|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
(a) He's drunk, as usual.
(b) He's suffering from an early case of swine flu.
(c) He's debilitated by swamp fever.
(d) He has quit drinking and is sober.
2. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A tavern in Springfield.
(b) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(c) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(d) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
3. How old is Abe Lincoln at the time of Act 2, Scene 4 in his Springfield law office?
4. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
(a) He loves being in a crowd, but feels anxious one-to-one.
(b) He dislikes people because of their inhumanity.
(c) He likes them one-to-one, but crowds scare him.
(d) He is afraid of them, unless he has known them all his life.
5. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
(a) He is stunned and speechless. He finishes off the bottle in his pocket.
(b) Herndon agrees that Mary Todd is a witch and says he's glad Lincoln changed his mind.
(c) Herndon says Lincoln is really trying to escape his own failure to serve the country.
(d) He is gobsmacked, but he helps Lincoln write another letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mary Todd so sure that Lincoln will be a success, and not stop to tell jokes, as her sister predicts?
2. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. In Scene 2, Act 4, Lincoln receives a letter from his old friend, Seth Gale. What is Gale worrying about?
4. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)