|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is summoned to fix the washed out drive?
2. Who is rumored to have bought a house in Provence?
3. What surprise gift do the Mayles receive?
4. What did the dogs discover on their morning walk?
5. Who wrote the Provencal song they sang after the speeches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dinner the Mayles are invited to in November.
2. Describe the Cote d'Azur.
3. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
4. What does Faustin advise the Mayles to do and why?
5. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
6. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
7. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
8. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
9. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
10. What is the irony of Christmas Day to the Mayles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different events happening at different times of the year in Provence are important to the book. For example there's the tourist season, the harvest season, the hunting season etc.
Choose one of the seasons mentioned above and write a detailed description of it in an essay How does learning about it help you understand Provence and its people better. How do they differ from you or from Americans in general? Why did you choose that topic to write about?
Essay Topic 2
As has been mentioned before, there are many colorful characters among the people of Provence whom the Mayles come in contact with.
Part 1) Describe the neighbor, Massot. Is he a sympathetic character? An interesting character? What are some of the strange things he thinks and does?
Part 2) Menicucci is a character whom Peter turns to when he has a problem. Write an essay with a description of Menicucci which explains why Peter trusts him so. Mention some of the things Menicucci does for Peter in the book.
Part 3) Faustin and his wife Henriette are also important characters in the book. Describe them and their relationship to the Mayles. How do the couples interact?
Essay Topic 3
Of all the many characters in the book , whom do you like the most and why? Choose any character, describe him or her. What is his or her physical appearance, age, personality? How is the character important to the book? To the Mayles?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)