|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) School teaching and politics.
(b) School teaching and store keeping.
(c) Journalism and law.
(d) Politics and prospecting.
2. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(b) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(c) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(d) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
3. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
(a) Sad, Glad, Mad, Grumpy and Giddy.
(b) Indicative, Imperative, Potential, Subjunctive and Infinitive.
(c) Commanding, Questioning, Doubting, Inferior and Decisive.
(d) Meditative, Imperial, Possible, Subjective and Infinite.
4. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They are afraid to face death alone.
(b) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(c) They think of death as an awakening.
(d) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
5. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
(a) Herndon says Lincoln is really trying to escape his own failure to serve the country.
(b) He is stunned and speechless. He finishes off the bottle in his pocket.
(c) He is gobsmacked, but he helps Lincoln write another letter.
(d) Herndon agrees that Mary Todd is a witch and says he's glad Lincoln changed his mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
2. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
3. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
4. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
5. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)