|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
(a) He gives the letter to Herndon.
(b) He rips the letter into tiny pieces and throws them on the floor.
(c) He runs out the door with the letter.
(d) He throws the letter into the fire in the stove.
2. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Seth Gale
(b) Ben Mattling.
(c) Abe Lincoln.
(d) Ann Rutledge.
3. What does Jack Armstrong tell Seth Gale about Lincoln while they wait for Lincoln's arrival in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Lincoln "is his same comical old self."
(b) Lincoln "ain't the same since he married Mary Todd."
(c) Lincoln has "come up in town and thinks too much of himself."
(d) Lincoln has "slipped down and ain't much like his comical self."
4. Why is Mary Todd so sure that Lincoln will be a success, and not stop to tell jokes, as her sister predicts?
(a) Because Lincoln has confided his dream of becoming a successful merchant and moving to New York.
(b) Because she is strong enough to make sure he moves along the road of success without stopping.
(c) Because she knows that Lincoln is not very good at telling jokes and has a strong streak of ambition.
(d) She doesn't care if he's a success; she has a huge inheritance that will support them both.
5. Who is with Lincoln at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Ann Rutledge.
(b) Josh Speed.
(c) Seth Gale.
(d) Bowling Green.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. What does Mary Todd say when asked in Act. 2, Scene 5, if she is considering marriage to Lincoln?
3. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
4. The influential men visiting Lincoln ask about his views on which two topics?
5. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)