|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faustin suggest because a cold winter is predicted?
2. What are the "Sayings of August?"
3. How many bakers are listed in the yellow pages in Cavaillon?
4. Who delivered the opening speech?
5. What dance did Peter like the best at the dinner honoring his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Mayles learn about bread?
2. At the suggestion of Bernard, the pool man, where do the Mayles go to eat?
3. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
4. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
5. Describe the dinner the Mayles are invited to in November.
6. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
7. Describe the man Peter meets in the forest.
8. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
9. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
10. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different events happening at different times of the year in Provence are important to the book. For example there's the tourist season, the harvest season, the hunting season etc.
Choose one of the seasons mentioned above and write a detailed description of it in an essay How does learning about it help you understand Provence and its people better. How do they differ from you or from Americans in general? Why did you choose that topic to write about?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different animals portrayed in the book.
1) Describe the three different kinds of dogs used for hunting in Provence. Tell how the hunters find the dogs if they get lost during the hunt.
2) The Mayles attend a goat race. There are many comical things about the race and the goats in the race. Describe the goats . Why are some goats supposed to be faster? Describe how the goats fare during the race. Are there similar animal races in the U.S., perhaps at a country fair?
3) Choose three of your favorite animals in the book and write about them. For example, there's Penelope, the dog, there's an ass who takes part in a Christmas creche in the village and there are Massot's three dogs.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read the entire book and this is the last essay topic, do you think that you would want to buy a house in Provence and live there for a year anytime during your life? Write an essay telling how the book influenced your answer to this question. Include anything in the book which supports and explains your answer.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)