|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
(a) Bowling Green and Josh Speed.
(b) Seth Gale and Nancy Green.
(c) Ann Rutledge and Josh Speed.
(d) Bowling and Nancy Green.
2. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
(a) The Elijiah Lovejoy League of Freemen.
(b) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(c) The AFL-CIO.
(d) The Democratic Party of Quincy, Ill.
3. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
(a) He is feuding with the president of the organization that wants him to speak.
(b) He has a date on the night of the rally.
(c) He is pro-slavery.
(d) The sponsoring organization is "a pack of hell-raising fanatics."
4. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
(a) That he will fail at the job of postmaster.
(b) That his partner will buy the store where Abe works and fire him.
(c) That if he ever gets out of debt, he'll get right back in again.
(d) That he'll never have a chance to run for public office.
5. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
(b) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(c) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(d) In Rutledge's Tavern.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
2. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
3. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
4. Seth Gale tells Abe he's feeling "pretty scared" about his son's health. What does Lincoln tell him?
5. What causes Lincoln to change his mind about his future?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)