Eight Week Quiz D
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
(a) Lincoln defended her husband unsuccessfully and he was hanged.
(b) Lincoln took a horse from her late husband in payment.
(c) She is a poor widow and Lincoln doesn't take money from widows.
(d) He believes she is going to inherit a lot of money, so he can wait for payment.
2. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
(a) Ninian Edwards invites Lincoln home for dinner.
(b) Mary Todd sends Lincoln a thank-you note for a pleasant evening the previous week.
(c) Nancy Green accepts a job as his social secretary to keep track of his dates.
(d) Josh Speed introduces Lincoln to his sister.
3. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
(a) He is against the marriage; he knows Ann has been seeing someone else.
(b) He's for the marriage; Ann's family has a lot of money to spend on campaigns.
(c) Judge Green is against it; he thinks Ann will be a hindrance to Lincoln.
(d) He's all for the marriage; he thinks Ann will keep Lincoln on track.
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
(b) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(c) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
(d) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
5. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
3. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
4. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
5. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)