|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) The wind howls in agony along with him.
(b) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
(c) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
(d) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
2. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
(b) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
(c) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
(d) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
3. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The Elijiah Lovejoy League of Freemen.
(c) The AFL-CIO.
(d) The Democratic Party of Quincy, Ill.
4. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
(a) She says they live fearful lives, surrounded by fences designed to keep the world at arm's length.
(b) She recognizes their lives are adventurous, with no boundaries.
(c) She says they live in a house with fences, not to keep others out, but to keep themselves from escaping their own narrow lives.
(d) She calls them reckless and irresponsible because they have invested in too many rental properties.
5. What is the name of Seth Gale's young son?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary Todd's reaction to word of Lincoln's arrival at her home In Act 2, Scene 8?
2. When Lincoln arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5, does he sense tension between Mary Todd and her sister?
3. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
4. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
5. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)