|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) School teaching and store keeping.
(b) Journalism and law.
(c) School teaching and politics.
(d) Politics and prospecting.
2. Who is Elizabeth Edwards?
(a) The author of two memoirs.
(b) The wife of a one-time presidential candidate.
(c) Mary Todd's sister and Ninian Edwards' wife.
(d) The woman Abe Lincoln loves and wants to marry.
3. In Scene 2, Act 4, Lincoln receives a letter from his old friend, Seth Gale. What is Gale worrying about?
(a) The possible annexation of Texas, which would result in the extension of slavery through all the territories.
(b) The prospect of his father's death and the debts he will inherit.
(c) Gale's property taxes are going sky-high to pay for liberation of the slaves.
(d) His wife's increasingly bizarre behavior.
4. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
(a) A silver box of fine cigars.
(b) A fine, silver-headed cane.
(c) A slave.
(d) A stovepipe hat that will become Lincon's signature.
5. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) The plays of Shakespeare.
(b) Punctuation marks.
(c) The moods of the English language.
(d) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
6. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
(a) He is a womanizer.
(b) He drinks too much and too often.
(c) He cheats at cards.
(d) He kills compulsively.
7. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
(b) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(c) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(d) In Rutledge's Tavern.
8. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
(a) He believes everything will work out fine, once Lincoln has a drink or two.
(b) He agrees that Lincoln is making the right decision, for the right reasons.
(c) He's distressed and offers to deliver the news himself.
(d) He thinks Lincoln is being too brutal, at least in the way he intends to deliver the news.
9. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(b) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
(c) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
(d) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
10. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He leaves town without informing Mary Todd.
(b) He writes another letter, telling Mary Todd he hates her.
(c) He leaves to break off his engagement in person.
(d) He decides he must go through with the wedding.
11. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
(a) He is pro-slavery.
(b) He is feuding with the president of the organization that wants him to speak.
(c) The sponsoring organization is "a pack of hell-raising fanatics."
(d) He has a date on the night of the rally.
12. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
(a) Because he hears the whispers of the dead women in his life, including his mother, and he can't understand what the whispers mean.
(b) Because he hears voices in the night and they give him contradictory directions.
(c) Because he goes into trances when under stress and needs someone to help him snap out of it.
(d) Because he listens to strange voices that speak to him in church and they command him to do bad things.
13. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
(a) Ann wrote his speeches; without her, he has nothing to say.
(b) He doesn't feel he will be taken seriously as a candidate if he is single.
(c) He depended on Ann's connections to the politically powerful in Washington.
(d) He fears any woman who loves him is doomed to an early death, like his mother.
14. What does Mary Todd say when asked in Act. 2, Scene 5, if she is considering marriage to Lincoln?
(a) "I am determined to marry Stephen Douglas."
(b) "I have decided I shall be Mrs. Lincoln."
(c) "I have never given that idea a moment's thought."
(d) "That is the most repulsive idea I've ever heard."
15. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
(a) He gives the letter to Herndon.
(b) He rips the letter into tiny pieces and throws them on the floor.
(c) He throws the letter into the fire in the stove.
(d) He runs out the door with the letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
2. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
3. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
4. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)