|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lincoln arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5, does he sense tension between Mary Todd and her sister?
(a) He is so intent on asking for Mary's hand in marriage, he doesn't even notice her sister is in the room.
(b) Yes, he feels there is electricity in the air, but tries to make casual conversation.
(c) Yes, he's aware of tension but assumes it's due to the bad marriage of Ninian and Mary's sister.
(d) He's oblivious to the tension, even though the two women are red-faced and teary-eyed.
2. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Journalism and law.
(b) Politics and prospecting.
(c) School teaching and store keeping.
(d) School teaching and politics.
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
(b) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(c) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
(d) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
4. What characteristics make Mary Todd a good catch in the eyes of most people?
(a) She is exceedingly beautiful and has a shy, retiring demeanor.
(b) She's highly educated and would make a good Secretary of State.
(c) She speaks French, cooks Italian and comes from a line of English royalty.
(d) She's smart, cultivated and the daughter of a bank president.
5. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
(a) To move west, to Nebraska.
(b) To relocate to Springfield and open a general store.
(c) To move to California, in search of gold.
(d) To attend law school and go into practice together.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
2. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
3. How old is Abe Lincoln at the time of Act 2, Scene 4 in his Springfield law office?
4. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
5. What is the essential element Lincoln's party is seeking in a presidential candidate when they ask him to run?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)