|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the party that the Mayles attended in Gordes?
(a) an anniversary party
(b) a birthday party
(c) a very formal dinner party
(d) an informal swim party
2. What are the "Sayings of August?"
(a) Statements made by Menicucci and his men about the work they had to do.
(b) folk sayings of the Provencal peasants
(c) Statements made by mystified, tightfisted or apologetic visitors.
(d) Faustin's statements about the forest fire near Grasse
3. What was the tourist joke Faustin told about the English?
(a) "Who is so prim and proper they are shocked by the dress of the Provencal peasants?"
(b) "What changes from the color of a dead rat to the color of a dead lobster in three hours?"
(c) "Who pays exorbitant prices without blinking an eyelash?"
(d) "Wjp throws up the French food with regularity?"
4. What does Faustin suggest because a cold winter is predicted?
(a) the Mayles buy some skis
(b) the Mayles have their chimney swept
(c) the Mayles buy heavier winter clothing
(d) the Mayles stock their pantry with extra food
5. How many goats and drivers took part in the goat race?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Massot plan to possibly do when he retired and sold his home?
2. Who advises the Mayles about olive oil?
3. What happened to the elegant gathering when Vivaldi was replaced by Little Richard?
4. What were the local friends of the Mayles recovering from in September?
5. When the Mayles finally see Santa Claus what is he doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What English Christmas festivities did the Mayles miss?
2. What are the effects of the night storm that hits Lubyron in August?
3. How does Peter stock his wine cellar?
4. Why did the grapes on the Mayles' land have to be picked?
5. Describe the dinner the Mayles are invited to in November.
6. Why were the Mayles uncomfortable at the party they were invited to in Gordes?
7. What were some of the "August Sayings" of visitors to Provence?
8. Describe the man Peter meets in the forest.
9. How do the Mayles learn about bread?
10. What is the irony of Christmas Day to the Mayles?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)