|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(b) In Rutledge's Tavern.
(c) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(d) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
2. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
(a) Bowling Green and Josh Speed.
(b) Ann Rutledge and Josh Speed.
(c) Seth Gale and Nancy Green.
(d) Bowling and Nancy Green.
3. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(b) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(c) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
(d) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
4. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Abe Lincoln.
(b) Ann Rutledge.
(c) Ben Mattling.
(d) Seth Gale
5. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
(a) Nancy Green accepts a job as his social secretary to keep track of his dates.
(b) Josh Speed introduces Lincoln to his sister.
(c) Ninian Edwards invites Lincoln home for dinner.
(d) Mary Todd sends Lincoln a thank-you note for a pleasant evening the previous week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
2. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
4. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
5. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)