|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that the visitors to Lincoln's home in Act 3, Scene 10 want to talk about with him?
(a) Opening a local branch of Macy's.
(b) Running for President of the United States.
(c) Taking over the Department of Justice.
(d) Shutting down the abolitionist newspaper.
2. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He says Lincoln should always follow her advice because she has a good head for politics.
(b) He tells Lincoln that Mary Todd should be committed to a hospital.
(c) He suggests giving in to her every whim in order to keep life happy.
(d) He says Lincoln should keep a tight rein on her ambitions and delusions of grandeur.
3. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 5 and what does it convey about the occupants?
(a) The setting is a grand ballroom and it conveys the gala celebration of political victory.
(b) The setting is Ninian Edwards' home and it conveys a sense of genteel poverty.
(c) The setting is Lincoln's log cabin and it conveys a feeling of bachelor solitude.
(d) The setting is the parlor of Ninian Edwards' home and it conveys a comfortable upper-class life.
4. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Harrison Ford.
(b) Martin Van Buren.
(c) Winston Churchill.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
(b) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
(c) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
(d) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
2. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
3. What has Mary Todd been doing while Lincoln entertains his guests?
4. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
5. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)