|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Politics and prospecting.
(b) School teaching and politics.
(c) School teaching and store keeping.
(d) Journalism and law.
2. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
(a) He likes them one-to-one, but crowds scare him.
(b) He loves being in a crowd, but feels anxious one-to-one.
(c) He is afraid of them, unless he has known them all his life.
(d) He dislikes people because of their inhumanity.
3. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
(a) That his partner will buy the store where Abe works and fire him.
(b) That he'll never have a chance to run for public office.
(c) That he will fail at the job of postmaster.
(d) That if he ever gets out of debt, he'll get right back in again.
4. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By asking her to dance on the bar.
(b) By delivering a package from her fiance.
(c) By bursting into song when she agrees to talk with him.
(d) By declaring his love for her.
5. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of marriage.
(b) The prospect of a harsh winter.
(c) The prospect of civil war.
(d) The prospect of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
2. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
3. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
4. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
5. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)