|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
(b) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(c) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(d) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
2. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of civil war.
(b) The prospect of marriage.
(c) The prospect of death.
(d) The prospect of a harsh winter.
3. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
(a) The two have to hear their children's bedtime prayers.
(b) He feigns an injury and asks his wife to help him upstairs.
(c) He takes his wife dancing.
(d) He doesn't give an excuse, just grabs his wife's arm and hustles her off stage.
4. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
(a) He is feuding with the president of the organization that wants him to speak.
(b) He is pro-slavery.
(c) He has a date on the night of the rally.
(d) The sponsoring organization is "a pack of hell-raising fanatics."
5. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(b) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(c) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(d) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mary's first words to Abe when he arrives after a two-year absence?
2. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
3. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
4. Why does Mary agree to the public humiliation of taking Lincoln back after two years?
5. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)