|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lincoln diffuses the tension with the Clancy Groves boys.
(b) Lincoln announces there is free pie in the town square.
(c) Lincoln gets everyone's attention by firing his pistol at the ceiling.
(d) Lincoln punches a bully who is threatening Ann Rutledge.
2. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(b) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(c) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(d) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
3. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She has been jilted by her fiance, who left town.
(b) She is in line for a job as the town's teacher.
(c) She is in love with Abe Lincoln.
(d) She is secretly a witch.
4. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
(a) Daniel Webster.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) James Madison.
5. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(b) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(c) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
(d) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
2. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
3. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
4. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
5. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)