|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
(a) Because he prefers bow-hunting.
(b) Because he once saw one running across his mother's grave.
(c) Because his mother was an anti-gun lobbyist.
(d) Because of the scene in "Bambi," in which his mother was killed.
2. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
(b) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(d) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
3. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Journalism and law.
(b) School teaching and politics.
(c) Politics and prospecting.
(d) School teaching and store keeping.
4. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
(b) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(c) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(d) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
5. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(b) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
(c) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
(d) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
2. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
3. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
4. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
5. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)