|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Seth Gale's young son?
2. What song does the band play as Lincoln departs?
(a) "Happy Days Are Here Again."
(b) "John Brown's Body."
(c) "Let It Be."
(d) "Ave Maria."
3. What is Mary Todd Lincoln's response to her husband's suggestion that she go home?
(a) She laughs and insists she's staying until the bitter end.
(b) She bursts into tears and slaps him.
(c) She becomes hysterical and says her husband hates her.
(d) She turns silently and leaves the room.
4. Mary Todd enters Act 2, Scene 10 while Lincoln is talking with his sons and objects to something the oldest son is doing. What is it?
(a) Smoking in the parlor.
(b) Putting his feet on the furniture.
(c) Scratching under his arm.
(d) Playing the piano with sticky fingers.
5. What happens when Seth Gale's boy takes a turn for the worse before the doctor arrives at the end of Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Jack Armstrong applies a mustard paste to the boy's chest.
(b) Lincoln breaks down in tears at the injustice.
(c) Lincoln says a prayer for the boy's recovery.
(d) The boy's mother gives him mouth to mouth resuscitation.
6. How many candidates are seeking the presidency?
7. What has Lincoln been doing since breaking his engagement to Mary Todd?
(a) Studying to become a missionary preacher.
(b) Teaching down in Kentucky and Indiana.
(c) Practicing law and building a fortune.
(d) Just drifting, down around Kentucky and Indiana.
8. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Gobey, a runaway slave.
(b) Seth Gale's good friend, Gobey.
(c) The Gale family slave, Gobey.
(d) Gobey, a free negro who works for the family.
9. What is the mood of the crowd surging around Lincoln at the railroad station?
(a) Hostile and silent.
(b) Happy and admiring.
(c) Disapproving and sullen.
(d) There was no crowd, it was pouring rain.
10. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
(a) She knows her lack of confidence in his ability made him sad.
(b) She agrees her incessant chatter drove Lincoln crazy.
(c) She acknowledges pushing him too hard to fulfill her ambitions.
(d) She admits her love was based on financial greed.
11. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
(a) Aiming verbal volleys with the accuracy of a sharpshooter.
(b) Inserting daggers between an opponent's ribs.
(c) Tossing verbal lightning bolts with lethal force.
(d) Flinging words like David flung stones.
12. How is the crowd outside receiving voting results?
(a) Announcements are made by loudspeaker.
(b) By images flashed by a magic lantern outside the State House.
(c) A crier shouts the results from the roof of the State House.
(d) Through their Twitter accounts.
13. What promise does Mary Todd extract from Lincoln before agreeing to marry him?
(a) He will submit to a thorough psychiatric evaluation.
(b) He will never again falter or run away from her.
(c) He promises to take her advice in every situation.
(d) He vows to work day and night to become President for her.
14. What are Mary's first words to Abe when he arrives after a two-year absence?
(a) "I'm glad to see you again, Mr. Lincoln."
(b) "You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Lincoln."
(c) "Mr. Lincoln, you are not my idea of a good man."
(d) "I always knew you would return to me, Abe."
15. How is Lincoln's appearance different from Election Day?
(a) There is a patch over one eye.
(b) He has a beard.
(c) He is walking with a cane.
(d) He has shaved his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln doing as he waits for the voting results?
2. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
3. What do the red flags mean in the map of states in Lincoln's campaign headquarters?
4. What causes Lincoln to change his mind about his future?
5. How does Lincoln describe Douglas' verbal skills?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)