|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A tavern in Springfield.
(b) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(c) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(d) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
2. In Act 2, Scene 5, Lincoln mentions a woman "foxing" his pants--what does that mean?
(a) The woman was flirting with him outrageously.
(b) Something so scandalous that Mary Todd showed Lincoln the door before he could explain.
(c) Attaching foxskins down the legs as a means of camoflauge.
(d) Sewing buckskin around the lower legs to keep them from being shredded by underbrush.
3. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Ann Rutledge is sick.
(b) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
(c) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
(d) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
4. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She begins yelling at her sister, causing Ninian to slap her and drag her from the room.
(b) She produces a fan and uses it to flirt with Lincoln, to show he wouldn't be a faithful husband.
(c) She begs Mary to put the children to bed.
(d) She spills a pot of hot tea on Lincoln's lap.
5. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
(b) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
(c) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(d) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seth Gale suggest might happen if slavery spreads West to new states and territories?
2. Why does Bowling Green call Lincoln "an artful dodger" in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
4. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
5. Why does Mary agree to the public humiliation of taking Lincoln back after two years?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)