|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
2. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
(a) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(b) People who "don't have a very nice life" are not as lucky as Alice and Calvin.
(c) People who "don't have a very nice life" are obscenely rich.
(d) People who "don't have a very nice life" are financially well off, but physically ill people who "don't have a very nice life" ware not as attractive as she.
3. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(b) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice leans on her mother.
(b) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(c) Alice takes care of her mother.
(d) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
5. According to Calvin, his father is appalled by what kind of people?
(a) People who can't even afford groceries spending money on a cleaning woman.
(b) People who can't even afford rent traveling to Italy.
(c) People who can't even afford a cleaning woman living in a house that has to be rented most summers to pay the taxes.
(d) People who can't even afford sending their children to college spending money on fur coats.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
2. Of the following, which one best describes Calvin and Alice's first home?
3. At which institution does Alice teach English in her mid-twenties?
4. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
5. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)