|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1976, one thing that troubles Trillin about the prospect of losing his wife is:
(a) That he cannot imagine himself cooking every meal for his girls.
(b) That he cannot imagine trusting anyone else to be involved in raising their girls.
(c) That he cannot imagine helping the girls with their homework on his own.
(d) That he cannot imagine teaching his girls how to drive in New York City without Alice's help.
2. What is the Alice Tax?
(a) An idea to place a limit on how much money people keep for themselves.
(b) An idea for raising funds through college alumni associations.
(c) A fine assessed to her children when they behave badly.
(d) A fee that Alice charges her husband for reading his rough drafts.
3. In chapter two, what fact about Dick Francis and his wife does Calvin share with the reader?
(a) Francis relies on his wife to help him produce his books.
(b) Francis and his wife meet at a magazine party.
(c) Francis' wife is a frequent character in her husband's books.
(d) Francis is serious, and his wife never stops trying to impress him.
4. Of the following, which one is an accurate statement of Calvin's views?
(a) Alice is better educated than her husband.
(b) Alice is unable to provide constructive criticism.
(c) Alice is better at reading than writing.
(d) Alice is not as educated as her husband.
5. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
(a) Mary Francis.
(b) Nora Ephron.
(c) Alice's father.
(d) Mina Shaughnessy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In an e-mail, what does Alice say she is watching on TV the day after her daughter Abigail's wedding?
2. In chapter seven, Trillin states that Abigail works for:
3. What does Sarah do for a living?
4. According to Trillin, what does Alice want him to do with the money he saves during college?
5. According to Trillin, Alice always says what about parents?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)