|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(b) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(c) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
(d) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
2. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(b) A tavern in Springfield.
(c) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(d) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
3. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(b) Labor Day.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
4. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
(a) He will be able to collect extra money by doing favors for friends.
(b) The chance to have suits made that will have sleeves that are long enough for his arms.
(c) The opportunity to learn from the finest lawyers in the state.
(d) Women will seek him out for marriage.
5. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(b) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(c) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
(d) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
2. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
3. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
4. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
5. Who is Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)