|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter five, an article on what subject in the Times enraged Alice?
(b) A cigarette smoking lounge.
(c) A cigarette smoking ban.
2. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
(a) Alice takes out bank loans to pay for her cancer treatment.
(b) Alice takes out bank loans to invest in her father's vending machine invention.
(c) Alice takes out bank loans to tide her father over when he is low on money.
(d) Alice takes out bank loans to finance her work with disadvantaged students.
3. Where does Alice's father first meet Alice's mother?
(a) Greenwich Village.
(b) The Empire State Building.
(c) At a bowling alley.
(d) At a swimming pool.
4. At the end of chapter three, Calvin tells a story about Alice in which she makes an annual trip to which of the following locations?
(a) A summer home in Nova Scotia.
(b) A plant nursery in New Jersey.
(c) A brownstone in Greenwich Village.
(d) Her best friend's grave.
5. Who writes, "In the days after that bone scan, I can't find a hopeful way out ..."?
(a) Mary Francis.
(b) Mina Shaughnessy.
(c) Alice Trillin.
(d) Nora Ephron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
2. Chapter eight begins with an excerpt from which book?
3. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
4. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
5. Which governor does Alice tease about being a Republican?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)