|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(b) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
(c) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
(d) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
2. What is Alice's maiden name?
3. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
(a) Alice's parents.
(b) Stray animals.
(c) Cancer patients.
(d) Alice's children.
4. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
(a) Lung cancer.
(b) Ovarian cancer.
5. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(b) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(c) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(d) Her best friend's grave.
6. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
7. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Words Is Money."
(b) "Writing doesn't pay."
(c) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
(d) "Time is money."
8. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice leans on her mother.
(b) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(c) Alice takes care of her mother.
(d) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
9. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
(a) A year after Alice dies.
(b) The year before Alice's bypass surgery.
(c) A year before Alice dies.
(d) The year Alice is diagnosed with lung cancer.
10. In chapter one, what object does Alice wave in the air following Calvin's speech?
(a) A pen.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A book.
(d) A cigarette.
11. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(b) Times Magazine.
(d) The New Yorker.
12. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
(b) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
(c) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
(d) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
13. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
(a) A fast driver.
(b) A dietitian in sensible shoes.
(c) A World War II nurse.
(d) A lass from Generation X.
14. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) Hofstra University.
(b) New York University.
(c) Wellesley College.
(d) City University of New York.
15. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
(a) Alice's father is realistic, responsible man.
(b) Alice's father is a sweet, optimistic man.
(c) Alice's father is pessimistic and irresponsible.
(d) Alice's father is cold and tightfisted with his money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice tells her husband that he peaks in which year?
2. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
3. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
4. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
5. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)