|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the Provencal song they sang after the speeches?
2. What is a toilette a la Turque?
3. What was the weather like in October?
4. What does the postman relate about his friend?
5. Who is the Mayles' guest who is disaster-prone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
2. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
3. At the suggestion of Bernard, the pool man, where do the Mayles go to eat?
4. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
5. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
6. What English Christmas festivities did the Mayles miss?
7. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
8. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
9. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
10. Describe the dinner the Mayles are invited to in November.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calendars play a part in the last section of the book. Write an essay answering some or all of the questions listed below:
What part do calendars play in the book? Which calendar has a funny picture?
What is it a picture of? Who gives the two different calendars to the Mayles?
Do the Mayles tip them? Do calendars play an important part in your life?
Do you use a free, commercial calendar or buy a specialized calendar dealing with a subject that interests you or having photos you like? Perhaps you buy a large wall calendar with spaces to plan each day, a desk calendar or a pocket calendar or several different calendar?
Essay Topic 2
The Mayles, an English couple, buy a house with property in Provence with the plan to renovate it and spend a year there.
Part 1) Describe the house in as much detail as possible. Is is large? Is is wood, stone? Do you think the Mayles made a good choice by buying this house? Why?
Part 2) Describe the property. Are there any special features to the property?
Part 3) How do the house and property play a role in helping the Mayles establish relationships with different people in Provence?
Essay Topic 3
Time and time again throughout the book you can see how Peter and his wife treat the people of Provence: their neighbors, the workmen they hire , the people they meet in the village etc. Write an essay describing the way the Mayles view and treat the people they come in contact with in Provence. Do you think they have chosen a good approach to getting to know the people in Provence? Would you do likewise if you were to spend a year in Provence? If not, what would you do that would be different? Do you think the Mayles' friendly interaction with the people they come in contact with has the greatest impact on how they view their year in Provence? If not, what other thing is more important?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)