|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
(a) Nancy Green accepts a job as his social secretary to keep track of his dates.
(b) Ninian Edwards invites Lincoln home for dinner.
(c) Josh Speed introduces Lincoln to his sister.
(d) Mary Todd sends Lincoln a thank-you note for a pleasant evening the previous week.
2. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Seth Gale
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Ben Mattling.
(d) Ann Rutledge.
3. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Dunk Lincoln in the river to wash away his stubborn streak.
(b) Introduce Lincoln to a good woman to marry.
(c) Take Lincoln out to dinner and get him drunk.
(d) Drag him out of the stagnant pool in which he is drowning himself.
4. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(b) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(c) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
(d) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
5. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By declaring his love for her.
(b) By delivering a package from her fiance.
(c) By bursting into song when she agrees to talk with him.
(d) By asking her to dance on the bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ann Rutledge?
2. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
3. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
5. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)