|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
(a) " ... an intellectual in a time when women are only expected to be pretty."
(b) " ... the least cool person I have ever known."
(c) " ... the most loving and devoted mother in the world."
(d) " ... a role model to me and to women everywhere."
2. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
(b) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
3. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
(b) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
(c) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(d) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
4. In chapter six, what does a carpenter named Frank tell Alice during her home renovation project?
(a) I broke the banister.
(b) It's going to be worth the trouble. Your children grow up here.
(c) I underestimate the amount of money this project costs you.
(d) Sooner or later, we're all going to leave, and this is going to be your place.
5. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
(a) Isabelle Alice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
2. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
3. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
4. What point is Alice trying to make when she says that someone "doesn't have a very nice life"?
5. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)