|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
(b) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
(c) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
(d) Civil war might break out.
2. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
(a) The Clancy Groves boys have the judge trapped behind the bar.
(b) Ben Mattling is having a heart attack.
(c) The Clancy Groves boys are buying a round of whiskey for everyone.
(d) A local bully is angling for a fight with Ninian Edwards.
3. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
(a) He cheats at cards.
(b) He kills compulsively.
(c) He drinks too much and too often.
(d) He is a womanizer.
4. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
(a) He loves being in a crowd, but feels anxious one-to-one.
(b) He likes them one-to-one, but crowds scare him.
(c) He dislikes people because of their inhumanity.
(d) He is afraid of them, unless he has known them all his life.
5. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(b) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
(c) Son of the Illinois governor.
(d) A merchant passing through New Salem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
3. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
4. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
5. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)