|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The influential men visiting Lincoln ask about his views on which two topics?
(a) Slavery and bank regulation.
(b) Taxes and slavery.
(c) Religion and interstate commerce.
(d) Workers rights and religious faith.
2. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
(b) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(c) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
(d) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
3. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(b) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(c) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
(d) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
4. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
(b) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
(c) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
(d) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
5. What legal case established that slaves should be considered property?
(a) Brown v. Board of Education.
(b) Dred Scott v. Sandford.
(c) The Slaughterhouse Cases.
(d) Marbury v. Madison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
3. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
4. What is it that the visitors to Lincoln's home in Act 3, Scene 10 want to talk about with him?
5. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)