|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
(a) The Elijiah Lovejoy League of Freemen.
(b) The AFL-CIO.
(c) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(d) The Democratic Party of Quincy, Ill.
2. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Politics and prospecting.
(b) School teaching and politics.
(c) Journalism and law.
(d) School teaching and store keeping.
3. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
(a) He feels guilty because she got brain sickness and he did not.
(b) He is relieved because he had begun to doubt her love.
(c) He feels he should die to be with her again or he will go crazy.
(d) He knows her death is for the best, and that he will be able to concentrate better without her.
4. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He suggests giving in to her every whim in order to keep life happy.
(b) He tells Lincoln that Mary Todd should be committed to a hospital.
(c) He says Lincoln should keep a tight rein on her ambitions and delusions of grandeur.
(d) He says Lincoln should always follow her advice because she has a good head for politics.
5. Why does Mary agree to the public humiliation of taking Lincoln back after two years?
(a) She never worries about what others think of her.
(b) Lincoln promises to make a public declaration of his undying love on the courthouse steps.
(c) She will control Lincoln by using his shame about their broken engagement.
(d) The humiliation will be wiped out by "ultimate triumph."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy Herndon?
2. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
3. What does Mary Todd say when asked in Act. 2, Scene 5, if she is considering marriage to Lincoln?
4. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
5. What advice does Josh Speed give Lincoln regarding his mental health?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)