|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter seven, Trillin includes an excerpt from a New Yorker article written by Alice. What is the subject of that article?
(a) Her will to live. She wants to live to see her daughters get married.
(b) The tricky art of gardening in Nova Scotia.
(c) Socialism in the United States.
(d) The objectification of women in Hollywood.
2. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
(b) "Words Is Money."
(c) "Writing doesn't pay."
(d) "Time is money."
3. Which one of the following statements is true?
(a) For years, whenever Calvin is in an airport, he breaks down in tears.
(b) For years, Calvin worries that he too gets cancer and that their daughters are orphaned.
(c) For years, Calvin tries to convince Alice that she needs to quit smoking.
(d) For years, Calvin does not think or talk about his conversation with Alice's surgeon in 1976.
4. What is one of the projects completed by a company that Alice founded?
(a) A cigarette advertising campaign targeting teens.
(b) A textbook for medical students.
(c) A PBS series that describes various aspects of the visual and performing arts to children.
(d) A film about Calvin Trillin's career.
5. Who writes, "I am known among my friends and family as an incorrigible, even ridiculous optimist"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1976, one thing that troubles Trillin about the prospect of losing his wife is:
2. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
3. In chapter seven, Trillin recalls the following line from a radio sitcom he uses to listen to as a boy.
4. In chapter seven, Trillin recalls that he encourages Abigail to work at:
5. Alice reads this note from a Hole in the Wall Gang camper's parents:
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)