|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "Sayings of August?"
2. What idea did Madame Mayle have for getting the work on the house done before Christmas?
3. Which goats were supposed to do well in the race?
4. What is the main event of Christmas in Provence?
5. What does the postman relate about his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
2. What does Faustin advise the Mayles to do and why?
3. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
4. At the suggestion of Bernard, the pool man, where do the Mayles go to eat?
5. What is the irony of Christmas Day to the Mayles?
6. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
7. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
8. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
9. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
10. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter travels to the Cote D'Azur to visit his friend in one chapter.
Part 1) Describe the Cote D'Azur in detail.
Part 2 ) List the things about the Cote d'Azur that you find ugly, negative or repellent.
Part 3) Compare the region of Provence where Peter lives with the Cote d'Azur he sees on his trip to visit his friend.
Essay Topic 2
The Mayles, an English couple, buy a house with property in Provence with the plan to renovate it and spend a year there.
Part 1) Describe the house in as much detail as possible. Is is large? Is is wood, stone? Do you think the Mayles made a good choice by buying this house? Why?
Part 2) Describe the property. Are there any special features to the property?
Part 3) How do the house and property play a role in helping the Mayles establish relationships with different people in Provence?
Essay Topic 3
There are many colorful and interesting characters in the book. Three of them are Faustin, Menicucci and Massot. Write an essay on one of these three characters. Describe the character. What is characteristic of this character? Describe the character's physical appearance if it was important in the book. Describe his personality or character traits. Why do you find this character interesting? Why is this character important to Peter Mayle?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)