|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ann Rutledge?
(a) The woman Abe Lincoln wants to court.
(b) A nun who has taken up the monastic life in Illinois.
(c) The postmistress of New Salem.
(d) Lincoln's aunt.
2. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(b) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
(c) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(d) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
3. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
(b) They think of death as an awakening.
(c) They are afraid to face death alone.
(d) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
4. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lincoln punches a bully who is threatening Ann Rutledge.
(b) Lincoln diffuses the tension with the Clancy Groves boys.
(c) Lincoln announces there is free pie in the town square.
(d) Lincoln gets everyone's attention by firing his pistol at the ceiling.
5. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(b) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
(c) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
(d) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
2. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
4. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
5. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)