Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's intellectualism.
(b) Alice's 50th birthday.
(c) Alice's 61st birthday.
(d) Alice's views on taxation.
2. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
(a) Alice grows up in New York City and New Jersey.
(b) Alice grows up in Greenhaven and Harrison, New York.
(c) Alice grows up in North Carolina and Long Island.
(d) Alice grows up in Greenwich and Nova Scotia.
3. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
(a) The goofball.
(b) The wicked witch.
(c) The voice of reason.
(d) The cancer victim.
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Mary Francis.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(c) Alice's father.
(d) Nora Ephron.
5. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
(a) August 1990.
(b) December 1963.
(c) April 1965.
(d) December 1976.
6. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
(a) The hat and the pipe smoke.
(b) The hat and the punch bowl.
(c) The food and the beverages.
(d) The pipe smoke and the glow.
7. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) Her best friend's grave.
(b) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(c) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(d) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
8. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) City University of New York.
(b) Wellesley College.
(c) Hofstra University.
(d) New York University.
9. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His dumb luck and good looks.
(b) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(c) His reluctance to speak.
(d) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
10. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
(a) A book.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A pen.
11. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) Times Magazine.
12. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A romance novel.
(b) A biography.
(c) A mystery novel.
(d) A collection of comic short stories.
13. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(b) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(c) Alice leans on her mother.
(d) Alice takes care of her mother.
14. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
(a) Calvin values Alice's opinion and wants to impress her.
(b) Calvin thinks it gives her an opportunity to improve her own writing.
(c) Calvin does not trust his editor at work.
(d) It saves Calvin time.
15. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
(a) Eating in New York restaurants.
(b) Bicycling in New York.
(c) Parking in New York.
(d) Riding a bus in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
2. How many siblings does Alice have?
3. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
4. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
5. What does Alice's father do for a living?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)