|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She spills a pot of hot tea on Lincoln's lap.
(b) She begs Mary to put the children to bed.
(c) She produces a fan and uses it to flirt with Lincoln, to show he wouldn't be a faithful husband.
(d) She begins yelling at her sister, causing Ninian to slap her and drag her from the room.
2. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) She dies of a brain sickness.
(b) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
(c) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
(d) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
3. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
(b) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(c) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(d) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
4. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) The wind howls in agony along with him.
(b) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
(c) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
(d) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
5. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He leaves town without informing Mary Todd.
(b) He decides he must go through with the wedding.
(c) He leaves to break off his engagement in person.
(d) He writes another letter, telling Mary Todd he hates her.
6. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
(a) Consider becoming a minister.
(b) Move out of town.
(c) Find a woman to marry.
(d) Get a law degree.
7. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
(a) Jack Armstrong.
(b) Seth Gale.
(c) Ann Rutledge.
(d) Josh Speed.
8. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
(a) Bowling and Nancy Green.
(b) Bowling Green and Josh Speed.
(c) Ann Rutledge and Josh Speed.
(d) Seth Gale and Nancy Green.
9. How old is Abe Lincoln at the time of Act 2, Scene 4 in his Springfield law office?
10. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
(b) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
(c) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
(d) Ann Rutledge is sick.
11. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Abe Lincoln.
(b) Ann Rutledge.
(c) Seth Gale
(d) Ben Mattling.
12. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Federalist Papers.
(b) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
(c) The Bourne Chronicles.
(d) The New York Review of Books.
13. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Harrison Ford.
(b) Martin Van Buren.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Winston Churchill.
14. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
(a) No, he believes he has good reasons for his decision.
(b) He isn't sure, but he admits having hallucinations.
(c) Yes, he says he's at the end of his rope and must have release from the wedding.
(d) Yes, he knows he is losing his mind--that's why he wants to run away.
15. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
(a) He dislikes people because of their inhumanity.
(b) He likes them one-to-one, but crowds scare him.
(c) He loves being in a crowd, but feels anxious one-to-one.
(d) He is afraid of them, unless he has known them all his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
2. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
4. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
5. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)