|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
2. Why does Mary agree to the public humiliation of taking Lincoln back after two years?
(a) Lincoln promises to make a public declaration of his undying love on the courthouse steps.
(b) She will control Lincoln by using his shame about their broken engagement.
(c) The humiliation will be wiped out by "ultimate triumph."
(d) She never worries about what others think of her.
3. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of marriage.
(b) The prospect of civil war.
(c) The prospect of death.
(d) The prospect of a harsh winter.
4. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
(b) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(d) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
5. What promise does Mary Todd extract from Lincoln before agreeing to marry him?
(a) He will submit to a thorough psychiatric evaluation.
(b) He will never again falter or run away from her.
(c) He vows to work day and night to become President for her.
(d) He promises to take her advice in every situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
2. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
3. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
5. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)