|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
(a) The sun is shining brightly.
(b) A gentle breeze ruffles the leaves of autumn trees.
(c) It is storming, windy and rainy.
(d) A blizzard is going on.
2. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
(a) Get a law degree.
(b) Find a woman to marry.
(c) Move out of town.
(d) Consider becoming a minister.
3. Why does Bowling Green call Lincoln "an artful dodger" in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Lincoln has left a number of women at the altar.
(b) Lincoln is an accomplished amateur boxer who never takes a blow to the chin.
(c) Lincoln continually evades running for any office that would require him to take a public stand on slavery.
(d) Lincoln manages to slip away from debt collectors just when they are closing in on him.
4. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Abe Lincoln.
(b) Ben Mattling.
(c) Seth Gale
(d) Ann Rutledge.
5. Who is Ann Rutledge?
(a) A nun who has taken up the monastic life in Illinois.
(b) The woman Abe Lincoln wants to court.
(c) Lincoln's aunt.
(d) The postmistress of New Salem.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
2. What does Mary Todd's sister predict if she marries Lincoln?
3. Why does Mary agree to the public humiliation of taking Lincoln back after two years?
4. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
5. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)