|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
2. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
3. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
4. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Act 1, Scene 3, what is the relationship of Lincoln to Nancy and Bowling Green?
2. What is Lincoln's feeling about his career prospects as a young adult studying English in New Salem?
3. Ninian Edwards, Lincoln's friend and brother-in-law of Mary Todd, enters with a gift and a wedding day message to Lincoln. What do the gift and the message tell the audience about Mary Todd?
4. Nancy Green and Bowling Green have a disagreement about whether Ann Rutledge is good for Lincoln. What are their respective opinions?
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, Elizabeth Edwards and her sister, Mary Todd, have a spirited discussion about Abraham Lincoln and whether he would be a good match for Mary Todd. What does their argument tell the audience about the sisters' personalities?
6. Is Lincoln liked or disliked in the community of New Salem, according to his teacher in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. William Herndon reacts vehemently to Lincoln's denunciation of Mary Todd's ambitions for Lincoln. What does Herndon, who is somewhat drunk, tell Lincoln?
8. How desperate is Lincoln and what is the event that seems to have caused his emotional outbreak?
9. Describe the setting in Act 2, Scene 5 (the parlor of the Edwards' home) and explain what the setting is meant to tell the audience.
10. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Lincoln is about to attend an event that will change his life. Where is he going and what is going to happen there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
His visit with Seth Gale in Act 2, Scene 6 has an emotional effect on Lincoln. What did the two men talk about? How did their conversation affect Lincoln?
Essay Topic 2
Mentor Graham, Lincoln's teacher, is discussing the imperative mood. He points out that an imperative is not always a direct or even obvious command, and he has Lincoln read a newspaper account of a speech by Daniel Webster to the U.S. Senate. What is the topic of the speech and what is it that Webster is asking of the Senate? Explain how you know that Webster is using the imperative.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Todd is a determined woman, according to her depiction in the play. She settles on Lincoln as a husband over the objections of her sister and even takes him back after he jilts her and is out of touch for several years. Meanwhile, his words and demeanor suggest that Lincoln might have had other motives than love in wanting to join his destiny with Mary's. After 18 years, they do not seem happily married and, when he is elected, they argue. Besides love, what were Lincoln's motives in marrying Mary Todd? What were her motives for agreeing? Was their decision to marry good or bad? Support your opinion with examples from the play.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)