|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ann Rutledge?
(a) Lincoln's aunt.
(b) The postmistress of New Salem.
(c) The woman Abe Lincoln wants to court.
(d) A nun who has taken up the monastic life in Illinois.
2. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Ben Mattling.
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Ann Rutledge.
(d) Seth Gale
3. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(b) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(c) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
(d) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
4. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) The Fourth of July.
(d) Labor Day.
5. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They think of death as an awakening.
(b) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
(c) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(d) They are afraid to face death alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
2. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
3. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Who is Ninian Edwards?
5. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)