|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinction does Lincoln draw between the slaves and downtrodden workers in the North?
(a) The workers live with harsh winters, the slaves do not.
(b) Slaves live on plantations, workers live in cities.
(c) The slaves can run away, the workers cannot.
(d) The workers have the right to strike, slaves do not.
2. What is Mary Todd's reaction to word of Lincoln's arrival at her home In Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) She is shocked because she is now married to someone else.
(b) She is enraged and slams the door.
(c) She is startled, but agrees to see him.
(d) She is surprised; tears pour down her cheeks.
3. What is the dream from ancient times that Lincoln speaks of in his farewell?
(a) The dream of stepping foot on the moon.
(b) Mankind's dream of shaking off chains and finding freedom in the brotherhood of life.
(c) A hope that every child will be born with a silver spoon for safe-keeping.
(d) A dream that every home will have a chicken in every pot.
4. What does Seth Gale suggest might happen if slavery spreads West to new states and territories?
(a) He predicts settlers will raise an army and declare war.
(b) He says settlers might form another country or move to Canada.
(c) He thinks the Mexicans will attack if slavery spreads.
(d) He says settlers will be satisfied, regardless of the state of slavery.
5. What has Lincoln been doing since breaking his engagement to Mary Todd?
(a) Studying to become a missionary preacher.
(b) Practicing law and building a fortune.
(c) Just drifting, down around Kentucky and Indiana.
(d) Teaching down in Kentucky and Indiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sentence that Lincoln tells his farewell crowd is true and appropriate for all times and occasions?
2. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
3. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
4. How does Lincoln frequently begin a sentence after his election?
5. The influential men visiting Lincoln ask about his views on which two topics?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)