|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Lincoln's visitors really looking for in their candidate for President?
(a) A candidate with enough education to appeal to businessmen.
(b) Someone who will do what they tell him, both before and after the election.
(c) A man who will appeal to Southerners leaning toward secession.
(d) Someone honest enough to tell voters the truth, regardless of the consequences.
2. What causes Lincoln to change his mind about his future?
(a) After meeting Seth Gale, Lincoln realizes his destiny is in national service, as Mary always said.
(b) He fails as a farmer and sees he must return to politics.
(c) He understands he's not getting any younger or better looking, so it's time to settle down.
(d) After seeing Seth Gale's son, Lincoln realizes how much he wants children.
3. What promise does Mary Todd extract from Lincoln before agreeing to marry him?
(a) He will never again falter or run away from her.
(b) He will submit to a thorough psychiatric evaluation.
(c) He promises to take her advice in every situation.
(d) He vows to work day and night to become President for her.
4. What song does the band play as Lincoln departs?
(a) "Let It Be."
(b) "Ave Maria."
(c) "John Brown's Body."
(d) "Happy Days Are Here Again."
5. What is the fear of those assigned to protect Lincoln on his way to Washington?
(a) Mary Todd Lincoln will smother him with a pillow.
(b) Angry Southerners will kill him.
(c) His train will be bombed.
(d) He will run away to Canada.
6. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
7. What does Lincoln ask Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) To be his wife.
(b) To leave town so he and Ninian Edwards can resume their friendship.
(c) To contribute to his campaign.
(d) To move west to Oregon with him and Seth Gale.
8. Asked how he'll feel if he loses, how does Lincoln predict he will feel?
(a) As flustered as a toad in hot water.
(b) Crushed beyond belief.
(c) The greatest sense of relief.
(d) Afraid to face Mary.
9. How old is Lincoln as he leaves Illinois for the White House?
10. How does Lincoln frequently begin a sentence after his election?
(a) "Funnily enough..."
(b) "If I live..."
(c) "As I live and breath..."
11. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
(a) "The judge is an elfin man, with a voice to match."
(b) "Muscular and tall, Judge Douglas commands attention with his merest glance."
(c) "He is a titan, with a voice that rolls like thunder."
(d) "He is a brief but magnetic man, confident of his power."
12. What is Lincoln considering as his first act as president?
(a) Annexing Texas.
(b) Freeing the slaves.
(c) Abolishing the Supreme Court.
(d) Growing a beard.
13. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
(a) Their big dreams for their son's future.
(b) The relationship they've developed with Gobey.
(c) The care they have for the nation and the possiblity they will abandon America if slavery spreads.
(d) The success they've achieved with the dry-cleaning business.
14. What is the sentence that Lincoln tells his farewell crowd is true and appropriate for all times and occasions?
(a) "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."
(b) "And this, too, shall pass away."
(c) "This is the day the Lord has made."
(d) "One step for man, a giant step for mankind."
15. What are the issues on Lincoln's mind as he addresses the crowd?
(a) The break-up of the Union because 11 states have promised to secede.
(b) The cost of maintaining the railroads.
(c) His wife's mental health.
(d) A strike by factory workers in New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the crowd outside receiving voting results?
2. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
3. What institution does Douglas use to bolster his argument that negroes are not equal under the Constitution?
4. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
5. What does Lincoln do with his notes before he begins speaking in the debate with Douglas?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)