|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is written on the envelope in which Alice keeps special items?
(b) Important Stuff.
(c) Trillin Family Mementos.
2. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Come out of his shell.
(b) Gain Alice's trust.
(c) Impress Alice.
(d) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
3. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
4. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A mystery novel.
(b) A romance novel.
(c) A biography.
(d) A collection of comic short stories.
5. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Words Is Money."
(b) "Writing doesn't pay."
(c) "Time is money."
(d) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
6. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's views on taxation.
(b) Alice's intellectualism.
(c) Alice's 50th birthday.
(d) Alice's 61st birthday.
7. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
(c) Lung cancer.
(d) Ovarian cancer.
8. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
(a) On his desk.
(b) On his living room wall.
(c) On his bedside table.
(d) On his mantle.
9. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
(a) Alice is seriously pampered and snooty in high school.
(b) Alice is known as the class beauty and most popular cheerleader in high school.
(c) Alice looks like a dietitian, but in actuality she is a talented writer.
(d) Alice is not pampered or snooty, despite the fact that she grows up in an affluent town and attends a prestigious college.
10. Calvin states that he never sees Alice read which type of magazine?
11. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
(b) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(d) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
12. What does Alice's father do for a living?
(a) Alice's father is a self-taught inventor.
(b) Alice's father is a researcher.
(c) Alice's father is a vending machine repairman.
(d) Alice's father is a coal miner.
13. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
(b) Guys with pipes.
14. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Alice Trillin.
(d) Nora Ephron.
15. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice takes care of her mother.
(b) Alice leans on her mother.
(c) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(d) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
2. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
3. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
4. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
5. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)