|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dance did Peter like the best at the dinner honoring his friend?
2. What is Henriette, Faustin's wife, handy at?
3. What was the Cote d'Azur like when Peter visited it?
4. Where do the Mayles go to search for evidence of Christmas?
5. Who is the Mayles' guest who is disaster-prone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
2. How do the Mayles learn about bread?
3. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
4. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
5. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
6. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
7. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
8. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
9. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
10. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calendars play a part in the last section of the book. Write an essay answering some or all of the questions listed below:
What part do calendars play in the book? Which calendar has a funny picture?
What is it a picture of? Who gives the two different calendars to the Mayles?
Do the Mayles tip them? Do calendars play an important part in your life?
Do you use a free, commercial calendar or buy a specialized calendar dealing with a subject that interests you or having photos you like? Perhaps you buy a large wall calendar with spaces to plan each day, a desk calendar or a pocket calendar or several different calendar?
Essay Topic 2
There are many colorful and interesting characters in the book. Three of them are Faustin, Menicucci and Massot. Write an essay on one of these three characters. Describe the character. What is characteristic of this character? Describe the character's physical appearance if it was important in the book. Describe his personality or character traits. Why do you find this character interesting? Why is this character important to Peter Mayle?
Essay Topic 3
Different events happening at different times of the year in Provence are important to the book. For example there's the tourist season, the harvest season, the hunting season etc.
Choose one of the seasons mentioned above and write a detailed description of it in an essay How does learning about it help you understand Provence and its people better. How do they differ from you or from Americans in general? Why did you choose that topic to write about?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)