|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(b) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(c) Alice leans on her mother.
(d) Alice takes care of her mother.
2. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's 50th birthday.
(b) Alice's views on taxation.
(c) Alice's 61st birthday.
(d) Alice's intellectualism.
3. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
(a) Dick Francis.
(b) Roger Wilkins.
(c) Richard Harris.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy.
4. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
(a) Alice looks like a dietitian, but in actuality she is a talented writer.
(b) Alice is not pampered or snooty, despite the fact that she grows up in an affluent town and attends a prestigious college.
(c) Alice is seriously pampered and snooty in high school.
(d) Alice is known as the class beauty and most popular cheerleader in high school.
5. When does Calvin read the obituary of Dick Francis' wife?
(a) A year after Alice dies.
(b) A year before Alice dies.
(c) The year before Alice's bypass surgery.
(d) The year Alice is diagnosed with lung cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
2. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
3. How does Calvin characterize his father-in-law?
4. How does Calvin describe the impact of Alice's beauty on her life?
5. According to Calvin, what does Alice exclaim when encountering a deer in a forest?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)