|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
(a) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker objects.
(b) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker approves.
(c) South Carolina's decision to break away from North Carolina; the speaker approves.
(d) The upcoming union of North and South; the speaker objects.
2. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Gobey, a runaway slave.
(b) Gobey, a free negro who works for the family.
(c) Seth Gale's good friend, Gobey.
(d) The Gale family slave, Gobey.
3. Why has Lincoln come to see Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) He has come to apologize for breaking their engagement.
(b) He has come for dinner, at the invitation of her brother-in-law.
(c) He has hopes she will revive his political career.
(d) He has come to give word of his engagement to another woman.
4. What is the essential element Lincoln's party is seeking in a presidential candidate when they ask him to run?
(a) A willingness to raise taxes.
(b) A strong military policy.
(c) The ability to get elected.
(d) An anti-slavery attitude.
5. What does Mary Todd say when asked in Act. 2, Scene 5, if she is considering marriage to Lincoln?
(a) "I have decided I shall be Mrs. Lincoln."
(b) "I am determined to marry Stephen Douglas."
(c) "I have never given that idea a moment's thought."
(d) "That is the most repulsive idea I've ever heard."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
2. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
3. Who is Ann Rutledge?
4. What university does Lincoln's oldest son attend?
5. Who does Lincoln blame for all the political strife in the country?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)