|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the debate, Lincoln accuses Douglas of pandering to both sides of the slavery issue. What does he mean?
(a) Offering a trip to China to see the giant Pandas if a compromise is reached.
(b) Breathing heavily whenever the issue becomes heated.
(c) Telling the South he's for slavery and the North that it shouldn't be allowed to spread.
(d) Refusing to take a stand either for or against slavery.
2. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
(a) He is angry because he thinks the idea is a bad joke.
(b) He thinks it's a comical notion and not a good idea.
(c) He's excited and jumps at the chance.
(d) He weeps because his friends think so highly of him.
3. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
(a) To move to California, in search of gold.
(b) To attend law school and go into practice together.
(c) To move west, to Nebraska.
(d) To relocate to Springfield and open a general store.
4. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
(b) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
(c) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
(d) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
5. What university does Lincoln's oldest son attend?
(c) University of Illinois.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Why does Bowling Green call Lincoln "an artful dodger" in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
4. Where has Lincoln been, just before he arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)