|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
(a) Elizabeth Edwards.
(b) Whoopi Goldberg.
(c) Ninian Edwards.
(d) Bowling Green.
2. What legal case established that slaves should be considered property?
(a) Dred Scott v. Sandford.
(b) Marbury v. Madison.
(c) The Slaughterhouse Cases.
(d) Brown v. Board of Education.
3. How is Lincoln's appearance different from Election Day?
(a) He has a beard.
(b) There is a patch over one eye.
(c) He is walking with a cane.
(d) He has shaved his head.
4. How old is Lincoln as he leaves Illinois for the White House?
5. What state delivers the final votes needed for Lincoln's victory?
(a) New York.
6. How many candidates are seeking the presidency?
7. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
(a) Their big dreams for their son's future.
(b) The care they have for the nation and the possiblity they will abandon America if slavery spreads.
(c) The success they've achieved with the dry-cleaning business.
(d) The relationship they've developed with Gobey.
8. Who, in Lincoln's headquarters, is the most anxious about the voting returns?
(a) Mary Todd Lincoln.
(b) Josh Speed.
(c) Robert Lincoln.
(d) Ninian Edwards.
9. After 18 years of marriage to Lincoln, what is it that Mary Todd is bitter about?
(a) Lincoln still isn't politically ambitious enough to suit her.
(b) Lincoln chain smokes all over the house.
(c) Lincoln spends too much time reading and not enough attention to her.
(d) Lincoln habitually puts his muddy boots on expensive furnishings.
10. In the debate, Lincoln accuses Douglas of pandering to both sides of the slavery issue. What does he mean?
(a) Refusing to take a stand either for or against slavery.
(b) Breathing heavily whenever the issue becomes heated.
(c) Offering a trip to China to see the giant Pandas if a compromise is reached.
(d) Telling the South he's for slavery and the North that it shouldn't be allowed to spread.
11. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
(a) He believes Gobey is planning to escape on the Underground Railroad.
(b) He's careful to stay in free territory to avoid Gobey being kidnapped and sold into slavery.
(c) He's afraid to take Gobey across state borders because he doesn't have a passport.
(d) He's fearful Gobey's previous owner will appear to reclaim him.
12. What is the dream from ancient times that Lincoln speaks of in his farewell?
(a) Mankind's dream of shaking off chains and finding freedom in the brotherhood of life.
(b) A hope that every child will be born with a silver spoon for safe-keeping.
(c) A dream that every home will have a chicken in every pot.
(d) The dream of stepping foot on the moon.
13. Who is Lincoln's main rival for the presidency?
(a) Uriah Heep.
(b) Stephen Douglas.
(c) William Herndon.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
14. What is the essential element Lincoln's party is seeking in a presidential candidate when they ask him to run?
(a) A willingness to raise taxes.
(b) A strong military policy.
(c) An anti-slavery attitude.
(d) The ability to get elected.
15. How does Lincoln conclude his prayer for the health of Jimmy Gale?
(a) "Give us the strength to bear the death of this young boy."
(b) "Give us all strength, oh God, to do the work that is before us."
(c) "Grant this boy the breath to live long enough to bury his father."
(d) "Grant us the will to fight for the vitality of our nation."
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the issues on Lincoln's mind as he addresses the crowd?
2. What has Lincoln been doing since breaking his engagement to Mary Todd?
3. What song does the band play as Lincoln departs?
4. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
5. What is Mary Todd's reaction to word of Lincoln's arrival at her home In Act 2, Scene 8?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)