|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 5 and what does it convey about the occupants?
(a) The setting is the parlor of Ninian Edwards' home and it conveys a comfortable upper-class life.
(b) The setting is Ninian Edwards' home and it conveys a sense of genteel poverty.
(c) The setting is Lincoln's log cabin and it conveys a feeling of bachelor solitude.
(d) The setting is a grand ballroom and it conveys the gala celebration of political victory.
2. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
(a) Six months.
(b) Thirteen years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Two years.
3. Where has Lincoln been, just before he arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) Visiting another woman, to whom he plans to propose.
(b) At the Statehouse, lobbying against gun registration.
(c) Fox hunting.
(d) Visiting a potential client in jail.
4. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of death.
(b) The prospect of civil war.
(c) The prospect of a harsh winter.
(d) The prospect of marriage.
5. When Lincoln arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5, does he sense tension between Mary Todd and her sister?
(a) Yes, he's aware of tension but assumes it's due to the bad marriage of Ninian and Mary's sister.
(b) He's oblivious to the tension, even though the two women are red-faced and teary-eyed.
(c) He is so intent on asking for Mary's hand in marriage, he doesn't even notice her sister is in the room.
(d) Yes, he feels there is electricity in the air, but tries to make casual conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
2. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
3. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
4. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)