|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) $5 a day.
(b) $2.50 a day.
(c) $3 a day.
(d) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
2. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of civil war.
(b) The prospect of death.
(c) The prospect of marriage.
(d) The prospect of a harsh winter.
3. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lincoln announces there is free pie in the town square.
(b) Lincoln diffuses the tension with the Clancy Groves boys.
(c) Lincoln punches a bully who is threatening Ann Rutledge.
(d) Lincoln gets everyone's attention by firing his pistol at the ceiling.
4. Who is Ann Rutledge?
(a) The postmistress of New Salem.
(b) The woman Abe Lincoln wants to court.
(c) Lincoln's aunt.
(d) A nun who has taken up the monastic life in Illinois.
5. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(b) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(c) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(d) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
2. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
3. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
4. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
5. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)