|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who started calling the Mayles in February?
2. What make of car was in the first automobile accident Peter encountered in Provence?
3. What's a good description of Massot's dogs?
4. Peter offers a ride to whom?
5. What animal had Monsieur Massot shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the arrangement the Mayles have with their neighbors concerning the grapes grown on the property?
2. What is Monsieur Menicucci's theory about why the winters in Provence were becoming colder?
3. List some of the things on the menu at the restaurant the Mayles visited in Buoux.
4. Why were the journalists happy about the lead story "Provence Under Blanket of Snow?"
5. Why did the workmen the Mayles hired disappear in March?
6. What were the reasons Faustin gave to Peter Mayle for no longer growing melons?
7. What was the biggest obstacle to the Mayles in buying a house in Provence?
8. Retell briefly the story Massot told about a peasant who coveted his neighbor's house.
9. What is Lucerne?
10. What does Menicucci's assistant wear in April?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the only tourist locations the Mayles visit during their year in Provence is Aix.
Part 1) Describe the main street of Aix in detail.
Part 2) Describe the social behavior of the students in the cafes of Aix. How are their actions a bit silly. Do you think they are superficial and vain? Do you think they ever study? How do they differ from what you know about American college students? How are they the same?
Part 3) Describe the shops the Mayles visit in Aix and the restaurant they choose to dine at.
Essay Topic 2
There are many colorful and interesting characters in the book. Three of them are Faustin, Menicucci and Massot. Write an essay on one of these three characters. Describe the character. What is characteristic of this character? Describe the character's physical appearance if it was important in the book. Describe his personality or character traits. Why do you find this character interesting? Why is this character important to Peter Mayle?
Essay Topic 3
As has been mentioned before, there are many colorful characters among the people of Provence whom the Mayles come in contact with.
Part 1) Describe the neighbor, Massot. Is he a sympathetic character? An interesting character? What are some of the strange things he thinks and does?
Part 2) Menicucci is a character whom Peter turns to when he has a problem. Write an essay with a description of Menicucci which explains why Peter trusts him so. Mention some of the things Menicucci does for Peter in the book.
Part 3) Faustin and his wife Henriette are also important characters in the book. Describe them and their relationship to the Mayles. How do the couples interact?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)