|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
(a) He takes his wife dancing.
(b) He doesn't give an excuse, just grabs his wife's arm and hustles her off stage.
(c) The two have to hear their children's bedtime prayers.
(d) He feigns an injury and asks his wife to help him upstairs.
2. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
(a) He believes everything will work out fine, once Lincoln has a drink or two.
(b) He thinks Lincoln is being too brutal, at least in the way he intends to deliver the news.
(c) He agrees that Lincoln is making the right decision, for the right reasons.
(d) He's distressed and offers to deliver the news himself.
3. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(b) $5 a day.
(c) $2.50 a day.
(d) $3 a day.
4. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
(a) President of the Springfield School Board.
(b) Member of the Electoral College.
(c) President of the United States.
(d) Springfield's combined office of dogcatcher and postmaster.
5. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A tavern in Springfield.
(b) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(c) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
(d) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
6. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
(a) A silver box of fine cigars.
(b) A fine, silver-headed cane.
(c) A stovepipe hat that will become Lincon's signature.
(d) A slave.
7. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
(a) Bowling and Nancy Green.
(b) Seth Gale and Nancy Green.
(c) Ann Rutledge and Josh Speed.
(d) Bowling Green and Josh Speed.
8. How old is Abe Lincoln at the time of Act 2, Scene 4 in his Springfield law office?
9. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
(a) He's all for the marriage; he thinks Ann will keep Lincoln on track.
(b) Judge Green is against it; he thinks Ann will be a hindrance to Lincoln.
(c) He's for the marriage; Ann's family has a lot of money to spend on campaigns.
(d) He is against the marriage; he knows Ann has been seeing someone else.
10. Why is Mary Todd so sure that Lincoln will be a success, and not stop to tell jokes, as her sister predicts?
(a) Because she is strong enough to make sure he moves along the road of success without stopping.
(b) She doesn't care if he's a success; she has a huge inheritance that will support them both.
(c) Because she knows that Lincoln is not very good at telling jokes and has a strong streak of ambition.
(d) Because Lincoln has confided his dream of becoming a successful merchant and moving to New York.
11. What does Mary Todd's sister predict if she marries Lincoln?
(a) A life in a miserable cabin, without servants and without decent clothing.
(b) A glittering life in the nation's capital, dancing with elegant Europeans.
(c) A wanderer's life, as Lincoln can't seem to hold a decent job.
(d) A life in a quaint cabin, stitching buckskin clothing and raising a passel of children.
12. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
(a) The sun is shining brightly.
(b) A blizzard is going on.
(c) It is storming, windy and rainy.
(d) A gentle breeze ruffles the leaves of autumn trees.
13. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
(a) He thinks it's a comical notion and not a good idea.
(b) He is angry because he thinks the idea is a bad joke.
(c) He weeps because his friends think so highly of him.
(d) He's excited and jumps at the chance.
14. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Ann Rutledge.
(b) Seth Gale
(c) Abe Lincoln.
(d) Ben Mattling.
15. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They are afraid to face death alone.
(b) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(c) They think of death as an awakening.
(d) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
2. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
3. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
4. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What advice does Josh Speed give Lincoln regarding his mental health?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)