|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His dumb luck and good looks.
(b) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
(c) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(d) His reluctance to speak.
2. In what month and year does Calvin first meet Alice?
(a) December 1963.
(b) April 1965.
(c) December 1976.
(d) August 1990.
3. At which institution does Alice teach English in her mid-twenties?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Wellesley College.
(c) Hofstra Universtity.
(d) New York University.
4. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Impress Alice.
(b) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
(c) Come out of his shell.
(d) Gain Alice's trust.
5. In the days when he is renovating his home, Trillin has this quote above his typewriter.
(a) "Money doesn't grow on trees."
(b) "Words Is Money."
(c) "Writing doesn't pay."
(d) "Time is money."
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Alice when she is asked to be photographed by Doug Kirkland and model spring fashions in a magazine?
2. According to Calvin, what photo of Alice appears on the cover of the program at her memorial service?
3. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
4. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
5. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)