|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
(a) To attend law school and go into practice together.
(b) To relocate to Springfield and open a general store.
(c) To move west, to Nebraska.
(d) To move to California, in search of gold.
2. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
(b) He becomes an atheist.
(c) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
(d) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
3. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
(a) Daniel Webster.
(b) James Madison.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
4. What does Lincoln ask Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) To move west to Oregon with him and Seth Gale.
(b) To leave town so he and Ninian Edwards can resume their friendship.
(c) To contribute to his campaign.
(d) To be his wife.
5. When Lincoln arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5, does he sense tension between Mary Todd and her sister?
(a) He is so intent on asking for Mary's hand in marriage, he doesn't even notice her sister is in the room.
(b) Yes, he feels there is electricity in the air, but tries to make casual conversation.
(c) He's oblivious to the tension, even though the two women are red-faced and teary-eyed.
(d) Yes, he's aware of tension but assumes it's due to the bad marriage of Ninian and Mary's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What institution does Douglas use to bolster his argument that negroes are not equal under the Constitution?
2. In Act 2, Scene 5, Lincoln mentions a woman "foxing" his pants--what does that mean?
3. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
4. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
5. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)