|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
(a) He loves being in a crowd, but feels anxious one-to-one.
(b) He dislikes people because of their inhumanity.
(c) He is afraid of them, unless he has known them all his life.
(d) He likes them one-to-one, but crowds scare him.
2. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
(a) The chance to have suits made that will have sleeves that are long enough for his arms.
(b) The opportunity to learn from the finest lawyers in the state.
(c) Women will seek him out for marriage.
(d) He will be able to collect extra money by doing favors for friends.
3. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) Daniel Webster.
(d) George Washington.
4. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To announce his own run for the presidency.
(b) To look at the Rutledge Tavern as an investment.
(c) To recruit Lincoln to run for the State Assembly.
(d) To bring law and order to New Salem.
5. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) John Glenn.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
2. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
3. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
4. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
5. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)