|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "She wants to protect us from worry, from sadness, from loneliness ..."?
(a) Alice's mother.
2. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
(b) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
(c) He begins to feel scared.
(d) He has new reason to hope.
3. Chapter seven begins with a New Yorker excerpt in which he discusses the following:
(a) Attending school plays.
(b) Rabbis and farmers.
(c) The difference between Chicago and New York style pizza.
(d) Bowling alleys and swimming pools.
4. Why does Alice buy a fur coat?
(a) To wear during the cold New York City winters.
(b) To wear during the cold Nova Scotia winters.
(c) To wear on a trip to Alaska.
(d) To wear to a fashion show.
5. In what publication is Alice's op-ed article on the subject of a smoking ban in New York City published?
(a) The Daily News.
(b) The Nation.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) The Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
2. According to Calvin, why does he show Alice everything he writes in rough draft?
3. What is the name of the City College program in which Alice teaches under-prepared students?
4. In chapter six, Trillin states that studies show most marital disagreements are about:
5. According to Calvin, Alice believes which one of the following statements to be true?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)