|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Son of the Illinois governor.
(b) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(c) A merchant passing through New Salem.
(d) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
2. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
(b) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(c) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(d) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
(b) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
(c) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(d) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
4. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(b) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(c) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(d) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
5. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
(a) Because of the scene in "Bambi," in which his mother was killed.
(b) Because he once saw one running across his mother's grave.
(c) Because he prefers bow-hunting.
(d) Because his mother was an anti-gun lobbyist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
2. How old is Abe Lincoln at the time of Act 2, Scene 4 in his Springfield law office?
3. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
4. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
5. Why does Bowling Green call Lincoln "an artful dodger" in Act 2, Scene 4?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)