|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mayles are surprised at the French fondness for what?
2. Which goats were supposed to do well in the race?
3. Who delivered the opening speech?
4. What does the postman relate about his friend?
5. What is the name of the carpet-layer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
2. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
3. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
4. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
5. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
6. What does Menicucci do at the Mayles house in August?
7. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
8. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
9. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
10. Why can't the meter reader read the meter and how does Menicucci fix the problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Food is one of the most important things in the lives of the people of Provence.
Part 1 ) Describe some of the Provencal food you remember reading about in the book.
Where was it served? In a private home? In a cafe? In a restaurant?
Why did it make an impression on you? Would you like to eat it? Would you like to learn how to prepare it?
Part 2) Describe how the attitude of the people of Provence toward food differs from the attitude of Americans toward food? Go into detail.
Part 3) The Mayles learn a lot about mushrooms, bread and olive oil. Choose one of these foods covered in the book and write an essay on it.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different animals portrayed in the book.
1) Describe the three different kinds of dogs used for hunting in Provence. Tell how the hunters find the dogs if they get lost during the hunt.
2) The Mayles attend a goat race. There are many comical things about the race and the goats in the race. Describe the goats . Why are some goats supposed to be faster? Describe how the goats fare during the race. Are there similar animal races in the U.S., perhaps at a country fair?
3) Choose three of your favorite animals in the book and write about them. For example, there's Penelope, the dog, there's an ass who takes part in a Christmas creche in the village and there are Massot's three dogs.
Essay Topic 3
In the book two markets are described. The Mayles go to these markets on Sunday. The first market they visit is in Coustellet, the second in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
Choose one of these markets and write an essay on the market including a detailed description of the market, the people at the market and what was sold at the market. Tell
why you thought the market you chose to write about was colorful or particularly interesting. Did you learn anything about the people in Provence from reading about the market? What did you learn?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)