|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the party that the Mayles attended in Gordes?
2. What do frugal Frenchmen hate to do?
3. What does the postman relate about his friend?
4. When did the Mayles leave the dinner?
5. How many goats and drivers took part in the goat race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
2. Describe the rusty contraption Peter finds at the edge of the vineyard.
3. How do the men of Provence prepare for hunting season?
4. How do the Mayles learn about bread?
5. What is the irony of Christmas Day to the Mayles?
6. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
7. Describe the woman who advises the Mayles about olive oil.
8. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
9. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
10. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many customs of kissing and body contact in Provence which differ greatly from the customs in America.
Part 1) Write a description of the different ways of kissing in France. How do they kiss in Paris? How do they kiss in Provence? Men kiss eachother. Does that repell you?
Part 2) Besides kissing there is other body contact in Provence. Describe it and its meaning?.
Part 3) Write a description of some of the different forms of body language the Provencals use. What are the different kinds of body language and what do they mean?
Essay Topic 2
There are many colorful and interesting characters in the book. Three of them are Faustin, Menicucci and Massot. Write an essay on one of these three characters. Describe the character. What is characteristic of this character? Describe the character's physical appearance if it was important in the book. Describe his personality or character traits. Why do you find this character interesting? Why is this character important to Peter Mayle?
Essay Topic 3
Choose the character in the book you like the least. Who is that character? What is his or her name? Describe his or her appearance if that is given. Describe his or her personality and character. Is this person important to the book or the Mayles? In what way? Why don't you like that character?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)