|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the local friends of the Mayles recovering from in September?
2. What do frugal Frenchmen hate to do?
3. How many bakers are listed in the yellow pages in Cavaillon?
4. Which goats were supposed to do well in the race?
5. What does the postman relate about his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the man Peter meets in the forest.
2. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
3. Why can't the meter reader read the meter and how does Menicucci fix the problem?
4. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
5. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
6. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
7. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
8. What does Faustin advise the Mayles to do and why?
9. How do the Mayles learn about bread?
10. What English Christmas festivities did the Mayles miss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Food is one of the most important things in the lives of the people of Provence.
Part 1 ) Describe some of the Provencal food you remember reading about in the book.
Where was it served? In a private home? In a cafe? In a restaurant?
Why did it make an impression on you? Would you like to eat it? Would you like to learn how to prepare it?
Part 2) Describe how the attitude of the people of Provence toward food differs from the attitude of Americans toward food? Go into detail.
Part 3) The Mayles learn a lot about mushrooms, bread and olive oil. Choose one of these foods covered in the book and write an essay on it.
Essay Topic 2
Now that you have read the entire book and this is the last essay topic, do you think that you would want to buy a house in Provence and live there for a year anytime during your life? Write an essay telling how the book influenced your answer to this question. Include anything in the book which supports and explains your answer.
Essay Topic 3
One of the only tourist locations the Mayles visit during their year in Provence is Aix.
Part 1) Describe the main street of Aix in detail.
Part 2) Describe the social behavior of the students in the cafes of Aix. How are their actions a bit silly. Do you think they are superficial and vain? Do you think they ever study? How do they differ from what you know about American college students? How are they the same?
Part 3) Describe the shops the Mayles visit in Aix and the restaurant they choose to dine at.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)