|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing that strikes Calvin about Alice when he sees her for the first time?
(a) Alice is so very pretty.
(b) Alice looks more alive than anyone he sees.
(c) Alice is opinionated.
(d) Alice is talkative.
2. Where does Alice's father first meet Alice's mother?
(a) Greenwich Village.
(b) At a bowling alley.
(c) The Empire State Building.
(d) At a swimming pool.
3. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
(a) The voice of reason.
(b) The goofball.
(c) The cancer victim.
(d) The wicked witch.
4. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(b) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
(d) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
5. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
(a) Riding a bus in New York.
(b) Bicycling in New York.
(c) Eating in New York restaurants.
(d) Parking in New York.
6. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
(a) Calvin values Alice's opinion and wants to impress her.
(b) It saves Calvin time.
(c) Calvin thinks it gives her an opportunity to improve her own writing.
(d) Calvin does not trust his editor at work.
7. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
(a) Alice's mother is a novelist.
(b) Alice's mother is a teacher.
(c) Alice's mother is a secretary.
(d) Alice's mother is a model.
8. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
(a) Alice grows up in Greenhaven and Harrison, New York.
(b) Alice grows up in North Carolina and Long Island.
(c) Alice grows up in Greenwich and Nova Scotia.
(d) Alice grows up in New York City and New Jersey.
9. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
(a) Alice is not pampered or snooty, despite the fact that she grows up in an affluent town and attends a prestigious college.
(b) Alice is known as the class beauty and most popular cheerleader in high school.
(c) Alice is seriously pampered and snooty in high school.
(d) Alice looks like a dietitian, but in actuality she is a talented writer.
10. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
(b) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
(c) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
(d) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
11. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
(a) A lass from Generation X.
(b) A World War II nurse.
(c) A fast driver.
(d) A dietitian in sensible shoes.
12. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A collection of comic short stories.
(b) A biography.
(c) A mystery novel.
(d) A romance novel.
13. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(b) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(c) Her best friend's grave.
(d) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
14. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
(a) Educator, Wife and Mother.
(b) Educator, Author and Muse.
(c) College Instructor, Mother and Wife.
(d) Social Activist, Author and Muse.
15. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A winning job interview.
(b) A rough draft in need of edits.
(c) A desperate comedy routine.
(d) A boring college lecture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
2. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
3. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
4. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
5. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)