|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Massot say to Peter that was uncharacteristic of him?
2. What did the Mayles hope the sanitation men would do with the tip they gave them?
3. What do frugal Frenchmen hate to do?
4. What did the dogs discover on their morning walk?
5. How many bakers are listed in the yellow pages in Cavaillon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
2. Describe the dinner the Mayles are invited to in November.
3. What frightened friends of the Mayles who were staying at a nearby hotel?
4. What is the game the Mayles play at the end of July and why do they like it?
5. Describe the plan Madame Mayle has for getting the workmen back on the job to complete the work before Christmas.
6. List the locals who come to the Mayles for Christmas tips and tell what they bring as gifts
7. What does Menicucci do at the Mayles house in August?
8. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
9. In what year does Massot plan to sell his home and why?
10. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book the Mayles experience the Mistral.
Part 1) What is the Mistral? Where does it come from? Why is it important in the book? It appears twice in the book. Write a short description of the two different appearances of the Mistral.
Part 2) What are some of the effects on people and animals attributed to the Mistral in the book? How is the Mayles' house affected by the Mistral?
Part 3) Monsieur Menicucci has a theory about why the last three winters in Provence have been colder because of a change in the Mistral. Explain his theory. Does it seem
plausible to you?
Essay Topic 2
There are many customs of kissing and body contact in Provence which differ greatly from the customs in America.
Part 1) Write a description of the different ways of kissing in France. How do they kiss in Paris? How do they kiss in Provence? Men kiss eachother. Does that repell you?
Part 2) Besides kissing there is other body contact in Provence. Describe it and its meaning?.
Part 3) Write a description of some of the different forms of body language the Provencals use. What are the different kinds of body language and what do they mean?
Essay Topic 3
In the book two markets are described. The Mayles go to these markets on Sunday. The first market they visit is in Coustellet, the second in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
Choose one of these markets and write an essay on the market including a detailed description of the market, the people at the market and what was sold at the market. Tell
why you thought the market you chose to write about was colorful or particularly interesting. Did you learn anything about the people in Provence from reading about the market? What did you learn?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)