|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
2. How many siblings does Alice have?
(a) Alice has a brother and a sister.
(b) None, Alice is an only child.
(c) Alice has two sisters.
(d) Alice has a twin sister.
3. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(b) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(c) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(d) Her best friend's grave.
4. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
(a) Roger Wilkins.
(b) Dick Francis.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Richard Harris.
5. According to Calvin, what is Alice wearing when he sees her for the first time?
(a) A white hat.
(b) A red hat.
(c) A black hat.
(d) A yellow hat.
6. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
(a) Alice is a pampered and wealthy girl who is captain of her cheerleading team.
(b) Alice is not popular in school. She is the class brain and is virtually never asked out.
(c) Alice is spoiled. She grows up in a house with a backyard swimming pool and a basement bowling alley.
(d) Alice is poor and lives in squalor in a basement apartment in New York City.
7. Calvin states that he never sees Alice read which type of magazine?
8. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A romance novel.
(b) A mystery novel.
(c) A collection of comic short stories.
(d) A biography.
9. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two days.
10. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
(a) Alice's father is pessimistic and irresponsible.
(b) Alice's father is realistic, responsible man.
(c) Alice's father is cold and tightfisted with his money.
(d) Alice's father is a sweet, optimistic man.
11. Where does Alice's father grow up?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) Rural North Carolina.
(c) New York's Westchester County.
(d) New York City.
12. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's intellectualism.
(b) Alice's 61st birthday.
(c) Alice's views on taxation.
(d) Alice's 50th birthday.
13. What does Alice's father do for a living?
(a) Alice's father is a vending machine repairman.
(b) Alice's father is a self-taught inventor.
(c) Alice's father is a coal miner.
(d) Alice's father is a researcher.
14. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
(a) Alice grows up in North Carolina and Long Island.
(b) Alice grows up in Greenhaven and Harrison, New York.
(c) Alice grows up in New York City and New Jersey.
(d) Alice grows up in Greenwich and Nova Scotia.
15. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Impress Alice.
(b) Gain Alice's trust.
(c) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
(d) Come out of his shell.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
2. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
3. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
4. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
5. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)