|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
(b) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(d) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
2. How many siblings does Alice have?
(a) None, Alice is an only child.
(b) Alice has two sisters.
(c) Alice has a twin sister.
(d) Alice has a brother and a sister.
3. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
(a) Alice's father is a sweet, optimistic man.
(b) Alice's father is pessimistic and irresponsible.
(c) Alice's father is cold and tightfisted with his money.
(d) Alice's father is realistic, responsible man.
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Mina Shaughnessy.
(b) Mary Francis.
(c) Alice's father.
(d) Nora Ephron.
5. In what year does Alice die?
6. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
7. Alice tells her husband that he peaks in which year?
8. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
(a) The cancer victim.
(b) The wicked witch.
(c) The voice of reason.
(d) The goofball.
9. What does Alice's father do for a living?
(a) Alice's father is a coal miner.
(b) Alice's father is a self-taught inventor.
(c) Alice's father is a researcher.
(d) Alice's father is a vending machine repairman.
10. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) City University of New York.
(b) Wellesley College.
(c) Hofstra University.
(d) New York University.
11. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A winning job interview.
(b) A boring college lecture.
(c) A desperate comedy routine.
(d) A rough draft in need of edits.
12. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
(a) Alice takes out bank loans to tide her father over when he is low on money.
(b) Alice takes out bank loans to pay for her cancer treatment.
(c) Alice takes out bank loans to finance her work with disadvantaged students.
(d) Alice takes out bank loans to invest in her father's vending machine invention.
13. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
(b) Impress Alice.
(c) Come out of his shell.
(d) Gain Alice's trust.
14. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A biography.
(b) A collection of comic short stories.
(c) A romance novel.
(d) A mystery novel.
15. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(b) Alice leans on her mother.
(c) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(d) Alice takes care of her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
2. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
3. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
4. In chapter one, Calvin includes an excerpt from a letter that Alice writes to a woman who is victimized. What Shakespeare play does she reference in her letter?
5. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)