|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the carpet get soaked?
2. What do the sanitation men mind that is left for them to clean up?
3. Where was Peter's friend's house built?
4. Which goats were supposed to do well in the race?
5. Where is the heating system located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
2. Why can't the meter reader read the meter and how does Menicucci fix the problem?
3. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
4. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
5. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
6. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
7. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
8. Describe the Cote d'Azur.
9. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
10. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book the Mayles learn any number of interesting and helpful things.
Part 1) Choose one area of expertise that the Mayles become familiar with and write an essay telling about what you learned from reading about it. For instance , the Mayles learn all about bread, olive oil and mushroom gathering.
Part 2) Choose several small , interesting things you learned in the book which might come in handy some day like how Menicucci got rid of the any colony. Write about these things in an essay.
Essay Topic 2
As has been mentioned before, there are many colorful characters among the people of Provence whom the Mayles come in contact with.
Part 1) Describe the neighbor, Massot. Is he a sympathetic character? An interesting character? What are some of the strange things he thinks and does?
Part 2) Menicucci is a character whom Peter turns to when he has a problem. Write an essay with a description of Menicucci which explains why Peter trusts him so. Mention some of the things Menicucci does for Peter in the book.
Part 3) Faustin and his wife Henriette are also important characters in the book. Describe them and their relationship to the Mayles. How do the couples interact?
Essay Topic 3
One of the only tourist locations the Mayles visit during their year in Provence is Aix.
Part 1) Describe the main street of Aix in detail.
Part 2) Describe the social behavior of the students in the cafes of Aix. How are their actions a bit silly. Do you think they are superficial and vain? Do you think they ever study? How do they differ from what you know about American college students? How are they the same?
Part 3) Describe the shops the Mayles visit in Aix and the restaurant they choose to dine at.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)