|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) Punctuation marks.
(b) The plays of Shakespeare.
(c) The moods of the English language.
(d) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
2. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
(a) Move out of town.
(b) Find a woman to marry.
(c) Consider becoming a minister.
(d) Get a law degree.
3. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
(b) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
(c) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
(d) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
4. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lincoln punches a bully who is threatening Ann Rutledge.
(b) Lincoln gets everyone's attention by firing his pistol at the ceiling.
(c) Lincoln diffuses the tension with the Clancy Groves boys.
(d) Lincoln announces there is free pie in the town square.
5. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
(a) He weeps because his friends think so highly of him.
(b) He's excited and jumps at the chance.
(c) He is angry because he thinks the idea is a bad joke.
(d) He thinks it's a comical notion and not a good idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
2. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
3. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
4. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
5. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)