|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) $2.50 a day.
(b) $3 a day.
(c) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(d) $5 a day.
2. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
(a) To attend law school and go into practice together.
(b) To relocate to Springfield and open a general store.
(c) To move to California, in search of gold.
(d) To move west, to Nebraska.
3. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
(a) George Washington.
(b) James Madison.
(c) Daniel Webster.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
4. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Ann Rutledge.
(b) Ben Mattling.
(c) Seth Gale
(d) Abe Lincoln.
5. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
(b) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(d) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
2. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
3. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
4. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
5. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)