|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the postman relate about his friend?
2. Where was Peter's friend's house built?
3. What surprise gift do the Mayles receive?
4. Who wanted to go through the crowd of spectators and goats and drivers?
5. Whom did Peter call when there was a problem with the house or property?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't the meter reader read the meter and how does Menicucci fix the problem?
2. Who is Roger and what happens to him?
3. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
4. Describe the Cote d'Azur.
5. Describe the dinner the Mayles are invited to in November.
6. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
7. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
8. What English Christmas festivities did the Mayles miss?
9. What does Faustin advise the Mayles to do and why?
10. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As has been mentioned before, there are many colorful characters among the people of Provence whom the Mayles come in contact with.
Part 1) Describe the neighbor, Massot. Is he a sympathetic character? An interesting character? What are some of the strange things he thinks and does?
Part 2) Menicucci is a character whom Peter turns to when he has a problem. Write an essay with a description of Menicucci which explains why Peter trusts him so. Mention some of the things Menicucci does for Peter in the book.
Part 3) Faustin and his wife Henriette are also important characters in the book. Describe them and their relationship to the Mayles. How do the couples interact?
Essay Topic 2
Of all the many characters in the book , whom do you like the most and why? Choose any character, describe him or her. What is his or her physical appearance, age, personality? How is the character important to the book? To the Mayles?
Essay Topic 3
Three weather conditions in Provence are introduced in the book. These conditions are: the Mistral, the snow and the rains. The book describes the affect these conditions have on the land and the people etc.
Choose one of these weather conditions which take place in Provence in the book and write an essay describing it and its affect on the land and people , the Mayles in particular.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)