|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
(a) Alice Trillin.
(b) Nora Ephron.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
2. Where does Alice's father grow up?
(a) New York's Westchester County.
(b) Nova Scotia.
(c) Rural North Carolina.
(d) New York City.
3. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
(a) A photo of Alice wearing a hat. It is taken when she is in her twenties.
(b) A photo of Alice taken in Italy. It is taken when she is in her fifties.
(c) A photo of Alice teaching in a classroom. It is taken when she is in her thirties.
(d) A photo of Alice gardening. It is taken when she is in her forties.
4. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
(a) Alice looks just like her mother.
(b) Alice looks like a dietitian in sensible shoes.
(c) Alice looks young for her age and still attracts men.
(d) Alice looks older than she is, due to her illness.
5. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's 50th birthday.
(b) Alice's views on taxation.
(c) Alice's intellectualism.
(d) Alice's 61st birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
2. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
3. What does Alice's father do for a living?
4. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
5. How does Calvin portray his wife Alice in books and magazine articles written before she dies?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)