|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(b) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
(c) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
(d) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
2. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To bring law and order to New Salem.
(b) To recruit Lincoln to run for the State Assembly.
(c) To announce his own run for the presidency.
(d) To look at the Rutledge Tavern as an investment.
3. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Martin Van Buren.
(b) Winston Churchill.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Harrison Ford.
4. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
(a) He believes she is going to inherit a lot of money, so he can wait for payment.
(b) Lincoln defended her husband unsuccessfully and he was hanged.
(c) Lincoln took a horse from her late husband in payment.
(d) She is a poor widow and Lincoln doesn't take money from widows.
5. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
(a) He feels guilty because she got brain sickness and he did not.
(b) He feels he should die to be with her again or he will go crazy.
(c) He knows her death is for the best, and that he will be able to concentrate better without her.
(d) He is relieved because he had begun to doubt her love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
2. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
3. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
4. Who is Ninian Edwards?
5. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)