|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter seven, Trillin recalls the following line from a radio sitcom he uses to listen to as a boy.
(b) "'Tain't funny, McGee."
(c) "Having a family intellectual available comes in handy when you need to translate words like 'holistic' or 'heuristics.'"
(d) "There is nothing funny about a dietitian in sensible shoes."
2. At the end of chapter two, Calvin states that he is reviewing the galleys of a book. What is the book's subject?
(a) Bicycling in New York.
(b) Riding a bus in New York.
(c) Eating in New York restaurants.
(d) Parking in New York.
3. In chapter five, what does Calvin state about his conversation with Alice's doctor following her bypass operation?
(a) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to participate in charades.
(b) He begins to feel scared.
(c) He has new reason to hope.
(d) He is disappointed that Alice no longer is able to play tennis.
4. Alice serves on the board of what organization for children with cancer and other illnesses?
(c) Connecticut Woods.
(d) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
5. In chapter four, an encounter is described taking place in an elevator between Alice and a young boy with cancer. What does he say about her type of cancer?
(a) "That's bad."
(b) "That's the worst kind."
(c) "They treat that like the common cold."
(d) "That's a dragon you can't slay."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that strikes Calvin about Alice when he sees her for the first time?
2. How old are Alice's daughters when she has her first surgery following her cancer diagnosis?
3. What is Alice's Law of Compensatory Cash Flow?
4. In chapter eight, Trillin reveals that, like Alice, he undergoes which surgery?
5. Where is Abigail's wedding ceremony?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)