|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the crowd outside receiving voting results?
(a) Announcements are made by loudspeaker.
(b) Through their Twitter accounts.
(c) A crier shouts the results from the roof of the State House.
(d) By images flashed by a magic lantern outside the State House.
2. How many candidates are seeking the presidency?
3. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
4. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Gobey, a free negro who works for the family.
(b) Gobey, a runaway slave.
(c) The Gale family slave, Gobey.
(d) Seth Gale's good friend, Gobey.
5. What happens when Seth Gale's boy takes a turn for the worse before the doctor arrives at the end of Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Jack Armstrong applies a mustard paste to the boy's chest.
(b) Lincoln breaks down in tears at the injustice.
(c) The boy's mother gives him mouth to mouth resuscitation.
(d) Lincoln says a prayer for the boy's recovery.
6. What does Lincoln do with his notes before he begins speaking in the debate with Douglas?
(a) Sticks them under his chair.
(b) Puts them in his hat.
(c) Rips them to pieces.
(d) Puts them on the podium.
7. What's the first thing one of the guests in Act 3, Scene 10 does after sitting down in the Lincolns' parlor?
(a) Spills tea on the sofa.
(b) Congratulates Lincoln on the beauty of the house.
(c) Asks permission to smoke a cigar.
(d) Offers Lincoln a job running his company.
8. What is the sentence that Lincoln tells his farewell crowd is true and appropriate for all times and occasions?
(a) "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."
(b) "This is the day the Lord has made."
(c) "And this, too, shall pass away."
(d) "One step for man, a giant step for mankind."
9. What does Seth Gale's wife want for her sick son, besides the help of a doctor?
(a) A bathtub full of cool water to calm his fever.
(b) A minister to drive the evil spirits from his soul.
(c) A college scholarship so he won't have to live on the prairie.
(d) A minister to say a prayer.
10. What plans are afoot in South Carolina in case of a Lincoln victory?
(a) Emancipation of slaves in the state.
(b) A 10,000-man march on Washington.
(c) Secession from the Union.
(d) A Republican victory celebration with fireworks.
11. How old is Lincoln as he leaves Illinois for the White House?
12. What has Lincoln been doing since breaking his engagement to Mary Todd?
(a) Practicing law and building a fortune.
(b) Teaching down in Kentucky and Indiana.
(c) Studying to become a missionary preacher.
(d) Just drifting, down around Kentucky and Indiana.
13. How does Lincoln frequently begin a sentence after his election?
(a) "If I live..."
(b) "As I live and breath..."
(d) "Funnily enough..."
14. How many states are there on Election Day, 1860?
15. What song does the band play as Lincoln departs?
(a) "Ave Maria."
(b) "Let It Be."
(c) "John Brown's Body."
(d) "Happy Days Are Here Again."
Short Answer Questions
1. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
2. What are Lincoln's visitors really looking for in their candidate for President?
3. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
4. How is Lincoln's appearance different from Election Day?
5. What legal case established that slaves should be considered property?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)