|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She grabs his hands, looks deeply into his eyes and whispers the word "yes."
(b) She doesn't--the scene ends with the lights fading before he pops the question.
(c) First she acts surprised, then meekly agrees with a timid "yes."
(d) She laughs and laughs, then says she'll think it over seriously and get back to him.
2. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
(a) Lincoln took a horse from her late husband in payment.
(b) Lincoln defended her husband unsuccessfully and he was hanged.
(c) He believes she is going to inherit a lot of money, so he can wait for payment.
(d) She is a poor widow and Lincoln doesn't take money from widows.
3. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
(a) A fine, silver-headed cane.
(b) A slave.
(c) A stovepipe hat that will become Lincon's signature.
(d) A silver box of fine cigars.
4. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) $3 a day.
(b) $5 a day.
(c) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(d) $2.50 a day.
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
(a) Ann Rutledge and Josh Speed.
(b) Bowling Green and Josh Speed.
(c) Seth Gale and Nancy Green.
(d) Bowling and Nancy Green.
6. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The Elijiah Lovejoy League of Freemen.
(c) The AFL-CIO.
(d) The Democratic Party of Quincy, Ill.
7. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
(a) A gentle breeze ruffles the leaves of autumn trees.
(b) It is storming, windy and rainy.
(c) A blizzard is going on.
(d) The sun is shining brightly.
8. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
9. What characteristics make Mary Todd a good catch in the eyes of most people?
(a) She is exceedingly beautiful and has a shy, retiring demeanor.
(b) She's highly educated and would make a good Secretary of State.
(c) She speaks French, cooks Italian and comes from a line of English royalty.
(d) She's smart, cultivated and the daughter of a bank president.
10. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
(a) Her love makes him believe in God, believe that all things are possible, and he can do anything he wants.
(b) Her love inspires him to write great poetry.
(c) Her love makes him weak at the knees and fuzzy in his thoughts; he knows he can't make anything of himself.
(d) Her love makes him irritable because she is so needy.
11. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(b) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(c) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
(d) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
12. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
(b) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
(c) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
(d) She dies of a brain sickness.
13. Who is Ann Rutledge?
(a) A nun who has taken up the monastic life in Illinois.
(b) Lincoln's aunt.
(c) The postmistress of New Salem.
(d) The woman Abe Lincoln wants to court.
14. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Labor Day.
(b) Memorial Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
15. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
(a) Consider becoming a minister.
(b) Get a law degree.
(c) Move out of town.
(d) Find a woman to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
2. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
3. How does Lincoln define his "own great duty?"
4. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
5. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)