|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's views on taxation.
(b) Alice's 50th birthday.
(c) Alice's intellectualism.
(d) Alice's 61st birthday.
2. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(b) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
(d) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
3. What is written on the envelope in which Alice keeps special items?
(a) Trillin Family Mementos.
(d) Important Stuff.
4. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
(a) Alice does not remember how to get home from the plant nursery.
(b) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer and does not receive a ticket.
(c) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer, and receives a ticket.
(d) Alice is not asked for her identification at a bar.
5. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(b) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(c) Alice leans on her mother.
(d) Alice takes care of her mother.
6. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
(a) Alice looks like a dietitian in sensible shoes.
(b) Alice looks older than she is, due to her illness.
(c) Alice looks young for her age and still attracts men.
(d) Alice looks just like her mother.
7. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three weeks.
8. Alice tells her husband that he peaks in which year?
9. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
10. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A romance novel.
(b) A collection of comic short stories.
(c) A mystery novel.
(d) A biography.
11. Where does Alice's father grow up?
(a) New York City.
(b) New York's Westchester County.
(c) Rural North Carolina.
(d) Nova Scotia.
12. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A pen.
(d) A book.
13. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
(a) A World War II nurse.
(b) A lass from Generation X.
(c) A fast driver.
(d) A dietitian in sensible shoes.
14. What is Alice's maiden name?
15. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(b) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(c) Her best friend's grave.
(d) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
2. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
3. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
4. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
5. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)