|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lincoln arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5, does he sense tension between Mary Todd and her sister?
(a) He is so intent on asking for Mary's hand in marriage, he doesn't even notice her sister is in the room.
(b) Yes, he feels there is electricity in the air, but tries to make casual conversation.
(c) Yes, he's aware of tension but assumes it's due to the bad marriage of Ninian and Mary's sister.
(d) He's oblivious to the tension, even though the two women are red-faced and teary-eyed.
2. Seth Gale tells Abe he's feeling "pretty scared" about his son's health. What does Lincoln tell him?
(a) He offers to burn some incense and herbs to smoke out the boy's fever.
(b) He agrees Gale should be scared and urges him to turn back.
(c) He urges Gale not to be scared, that he is doing a "big thing" and shouldn't let anything beat him down.
(d) He tells Gale that he, too, is scared but he will go West with the Gale family.
3. What causes Lincoln to change his mind about his future?
(a) After meeting Seth Gale, Lincoln realizes his destiny is in national service, as Mary always said.
(b) He fails as a farmer and sees he must return to politics.
(c) After seeing Seth Gale's son, Lincoln realizes how much he wants children.
(d) He understands he's not getting any younger or better looking, so it's time to settle down.
4. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She doesn't--the scene ends with the lights fading before he pops the question.
(b) First she acts surprised, then meekly agrees with a timid "yes."
(c) She grabs his hands, looks deeply into his eyes and whispers the word "yes."
(d) She laughs and laughs, then says she'll think it over seriously and get back to him.
5. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
(a) The Clancy Groves boys are buying a round of whiskey for everyone.
(b) A local bully is angling for a fight with Ninian Edwards.
(c) The Clancy Groves boys have the judge trapped behind the bar.
(d) Ben Mattling is having a heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Seth Gale intend to settle his family?
2. Why does Mary agree to the public humiliation of taking Lincoln back after two years?
3. Why does Bowling Green call Lincoln "an artful dodger" in Act 2, Scene 4?
4. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
5. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)