.
5. Where does Alice's father grow up?
(a) New York City.
(b) Rural North Carolina.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) New York's Westchester County.
6. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
(a) Guys with pipes.
7. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
(a) Social Activist, Author and Muse.
(b) College Instructor, Mother and Wife.
(c) Educator, Wife and Mother.
(d) Educator, Author and Muse.
8. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A winning job interview.
(b) A desperate comedy routine.
(c) A boring college lecture.
(d) A rough draft in need of edits.
9. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
(c) "Where is my camera?"
10. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
(a) Alice's father is a sweet, optimistic man.
(b) Alice's father is realistic, responsible man.
(c) Alice's father is cold and tightfisted with his money.
(d) Alice's father is pessimistic and irresponsible.
11. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
(a) Alice is not pampered or snooty, despite the fact that she grows up in an affluent town and attends a prestigious college.
(b) Alice is seriously pampered and snooty in high school.
(c) Alice looks like a dietitian, but in actuality she is a talented writer.
(d) Alice is known as the class beauty and most popular cheerleader in high school.
12. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three weeks.
13. What is the headline in the magazine article in which Alice is featured as a model at the age of thirty-five?
(a) About Alice.
(b) The beauty and the brain.
(c) The picture of health.
(d) College instructor, mother and wife.
14. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
(a) Alice's parents.
(b) Cancer patients.
(c) Alice's children.
(d) Stray animals.
15. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
(a) The food and the beverages.
(b) The hat and the pipe smoke.
(c) The hat and the punch bowl.
(d) The pipe smoke and the glow.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
2. In chapter one, Calvin includes an excerpt from a letter that Alice writes to a woman who is victimized. What Shakespeare play does she reference in her letter?
3. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
4. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
5. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)