|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
(a) That she will become President of the United States.
(b) That she will marry the President of the United States.
(c) That she will be able to nominate Supreme Court justices.
(d) That she will live a simple life, raising children.
2. When Lincoln arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5, does he sense tension between Mary Todd and her sister?
(a) Yes, he's aware of tension but assumes it's due to the bad marriage of Ninian and Mary's sister.
(b) He's oblivious to the tension, even though the two women are red-faced and teary-eyed.
(c) He is so intent on asking for Mary's hand in marriage, he doesn't even notice her sister is in the room.
(d) Yes, he feels there is electricity in the air, but tries to make casual conversation.
3. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
4. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
(a) The chance to have suits made that will have sleeves that are long enough for his arms.
(b) The opportunity to learn from the finest lawyers in the state.
(c) Women will seek him out for marriage.
(d) He will be able to collect extra money by doing favors for friends.
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
(a) Ann Rutledge and Josh Speed.
(b) Bowling Green and Josh Speed.
(c) Seth Gale and Nancy Green.
(d) Bowling and Nancy Green.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
2. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
3. What advice does Josh Speed give Lincoln regarding his mental health?
4. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)