|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
(b) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(c) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
(d) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
2. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(b) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
(c) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(d) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
3. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
(a) A blizzard is going on.
(b) A gentle breeze ruffles the leaves of autumn trees.
(c) It is storming, windy and rainy.
(d) The sun is shining brightly.
4. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
(b) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
(c) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(d) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
5. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
(b) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
(c) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
(d) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
3. What are the railroad workers in Illinois doing, according to Douglas, to protest their low wages?
4. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
5. What legal case established that slaves should be considered property?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)