|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
(b) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(c) They think of death as an awakening.
(d) They are afraid to face death alone.
2. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
(a) The upcoming union of North and South; the speaker objects.
(b) South Carolina's decision to break away from North Carolina; the speaker approves.
(c) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker approves.
(d) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker objects.
3. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
(a) Get a law degree.
(b) Move out of town.
(c) Consider becoming a minister.
(d) Find a woman to marry.
4. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
(b) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(c) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(d) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
5. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Seth Gale
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Ben Mattling.
(d) Ann Rutledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
2. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
3. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
4. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
5. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)