|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
(b) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
(c) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(d) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
2. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Son of the Illinois governor.
(b) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(c) A merchant passing through New Salem.
(d) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
3. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
(a) Her love makes him weak at the knees and fuzzy in his thoughts; he knows he can't make anything of himself.
(b) Her love makes him believe in God, believe that all things are possible, and he can do anything he wants.
(c) Her love makes him irritable because she is so needy.
(d) Her love inspires him to write great poetry.
4. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
(b) The wind howls in agony along with him.
(c) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
(d) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
5. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
(a) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker objects.
(b) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker approves.
(c) The upcoming union of North and South; the speaker objects.
(d) South Carolina's decision to break away from North Carolina; the speaker approves.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
2. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
3. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
4. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
5. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)