|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
(a) He is inspired to write his own poetry: "I've got a thought, Teacher, give me a pencil."
(b) He finds it strange: "I don't get the meaning of it, at all."
(c) It depresses him: "Life is sure 'nuff short, why think about death?"
(d) He likes it: "It sure is good...it's fine!
2. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(b) A tavern in Springfield.
(c) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
(d) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
3. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(b) $3 a day.
(c) $5 a day.
(d) $2.50 a day.
4. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) Punctuation marks.
(b) The plays of Shakespeare.
(c) The moods of the English language.
(d) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
5. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(b) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(c) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
(d) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ann Rutledge?
2. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
3. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
4. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
5. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)