|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
(a) He finds it strange: "I don't get the meaning of it, at all."
(b) It depresses him: "Life is sure 'nuff short, why think about death?"
(c) He is inspired to write his own poetry: "I've got a thought, Teacher, give me a pencil."
(d) He likes it: "It sure is good...it's fine!
2. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(b) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(c) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
(d) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
3. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) John Glenn.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
4. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Dunk Lincoln in the river to wash away his stubborn streak.
(b) Introduce Lincoln to a good woman to marry.
(c) Drag him out of the stagnant pool in which he is drowning himself.
(d) Take Lincoln out to dinner and get him drunk.
5. Who does Ninian Edwards believe might be instigating the prospect of marriage between Abe Lincoln and Mary Todd?
(a) Judge Bowling Green.
(b) Elizabeth Edwards' father.
(c) Mary Todd.
(d) Abe Lincoln.
6. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He decides he must go through with the wedding.
(b) He leaves to break off his engagement in person.
(c) He writes another letter, telling Mary Todd he hates her.
(d) He leaves town without informing Mary Todd.
7. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She produces a fan and uses it to flirt with Lincoln, to show he wouldn't be a faithful husband.
(b) She begs Mary to put the children to bed.
(c) She begins yelling at her sister, causing Ninian to slap her and drag her from the room.
(d) She spills a pot of hot tea on Lincoln's lap.
8. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
(a) That she will become President of the United States.
(b) That she will be able to nominate Supreme Court justices.
(c) That she will marry the President of the United States.
(d) That she will live a simple life, raising children.
9. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(b) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(c) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(d) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
10. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) Punctuation marks.
(b) The moods of the English language.
(c) The plays of Shakespeare.
(d) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
11. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(b) A tavern in Springfield.
(c) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
(d) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
12. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
(a) He's excited and jumps at the chance.
(b) He thinks it's a comical notion and not a good idea.
(c) He is angry because he thinks the idea is a bad joke.
(d) He weeps because his friends think so highly of him.
13. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(b) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
(d) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
14. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) First she acts surprised, then meekly agrees with a timid "yes."
(b) She grabs his hands, looks deeply into his eyes and whispers the word "yes."
(c) She doesn't--the scene ends with the lights fading before he pops the question.
(d) She laughs and laughs, then says she'll think it over seriously and get back to him.
15. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) She dies of a brain sickness.
(b) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
(c) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
(d) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
3. Who is Ninian Edwards?
4. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
5. What does Mary Todd tell her brother-in-law when he asks why she has chosen him as a husband?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)