|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calvin states that he never sees Alice read which type of magazine?
2. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(a) The New Yorker.
(c) Times Magazine.
3. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Time is money."
(b) "Writing doesn't pay."
(c) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
(d) "Words Is Money."
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(b) Alice leans on her mother.
(c) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(d) Alice takes care of her mother.
5. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(b) His reluctance to speak.
(c) His dumb luck and good looks.
(d) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
6. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A boring college lecture.
(b) A desperate comedy routine.
(c) A winning job interview.
(d) A rough draft in need of edits.
7. In chapter three, what is the name of the publication in which Alice is featured in a fashion spread?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) Times Magazine.
8. Calvin states that he and his wife disagree about which of the following details from the night when they first meet?
(a) The hat and the pipe smoke.
(b) The hat and the punch bowl.
(c) The food and the beverages.
(d) The pipe smoke and the glow.
9. What does Alice's father do for a living?
(a) Alice's father is a researcher.
(b) Alice's father is a self-taught inventor.
(c) Alice's father is a coal miner.
(d) Alice's father is a vending machine repairman.
10. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
(a) A lass from Generation X.
(b) A dietitian in sensible shoes.
(c) A World War II nurse.
(d) A fast driver.
11. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
(b) Alice's beauty involves complications.
(c) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
(d) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
12. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
(b) "Where is my camera?"
13. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
(b) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(c) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
(d) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
14. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
(a) Alice takes out bank loans to finance her work with disadvantaged students.
(b) Alice takes out bank loans to pay for her cancer treatment.
(c) Alice takes out bank loans to invest in her father's vending machine invention.
(d) Alice takes out bank loans to tide her father over when he is low on money.
15. What is written on the envelope in which Alice keeps special items?
(a) Important Stuff.
(d) Trillin Family Mementos.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
2. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
3. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
4. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
5. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)