|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(b) Alice takes care of her mother.
(c) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(d) Alice leans on her mother.
2. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A romance novel.
(b) A mystery novel.
(c) A biography.
(d) A collection of comic short stories.
3. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
(a) Alice looks young for her age and still attracts men.
(b) Alice looks older than she is, due to her illness.
(c) Alice looks like a dietitian in sensible shoes.
(d) Alice looks just like her mother.
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Alice's father.
(c) Nora Ephron.
(d) Mary Francis.
5. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
(b) Ovarian cancer.
(c) Lung cancer.
6. What does Alice's father do for a living?
(a) Alice's father is a coal miner.
(b) Alice's father is a researcher.
(c) Alice's father is a vending machine repairman.
(d) Alice's father is a self-taught inventor.
7. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
(b) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(d) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
8. Calvin states that he never sees Alice read which type of magazine?
9. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
(b) Alice's beauty involves complications.
(c) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
(d) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
10. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
(b) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
(c) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
(d) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
11. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
(a) Social Activist, Author and Muse.
(b) Educator, Author and Muse.
(c) Educator, Wife and Mother.
(d) College Instructor, Mother and Wife.
12. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
(b) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
(c) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(d) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
13. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
(a) On his desk.
(b) On his mantle.
(c) On his bedside table.
(d) On his living room wall.
14. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two months.
15. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
(a) Alice's mother is a model.
(b) Alice's mother is a teacher.
(c) Alice's mother is a novelist.
(d) Alice's mother is a secretary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
2. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
3. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
4. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
5. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)