|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the projects completed by a company that Alice founded?
(a) A film about Calvin Trillin's career.
(b) A cigarette advertising campaign targeting teens.
(c) A PBS series that describes various aspects of the visual and performing arts to children.
(d) A textbook for medical students.
2. What is one of the most negative words that Alice uses to describe a person?
3. In chapter three, Calvin includes an excerpt from an article that Alice writes about her parents. Which of the following statements summarizes the point makes in the excerpt?
(a) Alice looks to her mother for advice on how to be a better parent.
(b) Alice leans on her mother.
(c) Alice's mother does not accept the help of others.
(d) Alice takes care of her mother.
4. Which one of the following values does Alice NOT teach her children, according to Trillin?
(a) Find meaning in the work you do.
(b) Do not over-value financial success.
(c) Smoking is a personal freedom that should be defended and protected.
(d) Worry about being kind and generous to people.
5. What is Alice's phrase for living in surroundings that are less than nice?
(a) A living nightmare.
(b) Living like a graduate student.
(c) Living in squalor.
(d) Living in a tree house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the magazine that hosts the party where Calvin first meets Alice?
2. What advice does Calvin receive in the 1960s from an older writer at work?
3. Why does Alice write a letter to Bruno Navasky?
4. According to Calvin, what is Alice wearing when he sees her for the first time?
5. What is the name of Alice's friend and colleague who has ovarian cancer?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)