|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Massot say to Peter that was uncharacteristic of him?
2. What idea did Madame Mayle have for getting the work on the house done before Christmas?
3. What is the alcoholic content of the grapes?
4. What was the appearance of the hall where the investiture was to take place?
5. What happened to the elegant gathering when Vivaldi was replaced by Little Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
2. What is the irony of Christmas Day to the Mayles?
3. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
4. What does Faustin advise the Mayles to do and why?
5. Why can't the meter reader read the meter and how does Menicucci fix the problem?
6. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
7. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
8. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
9. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
10. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three weather conditions in Provence are introduced in the book. These conditions are: the Mistral, the snow and the rains. The book describes the affect these conditions have on the land and the people etc.
Choose one of these weather conditions which take place in Provence in the book and write an essay describing it and its affect on the land and people , the Mayles in particular.
Essay Topic 2
Time and time again throughout the book you can see how Peter and his wife treat the people of Provence: their neighbors, the workmen they hire , the people they meet in the village etc. Write an essay describing the way the Mayles view and treat the people they come in contact with in Provence. Do you think they have chosen a good approach to getting to know the people in Provence? Would you do likewise if you were to spend a year in Provence? If not, what would you do that would be different? Do you think the Mayles' friendly interaction with the people they come in contact with has the greatest impact on how they view their year in Provence? If not, what other thing is more important?
Essay Topic 3
Peter travels to the Cote D'Azur to visit his friend in one chapter.
Part 1) Describe the Cote D'Azur in detail.
Part 2 ) List the things about the Cote d'Azur that you find ugly, negative or repellent.
Part 3) Compare the region of Provence where Peter lives with the Cote d'Azur he sees on his trip to visit his friend.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)