|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the dream from ancient times that Lincoln speaks of in his farewell?
(a) Mankind's dream of shaking off chains and finding freedom in the brotherhood of life.
(b) A dream that every home will have a chicken in every pot.
(c) A hope that every child will be born with a silver spoon for safe-keeping.
(d) The dream of stepping foot on the moon.
2. How does Lincoln frequently begin a sentence after his election?
(a) "As I live and breath..."
(b) "Funnily enough..."
(c) "If I live..."
3. Who is Lincoln's main rival for the presidency?
(a) Uriah Heep.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Stephen Douglas.
(d) William Herndon.
4. What does Seth Gale's wife want for her sick son, besides the help of a doctor?
(a) A college scholarship so he won't have to live on the prairie.
(b) A minister to drive the evil spirits from his soul.
(c) A minister to say a prayer.
(d) A bathtub full of cool water to calm his fever.
5. What is Mary Todd Lincoln's response to her husband's suggestion that she go home?
(a) She turns silently and leaves the room.
(b) She becomes hysterical and says her husband hates her.
(c) She laughs and insists she's staying until the bitter end.
(d) She bursts into tears and slaps him.
6. What is Lincoln doing as he waits for the voting results?
(a) Bouncing a tennis ball.
(b) Reading newspapers.
(c) Pacing nervously.
(d) Writing his memoirs.
7. What is the fear of those assigned to protect Lincoln on his way to Washington?
(a) He will run away to Canada.
(b) Angry Southerners will kill him.
(c) His train will be bombed.
(d) Mary Todd Lincoln will smother him with a pillow.
8. What are Mary's first words to Abe when he arrives after a two-year absence?
(a) "You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Lincoln."
(b) "I always knew you would return to me, Abe."
(c) "Mr. Lincoln, you are not my idea of a good man."
(d) "I'm glad to see you again, Mr. Lincoln."
9. What has Lincoln been doing since breaking his engagement to Mary Todd?
(a) Studying to become a missionary preacher.
(b) Teaching down in Kentucky and Indiana.
(c) Practicing law and building a fortune.
(d) Just drifting, down around Kentucky and Indiana.
10. How does Lincoln describe Douglas' verbal skills?
(a) He keeps 10 daggers flashing in the air.
(b) He juggles bullets.
(c) He slings arrows like Zeus.
(d) He uses smoke and mirrors.
11. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) She dances happily into his arms and pulls his beard while saying yes.
(b) She clutches him tightly, declares her undying love and begins sobbing.
(c) She appears to hesitate, keeping him wondering for a moment if she will accept.
(d) She bursts into tears and says she must marry him because he has ruined her reputation.
12. To which of Shakespeare's characters does Douglas compare Lincoln?
13. What is the name of President-elect Lincoln's bodyguard?
14. What is Lincoln considering as his first act as president?
(a) Growing a beard.
(b) Annexing Texas.
(c) Abolishing the Supreme Court.
(d) Freeing the slaves.
15. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
(a) Inserting daggers between an opponent's ribs.
(b) Tossing verbal lightning bolts with lethal force.
(c) Aiming verbal volleys with the accuracy of a sharpshooter.
(d) Flinging words like David flung stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Mary Todd extract from Lincoln before agreeing to marry him?
2. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
3. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 10, Lincoln is sitting in his parlor with his sons. How many did he have?
4. The influential men visiting Lincoln ask about his views on which two topics?
5. What are Lincoln's visitors really looking for in their candidate for President?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)