|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His reluctance to speak.
(b) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(c) His dumb luck and good looks.
(d) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
2. According to Calvin, what is Alice wearing when he sees her for the first time?
(a) A yellow hat.
(b) A white hat.
(c) A black hat.
(d) A red hat.
3. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
(a) A year after Alice dies.
(b) A year before Alice dies.
(c) The year before Alice's bypass surgery.
(d) The year Alice is diagnosed with lung cancer.
4. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
(a) Alice looks just like her mother.
(b) Alice looks young for her age and still attracts men.
(c) Alice looks like a dietitian in sensible shoes.
(d) Alice looks older than she is, due to her illness.
5. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
(a) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer, and receives a ticket.
(b) Alice does not remember how to get home from the plant nursery.
(c) Alice is not asked for her identification at a bar.
(d) Alice is stopped for speeding by a police officer and does not receive a ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Calvin's youngest daughter?
2. Where does Alice's father first meet Alice's mother?
3. Which statement best describes Alice's upbringing?
4. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
5. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)