|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) Hofstra University.
(b) City University of New York.
(c) Wellesley College.
(d) New York University.
2. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
(a) Alice's beauty opens doors in her career.
(b) Alice's beauty involves complications.
(c) Alice's beauty has no disadvantages.
(d) Alice's beauty makes her vain.
3. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
(a) A mystery novel.
(b) A biography.
(c) A romance novel.
(d) A collection of comic short stories.
4. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
(a) A fast driver.
(b) A lass from Generation X.
(c) A World War II nurse.
(d) A dietitian in sensible shoes.
5. What is Alice's maiden name?
6. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
7. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
(b) Guys with pipes.
8. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
(a) Parking in New York.
(b) Riding a bus in New York.
(c) Eating in New York restaurants.
(d) Bicycling in New York.
9. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
(a) Alice does not remember how to get home from the plant nursery.
(b) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer and does not receive a ticket.
(c) Alice is not asked for her identification at a bar.
(d) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer, and receives a ticket.
10. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Impress Alice.
(b) Come out of his shell.
(c) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
(d) Gain Alice's trust.
11. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
(a) A photo of Alice teaching in a classroom. It is taken when she is in her thirties.
(b) A photo of Alice taken in Italy. It is taken when she is in her fifties.
(c) A photo of Alice wearing a hat. It is taken when she is in her twenties.
(d) A photo of Alice gardening. It is taken when she is in her forties.
12. What disease does Alice's mother suffer from?
(b) Ovarian cancer.
(d) Lung cancer.
13. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
(a) A year after Alice dies.
(b) A year before Alice dies.
(c) The year Alice is diagnosed with lung cancer.
(d) The year before Alice's bypass surgery.
14. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(b) His reluctance to speak.
(c) His dumb luck and good looks.
(d) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
15. What is the headline for Alice's obituary in the Times?
(a) Educator, Wife and Mother.
(b) Social Activist, Author and Muse.
(c) College Instructor, Mother and Wife.
(d) Educator, Author and Muse.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
2. What is Alice's mother doing for a living when she meets Alice's father?
3. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
4. How many siblings does Alice have?
5. Where does Calvin keep one of the photos of Alice from the article in chapter three?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)