|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seth Gale tells Abe he's feeling "pretty scared" about his son's health. What does Lincoln tell him?
(a) He offers to burn some incense and herbs to smoke out the boy's fever.
(b) He agrees Gale should be scared and urges him to turn back.
(c) He tells Gale that he, too, is scared but he will go West with the Gale family.
(d) He urges Gale not to be scared, that he is doing a "big thing" and shouldn't let anything beat him down.
2. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
(b) A tavern in Springfield.
(c) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(d) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
3. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
(a) The care they have for the nation and the possiblity they will abandon America if slavery spreads.
(b) Their big dreams for their son's future.
(c) The success they've achieved with the dry-cleaning business.
(d) The relationship they've developed with Gobey.
4. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
(b) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(c) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
(d) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
5. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
(a) Nancy Green accepts a job as his social secretary to keep track of his dates.
(b) Mary Todd sends Lincoln a thank-you note for a pleasant evening the previous week.
(c) Josh Speed introduces Lincoln to his sister.
(d) Ninian Edwards invites Lincoln home for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
2. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
3. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
4. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
5. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)