|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Calvin's eldest daughter?
2. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
(a) Alice is spoiled. She grows up in a house with a backyard swimming pool and a basement bowling alley.
(b) Alice is not popular in school. She is the class brain and is virtually never asked out.
(c) Alice is poor and lives in squalor in a basement apartment in New York City.
(d) Alice is a pampered and wealthy girl who is captain of her cheerleading team.
3. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
(a) The Nation.
(b) The Daily News.
(c) The Times.
(d) The New Yorker.
4. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(b) His reluctance to speak.
(c) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(d) His dumb luck and good looks.
5. What word does Calvin use to describe the hotel room about which he argues with his wife while on a business trip?
Short Answer Questions
1. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
2. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
3. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
4. In Calvin's second poem in chapter three, he likens Alice to which of the following?
5. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)