|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Mary's first words to Abe when he arrives after a two-year absence?
(a) "I'm glad to see you again, Mr. Lincoln."
(b) "Mr. Lincoln, you are not my idea of a good man."
(c) "I always knew you would return to me, Abe."
(d) "You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Lincoln."
2. What is the mood of the crowd surging around Lincoln at the railroad station?
(a) Disapproving and sullen.
(b) Happy and admiring.
(c) There was no crowd, it was pouring rain.
(d) Hostile and silent.
3. Asked how he'll feel if he loses, how does Lincoln predict he will feel?
(a) Crushed beyond belief.
(b) The greatest sense of relief.
(c) As flustered as a toad in hot water.
(d) Afraid to face Mary.
4. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
(a) He's afraid to take Gobey across state borders because he doesn't have a passport.
(b) He's fearful Gobey's previous owner will appear to reclaim him.
(c) He believes Gobey is planning to escape on the Underground Railroad.
(d) He's careful to stay in free territory to avoid Gobey being kidnapped and sold into slavery.
5. What is Lincoln considering as his first act as president?
(a) Freeing the slaves.
(b) Abolishing the Supreme Court.
(c) Growing a beard.
(d) Annexing Texas.
6. After 18 years of marriage to Lincoln, what is it that Mary Todd is bitter about?
(a) Lincoln still isn't politically ambitious enough to suit her.
(b) Lincoln chain smokes all over the house.
(c) Lincoln spends too much time reading and not enough attention to her.
(d) Lincoln habitually puts his muddy boots on expensive furnishings.
7. What is the essential element Lincoln's party is seeking in a presidential candidate when they ask him to run?
(a) A willingness to raise taxes.
(b) The ability to get elected.
(c) A strong military policy.
(d) An anti-slavery attitude.
8. What does Seth Gale's wife want for her sick son, besides the help of a doctor?
(a) A college scholarship so he won't have to live on the prairie.
(b) A minister to drive the evil spirits from his soul.
(c) A bathtub full of cool water to calm his fever.
(d) A minister to say a prayer.
9. Who, in Lincoln's headquarters, is the most anxious about the voting returns?
(a) Mary Todd Lincoln.
(b) Josh Speed.
(c) Robert Lincoln.
(d) Ninian Edwards.
10. What are Lincoln's visitors really looking for in their candidate for President?
(a) A candidate with enough education to appeal to businessmen.
(b) Someone who will do what they tell him, both before and after the election.
(c) A man who will appeal to Southerners leaning toward secession.
(d) Someone honest enough to tell voters the truth, regardless of the consequences.
11. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
(a) Their big dreams for their son's future.
(b) The success they've achieved with the dry-cleaning business.
(c) The relationship they've developed with Gobey.
(d) The care they have for the nation and the possiblity they will abandon America if slavery spreads.
12. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) She appears to hesitate, keeping him wondering for a moment if she will accept.
(b) She bursts into tears and says she must marry him because he has ruined her reputation.
(c) She clutches him tightly, declares her undying love and begins sobbing.
(d) She dances happily into his arms and pulls his beard while saying yes.
13. What does Lincoln ask Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) To leave town so he and Ninian Edwards can resume their friendship.
(b) To contribute to his campaign.
(c) To be his wife.
(d) To move west to Oregon with him and Seth Gale.
14. How does Lincoln frequently begin a sentence after his election?
(b) "As I live and breath..."
(c) "Funnily enough..."
(d) "If I live..."
15. What happens when Seth Gale's boy takes a turn for the worse before the doctor arrives at the end of Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) The boy's mother gives him mouth to mouth resuscitation.
(b) Lincoln breaks down in tears at the injustice.
(c) Lincoln says a prayer for the boy's recovery.
(d) Jack Armstrong applies a mustard paste to the boy's chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. The influential men visiting Lincoln ask about his views on which two topics?
2. What are the railroad workers in Illinois doing, according to Douglas, to protest their low wages?
3. What institution does Douglas use to bolster his argument that negroes are not equal under the Constitution?
4. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
5. What causes Lincoln to change his mind about his future?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)