|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To recruit Lincoln to run for the State Assembly.
(b) To look at the Rutledge Tavern as an investment.
(c) To bring law and order to New Salem.
(d) To announce his own run for the presidency.
2. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Politics and prospecting.
(b) School teaching and store keeping.
(c) School teaching and politics.
(d) Journalism and law.
3. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
4. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lincoln announces there is free pie in the town square.
(b) Lincoln diffuses the tension with the Clancy Groves boys.
(c) Lincoln punches a bully who is threatening Ann Rutledge.
(d) Lincoln gets everyone's attention by firing his pistol at the ceiling.
5. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
(b) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
(d) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
2. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
3. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
4. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
5. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)