|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) She bursts into tears and says she must marry him because he has ruined her reputation.
(b) She appears to hesitate, keeping him wondering for a moment if she will accept.
(c) She clutches him tightly, declares her undying love and begins sobbing.
(d) She dances happily into his arms and pulls his beard while saying yes.
2. How does Lincoln conclude his prayer for the health of Jimmy Gale?
(a) "Grant us the will to fight for the vitality of our nation."
(b) "Grant this boy the breath to live long enough to bury his father."
(c) "Give us all strength, oh God, to do the work that is before us."
(d) "Give us the strength to bear the death of this young boy."
3. How is Lincoln's appearance different from Election Day?
(a) He has a beard.
(b) He has shaved his head.
(c) He is walking with a cane.
(d) There is a patch over one eye.
4. What does Seth Gale's wife want for her sick son, besides the help of a doctor?
(a) A college scholarship so he won't have to live on the prairie.
(b) A minister to drive the evil spirits from his soul.
(c) A minister to say a prayer.
(d) A bathtub full of cool water to calm his fever.
5. Seth Gale tells Abe he's feeling "pretty scared" about his son's health. What does Lincoln tell him?
(a) He urges Gale not to be scared, that he is doing a "big thing" and shouldn't let anything beat him down.
(b) He agrees Gale should be scared and urges him to turn back.
(c) He offers to burn some incense and herbs to smoke out the boy's fever.
(d) He tells Gale that he, too, is scared but he will go West with the Gale family.
6. What does Lincoln ask Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) To contribute to his campaign.
(b) To be his wife.
(c) To move west to Oregon with him and Seth Gale.
(d) To leave town so he and Ninian Edwards can resume their friendship.
7. How many candidates are seeking the presidency?
8. How many states are there on Election Day, 1860?
9. What are the issues on Lincoln's mind as he addresses the crowd?
(a) The cost of maintaining the railroads.
(b) A strike by factory workers in New Jersey.
(c) His wife's mental health.
(d) The break-up of the Union because 11 states have promised to secede.
10. What is the name of Seth Gale's young son?
11. Asked how he'll feel if he loses, how does Lincoln predict he will feel?
(a) The greatest sense of relief.
(b) Crushed beyond belief.
(c) As flustered as a toad in hot water.
(d) Afraid to face Mary.
12. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 10, Lincoln is sitting in his parlor with his sons. How many did he have?
13. What institution does Douglas use to bolster his argument that negroes are not equal under the Constitution?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The National Rifle Association.
(d) The Supreme Court.
14. What is Mary Todd's reaction to word of Lincoln's arrival at her home In Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) She is enraged and slams the door.
(b) She is shocked because she is now married to someone else.
(c) She is surprised; tears pour down her cheeks.
(d) She is startled, but agrees to see him.
15. What has Mary Todd been doing while Lincoln entertains his guests?
(a) Throwing a tantrum.
(b) Making tea.
(c) Listening at the door.
(d) Hemming a dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in Lincoln's headquarters, is the most anxious about the voting returns?
2. What happens when Seth Gale's boy takes a turn for the worse before the doctor arrives at the end of Act 2, Scene 7?
3. What distinction does Lincoln draw between the slaves and downtrodden workers in the North?
4. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
5. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)