|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
(a) Seth Gale's mother is dead of malaria.
(b) Lincoln's dog, Rufus, has been killed in a hunting mishap.
(c) Jack Armstrong is in jail for murder.
(d) The death of Lincoln's friend, Bowling Green.
2. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(b) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
(c) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
(d) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
3. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He requests they accompany Lincoln to Springfield for opening of the Legislature.
(b) He wants them to take copious notes about Lincoln's mood.
(c) He asks them to call a physician to treat Lincoln's stress.
(d) He asks them to keep Lincoln with them and not let him out of their sight.
4. In the debate, Lincoln accuses Douglas of pandering to both sides of the slavery issue. What does he mean?
(a) Offering a trip to China to see the giant Pandas if a compromise is reached.
(b) Breathing heavily whenever the issue becomes heated.
(c) Refusing to take a stand either for or against slavery.
(d) Telling the South he's for slavery and the North that it shouldn't be allowed to spread.
5. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
(b) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
(c) Ann Rutledge is sick.
(d) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
2. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
3. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
4. To which of Shakespeare's characters does Douglas compare Lincoln?
5. What legal case established that slaves should be considered property?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)