|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seth Gale's wife want for her sick son, besides the help of a doctor?
(a) A minister to drive the evil spirits from his soul.
(b) A college scholarship so he won't have to live on the prairie.
(c) A bathtub full of cool water to calm his fever.
(d) A minister to say a prayer.
2. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
(a) In a telegram.
(b) In a letter.
(c) In an email.
(d) In person.
3. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
(b) He becomes an atheist.
(c) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
(d) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
4. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(b) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
(c) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(d) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
5. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
(a) President of the United States.
(b) President of the Springfield School Board.
(c) Springfield's combined office of dogcatcher and postmaster.
(d) Member of the Electoral College.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
2. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
3. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
4. How old is Abe Lincoln at the time of Act 2, Scene 4 in his Springfield law office?
5. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)