|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lincoln announces there is free pie in the town square.
(b) Lincoln punches a bully who is threatening Ann Rutledge.
(c) Lincoln diffuses the tension with the Clancy Groves boys.
(d) Lincoln gets everyone's attention by firing his pistol at the ceiling.
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(b) Punctuation marks.
(c) The plays of Shakespeare.
(d) The moods of the English language.
3. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
(a) He likes them one-to-one, but crowds scare him.
(b) He loves being in a crowd, but feels anxious one-to-one.
(c) He dislikes people because of their inhumanity.
(d) He is afraid of them, unless he has known them all his life.
4. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
(a) He thinks it's a comical notion and not a good idea.
(b) He's excited and jumps at the chance.
(c) He is angry because he thinks the idea is a bad joke.
(d) He weeps because his friends think so highly of him.
5. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A tavern in Springfield.
(b) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(c) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(d) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
2. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
3. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
4. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
5. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)