|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
(a) To move west, to Nebraska.
(b) To attend law school and go into practice together.
(c) To move to California, in search of gold.
(d) To relocate to Springfield and open a general store.
2. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
(a) Seth Gale.
(b) Jack Armstrong.
(c) Josh Speed.
(d) Ann Rutledge.
3. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(b) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
(d) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
4. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) Civil war might break out.
(b) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
(c) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
(d) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
5. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They are afraid to face death alone.
(b) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
(c) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(d) They think of death as an awakening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
2. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
3. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
4. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)