|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What present do the workers give the Mayles?
2. What had some friends of the Mayles seen in their hotel room which frightened them?
3. What was the Cote d'Azur like when Peter visited it?
4. What takes place at the Mayles' house in August?
5. What does the postman relate about his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
2. Describe the man Peter meets in the forest.
3. At the suggestion of Bernard, the pool man, where do the Mayles go to eat?
4. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
5. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
6. What English Christmas festivities did the Mayles miss?
7. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
8. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
9. Describe the dinner the Mayles are invited to in November.
10. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As has been mentioned before, there are many colorful characters among the people of Provence whom the Mayles come in contact with.
Part 1) Describe the neighbor, Massot. Is he a sympathetic character? An interesting character? What are some of the strange things he thinks and does?
Part 2) Menicucci is a character whom Peter turns to when he has a problem. Write an essay with a description of Menicucci which explains why Peter trusts him so. Mention some of the things Menicucci does for Peter in the book.
Part 3) Faustin and his wife Henriette are also important characters in the book. Describe them and their relationship to the Mayles. How do the couples interact?
Essay Topic 2
The Mayles, an English couple, buy a house with property in Provence with the plan to renovate it and spend a year there.
Part 1) Describe the house in as much detail as possible. Is is large? Is is wood, stone? Do you think the Mayles made a good choice by buying this house? Why?
Part 2) Describe the property. Are there any special features to the property?
Part 3) How do the house and property play a role in helping the Mayles establish relationships with different people in Provence?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of different animals portrayed in the book.
1) Describe the three different kinds of dogs used for hunting in Provence. Tell how the hunters find the dogs if they get lost during the hunt.
2) The Mayles attend a goat race. There are many comical things about the race and the goats in the race. Describe the goats . Why are some goats supposed to be faster? Describe how the goats fare during the race. Are there similar animal races in the U.S., perhaps at a country fair?
3) Choose three of your favorite animals in the book and write about them. For example, there's Penelope, the dog, there's an ass who takes part in a Christmas creche in the village and there are Massot's three dogs.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)