|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is rumored to have bought a house in Provence?
2. What cafe do the Mayles eat at in November?
3. Where are the grapes weighed and tested for alcoholic content?
4. What did Massot find that proved to him that Germans had camped in the park?
5. What idea did Madame Mayle have for getting the work on the house done before Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
2. Describe the Cote d'Azur.
3. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
4. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
5. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
6. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
7. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
8. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
9. What English Christmas festivities did the Mayles miss?
10. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Mayles hire a number of different workmen to renovate their house and property in the book. Write an essay describing two or more of the workmen. What were their names? Specialty? What are some of the characteristics peculiar to workmen of Provence? Are they dependable? Do they work hard? What did each workman do to renovate the Mayles' home? How did Madame Mayle influence the workmen so that they finished the renovation of the house before Christmas?
Essay Topic 2
There are many colorful and interesting characters in the book. Three of them are Faustin, Menicucci and Massot. Write an essay on one of these three characters. Describe the character. What is characteristic of this character? Describe the character's physical appearance if it was important in the book. Describe his personality or character traits. Why do you find this character interesting? Why is this character important to Peter Mayle?
Essay Topic 3
Calendars play a part in the last section of the book. Write an essay answering some or all of the questions listed below:
What part do calendars play in the book? Which calendar has a funny picture?
What is it a picture of? Who gives the two different calendars to the Mayles?
Do the Mayles tip them? Do calendars play an important part in your life?
Do you use a free, commercial calendar or buy a specialized calendar dealing with a subject that interests you or having photos you like? Perhaps you buy a large wall calendar with spaces to plan each day, a desk calendar or a pocket calendar or several different calendar?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)