|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lincoln jokingly describe, in Act 2, Scene 5, the act of defending a murder suspect?
(a) "Whipping such a blizzard of words as to keep justice slipping and sliding."
(b) "Tossing enough hot potatos to keep a judge from telling which one is rotten."
(c) "Doing what I can to obstruct the orderly processes of justice."
(d) "Spinning doubt as thick as a black widow's web."
2. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
(a) He isn't sure, but he admits having hallucinations.
(b) No, he believes he has good reasons for his decision.
(c) Yes, he knows he is losing his mind--that's why he wants to run away.
(d) Yes, he says he's at the end of his rope and must have release from the wedding.
3. Who is Elizabeth Edwards?
(a) Mary Todd's sister and Ninian Edwards' wife.
(b) The wife of a one-time presidential candidate.
(c) The author of two memoirs.
(d) The woman Abe Lincoln loves and wants to marry.
4. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
(b) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
(c) The wind howls in agony along with him.
(d) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
(a) Ann Rutledge and Josh Speed.
(b) Seth Gale and Nancy Green.
(c) Bowling and Nancy Green.
(d) Bowling Green and Josh Speed.
6. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
(b) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
(c) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
(d) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
7. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Take Lincoln out to dinner and get him drunk.
(b) Introduce Lincoln to a good woman to marry.
(c) Drag him out of the stagnant pool in which he is drowning himself.
(d) Dunk Lincoln in the river to wash away his stubborn streak.
8. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) School teaching and store keeping.
(b) Politics and prospecting.
(c) School teaching and politics.
(d) Journalism and law.
9. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
(a) In an email.
(b) In person.
(c) In a letter.
(d) In a telegram.
10. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(b) The plays of Shakespeare.
(c) Punctuation marks.
(d) The moods of the English language.
11. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
(a) He agrees that Lincoln is making the right decision, for the right reasons.
(b) He believes everything will work out fine, once Lincoln has a drink or two.
(c) He's distressed and offers to deliver the news himself.
(d) He thinks Lincoln is being too brutal, at least in the way he intends to deliver the news.
12. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(b) Son of the Illinois governor.
(c) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
(d) A merchant passing through New Salem.
13. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lincoln gets everyone's attention by firing his pistol at the ceiling.
(b) Lincoln diffuses the tension with the Clancy Groves boys.
(c) Lincoln announces there is free pie in the town square.
(d) Lincoln punches a bully who is threatening Ann Rutledge.
14. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(b) In Rutledge's Tavern.
(c) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(d) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
15. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
(a) The death of Lincoln's friend, Bowling Green.
(b) Jack Armstrong is in jail for murder.
(c) Seth Gale's mother is dead of malaria.
(d) Lincoln's dog, Rufus, has been killed in a hunting mishap.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 5, does Lincoln ask Mary Todd to marry him?
2. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
3. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
4. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
5. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)