|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alice's maiden name?
2. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
(b) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
(c) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
(d) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
3. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three weeks.
4. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(b) His dumb luck and good looks.
(c) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(d) His reluctance to speak.
5. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
(a) A photo of Alice taken in Italy. It is taken when she is in her fifties.
(b) A photo of Alice teaching in a classroom. It is taken when she is in her thirties.
(c) A photo of Alice gardening. It is taken when she is in her forties.
(d) A photo of Alice wearing a hat. It is taken when she is in her twenties.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
2. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
3. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
4. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
5. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)