|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the local advertising industry do to influence and attract people?
2. How lond a trip was it to go buy a loaf of bread?
3. What season was over?
4. What is the name of the Provencal stew the Mayles wanted to make?
5. Where do the people of Provence go every Sunday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does donating blood in Provence differ from donating blood in England?
2. Describe the person who makes a telephone call to the Mayles at the end of March.
3. Describe Bernard, the man who was in charge of cleaning the Mayles' pool.
4. What was the biggest obstacle to the Mayles in buying a house in Provence?
5. What does Massot do in this chapter to keep tourists out of the National Park?
6. Describe the two photographs which appeared in the newspaper.
7. What gift did the pool man give to the Mayles?
8. Describe the market in Coustellet.
9. Describe the clothes Thierry Fructus, the insurance agent, wore.
10. What does Menicucci's assistant wear in April?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all the many characters in the book , whom do you like the most and why? Choose any character, describe him or her. What is his or her physical appearance, age, personality? How is the character important to the book? To the Mayles?
Essay Topic 2
Now that you have read the entire book and this is the last essay topic, do you think that you would want to buy a house in Provence and live there for a year anytime during your life? Write an essay telling how the book influenced your answer to this question. Include anything in the book which supports and explains your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book the Mayles experience the Mistral.
Part 1) What is the Mistral? Where does it come from? Why is it important in the book? It appears twice in the book. Write a short description of the two different appearances of the Mistral.
Part 2) What are some of the effects on people and animals attributed to the Mistral in the book? How is the Mayles' house affected by the Mistral?
Part 3) Monsieur Menicucci has a theory about why the last three winters in Provence have been colder because of a change in the Mistral. Explain his theory. Does it seem
plausible to you?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)