|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
(a) The two have to hear their children's bedtime prayers.
(b) He feigns an injury and asks his wife to help him upstairs.
(c) He takes his wife dancing.
(d) He doesn't give an excuse, just grabs his wife's arm and hustles her off stage.
2. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He asks them to keep Lincoln with them and not let him out of their sight.
(b) He requests they accompany Lincoln to Springfield for opening of the Legislature.
(c) He wants them to take copious notes about Lincoln's mood.
(d) He asks them to call a physician to treat Lincoln's stress.
3. What university does Lincoln's oldest son attend?
(d) University of Illinois.
4. How does Lincoln jokingly describe, in Act 2, Scene 5, the act of defending a murder suspect?
(a) "Spinning doubt as thick as a black widow's web."
(b) "Tossing enough hot potatos to keep a judge from telling which one is rotten."
(c) "Doing what I can to obstruct the orderly processes of justice."
(d) "Whipping such a blizzard of words as to keep justice slipping and sliding."
5. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
(a) He hates her ambitions for him and doesn't want to be driven to achieve her goals for the rest of his life.
(b) He knows he is losing his mind and wants to spare her from sharing his pain.
(c) He believes she really wants to marry Stephen Douglas.
(d) She has taken to wearing spurs and brandishing a whip when they are alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
2. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
3. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
4. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
5. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)