|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
(a) Alice takes out bank loans to tide her father over when he is low on money.
(b) Alice takes out bank loans to pay for her cancer treatment.
(c) Alice takes out bank loans to finance her work with disadvantaged students.
(d) Alice takes out bank loans to invest in her father's vending machine invention.
2. According to Calvin, what is the definition of an intellectual?
(a) Someone whose instinct is to analyze anything that happens and try to make some sense of it.
(b) Someone who knows the definition of holistic.
(c) Someone who knows how to translate heuristics.
(d) Someone who knows the definition of holistic. Someone who translates fluently from the Toltec.
3. In chapter five, Alice is quoted as saying the following about her mother:
(a) " ... the least cool person I have ever known."
(b) " ... a role model to me and to women everywhere."
(c) " ... an intellectual in a time when women are only expected to be pretty."
(d) " ... the most loving and devoted mother in the world."
4. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) Times Magazine.
5. Where does Calvin and Alice purchase their first home?
(a) Long Island.
(b) New York City.
(c) Nova Scotia.
(d) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alice spend her childhood?
2. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
3. Which of the following best describes "Of Dragons and Garden Peas"?
4. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
5. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)