|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
(a) A local bully is angling for a fight with Ninian Edwards.
(b) The Clancy Groves boys have the judge trapped behind the bar.
(c) Ben Mattling is having a heart attack.
(d) The Clancy Groves boys are buying a round of whiskey for everyone.
2. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) $3 a day.
(b) $2.50 a day.
(c) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(d) $5 a day.
3. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
(b) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(c) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(d) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
4. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(b) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(c) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
(d) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
5. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To announce his own run for the presidency.
(b) To recruit Lincoln to run for the State Assembly.
(c) To bring law and order to New Salem.
(d) To look at the Rutledge Tavern as an investment.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
3. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
4. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
5. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)