|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elizabeth Edwards?
(a) The author of two memoirs.
(b) The woman Abe Lincoln loves and wants to marry.
(c) The wife of a one-time presidential candidate.
(d) Mary Todd's sister and Ninian Edwards' wife.
2. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of civil war.
(b) The prospect of death.
(c) The prospect of a harsh winter.
(d) The prospect of marriage.
3. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
(a) The opportunity to learn from the finest lawyers in the state.
(b) Women will seek him out for marriage.
(c) The chance to have suits made that will have sleeves that are long enough for his arms.
(d) He will be able to collect extra money by doing favors for friends.
4. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) The wind howls in agony along with him.
(b) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
(c) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
(d) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
5. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
(a) He believes she really wants to marry Stephen Douglas.
(b) He hates her ambitions for him and doesn't want to be driven to achieve her goals for the rest of his life.
(c) He knows he is losing his mind and wants to spare her from sharing his pain.
(d) She has taken to wearing spurs and brandishing a whip when they are alone.
6. What does Mary Todd say when asked in Act. 2, Scene 5, if she is considering marriage to Lincoln?
(a) "I am determined to marry Stephen Douglas."
(b) "I have decided I shall be Mrs. Lincoln."
(c) "I have never given that idea a moment's thought."
(d) "That is the most repulsive idea I've ever heard."
7. In Act 2, Scene 5, does Lincoln ask Mary Todd to marry him?
(a) No, but she plans to pop the question that evening.
(b) Yes, but Elizabeth's objections put the matter on hold.
(c) No, but she expects he will ask that evening.
(d) Yes, but she says she can't quite decide.
8. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To recruit Lincoln to run for the State Assembly.
(b) To bring law and order to New Salem.
(c) To look at the Rutledge Tavern as an investment.
(d) To announce his own run for the presidency.
9. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) The moods of the English language.
(b) The plays of Shakespeare.
(c) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(d) Punctuation marks.
10. How does Lincoln define his "own great duty?"
(a) He doesn't know what it is and he's tired of people nagging him about it.
(b) His duty is to mind his own business and he doesn't care what other people think.
(c) His duty is to defend the Constitution to the best of his understanding.
(d) He needs to go West and seize California from the Mexican government.
11. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
(a) Member of the Electoral College.
(b) Springfield's combined office of dogcatcher and postmaster.
(c) President of the United States.
(d) President of the Springfield School Board.
12. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Son of the Illinois governor.
(b) A merchant passing through New Salem.
(c) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(d) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
13. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He tells Lincoln that Mary Todd should be committed to a hospital.
(b) He says Lincoln should keep a tight rein on her ambitions and delusions of grandeur.
(c) He says Lincoln should always follow her advice because she has a good head for politics.
(d) He suggests giving in to her every whim in order to keep life happy.
14. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She spills a pot of hot tea on Lincoln's lap.
(b) She begs Mary to put the children to bed.
(c) She produces a fan and uses it to flirt with Lincoln, to show he wouldn't be a faithful husband.
(d) She begins yelling at her sister, causing Ninian to slap her and drag her from the room.
15. Who is with Lincoln at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Bowling Green.
(b) Josh Speed.
(c) Ann Rutledge.
(d) Seth Gale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
2. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
4. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
5. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)