|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
(b) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
(c) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
(d) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
2. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
(b) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
(c) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
(d) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
3. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
(a) Meditative, Imperial, Possible, Subjective and Infinite.
(b) Sad, Glad, Mad, Grumpy and Giddy.
(c) Commanding, Questioning, Doubting, Inferior and Decisive.
(d) Indicative, Imperative, Potential, Subjunctive and Infinitive.
4. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
(a) He is afraid of them, unless he has known them all his life.
(b) He loves being in a crowd, but feels anxious one-to-one.
(c) He dislikes people because of their inhumanity.
(d) He likes them one-to-one, but crowds scare him.
5. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
(b) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(c) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
(d) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
2. Why does Bowling Green call Lincoln "an artful dodger" in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Who is Ninian Edwards?
5. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)