|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main event of Christmas in Provence?
2. What picture in the calendar he gives Peter does the postman show him?
3. What were the local friends of the Mayles recovering from in September?
4. Where did Peter's friend who was to be honored live?
5. Whom did Peter call when there was a problem with the house or property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
2. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
3. What is the irony of Christmas Day to the Mayles?
4. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
5. What does Menicucci do at the Mayles house in August?
6. At the suggestion of Bernard, the pool man, where do the Mayles go to eat?
7. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
8. Describe the man Peter meets in the forest.
9. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
10. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calendars play a part in the last section of the book. Write an essay answering some or all of the questions listed below:
What part do calendars play in the book? Which calendar has a funny picture?
What is it a picture of? Who gives the two different calendars to the Mayles?
Do the Mayles tip them? Do calendars play an important part in your life?
Do you use a free, commercial calendar or buy a specialized calendar dealing with a subject that interests you or having photos you like? Perhaps you buy a large wall calendar with spaces to plan each day, a desk calendar or a pocket calendar or several different calendar?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book the Mayles experience the Mistral.
Part 1) What is the Mistral? Where does it come from? Why is it important in the book? It appears twice in the book. Write a short description of the two different appearances of the Mistral.
Part 2) What are some of the effects on people and animals attributed to the Mistral in the book? How is the Mayles' house affected by the Mistral?
Part 3) Monsieur Menicucci has a theory about why the last three winters in Provence have been colder because of a change in the Mistral. Explain his theory. Does it seem
plausible to you?
Essay Topic 3
Choose the character in the book you like the least. Who is that character? What is his or her name? Describe his or her appearance if that is given. Describe his or her personality and character. Is this person important to the book or the Mayles? In what way? Why don't you like that character?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)