|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Seth Gale's boy takes a turn for the worse before the doctor arrives at the end of Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Lincoln breaks down in tears at the injustice.
(b) Lincoln says a prayer for the boy's recovery.
(c) The boy's mother gives him mouth to mouth resuscitation.
(d) Jack Armstrong applies a mustard paste to the boy's chest.
2. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
(a) He runs out the door with the letter.
(b) He gives the letter to Herndon.
(c) He rips the letter into tiny pieces and throws them on the floor.
(d) He throws the letter into the fire in the stove.
3. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
(a) Ann wrote his speeches; without her, he has nothing to say.
(b) He depended on Ann's connections to the politically powerful in Washington.
(c) He fears any woman who loves him is doomed to an early death, like his mother.
(d) He doesn't feel he will be taken seriously as a candidate if he is single.
4. Lincoln says he has come to believe something about himself and Mary. What is it?
(a) They are like peanut butter and jelly--good alone, but better together.
(b) Their destinies are together, for better or worse.
(c) They will never be happy together, no matter how they try.
(d) Their destinies will take them to Europe to live.
5. Why is Mary Todd so sure that Lincoln will be a success, and not stop to tell jokes, as her sister predicts?
(a) Because she knows that Lincoln is not very good at telling jokes and has a strong streak of ambition.
(b) Because she is strong enough to make sure he moves along the road of success without stopping.
(c) Because Lincoln has confided his dream of becoming a successful merchant and moving to New York.
(d) She doesn't care if he's a success; she has a huge inheritance that will support them both.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
3. Seth Gale tells Abe he's feeling "pretty scared" about his son's health. What does Lincoln tell him?
4. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
5. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)