|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(b) Punctuation marks.
(c) The moods of the English language.
(d) The plays of Shakespeare.
2. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(b) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(c) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(d) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
3. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By bursting into song when she agrees to talk with him.
(b) By asking her to dance on the bar.
(c) By delivering a package from her fiance.
(d) By declaring his love for her.
4. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) School teaching and store keeping.
(b) Journalism and law.
(c) Politics and prospecting.
(d) School teaching and politics.
5. Who is Ann Rutledge?
(a) The woman Abe Lincoln wants to court.
(b) A nun who has taken up the monastic life in Illinois.
(c) The postmistress of New Salem.
(d) Lincoln's aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ninian Edwards?
2. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
3. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
4. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
5. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)