|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lincoln blame for all the political strife in the country?
(a) The Abolitionists.
(b) The British.
(c) The Whigs.
(d) The U.S. Army.
2. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
(a) He believes she really wants to marry Stephen Douglas.
(b) He knows he is losing his mind and wants to spare her from sharing his pain.
(c) She has taken to wearing spurs and brandishing a whip when they are alone.
(d) He hates her ambitions for him and doesn't want to be driven to achieve her goals for the rest of his life.
3. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
(a) To relocate to Springfield and open a general store.
(b) To move west, to Nebraska.
(c) To attend law school and go into practice together.
(d) To move to California, in search of gold.
4. What causes Lincoln to change his mind about his future?
(a) He fails as a farmer and sees he must return to politics.
(b) After meeting Seth Gale, Lincoln realizes his destiny is in national service, as Mary always said.
(c) He understands he's not getting any younger or better looking, so it's time to settle down.
(d) After seeing Seth Gale's son, Lincoln realizes how much he wants children.
5. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
(a) Yes, he says he's at the end of his rope and must have release from the wedding.
(b) No, he believes he has good reasons for his decision.
(c) He isn't sure, but he admits having hallucinations.
(d) Yes, he knows he is losing his mind--that's why he wants to run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary Todd describe Lincoln's behavior and absence over the previous two years?
2. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
3. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
4. Who does Ninian Edwards believe might be instigating the prospect of marriage between Abe Lincoln and Mary Todd?
5. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)