|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
(b) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
(c) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
(d) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
2. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(b) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(c) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(d) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
(b) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
(c) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(d) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
4. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(b) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(c) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(d) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
5. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
(a) John Lennon.
(b) John Brown.
(c) John Keats.
(d) John Singer Sargeant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
2. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
3. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
4. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
5. Who does Lincoln blame for all the political strife in the country?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)