|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calvin states that he never sees Alice read which type of magazine?
2. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(b) His reluctance to speak.
(c) His dumb luck and good looks.
(d) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
3. Alice tells her husband that he peaks in which year?
4. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
(a) Alice is not popular in school. She is the class brain and is virtually never asked out.
(b) Alice is a pampered and wealthy girl who is captain of her cheerleading team.
(c) Alice is poor and lives in squalor in a basement apartment in New York City.
(d) Alice is spoiled. She grows up in a house with a backyard swimming pool and a basement bowling alley.
5. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) Times Magazine.
6. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
(d) "Where is my camera?"
7. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
(a) A shoe.
(b) A pen.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A book.
8. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
9. What is Alice's maiden name?
10. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
(b) Alice's beauty involves complications.
(c) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
(d) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
11. In what year does Alice die?
12. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
(a) Alice looks like a dietitian, but in actuality she is a talented writer.
(b) Alice is not pampered or snooty, despite the fact that she grows up in an affluent town and attends a prestigious college.
(c) Alice is known as the class beauty and most popular cheerleader in high school.
(d) Alice is seriously pampered and snooty in high school.
13. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
(a) Dick Francis.
(b) Richard Harris.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Roger Wilkins.
14. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
(a) A photo of Alice teaching in a classroom. It is taken when she is in her thirties.
(b) A photo of Alice taken in Italy. It is taken when she is in her fifties.
(c) A photo of Alice gardening. It is taken when she is in her forties.
(d) A photo of Alice wearing a hat. It is taken when she is in her twenties.
15. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A winning job interview.
(b) A rough draft in need of edits.
(c) A desperate comedy routine.
(d) A boring college lecture.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
2. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
3. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
4. In chapter one, Calvin includes an excerpt from a letter that Alice writes to a woman who is victimized. What Shakespeare play does she reference in her letter?
5. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)