Short Answer Key
Act 1, Scene 1
1. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
2. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
3. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
The moods of the English language.
4. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
Indicative, Imperative, Potential, Subjunctive and Infinitive.
5. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
6. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
7. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker objects.
8. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
This section contains 3,874 words|
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)