|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His dumb luck and good looks.
(b) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(c) His reluctance to speak.
(d) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
2. Calvin claims that the first time he sees Alice, he detects what quality about her heritage?
(a) Alice is European.
(b) Alice is Swedish.
(c) Alice is Jewish.
(d) Alice is Irish.
3. Where does Alice attend college?
(a) Wellesley College.
(b) City University of New York.
(c) New York University.
(d) Hofstra University.
4. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Mary Francis.
(b) Alice's father.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Nora Ephron.
5. In chapter one, Calvin includes an excerpt from a letter that Alice writes to a woman who is victimized. What Shakespeare play does she reference in her letter?
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) King Lear.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what kinds of men are attracted to Alice?
2. At the end of chapter three, Calvin describes an event in Alice's life that takes her by surprise. What happens?
3. Of the following, which does Calvin NOT list among those Alice frequently takes care of?
4. In chapter two, how much time passes between Calvin's first and second meeting with Alice?
5. What is the first book that Calvin writes after he meets Alice?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)