|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sanitation men mind that is left for them to clean up?
2. What was the weather like in October?
3. What did the dogs discover on their morning walk?
4. What do Faustin, his wife and daughters use to harvest the table grapes?
5. Whom did Peter call when there was a problem with the house or property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
2. What does Faustin advise the Mayles to do and why?
3. How do the Mayles learn about bread?
4. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
5. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
6. What does Menicucci do at the Mayles house in August?
7. Describe the dinner the Mayles are invited to in November.
8. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
9. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
10. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book the Mayles experience the Mistral.
Part 1) What is the Mistral? Where does it come from? Why is it important in the book? It appears twice in the book. Write a short description of the two different appearances of the Mistral.
Part 2) What are some of the effects on people and animals attributed to the Mistral in the book? How is the Mayles' house affected by the Mistral?
Part 3) Monsieur Menicucci has a theory about why the last three winters in Provence have been colder because of a change in the Mistral. Explain his theory. Does it seem
plausible to you?
Essay Topic 2
Choose the character in the book you like the least. Who is that character? What is his or her name? Describe his or her appearance if that is given. Describe his or her personality and character. Is this person important to the book or the Mayles? In what way? Why don't you like that character?
Essay Topic 3
As has been mentioned before, there are many colorful characters among the people of Provence whom the Mayles come in contact with.
Part 1) Describe the neighbor, Massot. Is he a sympathetic character? An interesting character? What are some of the strange things he thinks and does?
Part 2) Menicucci is a character whom Peter turns to when he has a problem. Write an essay with a description of Menicucci which explains why Peter trusts him so. Mention some of the things Menicucci does for Peter in the book.
Part 3) Faustin and his wife Henriette are also important characters in the book. Describe them and their relationship to the Mayles. How do the couples interact?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)