|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
(a) Elizabeth Edwards.
(b) Bowling Green.
(c) Ninian Edwards.
(d) Whoopi Goldberg.
2. What legal case established that slaves should be considered property?
(a) Dred Scott v. Sandford.
(b) The Slaughterhouse Cases.
(c) Marbury v. Madison.
(d) Brown v. Board of Education.
3. What has Lincoln been doing since breaking his engagement to Mary Todd?
(a) Studying to become a missionary preacher.
(b) Just drifting, down around Kentucky and Indiana.
(c) Teaching down in Kentucky and Indiana.
(d) Practicing law and building a fortune.
4. How is Lincoln's appearance different from Election Day?
(a) He has a beard.
(b) He has shaved his head.
(c) He is walking with a cane.
(d) There is a patch over one eye.
5. What plans are afoot in South Carolina in case of a Lincoln victory?
(a) Secession from the Union.
(b) Emancipation of slaves in the state.
(c) A 10,000-man march on Washington.
(d) A Republican victory celebration with fireworks.
6. How old is Lincoln as he leaves Illinois for the White House?
7. How many states are there on Election Day, 1860?
8. What is the mood of the crowd surging around Lincoln at the railroad station?
(a) Happy and admiring.
(b) Disapproving and sullen.
(c) There was no crowd, it was pouring rain.
(d) Hostile and silent.
9. What is the dream from ancient times that Lincoln speaks of in his farewell?
(a) A dream that every home will have a chicken in every pot.
(b) A hope that every child will be born with a silver spoon for safe-keeping.
(c) Mankind's dream of shaking off chains and finding freedom in the brotherhood of life.
(d) The dream of stepping foot on the moon.
10. What is the name of Seth Gale's young son?
11. What's the first thing one of the guests in Act 3, Scene 10 does after sitting down in the Lincolns' parlor?
(a) Congratulates Lincoln on the beauty of the house.
(b) Spills tea on the sofa.
(c) Asks permission to smoke a cigar.
(d) Offers Lincoln a job running his company.
12. How does Lincoln describe Douglas' verbal skills?
(a) He juggles bullets.
(b) He slings arrows like Zeus.
(c) He keeps 10 daggers flashing in the air.
(d) He uses smoke and mirrors.
13. What are Mary's first words to Abe when he arrives after a two-year absence?
(a) "I always knew you would return to me, Abe."
(b) "Mr. Lincoln, you are not my idea of a good man."
(c) "I'm glad to see you again, Mr. Lincoln."
(d) "You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Lincoln."
14. The influential men visiting Lincoln ask about his views on which two topics?
(a) Slavery and bank regulation.
(b) Workers rights and religious faith.
(c) Religion and interstate commerce.
(d) Taxes and slavery.
15. What is it that the visitors to Lincoln's home in Act 3, Scene 10 want to talk about with him?
(a) Shutting down the abolitionist newspaper.
(b) Opening a local branch of Macy's.
(c) Running for President of the United States.
(d) Taking over the Department of Justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Lincoln come to see Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
2. What state delivers the final votes needed for Lincoln's victory?
3. How does Lincoln frequently begin a sentence after his election?
4. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
5. At the end of Scene 2, Act 8, what is Lincoln's response to Mary's actions?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)