|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(b) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(c) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
(d) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
2. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(b) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(c) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
(d) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
3. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
(a) Ann Rutledge.
(b) Josh Speed.
(c) Jack Armstrong.
(d) Seth Gale.
4. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
(b) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
(d) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
5. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(b) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(c) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
(d) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
2. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
3. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
4. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
5. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)