|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "Sayings of August?"
2. What did Massot say to Peter that was uncharacteristic of him?
3. What was the hall officially called?
4. Who is rumored to have bought a house in Provence?
5. What do Faustin, his wife and daughters use to harvest the table grapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
2. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
3. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
4. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
5. What is the irony of Christmas Day to the Mayles?
6. Describe the Cote d'Azur.
7. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
8. What English Christmas festivities did the Mayles miss?
9. What does Faustin advise the Mayles to do and why?
10. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose the character in the book you like the least. Who is that character? What is his or her name? Describe his or her appearance if that is given. Describe his or her personality and character. Is this person important to the book or the Mayles? In what way? Why don't you like that character?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different animals portrayed in the book.
1) Describe the three different kinds of dogs used for hunting in Provence. Tell how the hunters find the dogs if they get lost during the hunt.
2) The Mayles attend a goat race. There are many comical things about the race and the goats in the race. Describe the goats . Why are some goats supposed to be faster? Describe how the goats fare during the race. Are there similar animal races in the U.S., perhaps at a country fair?
3) Choose three of your favorite animals in the book and write about them. For example, there's Penelope, the dog, there's an ass who takes part in a Christmas creche in the village and there are Massot's three dogs.
Essay Topic 3
Of all the many characters in the book , whom do you like the most and why? Choose any character, describe him or her. What is his or her physical appearance, age, personality? How is the character important to the book? To the Mayles?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)