|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
(a) Inserting daggers between an opponent's ribs.
(b) Aiming verbal volleys with the accuracy of a sharpshooter.
(c) Flinging words like David flung stones.
(d) Tossing verbal lightning bolts with lethal force.
2. What is the essential element Lincoln's party is seeking in a presidential candidate when they ask him to run?
(a) The ability to get elected.
(b) A strong military policy.
(c) A willingness to raise taxes.
(d) An anti-slavery attitude.
3. What is the last line of the play, sung by the crowd?
(a) "Happy days are here again."
(b) "His soul goes marching on."
(c) "He stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni."
(d) "God bless America."
4. To which of Shakespeare's characters does Douglas compare Lincoln?
5. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
6. How is the crowd outside receiving voting results?
(a) Through their Twitter accounts.
(b) By images flashed by a magic lantern outside the State House.
(c) Announcements are made by loudspeaker.
(d) A crier shouts the results from the roof of the State House.
7. At the end of Scene 2, Act 8, what is Lincoln's response to Mary's actions?
(a) Repulsed by her embrace, he backs away and again changes his mind.
(b) He responds awkwardly, embracing her loosely while staring down at the carpet.
(c) He stands stiffly and dreams of moving to Oregon with Seth Gale.
(d) He is as enthusiastic as she is and dances a little jig.
8. How does Lincoln frequently begin a sentence after his election?
(a) "If I live..."
(b) "As I live and breath..."
(d) "Funnily enough..."
9. What is the fear of those assigned to protect Lincoln on his way to Washington?
(a) Mary Todd Lincoln will smother him with a pillow.
(b) His train will be bombed.
(c) He will run away to Canada.
(d) Angry Southerners will kill him.
10. What song does the band play as Lincoln departs?
(a) "Happy Days Are Here Again."
(b) "John Brown's Body."
(c) "Let It Be."
(d) "Ave Maria."
11. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
(a) Whoopi Goldberg.
(b) Ninian Edwards.
(c) Bowling Green.
(d) Elizabeth Edwards.
12. Who is Lincoln's main rival for the presidency?
(a) Uriah Heep.
(b) Stephen Douglas.
(c) William Herndon.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
13. The influential men visiting Lincoln ask about his views on which two topics?
(a) Slavery and bank regulation.
(b) Taxes and slavery.
(c) Religion and interstate commerce.
(d) Workers rights and religious faith.
14. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
(a) She knows her lack of confidence in his ability made him sad.
(b) She agrees her incessant chatter drove Lincoln crazy.
(c) She acknowledges pushing him too hard to fulfill her ambitions.
(d) She admits her love was based on financial greed.
15. What do the red flags mean in the map of states in Lincoln's campaign headquarters?
(a) Red states are sure bets for Lincoln.
(b) Red states are undecided.
(c) Red states are experiencing a measles epidemic.
(d) Red states are Communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln considering as his first act as president?
2. What is the mood of the crowd surging around Lincoln at the railroad station?
3. Who, in Lincoln's headquarters, is the most anxious about the voting returns?
4. What's the first thing one of the guests in Act 3, Scene 10 does after sitting down in the Lincolns' parlor?
5. What institution does Douglas use to bolster his argument that negroes are not equal under the Constitution?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)