|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
(a) John Keats.
(b) John Lennon.
(c) John Brown.
(d) John Singer Sargeant.
2. The influential men visiting Lincoln ask about his views on which two topics?
(a) Taxes and slavery.
(b) Slavery and bank regulation.
(c) Religion and interstate commerce.
(d) Workers rights and religious faith.
3. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
(b) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
(c) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(d) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
4. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
(b) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
(c) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
(d) Civil war might break out.
5. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
(a) She admits her love was based on financial greed.
(b) She knows her lack of confidence in his ability made him sad.
(c) She acknowledges pushing him too hard to fulfill her ambitions.
(d) She agrees her incessant chatter drove Lincoln crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Lincoln come to see Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
2. How old is Abe Lincoln at the time of Act 2, Scene 4 in his Springfield law office?
3. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
4. Who is Ninian Edwards?
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)