Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
(a) Whoopi Goldberg.
(b) Ninian Edwards.
(c) Bowling Green.
(d) Elizabeth Edwards.
2. What is it that the visitors to Lincoln's home in Act 3, Scene 10 want to talk about with him?
(a) Opening a local branch of Macy's.
(b) Taking over the Department of Justice.
(c) Shutting down the abolitionist newspaper.
(d) Running for President of the United States.
3. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Seth Gale's good friend, Gobey.
(b) The Gale family slave, Gobey.
(c) Gobey, a free negro who works for the family.
(d) Gobey, a runaway slave.
4. What are Lincoln's visitors really looking for in their candidate for President?
(a) Someone honest enough to tell voters the truth, regardless of the consequences.
(b) A man who will appeal to Southerners leaning toward secession.
(c) A candidate with enough education to appeal to businessmen.
(d) Someone who will do what they tell him, both before and after the election.
5. How does Lincoln conclude his prayer for the health of Jimmy Gale?
(a) "Give us all strength, oh God, to do the work that is before us."
(b) "Grant this boy the breath to live long enough to bury his father."
(c) "Grant us the will to fight for the vitality of our nation."
(d) "Give us the strength to bear the death of this young boy."
6. To which of Shakespeare's characters does Douglas compare Lincoln?
7. What state delivers the final votes needed for Lincoln's victory?
(b) New York.
8. After 18 years of marriage to Lincoln, what is it that Mary Todd is bitter about?
(a) Lincoln habitually puts his muddy boots on expensive furnishings.
(b) Lincoln spends too much time reading and not enough attention to her.
(c) Lincoln still isn't politically ambitious enough to suit her.
(d) Lincoln chain smokes all over the house.
9. What is Mary Todd's reaction to word of Lincoln's arrival at her home In Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) She is enraged and slams the door.
(b) She is surprised; tears pour down her cheeks.
(c) She is startled, but agrees to see him.
(d) She is shocked because she is now married to someone else.
10. What does Seth Gale's wife want for her sick son, besides the help of a doctor?
(a) A minister to say a prayer.
(b) A college scholarship so he won't have to live on the prairie.
(c) A bathtub full of cool water to calm his fever.
(d) A minister to drive the evil spirits from his soul.
11. What are Mary's first words to Abe when he arrives after a two-year absence?
(a) "I always knew you would return to me, Abe."
(b) "You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Lincoln."
(c) "I'm glad to see you again, Mr. Lincoln."
(d) "Mr. Lincoln, you are not my idea of a good man."
12. How old is Lincoln as he leaves Illinois for the White House?
13. How is Lincoln's appearance different from Election Day?
(a) He is walking with a cane.
(b) He has shaved his head.
(c) There is a patch over one eye.
(d) He has a beard.
14. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
(a) "Muscular and tall, Judge Douglas commands attention with his merest glance."
(b) "He is a titan, with a voice that rolls like thunder."
(c) "He is a brief but magnetic man, confident of his power."
(d) "The judge is an elfin man, with a voice to match."
15. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
(a) Aiming verbal volleys with the accuracy of a sharpshooter.
(b) Flinging words like David flung stones.
(c) Tossing verbal lightning bolts with lethal force.
(d) Inserting daggers between an opponent's ribs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of President-elect Lincoln's bodyguard?
2. What is the essential element Lincoln's party is seeking in a presidential candidate when they ask him to run?
3. What does Jack Armstrong tell Seth Gale about Lincoln while they wait for Lincoln's arrival in Act 2, Scene 7?
4. What is Mary Todd Lincoln's response to her husband's suggestion that she go home?
5. What does Lincoln do with his notes before he begins speaking in the debate with Douglas?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)