|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the two uniformed men parked outside the Mayles' house?
2. What is Henriette, Faustin's wife, handy at?
3. What present do the workers give the Mayles?
4. When did the Mayles leave the dinner?
5. Who advises the Mayles about olive oil?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
2. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
3. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
4. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
5. What does Faustin advise the Mayles to do and why?
6. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
7. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
8. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
9. At the suggestion of Bernard, the pool man, where do the Mayles go to eat?
10. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Food is one of the most important things in the lives of the people of Provence.
Part 1 ) Describe some of the Provencal food you remember reading about in the book.
Where was it served? In a private home? In a cafe? In a restaurant?
Why did it make an impression on you? Would you like to eat it? Would you like to learn how to prepare it?
Part 2) Describe how the attitude of the people of Provence toward food differs from the attitude of Americans toward food? Go into detail.
Part 3) The Mayles learn a lot about mushrooms, bread and olive oil. Choose one of these foods covered in the book and write an essay on it.
Essay Topic 2
In the book two markets are described. The Mayles go to these markets on Sunday. The first market they visit is in Coustellet, the second in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
Choose one of these markets and write an essay on the market including a detailed description of the market, the people at the market and what was sold at the market. Tell
why you thought the market you chose to write about was colorful or particularly interesting. Did you learn anything about the people in Provence from reading about the market? What did you learn?
Essay Topic 3
The Mayles, an English couple, buy a house with property in Provence with the plan to renovate it and spend a year there.
Part 1) Describe the house in as much detail as possible. Is is large? Is is wood, stone? Do you think the Mayles made a good choice by buying this house? Why?
Part 2) Describe the property. Are there any special features to the property?
Part 3) How do the house and property play a role in helping the Mayles establish relationships with different people in Provence?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)