|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Menicucci remind Peter to do?
2. What was the weather like in October?
3. What was the party that the Mayles attended in Gordes?
4. Where are the grapes weighed and tested for alcoholic content?
5. Who were the two uniformed men parked outside the Mayles' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
2. What English Christmas festivities did the Mayles miss?
3. At the suggestion of Bernard, the pool man, where do the Mayles go to eat?
4. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
5. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
6. Describe the Cote d'Azur.
7. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
8. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
9. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
10. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three weather conditions in Provence are introduced in the book. These conditions are: the Mistral, the snow and the rains. The book describes the affect these conditions have on the land and the people etc.
Choose one of these weather conditions which take place in Provence in the book and write an essay describing it and its affect on the land and people , the Mayles in particular.
Essay Topic 2
Choose the character in the book you like the least. Who is that character? What is his or her name? Describe his or her appearance if that is given. Describe his or her personality and character. Is this person important to the book or the Mayles? In what way? Why don't you like that character?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book the Mayles experience the Mistral.
Part 1) What is the Mistral? Where does it come from? Why is it important in the book? It appears twice in the book. Write a short description of the two different appearances of the Mistral.
Part 2) What are some of the effects on people and animals attributed to the Mistral in the book? How is the Mayles' house affected by the Mistral?
Part 3) Monsieur Menicucci has a theory about why the last three winters in Provence have been colder because of a change in the Mistral. Explain his theory. Does it seem
plausible to you?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)