|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ann Rutledge?
(a) The woman Abe Lincoln wants to court.
(b) The postmistress of New Salem.
(c) A nun who has taken up the monastic life in Illinois.
(d) Lincoln's aunt.
2. In Act 2, Scene 5, Lincoln mentions a woman "foxing" his pants--what does that mean?
(a) Sewing buckskin around the lower legs to keep them from being shredded by underbrush.
(b) Attaching foxskins down the legs as a means of camoflauge.
(c) Something so scandalous that Mary Todd showed Lincoln the door before he could explain.
(d) The woman was flirting with him outrageously.
3. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He tells Lincoln that Mary Todd should be committed to a hospital.
(b) He says Lincoln should always follow her advice because she has a good head for politics.
(c) He suggests giving in to her every whim in order to keep life happy.
(d) He says Lincoln should keep a tight rein on her ambitions and delusions of grandeur.
4. What is the name of Seth Gale's young son?
5. At the end of Scene 2, Act 8, what is Lincoln's response to Mary's actions?
(a) He is as enthusiastic as she is and dances a little jig.
(b) He stands stiffly and dreams of moving to Oregon with Seth Gale.
(c) He responds awkwardly, embracing her loosely while staring down at the carpet.
(d) Repulsed by her embrace, he backs away and again changes his mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
2. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
3. Who does Ninian Edwards believe might be instigating the prospect of marriage between Abe Lincoln and Mary Todd?
4. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
5. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)