|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Federalist Papers.
(b) The Bourne Chronicles.
(c) The New York Review of Books.
(d) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
2. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(b) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(c) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
(d) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
3. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
(a) Her love makes him believe in God, believe that all things are possible, and he can do anything he wants.
(b) Her love makes him weak at the knees and fuzzy in his thoughts; he knows he can't make anything of himself.
(c) Her love inspires him to write great poetry.
(d) Her love makes him irritable because she is so needy.
4. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Drag him out of the stagnant pool in which he is drowning himself.
(b) Dunk Lincoln in the river to wash away his stubborn streak.
(c) Introduce Lincoln to a good woman to marry.
(d) Take Lincoln out to dinner and get him drunk.
5. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
(b) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
(c) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
(d) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
6. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
(a) Springfield's combined office of dogcatcher and postmaster.
(b) Member of the Electoral College.
(c) President of the Springfield School Board.
(d) President of the United States.
7. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He asks them to keep Lincoln with them and not let him out of their sight.
(b) He requests they accompany Lincoln to Springfield for opening of the Legislature.
(c) He asks them to call a physician to treat Lincoln's stress.
(d) He wants them to take copious notes about Lincoln's mood.
8. What characteristics make Mary Todd a good catch in the eyes of most people?
(a) She speaks French, cooks Italian and comes from a line of English royalty.
(b) She's smart, cultivated and the daughter of a bank president.
(c) She is exceedingly beautiful and has a shy, retiring demeanor.
(d) She's highly educated and would make a good Secretary of State.
9. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By bursting into song when she agrees to talk with him.
(b) By asking her to dance on the bar.
(c) By delivering a package from her fiance.
(d) By declaring his love for her.
10. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) Civil war might break out.
(b) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
(c) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
(d) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
11. In Act 2, Scene 5, Lincoln mentions a woman "foxing" his pants--what does that mean?
(a) The woman was flirting with him outrageously.
(b) Something so scandalous that Mary Todd showed Lincoln the door before he could explain.
(c) Attaching foxskins down the legs as a means of camoflauge.
(d) Sewing buckskin around the lower legs to keep them from being shredded by underbrush.
12. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
(a) The Elijiah Lovejoy League of Freemen.
(b) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(c) The AFL-CIO.
(d) The Democratic Party of Quincy, Ill.
13. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) $3 a day.
(b) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(c) $5 a day.
(d) $2.50 a day.
14. In Act 2, Scene 5, does Lincoln ask Mary Todd to marry him?
(a) No, but she expects he will ask that evening.
(b) Yes, but Elizabeth's objections put the matter on hold.
(c) No, but she plans to pop the question that evening.
(d) Yes, but she says she can't quite decide.
15. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) Labor Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
2. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
3. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
4. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
5. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)