|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(b) His dumb luck and good looks.
(c) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(d) His reluctance to speak.
2. Where does Calvin and Alice have a summer home?
(b) Nova Scotia.
(c) Greenwich Village.
(d) Long Island.
3. Why does Calvin not want to pay the contractor more money than he originally quotes for their home project?
(a) He breaks the banister.
(b) The estimated should be correct before starting the project.
(c) He does a bad job on the project.
(d) He steals Alice's fur coat.
4. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
(a) People with certain backgrounds, such as those in drug treatment programs, are unable to be taught.
(b) People with remedial skills cannot be taught.
(c) People who lack optimism cannot be taught.
(d) People who want to learn can be taught, no matter what their background.
5. What is one of Alice's pet peeves?
(a) Cigarette companies that give young people the impression that smoking is cool.
(b) Spending money on clothes.
(c) Traveling to foreign countries.
(d) Getting speeding tickets.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
2. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
3. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
4. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
5. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)