|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which phrase best characterizes the relationship that Alice has with her parents?
(a) Alice's parents solve all of her problems for her.
(b) Alice acts as caretaker to her parents.
(c) Alice admires her parents and models her own parenting style on theirs.
(d) Alice is spoiled. She is the center of her parent's lives.
2. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He has new reason to hope.
(b) He begins to feel scared.
(c) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
(d) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
3. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
(a) That it is a good idea for Calvin to have his wife look at his first drafts.
(b) That Calvin reads his own rough drafts.
(c) That Calvin shows his wife final drafts.
(d) That it is unwise of Calvin to show his wife his rough drafts.
4. Finish this sentence: Calvin states that if he works in a corporate job ...
(a) Alice helps him prepare for sales presentations.
(b) Alice prevents him from climbing the corporate ladder.
(c) Alice helps him move up the corporate ladder.
(d) Alice competes with him for a job.
5. In chapter two, how does Calvin characterize his behavior during his second meeting with Alice?
(a) A boring college lecture.
(b) A desperate comedy routine.
(c) A rough draft in need of edits.
(d) A winning job interview.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
2. Trillin states that while on a trip to a foreign country, the main subject for discussion by American tourists is ...
3. According to Calvin, why does Alice take out bank loans in her twenties?
4. According to Calvin, Alice has especially strong views about which of the following subjects?
5. In chapter three, Calvin includes a quote from a friend of Alice who speaks at her memorial service. Who is this person?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)