|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes the condolence letter that makes Calvin laugh?
(a) Richard Harris.
(b) Roger Wilkins.
(c) Mina Shaughnessy.
(d) Dick Francis.
2. According to Calvin, he never stops trying to do what?
(a) Gain Alice's trust.
(b) Come out of his shell.
(c) Impress Alice.
(d) Remember what Alice is wearing the night he meets her.
3. What is Alice's reasoning for agreeing to be photographed in a fashion issue of a magazine?
(a) Alice thinks it is a good way to make money.
(b) Alice thinks it helps her parents receive better treatment by the nurses at the nursing home where they live.
(c) Alice thinks it helps her launch a modeling career.
(d) Alice thinks it helps her husband receive better reviews of his work by critics.
4. What is the theme of the poem at the introduction of chapter three?
(a) Alice's views on taxation.
(b) Alice's intellectualism.
(c) Alice's 61st birthday.
(d) Alice's 50th birthday.
5. According to Calvin, what leads to his success in courting Alice?
(a) His reluctance to speak.
(b) His dumb luck and one or two deliberate moves.
(c) His dumb luck and good looks.
(d) His pipe smoking and fame as a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, who writes the article that accompanies the fashion spread in which Alice is featured?
2. According to Calvin, which of the following best describes Alice at age fifty?
3. What is written on the envelope in which Alice keeps special items?
4. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
5. What reasons does Calvin give for stating that "Alice doesn't look like who she is"?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)