|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which institution does Alice teach English in her mid-twenties?
(a) Hofstra Universtity.
(b) Yale University.
(c) Wellesley College.
(d) New York University.
2. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
(a) The food and the beverages.
(b) The hat and the pipe smoke.
(c) The pipe smoke and the glow.
(d) The hat and the punch bowl.
3. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
(a) Alice does not remember how to get home from the plant nursery.
(b) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer and does not receive a ticket.
(c) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer, and receives a ticket.
(d) Alice is not asked for her identification at a bar.
4. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
(a) The voice of reason.
(b) The wicked witch.
(c) The cancer victim.
(d) The goofball.
5. Alice tells her husband that he peaks in which year?
6. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
(b) Impress Alice.
(c) Gain Alice's trust.
(d) Come out of his shell.
7. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) Wellesley College.
(b) Hofstra University.
(c) City University of New York.
(d) New York University.
8. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
9. How many siblings does Alice have?
(a) Alice has two sisters.
(b) None, Alice is an only child.
(c) Alice has a twin sister.
(d) Alice has a brother and a sister.
10. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
(d) Guys with pipes.
11. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) Times Magazine.
12. According to Calvin, what is Alice wearing when he sees her for the first time?
(a) A red hat.
(b) A white hat.
(c) A black hat.
(d) A yellow hat.
13. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(b) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(c) Her best friend's grave.
(d) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
14. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His dumb luck and good looks.
(b) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(c) His reluctance to speak.
(d) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
15. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's 50th birthday.
(b) Alice's intellectualism.
(c) Alice's 61st birthday.
(d) Alice's views on taxation.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
2. In chapter one, Calvin includes an excerpt from a letter that Alice writes to a woman who is victimized. What Shakespeare play does she reference in her letter?
3. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
4. What is the headline in the magazine article in which Alice is featured as a model at the age of thirty-five?
5. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)