|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had come to a standstill?
2. What provided a final confirmation that warmer weather had arrived?
3. The Mayles received a copy of which magazine in the mail?
4. Who is the architect?
5. How many people move the stone table into the courtyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift did the pool man give to the Mayles?
2. Describe how truffles are gathered.
3. Describe some of the kissing practices in France.
4. What does the Mayles' temporary kitchen consist of?
5. What were the reasons Faustin gave to Peter Mayle for no longer growing melons?
6. Describe the clothes Thierry Fructus, the insurance agent, wore.
7. What was the biggest obstacle to the Mayles in buying a house in Provence?
8. What does Massot do in this chapter to keep tourists out of the National Park?
9. The dinner party the Mayles are invited to is memorable for what reason?
10. What is Lucerne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different events happening at different times of the year in Provence are important to the book. For example there's the tourist season, the harvest season, the hunting season etc.
Choose one of the seasons mentioned above and write a detailed description of it in an essay How does learning about it help you understand Provence and its people better. How do they differ from you or from Americans in general? Why did you choose that topic to write about?
Essay Topic 2
There are many colorful and interesting characters in the book. Three of them are Faustin, Menicucci and Massot. Write an essay on one of these three characters. Describe the character. What is characteristic of this character? Describe the character's physical appearance if it was important in the book. Describe his personality or character traits. Why do you find this character interesting? Why is this character important to Peter Mayle?
Essay Topic 3
Food is one of the most important things in the lives of the people of Provence.
Part 1 ) Describe some of the Provencal food you remember reading about in the book.
Where was it served? In a private home? In a cafe? In a restaurant?
Why did it make an impression on you? Would you like to eat it? Would you like to learn how to prepare it?
Part 2) Describe how the attitude of the people of Provence toward food differs from the attitude of Americans toward food? Go into detail.
Part 3) The Mayles learn a lot about mushrooms, bread and olive oil. Choose one of these foods covered in the book and write an essay on it.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)