|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Politics and prospecting.
(b) School teaching and store keeping.
(c) School teaching and politics.
(d) Journalism and law.
2. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Daniel Webster.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
3. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
(a) Indicative, Imperative, Potential, Subjunctive and Infinitive.
(b) Meditative, Imperial, Possible, Subjective and Infinite.
(c) Sad, Glad, Mad, Grumpy and Giddy.
(d) Commanding, Questioning, Doubting, Inferior and Decisive.
4. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
(b) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(c) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
(d) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
5. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(b) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
(c) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(d) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who is Ninian Edwards?
3. Who is Ann Rutledge?
4. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
5. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)