|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) School teaching and politics.
(b) Journalism and law.
(c) School teaching and store keeping.
(d) Politics and prospecting.
2. How does Lincoln jokingly describe, in Act 2, Scene 5, the act of defending a murder suspect?
(a) "Doing what I can to obstruct the orderly processes of justice."
(b) "Tossing enough hot potatos to keep a judge from telling which one is rotten."
(c) "Spinning doubt as thick as a black widow's web."
(d) "Whipping such a blizzard of words as to keep justice slipping and sliding."
3. In Scene 2, Act 4, Lincoln receives a letter from his old friend, Seth Gale. What is Gale worrying about?
(a) Gale's property taxes are going sky-high to pay for liberation of the slaves.
(b) His wife's increasingly bizarre behavior.
(c) The possible annexation of Texas, which would result in the extension of slavery through all the territories.
(d) The prospect of his father's death and the debts he will inherit.
4. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
(a) He weeps because his friends think so highly of him.
(b) He's excited and jumps at the chance.
(c) He thinks it's a comical notion and not a good idea.
(d) He is angry because he thinks the idea is a bad joke.
5. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(b) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(c) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(d) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
2. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
3. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
4. Who is Billy Herndon?
5. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)