|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(b) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(c) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(d) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
2. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
(a) South Carolina's decision to break away from North Carolina; the speaker approves.
(b) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker approves.
(c) The upcoming union of North and South; the speaker objects.
(d) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker objects.
3. Who does Ninian Edwards believe might be instigating the prospect of marriage between Abe Lincoln and Mary Todd?
(a) Elizabeth Edwards' father.
(b) Judge Bowling Green.
(c) Mary Todd.
(d) Abe Lincoln.
4. In Act 2, Scene 5, does Lincoln ask Mary Todd to marry him?
(a) No, but she plans to pop the question that evening.
(b) Yes, but she says she can't quite decide.
(c) Yes, but Elizabeth's objections put the matter on hold.
(d) No, but she expects he will ask that evening.
5. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
(b) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(c) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(d) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
2. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
3. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
4. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
5. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary Todd characterize the man her sister married and the life they have together? And what is wrong with that life, according to Mary Todd?
2. How desperate is Lincoln and what is the event that seems to have caused his emotional outbreak?
3. Why is it that debt is always heavy on Lincoln's mind during his early adulthood, covered by Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Act 1, Scene 2 portrays Lincoln's first step toward a political destiny. The audience (or reader) knows that Lincoln will become one of the country's great Presidents. What symbols does the author use in this scene to heighten that feeling of political destiny?
5. What is Josh Speed's opinion of Lincoln's personality and prospects, now that Lincoln is in the State Assembly?
6. Does Lincoln appear to be emotionally stable just after he announces the death of Ann Rutledge?
7. When Josh Speed burns Lincoln's letter to Mary Todd, Lincoln tells him the real reasons he doesn't want to go through with the marriage. What are his real reasons?
8. As Lincoln contemplates breaking his engagement, Josh Speeds urges him to wait until he, Lincoln, is feeling calmer. Lincoln responds that he is desperate to have the matter settled. What is Josh Speed's larger concern about Lincoln under the circumstances?
9. The informal committee that came to recruit Lincoln to run for State Assembly in Act 1, Scene 2 has a larger political purpose in mind. What is it?
10. By Act 2, Scene 4, it is clear that Lincoln's friendship with Ninian Edwards (the governor's son) has advanced. What evidence does Lincoln offer of his popularity?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)